Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Kunoichi Revolution ❯ Prt . 2 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kunoichi Revolution
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or any of the characters from the series.
 
 
A/N: Internet's still down so on with Chapter 7!
 
 
He heard her quick intake of breath as their lips came within inches of touching. “Neji” Brit whispered before everything went dark and quiet. “What the effing hell?” Neji asked as he jerked his head away and stumbled over to the light switch. Brit remained in place for a moment her heart still beating erratically. `Was he really going to do what I think he was?' She listened to the sound of the howling wind accompanied by the sound of Neji flipping the light switch and cursing under his breath. Taking a deep breath she said “I think the snow knocked the power out.”
 
 
“Yeah, probably” Neji replied before heading down the hall, feeling his way along the wall. “Hang on a sec where are you going?” Brit asked as she heard his footsteps heading away from her.
 
 
“To get some candles and flashlights out of the basement.” He said adding a curse after knocking his knee on the corner. “H-hang on I'm coming with you” Brit said half running and half stumbling to catch up with him. Together they slowly and awkwardly made their way to the basement door and down to the inky blackness of the basement itself. Where are the candles at anyway?” Neji asked straining his eyes to try and make out shapes in the darkness. “I don't know, just feel around till you find'em” Brit said groping along the shelf. The basement was relatively small with one eye level shelf, a small bookshelf and several boxes of old books, clothes and a family of mice. Neji stumbled over to the other side of the shelf and began feeling his way towards the middle.
 
 
“Found them!” the both said in unison as their hands landed on the candles at the same time. Even in the dark Neji spotted the instant blush that spread across Brit's face as she jerked her hand away. He watched her as she busied her fixing the lace around her neck with shaking hands. `Wonder what her problem is.' He thought as he dug around till he found the lighter. “You can find the rest for yourself I'm going back upstairs” Brit said accidentally letting her panic drip into her voice as she tried to calmly walk towards the stairs. Neji smirked as an idea formed in his head. As Brit stepped onto the staircase Neji snuck up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. He had expected her startle her a little but her reaction was completely different. She let out a scream, backhanded him hard across his face causing him to lose his grip and stumble backwards as she barreled up the stairs, slamming the door behind her.
 
 
`What the hell was that all about?' Neji asked himself as he rubbed the sore spot on his cheek; no doubt it would leave a bruise. After picking up the candles and finding the lighter both of which he had dropped when he had been struck, he headed back upstairs. He opened the basement door to find Brit sitting on the floor, slumped against the opposite wall with her knees drawn up to her chest, resting her head in her arms. Startled, Neji kneeled down beside her “Hey, you okay?” he asked gently her getting no response. Neji felt his stomach twist in knots, he hated seeing her like this, she looked so alone, so pathetic. He hated himself for causing her to be like this.
 
 
“Please Brit; don't give me the silent treatment.” He begged as he placed a hand on her shoulder. Brit's head jerked up as his hand made contact; she looked over at him in surprise as if she had just noticed he was there. “I'm fine Hyuga, good night” she said as she stood up and headed for her room. Neji felt the knot in his stomach tighten painfully when she called him by his last name. “Hang on a sec Brit,” he said as he reached up and grabbed her wrist. Neji felt his heart drop down to his stomach when Brit turned around to face him. Even in the intense darkness of the room he could see the deep redness in her face and the tears that brimmed her downcast eyes. “Come on now Brit, please don't cry” he said standing up and bringing his hand to rest on the back of her neck. He felt her muscles stiffen as she looked away from him. All she wanted was to just go to bed and wait for the morning sunshine.
 
 
She didn't like being so out in the open. She felt vulnerable, she couldn't see, she was afraid and worse of all the guy she wanted more than life itself was way to close for comfort. Under normal circumstances she would simply laugh and joke her way out of this awkward situation, but she never seemed to be in a normal situation where Neji was involved. “Please Brit, say something, look I'm sorry alright. I didn't mean to scare you.” Brit heard the plea in Neji's voice. She turned back to him and gave a weak smile. “Its fine Neji-kun, I just don't like the dark.” She replied. Neji smiled back at her and gave her neck a little squeeze. They stood together for a few moments in awkward silence. Finally Neji removed his hand from her neck and said “Well I guess it's getting kindda late, I'm gonna head for bed.”
 
 
“Yeah, me too” Brit said as she followed him up the stairs. As they walked to the end of the hall there was a loud crash above them. Brit, who was on pins and needles let out another scream and ran straight into Neji. Neji, who had turned around upon hearing Brit's scream, caught Brit in his arms as he fell backwards to lean against the wall.
 
 
While half of Neji was surprised to find himself holding his terrified crush in his lap, the other half of him was to consumed with protecting her from her fear to really care. He cradled her gently in his arms and stroked her hair while he whispered comforting words to her. Brit, meanwhile, was completely out of her mind with fear, her only thought was on feeling safe and at the moment that feeling could only be found with her face buried in the crook of Neji's neck and his shirt balled into her fists. They stayed like that for along time until Neji felt her breathing even out, a sign that Brit had fallen asleep. Neji let out a quiet yawn of his own before carefully laying his head on top of her and drifting off into on of the few peaceful sleeps he had.
 
 
A/N: OMG! I WANT MY INTERNET BACK! Well my internet's still down but I'm gonna copy these chapters onto a disk and post them on my parent's computers. Please tell me what you think! Oh and I'm also gonna post another story called “Beloved Nightmare” all of those who have read “Unexpected Ending” need to read this one. It's so awesome! Thanks for all the reviews! In Chapter 8 were taking a quick trip to America to check in on Kitty, Temari, Sakura and Hinata! ^_^