Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Pieces Of Me ❯ Endless Sleep ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Drabble Five

Title: Endless Sleep

Disclaimer: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto, not me. I own nothing mentioned here.

Summary: His eyes might not open, but he still knows what's going on. [NaruSasu]

A/N: Here's chapter five. This is an angsty one, folks. So sad. This idea was originally supposed to be in an all SasuNaruSasu continuation fic, but I changed my mind. That happens a lot. -- But review, please! Leave me some love or whatever in the little boxes. Ja!


~*Endless Sleep*~



Sasuke had been in a coma for the last three months, ever since he took a blow to the head during a mission. Tsunade could've easily remedied this, but as it was the fifth Hokage had been extremely busy. War was breaking out everywhere and she had to keep the peace in the village. Sakura was at his bedside every day, and when she wasn't, it was Naruto who was there. He sat in the chair she always occupied, blue eyes staring numbly at his best friend. He felt like it was his fault, because he hadn't been there to help the Uchiha out. So he did what he could to make the other boy comfortable, volunteering when the nurses came in while he was there. He kept the flowers watered and made sure the room stayed completely spotless. It was enough to keep his thoughts off of the boy lying unconscious in the bed.

The flowers that Sakura had brought in were pink-they always were-and she picked new ones at the beginning of every week. Her visits started to get longer, and Naruto had to resort to sneaking in during the night. He would turn on the lamp at Sasuke's bedside, and drop into the chair in the corner. The Uchiha was pale beneath the crisp cotton of the hospital bed sheets, and his chest rose and fell with steady breaths. His eyes didn't open, his fingers didn't twitch, and he didn't yell at Naruto for being so worried about him.

It was raining when Naruto climbed into the hospital window, rain dripping down from his hair to disappear into the collar of his shirt. Sasuke was like he always was, still and wrapped in sheets. His dark hair framed his face, and for one frightening moment, Naruto thought he looked dead.

Breathing shakily, the blond dropped into the seat in the corner, and leaned his head back. He was exhausted from the day's training, having pushed himself too hard so he wouldn't be able to think. It hurt to think, especially when someone you loved was hurt. He had been hurting a lot lately. Sakura didn't smile anymore, but on those rare occasions that she did, it was always pained and worried. That hurt Naruto, too.

"You need to wake up, teme." Naruto whispered into the dark, his voice barely a whisper. His throat was so scratchy and dry. "You're making people sad. You're making me sad." The blond stood on shaky legs and made his way to the other boy's bedside, where he turned on the table lamp. Sasuke was pale in the dim light, his dark hair making him look even paler than he usually was. "You must be bored here, just laying around all the time. Heh...I bet you're gonna want to train when you wake up. You know, when you find out how long you've been out."

The blond boy was answered with silence, like always. Sasuke didn't call him an idiot, or smack him for stating the obvious. It felt empty, and just so...wrong.

Slowly, a single tear dripped down a whiskered cheek, and Naruto's hand found Sasuke's underneath the cotton blanket. He squeezed it briefly, and another tear dripped down his cheek.

"I feel like it's my fault that you're like this. If only I could've-" Naruto broke off in a harsh sob, and tried to muffle them in the blankets. All of the frustration of the last three months broke free; soaking through the sheets as it drowned his eyes. He choked back apologies, tried to rein in his emotions. But when he lifted his head, it all came back and all he could do was ride it out until he was too exhausted to cry anymore.

He was numbly aware that he was still holding the other boy's hand, and for a moment he felt a desperate tugging in his stomach. As more tears spilled over his eyelids, he reached out with his free hand to trace Sasuke's jaw and up to the teen's lips, gently brushing his thumb over the bottom one.

"Wake up soon, okay, teme?" He murmured, as he leaned forward to press a soft kiss on the teen's lips. He lingered there for a moment, not ready to move away. But when he did, more tears spilled down his whiskered cheeks. "Wake up soon so we can get back to our training."

Naruto let go of Sasuke's hand then moved silently towards the window, pushing it open with the palms of his hands. Before he climbed out, he looked back over at the dark haired boy.

"I love you, Sasuke. Wake up so I can show you how much." And then he was gone, out into the cold rain; the feel of Sasuke's lips still fresh in his mind. Back up in the hospital room, pale fingers twitched and a slow smile spread over Sasuke's face.

"I'll see you in the morning, dobe."



~Owari~




There you have it, chapter five! Yay! Yosh! If you liked this one, review review review! Chapter six is on its way! Ja!