Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Precious ❯ Precious Ceremony ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Precious Ceremony

By Silver Dragonfly

The marriage of Uzumaki Naruto and Hyuga Hinata had initially been planned as a simple affair involving only the closest of friends. However, like all things involving Naruto-it quickly became anything but simple.

The initial invitation for the ceremony itself had started out rather small; Sasuke, Sakura, Kakashi, Kiba (with Akamaru), Shino, Kurenai, Neji, Hanabi, Kiyomaru, Tsume, Iruka, Jiraiya, and of course Tsunade conducting the ceremony. However, then Naruto remembered a promise made to invite the toad boss, Gamabunta, so the location was changed and reorganized. Then the couple had decided to invite the rest of the rookie nine as well as Neji's team from the time of their first Chuunin exam. So Tenten, Lee, Ino, Shikamaru, Chouji; in addition to Gai and Asuma were added the guest list.

With so many of the sensei's present, they felt it only fair to invite Ebisu-even if he had been Naruto's sensei for only a brief period. From that point the guest list just kept expanding and before the couple even realized it, over half of Konoha was officially or unofficially invited, and even if they weren't they were going to show up anyways. Then of course had come those that Naruto and Hinata had met in their travels-Tazuna the bridge builder and his family, Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro of the Desert and several others who had played either small or larger roles in their lives. With such a large gathering being planned it wasn't long before the nobles began to make curious inquiries, and upon discovering the wedding involved the heir of the Hyuga and the boy that was currently the Godaime's favorite for possible Rokudaime-they invited themselves.

This enormous affair left Shizune with the daunting task of organizing guard shifts for both the village and the wedding. An event of this size was bound to attract someone up to mischief. Shizune watched the goings on within the large arena from her post on the rim. The rest of her squad and the others she had assigned specifically to the arena were scattered around the perimeter. There was a sudden whoosh, followed by a large amount of shocked cries as Jiraiya did his part for the wedding and summoned Gamabunta, the giant toad boss, all but filling the arena floor. Naruto would have summoned the toad himself, but Jiraiya had offered, commenting that Naruto would need his stamina for other things. Tsunade had punched him-hard.

Shizune smiled as she as spotted Naruto as he made his appearance on the dais where the Kage's normally sat during the Chuunin exams-it was beginning. She turned and scanned the perimeter and frowned as she spotted one lone figure who had not been assigned as a guard watching the events within the arena from the shadows of a rooftop. She turned to her nearest teammate. When Genma acknowledged her, she made her way towards the cloaked figure. As she approached, the figure remained still, not shifting but rather keeping his attention focused on the events below. Shizune arched a brow as she recognized the figure.

"Hiashi-sama, Hinata and Naruto did not forbid you or any others of the Hyuga clan from attending. Why are you up here?"

The man seemed to sigh, but Shizune could see a sad smile grace his lips.

"Hinata is the heir of our clan, that fact cannot be changed. Uzumaki Naruto promised to change the Hyuga… for him to do that as the current clan head I cannot publicly support this wedding. The elders are annoyed, but they realize for the Hyuga to actively appose them… is to bring the ruin of the clan. Already Uzumaki has gained much respect and support throughout Konoha, particularly in his generation and those even younger. It is enough that Neji, Hanabi, and all the other Hyuga of their age are present despite the elders' orders that none would attend-it represents the changes that will come and have already started. I will watch my daughter take this step in her life from the shadows for it is the only way I am able."

Shizune was stunned by the sudden confession but turned to watch the ceremony just in time to see Hinata arrive dressed in a beautiful white wedding kimono.

"She balances Naruto in a way no one else can-he needs her just as she needs him. I don't see why the Hyuga has such a problem with it. Being the wife of the Rokudaime Hokage will not be a bad position for the head of the Hyuga clan."

Hyuga Hiashi responded without moving. "You believe in that boy so deeply?"

Shizune couldn't help but smile as she remembered first meeting Naruto. "If it wasn't for that boy as you call him, Tsunade-sama most likely never would have returned to Konoha. He was the one who reminded her just how important it means to be a part of this village. Of course I believe in him-they're starting."

The two said nothing more, instead focusing on the ceremony below.

*********

Tsunade smiled as she watched Hinata and Naruto sip from the same sake cup before passing it onto the other members of the wedding party. Two parts of the ceremony completed-the exchanging of vows, sake, and lastly, the couple would each exchange an item of choice. Many shinobi couples often gave each other specially ornamented weapons, but Hinata and Naruto had chosen to do something different, something unrelated to the daily life of a shinobi.

"With this last exchange of gifts you will be bound to each other as man and wife. You may exchange your gifts. Naruto-"

The blond haired young man grinned and pulled a thin silver band engraved simply to accent the three stones set into it out of the folds of his formal kimono and slipped it onto Hinata's finger.

"Hinata-"

Hinata blushed as she produced a similar silver ring with matching engraving, but no stones and slid it onto Naruto's finger, smiling brightly as his hand clasped hers before she could pull it away.

"I welcome the Uzumaki Clan to Konoha, its members Uzumaki Naruto, and Uzumaki Hinata."

There was a sudden burst of cheering from those closest to the dais (mainly those who were close friends of the newly wedded pair) and applause filtered in from the rest of the crowd. Before a rush to leave the stadium could begin, there was a sudden whoosh as everyone on and around the dais, including the boss toad Gamabunta, vanished from the stadium.

Shizune smirked as those who were left behind-mainly the majority of the village and the nobility that had invited themselves to the ceremony-began to exit the stadium. Any chance of trying to earn special note or privilege for possible future political situations with the couple were futile. She turned to the cloaked figure still standing nearby.

"The reception is at the Uchiha residence-I don't think Hinata or Naruto would be angry if you decided to make an appearance."

The elder Hyuga remained silent, his gaze still on the dais where he had just watched his eldest daughter and heir shed her family name and take that of the man she loved. "Thank you." He said softly and then was gone. Shizune shook her head.

"Oi, Shizu-chan, are we heading to the reception now?" Genma asked as he strolled along the rooftop till he was nearby.

Shizune turned to him smiling. "Hai. If we leave Jiraiya-sama and Tsunade-sama unattended at a celebration like this, there is bound to be a mess to be cleaned up."

The brown haired man smirked and then reached for her hand before they too vanished from the rooftop.