Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Legacy of Fire ❯ Best Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author’s Note: Hope everyone has enjoyed the first chapter of this story! This is the second chapter full of edits (which I think make it soooooo much better). Please let me know what you think as I appreciate views very much! :D Anywho, see you next chapter!

*~*~*~*~*~*
Best Friends

“God that was close!” Aiko said as she hunched over out of breath from her previous getaway on the main streets of Konoha. “Note to self: never ever again use the buildings as a highway when you're late to see dad.” Just as she finished her memo a she heard someone calling her name.

“Aiko! Aiko! Hold Up For A Second!”

She looked over to see her blonde haired friend running towards her. “Jeez Aiko! How far can you run?!” her friend said, her face flushed from running through the busy streets.

“Heh, sorry `bout that, Inoka. Its just-“ Before she could finish Inoka excitedly said with her fists clenched in excitement “Have you heard about the renegade ninja tearing up the roof in the village?! How do you” Now it was Aiko's turn to cut her off.

“Um…that was me.” She said with a slightly embarrassed face and a single hand behind her head.
 
Inoka's dark brown eyes gave her a look of disbelief. “Now, now Aiko, this is no time for making up such ridiculous stories.” She said, raising her eyebrows and crossing her arms.

“I'm not joking. I was late to a mission assignment for dad so I had to use the roofs instead of the streets. I don't think dad would appreciate me running over pedestrians and turning over food carts.” Inoka sighed in dismay.

“I don't think so either” she stated lightly “So let me guess, you ran before your dad could say anything about it.”

Aiko smiled “Bingo” she said sing-song, a mischievous light filling her brilliant cerulean orbs.

Inoka sighed again and placed her hands upon her hips “You are totally hopeless aren't you, Aiko.”

“Yep, sure am.” She said with her father's trademark fox-like grin.

“Say, how about we go get some ramen. I'm starving.” She said, motioning her hand to come with her. Inoka returned a mile and replied “Okay, then I can tell you the latest gossip on your teammates.”

 
*~*~*~*~*~*

Finally arriving at Ichiraku's, Aiko ordered her usual miso pork ramen while Inoka ordered plain beef ramen. Both girls were anxious to talk about the latest gossip as they waited for the famous Mr. Ichiraku to prepare their meal. “Inoka, you said you had some juicy gossip on my teammates? What could you possibly have on either of those two?” The blonde haired girl gave her trademark impish grin. Aiko, who was fiddling with some chopsticks between her fingers, became rather intrigued when she saw her lifelong friend flash that grin at her. Every time she ever did, there was always something interesting she had in mind.

“Well, I heard something about Kenshirou.” At the mention of his name she quirked an eyebrow before saying, rather frustrated, “Just spit it out already! You know I hate to wait!”

“I heard Kenshirou Hyuuga has the worst case of a crush on…” Aiko's heart was racing and a blush began to spread across her face. Inside she was debating with her other self quite frantically.

“Oh. My. God. OH MY GOD!! Kenshirou has a crush on someone?! What if its me?! It can't be me! He just likes me as a friend, nothing more…”

'CHA RIGHT! You two spend so much time together training! It has to be you!'

What are you saying?! We train together because Hiroshi is always off with that dog of his! But then again…he does give me those eyes when we go walking after training…

`Like hell he does! You can't forget he always walks you home after training andhe has healed your leg when landed wrongthat time…”
True…

 
FLASHBACK~~~~~

It was already evening as the blue sky became painted with warm red and orange hues while birds cawed and crowed. The clashing of kunai could be heard ringing throughout the training grounds of Konoha. “KENSHIROU!!!!” yelled a girl as she charged at a boy with long brown hair pulled back into a pony tail and pale eyes. Picking up speed, she threw a slew of shuriken towards the boy, launching herself backwards in the process. He frowned as he created a whirlwind, buffering the blades that threatened to slice him. It was merely a distraction as she performed a series of seals and sent four shadow clones barreling towards him, each with kunai held tightly in their grasp. In his fighting stance, the pale eyed boy wiped them out one by one, a fist, side strike, or kick meeting the vital points of each clone.

“Aiko, is that the best you can do? I would expect more of a challenge from the Hokage's own flesh and blood!” He announced fiercly, placing himself in an all-too-familiar stance while the clouds of smoke left from the clones dissipated.

“DON'T UNDERSTIMATE ME KENSHIROU!!”

Activating his Byakuugan he lept forwards in a burst of inhuman speed in an attempt to evade the glimmering objects behind him. The kunai strike the ground one by one and he once again tries to evade the steel objects thwarting him. Ricocheting off a tree, he turns to send a roundhouse and knock away the next few knives aimed for him. However as his leg swings around to reflect the oncoming objects, he feels cold metal strings wrap around his leg.

It was a trap.

He turns, only to be met by a furious fist to his face.
 
Flying through the air, Kenshirou attempts to rid himself of the chakra wires that are digging into the flesh of his right leg with his last kunai only to be pulled back by the wires and thrown against the ground, knocking the wind out of him.

“I THOUGHT YOU WANTED MORE OF A CHALLENGE HYUUGA!!! WHO'S IT NOW?!”

As the ninja say, underestimating one's opponent is a death wish as all was not as it seemed as Aiko was pulled deep into the ground. She felt the cold earth around her break as she was forcefully pulled under. “DAMN IT!!” she yelled, struggling to free herself as Kenshirou squatted down next to her. He wore a smile that made her heart melt.

“Guess I win. Now how about-“ before he could finish Aiko wore a smirk on her face.

“You think this is over? I think not!” She yelled as she released chakra from every pore in her body, shattering the earth around her. As she flew into the air she made the hand signs for a jutsu the young Hyuuga had never seen before.

“KENSHIROU NOW IT'LL REALLY BE OVER!! NINJA ART: HELLFIRE JUSTU!!” As she called out an aura of chakra began to form around her. Then suddenly...the chakra began to ignite. All around her body she was engulfed in flames. “TAKE THIS!” she screamed, flipping and releasing a drop kick to the ground and releasing a torrential wave of flames racing along the beaten earth on a collision course with her opponent.. Kenshirou could not escape.

The flames were meant to encircle the opponent from the ground. If he jumped, he would be directly seared by Aiko herself.

He had no choice…

”EARTH STYLE: STONE WALL JUTSU!”

A giant encasing of earth sprung upwards surrounded him as the flames ruthlessly pounded at the wall, traveling up the cylindrical barrier. Searing the earth, he knew this attack of hers all to well. It wouldn't stop unless he gave up.

And at this rate, he was going to be baked alive.

He could feel the earthen barrier becoming weaker, letting the heat through, and he didn't have enough chakra to charge an attack on her.

It was over.

“AIKO I SURRENDER!!”

With that the flames stopped and his barrier fell.

The air smelled of burnt earth and dirt. Kenshirou fell to his knees, panting heavily in the mound of dirt that surrounded him. Aiko wasn't too far off. She had used most of her chakra and she too fell to the ground. As she laid there on her back, also struggling for air, she heard her teammate speak. “Aiko…that was…a great sparring…session” he said breathlessly. She replied “Yeah…it was really…great” she smiled.

“And you won” he said happily.

Rolling over she looked at him and asked nervously with her chest violently heaving “How about we…you know, go have dinner someplace to celebrate this awesome achievement in my career.”

Kenshirou got up and walked over to her flustered teammate who was laying on the ground and said “Yeah, I think we should celebrate. What, this is one out of 50?” he joked.

“Shut it! F.Y.I. it's only 1 in 16! But I still need dinner because I think I'm going to die of hunger rather than chakra exhaustion.”

“Yeah”

As she tried to get up she fell back down. “Ah! Damn it! I think I landed on my ankle wrong…I can't heal it. I think I’m near out of chakra…”

“Here, let me wrap it” he said as he pulled out some binding from the pack attached to his hip and carefully bound it around her ankle.

By this point, Aiko was blushing profusely and she could barely manage to say anything without stuttering. “T-thanks. U-uh…we should get going...” With that, he wrapped her arm around his shoulders and carefully lifted her up. Then he said the words that every kunoichi wants to hear when they are beaten by the boy of their dreams, well, at least her.

“Climb on.” She was dumbfounded.

“What?”

“I'll give you a piggy back ride to Ichiraku's. How about it?” She could feel her heart beating madly in her chest. She couldn't even manage words so she nodded `yes'. He was going to take her out on a date, er, `celebratory' round of ramen. That night they went to dinner and he carried her home to a worried Naruto and Sakura. They were happy to see she was alright but Sakura was even happier to see she was with a handsome boy, a Hyuuga no less. That night Aiko realized how close they had gotten. They had been through hell and back, becoming best friends along the way.

 
FLASHBACK END~~~~

 
“Earth to Aiko…Aiko! AIKO!”

“HUH? WHAT?!”

“I had been calling your name and you zoned out before I even told you the good part!” Inoka said, crossing her arms, looking defeated. “You really are hopeless, as I was saying, you know who Kenshirou likes?” Aiko once again was blushing and her heart was racing. Inoka then smiled and said agonizingly slow, “He likes…oh look our ramen's up!”

“INOKA CUT THE INTERUPTIONS!!” she said slamming her hands onto her lap, the bowls of ramen shaking.

“Alright! Alright! He likes” Aiko's heart sped up “Midoriko”

Aiko muttered an almost inaudible `oh', looking as glum as ever, her pink locks shadowing her eyes.

Then Inoka said happily “Nah! Just kidding! He likes you!” Aiko fell off of her chair in pure shock, somehow managing to land directly on her head. She felt all warm and fuzzy inside and her mind had to call an emergency meeting as Inner Aiko was waving a flag that said `HE LOVES YOU!'.

“HE LIKES YOU AIKO! HE REALLY, REALLY LIKES YOU! I TOLD YOU DUMMY!”

“HE LIKES ME! CHA! HE LIKES ME! AND I LIKE HIM! THIS IS PERFECT!”

Inoka jumped off her stool then held up Aiko. “OH MY GOD!! AIKO ARE YOU ALRIGHT?! MY GOD I DIDN'T THINK YOU'D FAINT ON ME!” the blonde asked, worried that her friend would have gotten a head injury the way she fell. “Inoka, I think I'm going to have a heart attack.” The pink haired girl said as she grabbed her chest. Her face looked like a tomato.

“You should go see him after you eat! The sooner he's your boyfriend the better! Those fan girl's of his won't know what hit `em!” Inoka said joyously. She just loved playing matchmaker.

“I don't think that's a good idea at all. I might puke or something. It's just not-“ she was cut off by an excited Inoka. “Hey girl, just relax. When you eat, you'll feel better.” Aiko sighed defeated.

“I guess so…but he better kiss me otherwise it's a no go!” Inoka and Aiko laughed preparing to eat. Neither could believe she said that. What was a poor girl in love to do but confess her undying love to the man of her dreams? Okay, a bit much, but still confess right? He was the village hottie and one of the richest boys/shinobi in the village. This would be news for the newspapers around the village. Aiko could just imagine it-

“New Hyuuga Heir and Hokage's Daughter Together”.

Again off in fantasy land as she imagined them married with little white-eyed children bounding about the enormous yard. Inoka rolled her eyes and took a bite of her steaming ramen. She was so proud of herself; she was just about to hook-up the future Hokage and the future Heir of an entire fortune. This was to be her life's achievement, well, next to becoming the best kunoichi in the spy division just like her mom. She already had made up a plan. Afterall, she was born for spying! With the IQ of a genius and a talent for invading others’ minds, she had done some major reconnaissance.
 
The fair blonde girl grinning evilly and unbeknownst to her, was being questionably eyed by her pink-haired best friend.

“What the hell is she up to now? God, I seriously must learn some sort of telepathic jutsu to read her.”

“Really.”

“This day has become ridiculously exiting and I can't take it. I really can't take it.”

“I'm with you sister. This is ridiculous. Let's just get the guy and be whisked off into the sunset and live happily ever after.”

“You said it.”

Her conversations with her Inner Aiko had to be a sign of mental instability. However, her mom and dad always told her she had a special ability. Maybe this was it? A possibility, next to perfect chakra control, and an enormous storage of chakra, and the repetitive dreams involving a very rude, and very large fox.

She hated the fox.

Every time she had a dream of kissing Kenshirou, it would be violently disrupted by a crude laugh and the appearance of the fox who would instigate her with its remarks.

But, back to reality. Maybe she should go talk to Kenshirou after lunch? What does she have to lose…besides her dignity…and the possibility that he didn't want a serious relationship with his teammate which could compromise their performance in battle. It was time to make some changes in her life, some big changes. Time to put her life in gear and sort out a plan for the future, and hopefully have it work out.