Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Legacy of Fire ❯ Familiarity ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author’s Note: Sorry the story is moving at a snail’s pace but it’s time to rev up those engines!!! The song that inspired this chapter is called “Keisei Gyakuten” from the Shippuden Soundtrack. Let’s get into some action! ONWARDS!!!

----------------------
Familiarity

A flash of colors darted through the maze branches and trees, leaving a wake of turned up leaves. “DAMN! HURRY GUYS! DO YOU WANT TO GET CAUGHT?!?!” Aiko was in a frenzied panic, her eyes darted back to her companions. There was someone watching them, Aiko could feel it, and they had to move to a safer location. She had absolutely no plan for the aftermath and all she had to go on was pure instinct and what little chakra she had felt before. All she knew was that Bin had taken off before the rest of the group and was hidden somewhere near the group’s usual riverside hangout. He would be there to deliver the bag of scrolls to another relay point which Hiroshi would disclose to Bin upon arriving. Step by step, the trio made their way closer to the desired relay point. Suddenly Hiroshi stopped behind Kenshirou and Aiko.

“Guys…” he began to sniff the air, crouching down on all fours. He began to growl, testament to the disturbing thought that the group could possibly be followed by someone. Kenshirou narrowed his eyes in the direction Hiroshi had been focused. “Byakugan!” Veins formed around Kenshirous eyes, his demeanor still calm but the feeling of fear slightly clawed at the back of his mind. Aiko was becoming more and more perturbed as her comrades surveyed the area. She could feel a feel something was completely off about this whole situation. Although she had no distinct ability like Kenshirou or Hiroshi, she could still feel a faint presence nearby and was able to feel the magnitude. “I don’t like this at all. Kenshirou, can you see anything?” Hiroshi said quietly, his voice was ridden with a feral terror. Kenshirou looked towards Hiroshi and could see his animalistic tendencies began to appear as elongated fangs peaked from a beast-like grimace and eyes sharpened as his cousin let out an audible snarl. Kenshirou prepared himself for an ANBU encounter however, this was no ANBU squad. They worked in teams and there was only a single individual covered in a black cloak barreling towards the team. Whoever was nearing had incredible speed and moving directly towards them in a haphazard fashion.

Aiko could feel the magnitude of the chakra increasing as the figure was closing the gap between them then it suddenly dissipated.

 She prepared herself to fight, shifting her stance slightly with a kunai in hand until something clicked in her mind.

This was a genjutsu.

“Shit…” she said under her breathe. “Kenshirou, Hiroshi it’s a genjutsu.” Her voice was hushed. Both of them nodded and with “Release!” the illusion fell around them, the appearance of the forest warping as she did so. The unseen force may have disappeared but the three knew danger was never gone until the enemy was deader than dead. All three stood back to back watching for the enemy. “Kenshirou can you see anything?” Aiko said forcibly. He nodded positively and judging by his tightly clenched jaw, she knew that the source of chakra he had seen was strong and too much for them to handle. Aiko tightly clutched the bag in her hands.

“Kenshirou, Hiroshi…I want you to leave whoever this is to me.”

The two looked at her stunned.

“Aiko what the hell?! You can’t handle this alone!” Hiroshi said, his fist clenched tighter around a kunai.

“Hiroshi’s right. That chakra…the three of us in comparison are nothing. It’s best if we retreat now.”

“I knew you could be insane but I never considered you one to commit suicide!” Hiroshi was in a full-fledged uproar in the situation. He glanced out of the corner of his eye to Kenshirou who had his Byakugan activated. “Even I agree with him. Aiko I don’t want you to…”

The last part remained unsaid as he relaxed, turned slightly, and pulled her into a tight embrace, his eyes clamped shut. Aiko let go a small smile and returned his affection to her.

“Kenshirou you’re forgetting one thing...” her voice was hushed, soft.

“I’m never going to die. I’ll be Hokage one day. I promise that.” Her smile was an all too familiar sight.

She gently bent up to kiss his lips, his fingers entwined in her pastel hair. A tear fell from the corner of her eye as she broke away, and stared into his pale eyes. “Believe it.” She whispered.

“Hiroshi let’s go.” Hiroshi stood up upon the command of his cousin and he and Aiko did a secret handshake that the team had made up when they were younger before separating. “Take care. He needs you to come back alive…We all do.” He said, looking in the direction of Kenshirou.

“I will.”

Kenshirou grabbed the bag offered to him and grabbed her hands and gave them a gentle squeeze before letting them slip away and leave.

Turning to the oncoming chakra, she mustered all the chakra within her body and prayed. “Please let me be strong…give me strength Dad. Let me be the kunoichi you and mom always wanted.” Suddenly her body became filled with a warm feeling. A surge of chakra emanating from within and began to surround her. Her azure eyes where focused on the approaching figure.

“Bring it!”

The black cloaked figure lept forwards to her, kunai in hand. Jumping forwards to meet the figure with all of her strength, it vanished. “Two can play at that game…” she thought, her hands gliding into the appropriate signs “Kage bushin no jutsu!” All of a sudden the trees and ground where inundated with shadow clones. She could feel the chakra spinning around her, spiraling in a dizzying manner to the point where she couldn’t feel the beginning or end. The enemy was toying with her. Just as she was about to send her clones out a pain struck her back, sending her flying across the ground, her body tumbling into and destroying a massive oak tree. She lied there motionless for a brief moment before struggling to get up, her eyes just barely peaked open. “Just who the hell are you,” her eyes began to flicker with something feral “and what do you want?” A chilling laugh resonated. Frantically her blue eyes darted, searching for the voice.

“Hn. I thought the Hokage’s own flesh would be more of a challenge.”

Aiko’s eyes widened. The voice was eerily familiar. Those words were familiar.

“SHUT UP BASTARD!” She screamed out, rage filling her body.

“Such a disappointment…I really expected a gorgeous and talented kunoichi but all I see is a weak, pathetic, and lowly girl with a massive forehead.”

“FUCK YOU!” Aiko snarled, and BANG! One of her fist struck the ground, a shock wave tearing up the earth around her and sending trees crashing to the ground. Aiko pulled back her fist and waited for the muddled sounds of beleaguered birds and disheveled flora to dissipate. Such a simple move couldn’t have taken such a strong opponent out. “COME ON! IS THAT THE BEST YOU’VE GOT?!” her words were returned with the same chillingly sinister laugh as before. Aiko’s face contorted in annoyance. “COME OUT AND FACE ME COWARD!” She couldn’t help but let her emotions seep out as she braced herself for another attack. The enemy was playing games and she didn’t play games.

“My, my. We’ve got such a temper do we not?”

The voice was taunting her, prodding her to lose her focus. Her Shadow Clones were looking all around getting destroyed in a puff of smoke one by one and she could only look on and let her mind race with a tactic to ensnare this enemy. The air was filled with the fog of Shadow Clones and Aiko didn’t know where to look as the black figure darted chaotically around her. She threw two fists of kunai in opposite directions.  Suddenly, her body was paralyzed as she felt a chakra wires dart from behind and turn her body around. What she saw next made her hair stand on end. He had jet black hair and a handsome pale face but what startled her most were- his eyes. His eyes were blood red. They were hypnotic, inviting her to give in to fear, reaching into the depths of her being and making her feel as if she was being smothered. Yet she couldn’t look away as all the questions she had had flooded her mind along with a strange image she couldn’t place where she had seen. His lower face was masked by a black cloth but she could tell he was pleased he could intimidate her so.

“You’re strong kunoichi, I’ll give you that, but not as smart as one would think.” His voice was like honey laced with arsenic, alluring but nevertheless deadly. “So brash, racing into battle without a single formulated plan… I’m sure the Hokage would be disgraced if anyone ever knew.” Aiko had wanted to rip out his trachea then slice open his body and rip out his entrails and stuff them in his mouth and watch him squirm. However, her body betrayed her, refusing the move.

“You can’t possibly be struck with fear can you? What about those brave words?”

A small smile played on Aiko’s lips as her eyes became shadowed by her mussed pink bangs.

This wasn’t over yet.

Jumping away and releasing Aiko, the foreign ninja grasped his shoulder, a small amount of blood dampened his finger tips. “I prefer close combat to anything else especially when I have the chance to beat some lame ass ninja like you.” A smirk played across Aiko’s lips. The ninja could only stare as he saw a kunai in a hand that had wiggled free of the wires.

“Impressed ‘friend’? I don’t really know who you are but I want to know what business you have with me.” Launching towards his body, he vanished and a crater left in his place as Aiko’s fist struck the ground, debris flying into the air.

“You’re fast…BUT NOT FAST ENOUGH!” Aiko flicked off a few incoming kunai with her chakra scalpel and let her fist fly into a wide eyed ninja, sending him flying across rubble and into a large boulder. It caved inwards and dust obscured her view. A battle was never over till the enemy was dead and rotting. Running forwards she formed chakra in both of her palms, the blue masses of glowing chakra beginning to rotate, breaking the air around them. In the blink of an eye Aiko did something she had only seen once. “I guess it’s time to try something new!” She began to force the two masses into each other, the amount of force visible on her face, her arms shaking as the forces crashed into each other.

“OODAMA RASENGAN!” She threw her arms in one massive strike into cloaked ninja, sending him spiraling across the ground, his body spinning even as it made contact a large tree and went through the tree itself into another.

Chest heaving, she watched as the corpse fell to the ground. Her eyes widened as the body melted into what looked like clay. Bounding upwards into the tree she knelt down and listened. Cursing inwardly she closed her eyes and listened to the sounds around her and began feeling for chakra footprints. A strange ability she had developed as a child and never hoped to use, now was about to save her life. An orchestra of earsplitting whistles and shrieks made her cover her ears. She furrowed her brows together, and looked below her and what she saw made her heart stop cold. It was a hand full of white hot lightening. He was using Raikiri! Kakashi was one of two people who ever knew it and he always referred to the other person as a dead man.

Putting a hand into a single sign as the enemy ninja flew towards her with a roaring fist of electricity, she disappeared in a flash. Aiko relocated to the ground, and quickly looked towards her previous location. The damage caused by raikiri evident, large heated rocks and small pebbles raining to the ground along with broken tree limbs and leaves. Aiko growled in frustration.

This made no sense.

Who the was this enemy ninja who was able to use Raikiri?

How come he had red eyes?!

All those questions bombarded her senses as she told herself to neglect everything she had ever been told. He then appeared before her and a barrage of kicks and punches ensued. Her right back-kick was blocked by a single arm, his kunai deflected by her left hand guard. Mustering chakra into one fist she hit the nin, only to have it blocked and his feet scrapping the ground as he was forced backwards. A shower of kunai heading straight for the nin were easily blocked. However, chakra stings quickly enveloped the mysterious ninja’s body, making him cry out in anguish. Pulling the strings back with her, she watched as again the body melted away. Turning her head she stared towards him materializing form upon a tree branch. “WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!” She yelled gazing at the nin standing dignified and lethal. Slowly he pulled the cloth around his lower face down, a sinister smile played on his lips.

“Shinrui, Shinrui Haimasen”