Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ To Love and To Reason ❯ Hopeless Expectations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To Love and To Reason
A Naruto Fan Fiction Story
Starring:
Uzumaki Naruto
Subaku no Temari
Uchiha Sasuke
Haruno Sakura
Nara Shikamaru
Yamanaka Ino
 
I found the right person, gave him perfect love
It was the right time, everything was perfect
Except for one thing
For him, I wasn't the perfect girl
And
I wasn't even close to being the right one.
 
 
Chapter 2: Hopeless Expectations
 
If she's not mistaken, this bottle of sake would be her eighth. She's been here in the hotel bar for about an hour after finishing the meeting she had with the Hokage. She still could contain the intoxication she's having from the beverage that she's been drinking for the past 30 minutes, but the pain that she's been suffering is unbearable. Probably, if her judgment was right, this feeling that she's trying to cope up would be fatal, just a few more bottles would surely bring her to the oblivion. She's not that alcohol-tolerant, but her body seems to be indulging every drop of it. The sweetness is something addictive that she finally realizes how the Hokage have this kind of undying love on it. She smiled to herself and breath out a heavy sigh.
 
Hmmmm… you're one troublesome woman Temari….
 
To be exact, its been four months and twenty-eight days when she arrived here in Konoha, and at that period of time, surely, she had fallen in love with the village itself, needless to say, her assigned bodyguard, the Nara genius - Shikamaru. At first, she admitted it that she really doesn't like his company since his character of being lazy really pisses her off. In contrast with that, she also admitted to herself that this guy somehow touches something that she thought to be invincible into such kind of feelings.
 
Two days, and this would be over….
 
She started to reminisce the first time that she wandered around the village with the invitation of the Nara that did it forcefully. How could she forget that moment when a picturesque view of the sunset would look like too near to you that you'll surely find yourself awestruck of its undying beauty? She dreamt of that moment that she'll be with a special someone on a very special place looking on the sunset, and at that moment, that Nara guy was with her, telling her that that's one of his favorite spot that he wanted her to see it.
 
“I love this place…” breathed the Nara genius while in his usual sitting position - cross legs, elbows on knees, and head supported by his palms. He switches his gaze to the ambassador that he's been taking care off for a month. He smiled inwardly, happy that she admired the view, that's what the Hokage asks him anyway, make her stay unforgettable.
 
“I've never seen such a good view, Suna doesn't have such kind of picturesque…” she sighed as she clutches her knees to her chest and lays her chin on it. How she loved the peaceful scenery…
 
“Hn… (sigh) we better go now…” as he stand up and offer her a hand with his eyes stuck on the almost gone star.
 
“Should we really have to go?” she pouted her lips. How could she leave this place anyway? If she would be ask, she won't go, she wants to stay on that spot till the sky darkens and show its elegant beauty when the only source of light are the twinkling stars and the exquisite beauty of the full moon.
 
“Hn. You're troublesome woman… you still have to do your papers for tomorrow's meeting with Tsunade-sama…” he grunted as she take his hand and stand up. They both dusted their clothes off and headed back to the Hokage's office. She took a last look on the sky and whispered her long lasting admiration and turns her gaze to Shikamaru. She blushed at the moment after their eyes met something that's unusual for her. She nodded her head and they continue walking…
 
She raised her hands as she called the waiter for her bill. Maybe eight bottles would be enough, anyway, there's still two days to go before leaving to Suna. She must have some spaces for tomorrow's newfound drinking session. Also, she didn't want to paste a very unlikely reputation of herself being the drunken ambassador of peace of Sunagakure, to Konoha villagers, her integrity still matters to her. She laid down a hundred riyou bill on the platter as she put her large fan on her back.
 
Surely, this is one heck of a day….
 
She carefully seeks for something to hold on since she had become light headed after drinking the last two bottles. As she reached a handrail, she started walking to the exit, but being drunk, her visions are blurry, but somehow, she continued to walk. Another smile curves her lips when another memory hit her…
 
A ball was held in the Hyuuga manor for the engagement party of the Hyuuga heiress to Inuzuka Kiba. Being idolized by the clan's heiress due to her strength and ability, she was personally invited by her. She was given the opportunity to have one day off for her meetings since the heiress asked the Hokage to do so. Shopping was really a good thing but to be accompanied with a whining genius, who would not be irritated?
 
These are enough Temari-san…” the genius started to talk, his face obvious of irritation, and who wouldn't? His work is to guard her, not to be her personal assistant, like bringing all of her stuffs! She gave him a deadly glare, signifying that she's the boss and he's not!
 
“Go now if you still love your life Nara!” she snapped, her piercing glare never leave the Nara's eyes, but much to her frustration, it never penetrates him, instead he dropped all of her shopping bags to the floor and leave her behind. She started to redden in anger, her escort just leaves her behind, but she didn't walk after him. She gathers all her bags one by one, but stopped when the Nara genius came back, with a pushcart. He breathed out a sigh as he grabs all of the bags from her and carefully placed it the pushcart.
 
“Hn. Troublesome.” as he let out a small smile and they continue on walking
 
At 8:00 sharp, they reached the Hyuuga estates and welcomed by the heiress herself. She gave her the gift she bought and finally, ushered to the main hall. Everyone seems to be in high spirits when all of the Konoha 11, except for the absence of two shinobis - Ino Yamanaka who was assigned to be a captain of an ANBU squad to take care of the royalties in the Hidden Star, and of course, the avenger missing-nin Uchiha Sasuke.
 
After the announcement of the couple, the music started to play, from the fast ones up to slow melodies. She admired how the others find their partners really fast, and found herself laughing when the blonde-haired loud mouthed shinobi and the taijutsu master have their glare fight of whom the pink-haired kunoichi will pick to be her dance partner. It was not that long when she felt a hand lay on her shoulder with none other than her bodyguard Shikamaru Nara, who surprisingly asks her to dance with him after what had happened on that afternoon.
 
The music played very slow, and they were already on the dance floor. She place her right hand on his shoulder while his left hand on her waist. Their other free hands have touches each other which make her blush a little, and fortunately, the Nara guy didn't seem to notice it at all.
 
“Time really flies so fast huh?” she started the conversation. It's true anyway, it's already the second month of her stay, and her relationship with the Nara genius seems to have reached to a higher level after the teasing that the Uzumaki was bringing to them. Seeing them together was enough for the former dead-last to think that they were dating, but much as she wanted to be called it that way, Shikamaru cleared it to him that she was just assigned to be her bodyguard, period.
 
“MmmHmm, and I wonder, how will your stay make my life close enough to disaster.” he snorted and she pouted her lips in a cute way. He let out a small smile again seeing a lady like her acting like in her teen-age years.
 
From their holding hands, Shikamaru let it go and put his right hand to her waist, as she flung her arms to his neck. Their eyes met again, and she started to redden again. She placed her head to his chiseled chest and he didn't even react, instead, he even makes her feel his warmth when he enclosed her with his embrace.
 
Finally, she reached the exit and found the stair leading to the entrance of her room. Carefully, she lay her palms flatly on the cold walls as she makes it sure that she won't get stumbled from any blockage, or else, she would be noticed that she's drunk. Good thing that it's already around nine o'clock, the lobby started to empty of the check-ins, and her room was just there in the second floor, the first one in the right. That would not make her difficult to go there as soon as possible.
 
Her feet started to wobble, her vision is blurrier than before, and much worse, her head started to ache like pounded with hammers. She tried to ignore it, as she seeks a place to make herself rest for a moment. Then there she saw the sofa that was ten steps far from her current place. With her huge fan as her `cane', she managed to have her way to it, trying to ignore the eyes that were setting on her, curious of what had happened to the Suna's ambassador.
 
She slumps her body to it and finds a comfortable position. She just needs a rest, and after a minute or so, she's ready to stand up again and have her way to her cozy room and soft bed. An image of her and her bodyguard started to reappear in her mind again, the smile that was formerly plastered on her face was gone, and tears are forming at the corner of her eyes…
 
“What are you holding Shika?” she asks as her eyes twinkled in delight. It's not hidden to her that inside that box is a very special jewelry - a necklace or a ring. A smile never leaves her face signifying that she's happy, very happy.
 
“Ah, here take a look and tell me what you think…” he said as he handed her the little violet velvety box. She examined first the box itself and confused on the way he give it to her..
 
This guy sure does not know how to propose!
 
She carefully opened the box and found a platinum necklace with a pendant studded with yellow quartz and rubies. She touched it and admired its beauty, it's not really her type but it's alright since it's Shika who gives it to her anyways…
 
“These are beautiful!” she squealed, as she tried hard to look at him straight in the eyes.
 
“Then it's yours…” he said, but she's confused a lot that even he smiled at her, his eyes are empty. She looked at the necklace again, carefully taking it away from the box. He reached her hand as he himself put the necklace on her. She blushed, as she thanked him voicelessly, but after putting the jewelry on, he left immediately.
 
What the? You Nara Shikamaru! Why can't you just tell me thatyou love me!
 
Five minutes had passed and she found herself ready to stand and walk again. Her feet are still wobbly but she manages to have those ten steps to the stairs as she forced her joints to work to have her limbs raised on every step of it. Thirty-five steps of the staircase, not that far. Her hands gripped the handrails tightly, making sure that she won't fall if ever she tripped on one of the steps.
 
As soon as she reached the thirty-fifth step, she shinshun-ed to her room, as she realized that she had enough chakra to do so. She still manages to have a shower before going to bed. The water was warm as it touches her skin not that hot compared to Suna. It's relaxing that finally, she reached her sacred sanctuary to gather herself up. This day makes her feel exhausted, though just this meeting a while ago was the work she'd done on this day. Not that much of paper works plus no training, maybe, her eavesdropping makes her tired.
 
The entrance finally revealed four shinobi leaded by a blonde wearing a tiger-like mask. The Nara genius, knowing that behind that mask was someone whom he really knows, have his feet running to her. She's injured but fortunately, not that bad that she's still able to have her reports to the Hokage's office. Her mission was accomplished but was just delayed due to the numbers of enraged civilians surrounding the municipal hall. Killing them was not an option since they are all under a possession jutsu, and another problem was that they are capable to fight to a ninja. That's why she was assigned to such kind of mission because of her signature technique was almost similar to the enemies'. Much to her and her squad's dismay, they have to face numbers of Oto-nins who have their snakes surrounds the very room where the royalties are kept as hostages. It was not that easy to have their way inside the room since the civilians already have their way inside the hall, attacking them, while they do not have any options but to dodge all the blows and stop them before the Oto-nins take the royalties away.
 
After some time of rest, the blonde kunoichi finally have the strength to wander around the village but only be stuck in her family's flower shop when the rain started to pour down heavily. Then the Nara guy appeared together with Temari, asking her if they can stay for a while as soon as the rain stops, which she quickly agreed.
 
“Do you want a cup of tea?” Ino started to ask, while Temari started strolling only to find herself attracted to an ikebana-designed calla lilies.
 
“That would be good!” Shino said as tints of red started to crept up on his face. She walks through the counter and has her way to the kitchen to get some ready made tea. Much to her surprise she was followed by Shikamaru, making them all alone inside the kitchen.
 
“Did you miss me?” the blonde blue-eyed kunoichi straightforwardly ask the shadow manipulator who quickly nodded his head in agreement.
 
“Why won't I?” he ask, his eyes fixed on her blue orbs as his hand trailed on her soft hands up to her face.
 
“Well, you might have enjoyed yourself with her…” her voice is low, almost a whisper but he heard anyways. He smirked, glad in the fact that she's getting jealous…
 
“I enjoy her company, but it's still different when you're here…” his voice too is almost inaudible, but to her, it's easy to read how his lips pronounce every word..
 
Temari found herself alone so she walks around only to hear voices in the next room - the kitchen. She doesn't want to eavesdrop on other people's conversations but it's Shikamaru, and he's not just another person, he's special, to her. She found herself walking to the door but careful enough not to be found listening to them. She controlled her chakra, knowing that the Nara genius finally memorizes her chakra signature for the past four months. The talking started again from a whisper…
 
“Really…” her cheeks started to turn beet red when he caresses her face, his longing…
 
“Empty, it's empty when you're not here…” he answered as he caresses her chin, but she switch her gazes, her face full of confusion…
 
“Her necklace, she said that you gave it to her…” she said as she turns around to get tea cups on the dispenser on her right side.
 
“Oh… that's what Hokage-sama gave her as a gift and as a souvenir, I just forgot to say it to her when I've got some news that your team is in danger. I'm really worried at that time so I didn't manage to tell her right a…” and she kissed him, lips locked very passionately…
 
She quickly shinshun-ed to her hotel room on that very moment, as thoughts of the lover's kissing was stuck on her mind…
 
She wraps a towel on her body as she reached for her pajamas and put it on quickly. She wanted to rest, or maybe, not to wake up too.. How could she expect that easily, that she'll be loved by him???
 
Legend: Flashback
Thoughts
Thoughts in flashback
emphasis