Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ What am I to you? ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In his ANBU uniform, he appeared on the rooftop with an umbrella over his head. His pale orbs looked through the rain to the woman on her porch bending over a body. A black eyebrow shifted up. What the hell was going on? He didn't like being kept in the dark, especially if the situation involved his friend.
His Hyuuga eyes hadn't missed Naruto as he dropped that body at Haruno's veranda. It wasn't Naruto to kill or do such a thing as to drop a dead body off at a friend's house. That was uncharacteristic of Naruto, very.
But then, lately Naruto hadn't been himself. He had been so distant, so closed off his friends. Neji frowned hearing Sakura's screams.
“Sasuke! No! Sasuke, please wake up! Why can't you wake up?”
He deeply frowned. Uchiha.
Now, all the pieces of the puzzle came together. He had had his own suspicions but he had never thought that they could be true. He had thought that Naruto had left the Uchiha alone seeing clearly that Uchiha was a waste of time.
However, here it was, Naruto managed to shock him again.
It wouldn't surprise him if Naruto had brought the Uchiha dead back to Konoha for the Haruno, impossible how it sounded because that body could be a jutsu of some kind. Uchiha couldn't be that easily defeated. Not to insult Naruto but it was a fact. Naruto wouldn't have made it back to Konoha without help.
With swift movement, Neji jumped of the rooftop and landed on the veranda of the Haruno. Then he flipped his umbrella to the side and closed it. Haruno hadn't seen him yet, she was still weeping for the Uchiha.
He rolled his eyes. Women were still obsessed with the Uchiha. Even after he betrayed the village, women were still after him. Sakura wasn't the only one but she was the most obsessed. He wished that he pitied her but sadly, he didn't.
She claimed to be Naruto's friend and yet she encouraged him to put his life at risk.
“Haruno…” he started looking at her. She moved away from the Uchiha and looked at back him with huge, reddish, swollen eyes. How long would she make a fool out of herself? It disgusted him. She was a ninja for crying out loud.
She moved her hands to her face and rubbed her eyes dry.
“Neji Hyuuga, i-it's nice to see you here. N-Naruto k-killed Sasuke. He k-killed Sasuke. I know that Sasuke was a traitor but h-he didn't deserve this. H-he didn't deserve death.”
Neji narrowed his orbs and moved them to the body of the Uchiha. It was bruised and bloody, there was a hole through his stomach. He couldn't see any other big injuries. And to take down a Uchiha, more bruises and deep wounds were needed to be made.
“Why would he kill Uchiha? That doesn't sound like Naruto at all.”
She shook her head and captured her lower lip in her mouth wetting it. Her mouth then opened, tears leaking out of her eyes.
“I don't know! I really don't know. Sasuke is dead! Sasuke!!” She dropped her gaze and turned away to face the Uchiha again.
“You are truly pathetic. You really think that the Hokage and the Council are going to buy your little lie,” he taunted her.
She froze in her sobs and craned her neck to glare at him. “What the hell are you talking about? Y-you think that I'm lying. Why would I lie to you? D-don't you see?! Don't you see Sasuke's body here! Huh?!”
“Haruno, Uchiha is dead on your veranda. Someone might think that you had something to do with his murder,” he said.
She laughed and nodded her head as though the truth had just drawn in.
“M-maybe you are right. T-this is all my fault. I should have just left him alone.” She cried softly, this time her body just shaking but with no sound coming out of her lips.
This must be dealt with and now. He was a leader of an ANBU squad. His hand lazily went for the whistle around his neck and he blew it calling his teammates. He blew once meaning that he needed only one of them.
His word was the only thing that would make the Haruno girl pay. Uchihas and Hyuugas were the strongest citizens in Konoha village. They had power and fame. Everyone bowed down to them.
Still, he wondered how the village still respected the Uchiha after he betrayed the village.
But then, there was that phrase.
`The strongest lived and the weakest died.'
His team member arrived, Lee.
--
Tsunade's eyes softened on the Haruno girl. The girl reminded her so much of herself. Sometimes the past was so hard to let go. And losing someone you loved hurt so much. Tsunade remembered losing Dan and her little brother. She couldn't be ignorant to Sakura's behavior. Love hurt. It made you do crazy things, things that you would never have done. There was a problem though. Sasuke Uchiha was dead. It didn't make any sense. Obviously, Sakura couldn't have killed him. There was a traitor in Konoha.
“Sasuke!!” Sakura shouted, crying out.
She cupped her face in her hands sitting on the floor by Sasuke's body. It wasn't fair. It wasn't really fair. She had done everything. Everything. She had just wanted Sasuke back. That was all she had asked for, nothing more. Now, he was gone… he was gone for good. If only she hadn't asked Naruto to get him back. If only she had kept her mouth shut and hid her desperation of wanting to have Sasuke back. At least, he would have been still alive. But still… her hands shook and sobs continued coming out of her mouth.
Tsunade looked away from Sakura in pity to look at Neji, assessing him.
Sakura didn't know what happened next. She just felt so tired. It was finally over. She felt as though she was going to find her peace. The peace she ever wanted from the day Sasuke had left Konoha. She closed her eyes and pressed her lips against Sasuke's bloody ones before she let her worn body pass out against his.
“Neji, go get Naruto for me,” Tsunade ordered Hyuuga.