Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ What are these Memories? ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Since everyone tells me to make the chapters longer, here's the longest one I've ever written (see, I do listen to your comments and suggestions! The more you leave, the better the chance of getting what you want). This takes a major plot turn in the story, but the main plot will stay the same; this is just a little sub plot to give you an idea of what happened in those seven years Sasuke was gone. Anyways, please read and review!
~Yuugi-chan
 
P.S. You will notice at time Sakura will leave off the honorific on Sasuke's name. This only happens when she is really angry or irritated with him.
 
Italics- flashbacks
 
 
“Oi, Sakura-chan, you okay?” Naruto asked her the next morning.
She nodded.
“You didn't tell him what I saw on my mission, did you?” she asked.
He shook his head, “That's your job. You'd be better off telling him now than taking the full blast of his anger when he finds out himself.”
Next time you see him, you will tell him this…
Sakura reluctantly nodded.
“I'd take you to him myself, but I have to go and meet Hinata!” he shouted, waving good-bye.
`What am I so afraid of?' she asked herself. `For once Naruto's right…'
 
The Uchiha district wasn't too hard to find; almost everyone knew where it was, they just didn't go in.
When Sakura arrived, she looked around. It really was desolate. Even though she never saw what actually happened, she still though the place held the stench of death. She shivered and kept walking.
His house wasn't too hard to find either, as Sakura found out. It was the only one that had lights on.
Sakura raised her hand to knock, but paused. `C'mon, you can do this,' she told herself.
Next time you see him…
She shuddered, gathered up her courage, and knocked. No one answered.
She walked around the house only to find no one, but someone found her.
A kunai was suddenly at her throat. “Get out of here,” his voice snarled. “You have no right to be here.”
Sakura swallowed, “Sasuke-kun, please put the kunai down.”
“Make me,” he challenged.
She sighed, “You haven't changed. I'll ask you one more time, please put the kunai down. I don't want to have to hurt you.”
He laughed, “Hurt me? You can't even lay a finger on me if I remember correctly. As for the kunai, I'll say it again, make me.”
“I didn't want to have to do this…”
She immediately elbowed him in the gut, making him recoil back. She knew jutsus wouldn't do anything, he'd she through them all.
As he was getting back up, she sprang off a tree limb and jumped on him. She took both his hands and pinned them behind him, preventing him from performing seals. Her kunai was at the back of his neck.
“Sakura let go!”
“Not until you can calm yourself down and listen to what I have to say.”
“What makes you think I'm going to?”
“You make one false move and you'll be in ten times as much pain. I'm not in the mood for this Sasuke!”
He glared at her then relaxed.
“Fine.”
“That's better,” she said, releasing her hold.
“Don't get too proud, you just caught me off-guard.”
Sakura laughed dryly, “Actually, you should be taking your own advice because what you're going to hear next is really going to deflate your ego.”
He folded his arms and leaned against a tree, “Try me.”
Sakura pulled up her sleeve, “Watch who you're talking to! Especially to your superiors.”
“I'll never be inferior to you!” he spat, watching as she unwrapped a bandage.
“Actually, I am in a way you never thought possible.”
She tugged the rest of the bandage off, exposing a tattoo.
“So you're part of ANBU. That doesn't mean anything, I just joined this morning.”
“Watch it! Who do you think convinced the Hokage to let you join?”
“You are her student.”
Sakura shook her head, “Anyways, we have an assignment, let's get moving.”
“Who are you to tell me what to do? I won't listen to you.”
“Then you won't be part of ANBU.”
“Says who?”
“Says me.”
“I hate to break it to you Sakura, but it doesn't really matter what you say, you have no control over it.”
Sakura looked back over her shoulder, “You will be taking orders from me from here on out as long as you plan to stay on ANBU.”
Sasuke scoffed, “Sure I will.”
She smiled over her shoulder, “We'll see…”
 
“Oi, Sasuke-bastard! Did you thank Sakura-chan? She got you in you know.”
Sasuke scowled at Naruto.
“Anyways,” he continued, “I'm second in command!”
Sasuke shrugged, “So?” It was an obvious choice anyways. Naruto had been on ANBU much longer than he had.
“Where's Sakura anyway? If she doesn't come soon, she'll be left behind.”
“No one leaves without Sakura-chan,” Naruto replied, putting his mask. Sasuke took the hint and followed suit.
A blur of purple speeding from tree-to-tree caught his eye. The blur spun in mid-air before landing gracefully in front of the squad. The figure clad in purple wore a traditional Japanese fox mask.
“All right, let's first get the basics out of the way,” the voice sharply said. It was easy to tell the owner was female.
“There are five hunter-nins out there that each compete in their own league. Our job is to take down the four subordinates and get answers from the one in command. If you need backup, tell me. If I'm not doing anything too important, I'll come to your aid immediately. Do not go after the leader under any circumstances! That's my job. You all should have received the basics, so I have nothing more to say. Now, let's move out!”
The captain of the squad became a blur once more and everyone followed in rank order.
“You take orders from a woman?” Sasuke asked the ninja next to him.
“Yes, we do. I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea, but I have to admit, the squad hasn't failed a mission when she's in command.”
Judging by the voice behind the mask, Sasuke was quite sure the person was Neji.
“When do we take these masks off?”
Neji looked at him, “What kind of question is that? We don't.”
“Aa.”
 
The captain stopped and landed silently on a tree branch.
“They're here.”
Everyone went in position. Everyone except Sasuke that is.
“Shit!” the captain cursed.
She pointed at Naruto, “Take over while I go get him.”
Naruto nodded, “Hai.”
She did some seals and quickly disappeared.
 
Sasuke wasn't going to take order from anyone, especially from a woman. HE was going to complete this mission himself.
Something landed on him and pinned him down. Sasuke had been in this exact same position this very morning.
“Baka!” she fiercely whispered. “As soon as we get back to Konoha, you will be suspended of your privileges until I figure out what to do with you.”
Sasuke flipped over and squarely kicked her in the face. The bottom of her mask broke, revealing a cut lip.
“Great! This is going to do me much good now.”
The captain took of the mask and Sasuke's eyes got big.
“What the-“
She narrowed her eyes at him. Her green eyes, “What, got a problem?”
“Sakura, you're captain of the ANBU squad?”
“If you don't like it, you can always quit.”
Sasuke noticed the red stream dripping down her chin. His blood boiled.
Time seemed to stand still as a single drop left her face and made its way to the ground. It was driving him insane, yet he couldn't do anything about it.
When the drop finally touched ground, and time returned to normal, that's when he snapped…