Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction / Beyblade Fan Fiction / GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Infernal Affairs ❯ Midnight ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Infernal Affairs

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the following anime - Yu-Gi-Oh, Hunter X Hunter, Fushigi Yuugi, Hungry Heart ~ Wild Striker, Beyblade, Slayers, YuYu Hakusho, Get Backers, or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Man, this is a long list. I don't know how I plan to keep track of all these characters, but I will somehow!

Summary: This is no game. This is a matter of life and death. Only the cunning, the deceptive and the ruthless survive. This is the world ruled by three main bodies, the Triads - and the darkest side of humanity. Multiple pairings

Warnings: OOC, maybe some shounen-ai fluffs (not much)

Author's Notes: Well, yet another fic I've started. Yes, this is a HUGE project I'm working on (and in my School Cert. Year too!) and I think this is going to stretch on for maybe the rest of this year and all of next year? I don't know. But it's going to be LONG, I promise you! Really long!

Also, at the end of this chapter, after the first three scenes, new characters will be coming in from the other anime besides HXH, FY and YGO! I finally got around to adding them in . . . -_-; anyway, so they're coming in and the story's gonna kick off!

--------

MIDNIGHT

--------

"What have you got for me?"

"A drug bust, tonight at midnight."

Houjun leaned forward in his seat, cedar eyes locked onto Hikou's midnight blue. The latter did not flinch under the penetrating gaze, staring back as if it didn't bother him. Houjun looked impassively on.

"Where did you get this from?"

The other man's eyes didn't even bat a little.

"An anonymous tip-off."

"Oh." Houjun tapped the tabletop with a finger. "Can you tell me exactly where this drug bust will be?"

Hikou nodded once, dark eyes narrowed, knowing his leader didn't trust him. However, Houjun didn't seem to be affected by his suspicions and smiled at him serenely, waiting for an answer.

"Dock Five, Domino Wharf."

Houjun's serene smile grew.

"We'll be there."

--------

Midnight.

Otogi Ryuuji grew impatient, tapping his foot and looking at his watch, which showed that it was the set time - and that the other was late. He scowled. Patience was never a trait he possessed, especially after he had just come off a private jet from Hong Kong, which had been hot, humid and generally uncomfortable.

"Kaiba is not here?"

Otogi's jade green eyes whipped around to face the speaker, who was emerging from the shadows. He had black shades covering his eyes, pale skin, and a lean, tall build. Otogi didn't recall seeing him before, but he made an assumption.

"Rucifer did not bother to show either," he snapped.

"You must be Otogi Ryuuji," the newcomer noted. "I've been told about you. Where is the money?"

Otogi wordlessly picked up a sleek, black briefcase at his feet, opening it and showing the contents to the other, who nodded. He, in turn, motioned behind him to two boys piling boxes on top of each other. When they'd finished, the boys made their way over, greeting their companion.

"Kurapika-kun, konbanwa."

"Gon-kun, Killua-kun," Kurapika replied, nodding.

Two people came up behind Otogi, flanking him on both sides. He smirked, greeting them in turn.

"Bakura, Ishizu."

"Welcome back, Otogi-kun," Ishizu replied. "The van's back a little way. We can begin the exchange."

Kurapika came forward, his blonde hair coming into view. He took off his shades, which served only to hide his eyes, looking Otogi directly. The taller man saw he looked like a ruthlessly cold teenager, much younger than a normal triad member did. Then again, his two companions looked no older than sixteen. Kurapika could only be around nineteen, or twenty. Twenty-three at the most.

"We haven't done a business deal for quite a while." Ishizu commented as she, Bakura and several others moved to inspect the boxes. "Be careful."

"Don't worry," Kurapika said calmly. "There's no foul play."

"Yeah sure," Bakura muttered. "A Hunter who doesn't scheme and double-cross? I find that hard to believe."

"Think what you want," the blonde said.

Just as the money exchanged hands, the sound of sirens could be heard very close by. Bakura and Ishizu slammed the back door of the van shut, motioning for Otogi to come quickly. Since there was quite a bit of distance between himself and the van, Otogi motioned for them to go first and they took off at breakneck speed, courtesy of Bakura's driving skills. Kurapika watched them calmly, replacing his shades as Killua and Gon made their escape. Both parties' hands hung loosely and yet were ready to defend themselves if necessary.

"No foul play, nee?" Otogi sneered.

"I didn't call the police," Kurapika replied, "especially when it's at my own disadvantage as well."

He turned in the direction of the sirens, blue eyes hard and intent on the approaching vehicles. From his pocket, the blonde produced a gun, small and black in colour, which made Otogi wonder if he really intended to shoot a vehicle with that tiny thing. Not only would it alert the police approaching, if they were caught, they would be put into jail. Kurapika noticed his doubt and smirked.

"I'm not crazy, if that's what you're thinking."

"You could have fooled me."

Otogi continued to watch him. Kurapika took aim, arm straight as he pointed the gun in the direction of the sirens. Just coming into view were four police cars, lights flashing. He stood calmly, watching. Suddenly, he pulled the trigger so fast, Otogi could not register the fact that he had fired until all four police cars skidded sideways and toppled over, front two tyres shot flat. Kurapika put his gun away again, turning back to Otogi.

"You'd better run," he said calmly. "That's SDU's Suzaku team. They'll be on their feet and after you in ten minutes."

Not one to ask idle questions, Otogi nodded and vanished into the shadows of the docks. Kurapika watched him go quietly, not moving for a few long moments. He replaced his shades as the movement of the police became clear to his sharp senses.

"Stop there! Police!"

The blonde saw the approaching boat behind him and stepped back off the wharf, landing neatly in the centre of the boat.

--------

Houjun breathed a curse as the lone figure disappeared. The rest of the team clambered from their vehicles, hurrying towards their leader. Hotohori sported a gash on his arm and Mitsukake was tending it.

"They got away."

"Minna, daijoubu ka?"

Chiriko had a small cut on his hand. It bled, but not too severely, so Houjun shifted his eyes elsewhere. Nuriko looked relatively unharmed, if not a bit shaken, but Tasuki had a gash on his forehead that bled freely. Since Mitsukake, their resident first-aid person, was occupied with tending to Hotohori's injury, Houjun treated it himself.

"That guy - he had really good aim," Tasuki said, wincing as Houjun cleaned his cut. "I mean, he shot us down from the edge of the wharf!"

"Not many people can do that," Chiriko piped. He was carefully extracting a minuscule piece of glass from his hand.

"He'll have to have had special training somewhere," Nuriko said, taking out a strip of bandage to wrap around Chiriko's bleeding hand. "I think we may be able to track him down one way or another."

Houjun looked up thoughtfully. Nuriko had a point. They would have to find out where such a good shot came from. It was always best to know your enemies and such a dangerous one would be fairly formidable to come across later on. But such a talent for the gun . . .

Could it be Kurapika . . .? No, it couldn't be. He hates the triads!

But the doubt lingered in his mind, nagging at every turn, making him wonder whether or not that mysterious person was really Kurapika.

--------

The daytime was really boring for Ryou. He was an accredited child genius, one who graduated two years ahead of the rest of the classmates he had gone to kindergarten with. As the triad world began with the sunset, he had hours of free time every day with nothing to do. Seto was much too busy with the whatnot of his triad - rather, Yami's triad - and Bakura was probably fucking Ishizu.

So he decided to go for a walk, maybe scheme a little here and there, just to clear his mind. If he didn't inspire himself once in a while, he wouldn't be able to create imaginative ways of toying with Seto before killing him. That wouldn't be fun - and he would lose his bet with his cousin.

"Heads up, Ryou."

Ryou dodged the onslaught skilfully, catching the soccer ball. He looked up to see the said cousin looking down at him with a smirk on his face.

"Nice catch, itoko."

Sakai Jefferson Kouji, known to his relations as Jefferson or Kouji, was only a year older than Ryou. He was much taller though, and had broad, powerful shoulders. It was no wonder, since Kouji was a soccer player. They both had albino complexions and silvery hair, but Kouji's eyes were pale purple, almost a blue, while Ryou's eyes were dark.

"You'd make a good GK," the elder noted. "Not as good as I am, though."

"Soccer is not my thing, Kouji," Ryou replied, tucking the ball under his arm.

"How's the bet going?"

"It's fine. Kaiba's actually quite gullible if you feed him the right lies."

"Are you sure you don't need my help?" Kouji asked, raising an eyebrow. "I could just knock him dead in three seconds flat."

"And lose the bet, Kouji?" Ryou laughed. "Be serious."

Ingenuity was a common trait within their family. At least two or three among a generation of children were geniuses. Ryou and Kouji were two such children, born and bred abroad, with worldly attitudes, quick reflexes and multiple talents. But another thing they had in common was the premature death of their mothers and the absence of a father in their lives due to work. The two of them were lonely people and they enjoyed each other's company immensely.

"Your job must be fun," Kouji mused.

"You've got your own. You just don't take it seriously."

"They're too boring." The elder flicked his hair back from his face. "Everyone goes straight for you when they have fun assignments. I get stuck with the odds and ends. What do you do to get them - sleep with the clients?"

"It's called charm," Ryou retorted, angry at the insult. "I don't sleep with anyone. And besides, you're too egotistical for my jobs."

"So you're saying I can't go undercover?"

"Exactly."

"I bet I can prove you wrong." Kouji smirked. "If you get a job anytime in the next few days, direct them to me. I'll finish it before you can lure Kaiba to bed."

"I'm not going to have sex with Kaiba," Ryou muttered angrily.

Eyes cold, Ryou kicked the ball as hard as he could, sending it crashing through the wire fencing. Kouji jumped up and caught it, the force of the kick sending him skidding on the ground when he landed. But being one of Japan's best goalkeepers, Kouji easily handled it. Ryou sniffed disdainfully and walked off, leaving his cousin to his soccer game.

--------

"Kazuki."

"Nani desu ka, Zelgadis?"

Zelgadis Greywars watched his brunette associate pluck at the strings of his koto. They were inside Kazuki's home in the countryside, a traditional Japanese manor with a cultured and regal atmosphere. It suited Kazuki very well, as he looked both well mannered and distinctively gentle.

"I've got information on Bakura Ryou's whereabouts."

"Sou desu ka?" Kazuki sounded indifferent to Zelgadis' news.

"He's got a job at Kaiba's Blue Eyes."

The gentle plucking suddenly became a single, sharp twang as Kazuki stiffened. His dark eyes hardened.

"He's going to kill Kaiba?"

"It seems so," Zelgadis replied, smirking at the fact that he had taunted a reaction out of his passive partner. "But he seems to be playing the little whore."

Kazuki fingered the bells hanging from the side of his hair, expression contemplative as he mused. He knew all about Ryou's exploits, of course, the sweet albino teen was rather famous in the Underworld. From this, he also knew that if Ryou wanted to kill someone, there was nothing stopping him. The only thing wrong with this was that he wanted to be the one to kill Kaiba.

For revenge, he thought. For killing my family - my sisters, my mother . . . and Jubei . . . I want him to suffer like I did when Blue Eyes destroyed my home.

"Arigatou, Zelgadis." He said shortly, standing up.

"Doko iku no?"

"Domino." Kazuki walked to the door. "I have a deal to make with Ryou."

"Count me in," Zelgadis said, following him.

--------

Blue Eyes was, as always, crowded. Everywhere in the dimly lit nightclub was drunks, whores and gangs. The stage was empty at that moment, but was waiting to be lit up as soon as the next performer arrived.

Meanwhile, sitting in his office adjoining the main club, was Kaiba Seto. He peered through the blinds that kept his office and its inhabitants closed off from the variety of visitors. Besides, the musky scent and smoky atmosphere was not very appealing to him.

He hated this job, he hated this place and he hated Yami. If it weren't for that son of a bitch, he would still be head of his own gang and tearing apart others instead of sitting here, his mind rotting away with the lungs of the smokers in his club. But nightclubs were the only things he could call his own, now that Yami had claimed the position of `leader'. Grudgingly, he acknowledged the other's superiority in position, but he remained adamant as to the fact that when Yami told him to jump, he would not say `how high?'

And the worst is that Yami takes 10% of everything I earn. What is this - tax? I hate this. But nightclubs are the only jobs that aren't degrading.

"Seto?"

A soft voice drifted into his thoughts. He looked up from his desk to see Ryou at the door, looking a little hesitant at intruding his self-berating. The teen was dressed in a loose, pale blue shirt, folded at the elbows, with faded jeans. He looked innocent against the dark club. But seeing Ryou perform on stage, and the way he practically seduced Marik with words, Seto knew differently.

"Come in."

Ryou shut the door behind him and walked over to the desk.

"I saw you looking out from the window," the albino confessed. "I wondered if something was wrong."

"Iie, Ryou-chan," Seto said, his voice sounding surprisingly affectionate as he called him by the pet name he had given. "I was just thinking."

"You know a Genei Hunter has been here all last night and he's here now?"

Ryou's voice was thoughtful, but it held a hint of taunting in it. His dark eyes glittered strangely as he watched Seto's reaction. The brunette glowered at the news, his blood boiling. After trying to steal his business, they came here to wreak havoc? He wasn't about to let them get away with it. Ryou placed a pale hand over both his clenched fists gently, drawing his eyes to himself.

"Daijoubu, I'll take care of it." He smiled. "I won't let him get away."

"Will you?" Seto sighed. "I'm tired of this."

"Of course I will, Seto."

He stroked the back of Seto's hand absently, eyes distant. Seto knew better than to assume he was really daydreaming. The albino was much too devious to let his mind wander when he was around people. Instead, Seto drew him down into his lap and stroked his hair.

"I've heard that your cousin, Sakai, needs an interesting job," he murmured. "I may have one for him."

"Hm? Really?" Ryou shifted around in Seto's lap. "How interesting is it? I may want to take it for myself."

"I don't think you'd enjoy it, Ryou-chan. But tell him it would suit him."

Ryou pretended to whine, looking absolutely adorable as he did, but he stopped pretty soon. In his mind, he smirked to himself. If Bakura saw what he was doing now, he would chuck such a fit! Their father would practically murder him - that was, if he didn't get to that irresponsible bastard first.

"I'd better go and prepare for my performance." He slipped out of Seto's arms easily. "And I'll have to take care of the Hunter guy, ne?"

He let the brunette's fingers run up and down his arm. He didn't mind these little touches every now and then - he knew when things were going to stray. Seto was a clear-headed, sharp person who knew what was important and what was not. Ryou bit the inside of his cheek in frustration, though he gave no other visible signs of distress, knowing that the brunette would be hard to manipulate.

"Ja ne, Seto."

Ryou went to the door, not looking back, wondering why the other's warm - and slightly possessive - touch still lingered on his skin.

--------

END MIDNIGHT

--------

Author's Notes:

Well, that's another chapter done! I was running out of scenes in my mind as soon as I hit six pages, so forgive me if it sounded weird!

For those of you who don't know, Sakai Jefferson Kouji is a character out of the manga/anime `Wild Striker', but I think it's been called `Hungry Heart ~ Wild Striker'. Anyway, he's the goalie in the Jyoyo soccer team . . . *drools* so hot . . .

Kazuki comes from Get Backers and Zelgadis from Slayers - but I'm sure you all know that right? ^__^ Aren't they just so cool? Coming up in the next chapter is the Beyblade guys, Kurama and Kowaru from YYH and NGE!

REVIEW!

Relinquished