Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 3: Recovery ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Recovery
 
Emerald edition note: I will try and redo these chapters as I get time to do so, I am quite busy with work and school. I will be generally posting new chapters on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, around 11 AM Central Time. Thanks for the feedback so far, I'm glad people are finding the story again!
 
 
Ryogi Kaji comes to his senses and is totally confused. He can remember being shot, and then later having a strange feeling that he was with Misato, and then... nothing. A mild headache still lingers in his head. He thinks to himself... 'I'm alive... this has to be real...'
 
After looking around at his immediate surroundings, Kaji realizes where he's at and thinks about what to do next. The area where he is at is dark and foreboding, and is generally isolated from the main building of NERV headquarters. Having used some of the corridors in this area to avoid detection before, Kaji is well aware that a body dumped here might not be found for a long time, if ever... which explains why he ended up in this place...
 
“I wonder if Third Impact happened? I'm alive, something must have happened. Why is my mind so clouded?”
 
After looking around and seeing no one else in sight, Kaji takes a deep breath. “I guess I should get out of here, before I'm seen.” He looks on a nearby wall to find a section ID number, to gage his position and is shocked.
 
“Damn! I'm all the way down here! Those idiots really wanted to make sure no one found my body- this is one of the most remote spots in this abandoned complex… it's going to be a long climb...”
 
Kaji stares up at a long service crawlway and takes a deep breath before climbing onto it and making his way through the passages and corridors leading to the surface of the Geo-front. The destruction that he sees when he gets to the Geo-front shocks him. He realizes that SEELE must have gone all out and really, really wanted Third Impact. He sees what appear to be the remains of EVA units in the distance, but decides not to let his curiosity put him at risk. After a short walk, he finds an access point to the emergency exit tunnel system that services the monorail that runs between the Geo-front and the surface. He quickly and stealthily makes his way up the tunnels towards Tokyo-3. Back in NERV headquarters, in the Infirmary, Misato Katsuragi has finally awakened... and has one major headache.
 
A very disorientated Misato rubs her head. “Where... where am I?”
 
A nearby nurse walks over to Misato and explains the situation to her. “You're in the infirmary, Major. You were found lying unconscious... like the rest of us were a little while ago.”
 
“What do you mean by that?” A very confused Misato replies a moment later.
 
“Everyone in headquarters was knocked out, and then could remember nothing about what happened. We were under attack, and a lot of people reported having a strange sensation of leaving their bodies, and then... nothing.”
 
“I had that feeling too... felt like I was with...” Misato's voice trails off as she thinks about Kaji. “Wait a second here. Where's the JSSDF troops?”
 
The nurse shakes her head. “I don't know. Commander Ikari said that they had all disappeared for some reason. This is all so confusing, but at least everyone's alive...”
 
Misato can't believe what she just heard. “No casualties? Man, this is really playing with my head, and I haven't even been drinking.” Misato pauses for a moment and then thinks about her next plan of action. “Am I fit to leave? I would like to go up to the command center and see what's going on.”
 
“I have no problem with that- go ahead, Major.”
 
 
 
Misato leaves the infirmary and heads up to the central command center. The scene now turns to the Geofront, where the three EVA pilots get ever closer to what's left of the pyramid shaped NERV headquarters building. They start to climb another mound of earth and rubble, when the ground starts to shake and rumble...
 
Asuka clutches onto Shinji. “What's going on? Why is the ground moving like that?”
 
Rei looks down at the ground and realizes what's going on. “It appears that this mound is not entirely stable. We should get off it as soon as possible.”
 
Shinji nods his head. “Right. Let's go...”
 
Asuka interrupts Shinji's thought. “Go forward! Come on you two, let's get moving! I'll take the lead…”
 
Asuka starts to run forward, soon reaching the crest of the hill. She reaches the top, and looks back at the other two pilots.
 
“Come on! Get the lead out!” She says, almost yelling.
 
Shinji and Rei begin running and try and catch up to Asuka.
 
“We're coming, hold on a second!” Shinji says as he waves to Asuka.
 
“ We should be very cautious… this area is not stable.” Rei says as she makes her way up the hill.
 
After a few moments, all three reach the top of the hill. Asuka points at NERV headquarters. “We're almost there! Let's go!”
 
Shinji tries to curb some Asuka's enthusiasm because he's concerned about the area and how unstable it appears to be. “Asuka, let's be careful and not rush, ok? It looks pretty steep on this side.”
 
Asuka smiles confidently back at Shinji. “You worry too much, Third Child.”
 
After starting down the other side of the hill, however, the ground gives way and Asuka slips. She cries out for help. “Aahhh! Help me!”
 
Asuka falls and starts to slide down the hill, rapidly approaching the end, which leads to a cliff. She tries to slow her self down, but is still in pain from the damage to her right arm. Asuka continues to slide toward the cliff as Shinji and Rei are quickly and cautiously making their way down the hill, trying to get to Asuka as soon as possible.
 
Asuka continues to slide down the hill… she knows that within 20-30 seconds she'll be at the end of the hill… which is a huge chasm in the earth. She cries out once again for help as she desperately tries to slow her decent. “Oh shit... help!”
 
Her brain scrambles to figure out a way to slow down and she digs her hands into the ground in a desperate attempt to stop which causes her great pain. “OWWW!”
 
“Asuka! Hold on, we're coming!” Shinji cries as he moves forward at an ever-quickening pace, throwing all caution into the wind. `I can't lose her… she came back for me…'
 
Asuka hears Shinji and tries even harder to stop. “Shinji! I can't stop!”
 
Rei has a quick idea about a way to help, she yells out “Dig your heels into the ground!”
 
Asuka, now mere yards from the cliff's edge, forces the heels of her plug suit into the ground which slowes her down considerably. She then flips over and grabs the ground, coming to a complete stop. “Whew! I'm... okay.”
 
Shinji and Rei approach Asuka's position about thirty seconds later. They are six feet away from Asuka, who is holding on for dear life...
 
A very concerned Shinji extends his hand towards Asuka. “Are you ok, Asuka? That was close.”
 
Asuka takes his and is soon back on her feet. She brushes off her plug suit and is about to say something when the ground beneath her gives way, falling into the deep chasm. Asuka manages to jump forward, grabbing on to the hill's rock face. Her grip is loosening, however. Beads of sweat start to appear on her face as she hangs on. Her fingers start to ache and tremble, and she starts to slip.
 
“Help me! I can't hold on much longer!” Asuka cries as her grip starts to loosen on the rock.
 
“Asuka! Hang on!” Shinji cries out as she cautiously approaches her position.
 
Shinji and Rei cautiously approach the rock face and the grab onto Asuka's arms, just moments before she would have fallen to her death. Shinji takes the right arm, Rei the left arm and pull Asuka up. All three pilots back away from the edge and go to a more stable position. Asuka immediately embraces Shinji...
 
“Thank you Shinji! You saved my life…”
 
Shinji blushes, not used to her being so close. He's momentarily at a loss for words but then softly speaks. “Umm... it was no problem. I didn't ask you come back with me just for me to lose you again- Asuka... you have to be more careful.”
 
 
Asuka wants to get angry at Shinji for saying that she should be more careful, but recognizes in her heart the he is right. She realizes that maybe that memory-sharing thing both of them had wished for was a good thing after all.
 
Asuka embraces Shinji tighter. “I got it, Shinji. I'm so used to thinking about myself only that I forget that others may have concerns for me as well.”
 
“That's right. Always remember that I…” Shinji gazes into her eyes and continues speaking. “Love...”
 
Rei interrupts the warm moment by bringing their attention back to the problem at hand. “We should continue moving on towards the command center.”
 
Asuka slowly breaks the embrace and begins to get angry at Rei. She sarcastically says “Thanks for spoiling the moment, wonder-child.”
 
Rei takes a deep breath and tries to suppress an emotion response. `I feel… angry? No, it can't be… can it?' She takes a moment to formulate an appropriate response for Asuka. “My name is Rei... pilot Soryu, and remember that I also helped Shinji to save you.”
 
Asuka is almost ready to start a fight, but is too drained to do so. She then does something most unexpected…
 
 
 
Asuka extends out her hand in gesture of friendship to Rei. “You're... right. I… I'm sorry... Rei.” She swallows her pride and continues. “Thanks for saving me... and you can call me `Asuka'”
 
Rei's face registers a smile for a brief moment as she takes Asuka's words to heart. “Okay… Asuka… it was no problem helping a fellow pilot.”
 
Shinji puts his hand on Asuka's shoulder. “I'm proud of you, Asuka. You two have been at each other for too long...”
 
Asuka scratches her head in confusion. “I could've sworn that I saw Rei smile just now... Shinji, is something wrong with Rei?”
 
Shinji and Rei have sweatdrops at the mention of this by Asuka. Rei starts to explain her theory on why she maybe experiencing emotions when Shinji interrupts…
 
“Asuka, I asked Rei to come back for another reason besides the fact that her absence would raise questions. I seen that she didn't get a chance to live a real life, she was always being controlled and manipulated by my father.”
 
Asuka nods her head. “That's was very noble of you, Shinji. But won't that happen again if she goes back to NERV with us? We should figure out what we're going to say and do when we get there, I mean... I should be beyond dead....”
 
“Asuka is right; we should discuss what we will do when we get to headquarters.” Rei says, reminding the others of their current mission.
 
Shinji peers over the edge of the cliff. “Let's go a little further, get off of this mound, and when it's safe, discuss it.”
 
Rei nods her head in agreement. “That is wise. Let us proceed.”
 
 
The trio walk on the edge of the mound, carefully avoiding the edge, and find a path down that heads towards NERV headquarters. Rei can see a noticeable change in Shinji and Asuka already; the sharing of the memories between them has had a profound effect. Rei hopes that she will get to live a "real" life like Shinji said earlier...
 
At the same time as Asuka, Rei, and Shinji make their way down the hill to the perimeter of NERV headquarters, the SEELE council convenes. They are most distressed; to say the least, about their current situation and why the earth is still like it was prior to Third Impact, with a few noticeable exceptions.
 
 
Keel Lorenz address the group first. “My brethren, what has happened? Did the Third Impact occur or not? I had a feeling of oneness and then... back to this cruel world. How could this be?”
 
SEELE 02 sounds off on that comment. “Unknown. Was this in the scrolls and we missed it? The Impact was started, I do remember that much.”
 
SEELE 03 is next to speak. “It appears that our EVA's are offline and are on fire. I am still getting sensor readings from the plugs, however. They are being... captured by NERV recovery teams.”
 
A very angry SEELE 04 speaks next. “The JSSDF reports that all of their forces are back in their home bases as if nothing ever happened?! How could this be? No human force has the power to transport people, wipe out memory...disable all five of our MAGI systems.”
 
“Impossible!” Cries SEELE 07.
 
A new take on the events is mentioned a moment later by SEELE 10. “Maybe it was something of the divine...”
 
 
A large argument erupts at the mention of a divine power interfering with their plans. Keel quickly calls for order.
 
”Stop fighting! We must figure out what happened... check out the scrolls with a scrutiny that we have never used before.” He turns and looks at #10. “Do you have a thought as to what happened? Silence, everyone else.”
 
SEELE 10 turns and clears his throat. “Being the one who has spent the most time reading the scrolls, I offer my humble suggestion as to what happened. I know we can't remember what happened after we instituted Third Impact, but...” There is a long pause while #10 thinks about the Dead Sea Scrolls…
 
“I think I remember something in the scrolls that may explain what happened. The one who was at the center of the event, had the real control over the result, not us, the ones who triggered it. Jesus Christ in the scrolls made the decision to be crucified, even though he had ample opportunity to avoid that fate. He chose to be crucified to save mankind. I think that applies here, as well. The pilot of Unit 01 could have embraced the oneness, completing the Third Impact. This committee has studied the file on the pilot, and thought he would have been the perfect instrument for this, being so depressed with his life and himself, we thought he would have enjoyed the chance to be totally happy with the new reality that would have been... it seems that he wasn't happy with the oneness for some reason, and called for this reality to return. How this is possible, I don't know. The subsequent happenings here and to our EVA's, MAGI computers, and our minds must have been a byproduct of that wish. We need to study the scrolls and see if this event was in there, we need a new strategy...”
 
An indignant SEELE 06 speaks up immediately. “New strategy? It's obvious. We failed. There may never be another chance to do this again. Who knows what happened to Lillith, Adam, and the Lance of Longinus. Mankind may be stuck on this path... a possible dead end.“
 
Keel calls for order. “Order! This committee needs to get their respective computers online and start researching again. If Third Impact was stopped, it may be able to be instituted again. We should also formulate a plan for this reality, if we are truly stuck in it and the oneness cannot be achieved again. One thing is for certain; Commander Ikari and his NERV location will pay for their treachery, in any case. We need to rebuild our forces. Dismissed!”
 
The SEELE council members get to work in their respective places/countries and try to find out an explanation for what really happened- and what to do about the loss of NERV headquarters and its resources...
 
To be continued in Chapter 4: The Plan
 
Hope you enjoyed that redone chapter, more to come…