Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 4: The Plan ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: The Plan
 
Emerald edition note: Looks like I'm having a little time to spare from work at the moment, so I'm taking the time to redo some of these earlier chapters.
 
 
As this chapter opens, the three pilots are on a flat, barren plateau next to NERV headquarters. The trees that had once made up this forest clearing have been blown to bits, leaving only stumps, if anything at all. Ash and dead plant matter litter the ground. Asuka and Rei sit on one of the remaining stumps as Shinji begins to speak.
 
“Well, what's the plan? I think we should just play dumb and say we don't know anything about what happened.”
 
Rei nods her head. “That would be wise. You, Asuka, and I are the only ones to retain knowledge of really happened here. It is very critical that we keep this a secret.”
 
“I agree with Rei. Now, what about Rei and your father, Shinji?” She looks at Rei. “Rei, what are you going to do?” Asuka says, curious about her response.
 
Rei immediately knows what to say in return. “Commander Ikari will probably try to use me in some way, but I will not let him go too far. I am a person just like you and Shinji. I will play along with what ever he plans, but remember, I am on your side.”
 
Shinji and Asuka are shocked to see Rei begin to tremble as she continues to speak. “I just want to figure out myself, and try and live a real life... and make my own destiny...
 
A few tears fall from Rei's eyes as the new emotions hit her.
 
Shinji tries to think of something encouraging to say to Rei. “Rei... we're here for you. Asuka and I will help you out, right Asuka?”
 
Realizing all of the trouble and pain Rei has gone through, Asuka chooses to respond to Shinji's question by putting her hand on Rei's shoulder.
 
“Me and Shinji here will help out whenever you need it. It's the least I can do for a fellow pilot and for someone who helped to save my life.”
 
Rei is surprised at this change in Asuka. “Uh... thank you, Asuka.”
 
Asuka is full of new pep and energy. “Okay, then! Everyone knows what to do- we all have our stories straight. If you're ready, Rei, Shinji, let's go!”
 
Asuka stands up. “Come on, let's get going and see what's going on the command center.”
 
Shinji gets on his feet. “All right. Lead the way, Asuka. Just be a little more careful...”
 
Asuka turns around and winks at Shinji.
 
“Don't worry; I don't want to repeat that last experience.”
 
“I am sure they will be surprised to see us...” Rei says as she stands up.
 
 
 
Rei, Shinji, and Asuka make there way from the former forested area into NERV headquarters and get in an elevator to go to the command center. The command center has, in the mean time, gotten internal and external sensors back online. The MAGI system is back to full power as well. Various technicians are pounding away at the keys, investigating the current situation and working on restoring the remaining non-operational systems per Commander Ikari's orders. After a few minutes, Aoba looks up from his terminal and speaks to Commander Ikari...
 
“Sensors back up, sir. MAGI system back to nominal status.”
 
“Very good. Any sign of the JSSDF or the EVA pilots?” Gendo says as he folds his hands.
 
“No sign of the JSSDF, but we don't have many external sensors remaining... the pilots are...”
 
 
Aoba looks at the computer screen and is confused. “They're... on their way up here right now, sir. I don't know how… but…”
 
“This should prove interesting. All three pilots?”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
Maya looks over Aoba's shoulder and at the computer display. “You mean... Asuka is alive? Thank God. I was almost sure that she was dead.”
 
 
Misato appears in the command center a moment later and walks over to Commander Ikari.
 
“Misato Katsuragi reporting for duty, sir. What's our status, Commander Ikari?”
 
Gendo turns and looks at Misato. “MAGI and most of our sensors are back online. We have teams out recovering Unit 01 and Unit 02, Major. The pilots are on their way up here now, as well...”
 
Misato is surprised by his comment. “What? You mean... Shinji and Asuka are alive?”
 
 
Misato is about to speak again when a clang is heard from the elevator shaft. Rei walks forward towards Gendo's station. Asuka walks a few steps and speaks out...
 
“That's right, I'm alive. Those wimpy new Eva's couldn't kill me... I'm invincible! Asuka Langley Soryu can never be beaten!” Asuka makes a peace sign and smiles.
 
Shinji runs over to Misato and she hugs him. “Misato! I thought that I had lost you!”
 
Shinji begins to cry tears of joy and Misato begins to cry as well.
 
“Shinji! I'm glad you're alive! I thought I would never see you again.” Shinji puts Misato's cross into her right palm.
 
“What's this?” Misato asks, not remembering right away what it is.
 
“It's your cross... remember you gave it to me before I went down the elevator... I kept my promise...”
 
Misato takes the cross and puts it around her neck. “You did. Thank you. It's so nice to see you, Asuka, and Rei again...”
 
“You mentioned something else, Misato. I don't remember exactly what you said, something about `Doing the rest when I get back...'” Shinji says as he dries tears.
 
 
Misato turns red and quickly deflects any ideas that may be forming in Shinji's head, as well to stop Asuka from getting the real meaning of her words...
 
Misato scratches her forehead. “Oh, that... I must have been rambling on... I was loosing a lot of blood there… I was probably talking nonsense…”
 
Luckily for Misato, Shinji takes her words at face value and drops the topic. “Oh, okay... never mind then…”
 
 
Misato steps back from Shinji and gives Asuka and Rei a quick hug, she is really happy that they are alive and okay. After composing herself, she turns around and looks at Commander Ikari. He steps away from his post and begins to talk to Rei...
 
“What happened to you and the other pilots? I thought you had returned to Lilith...”
 
“I do not know what happened, the last thing I remember was awakening in the Geofront, next to the two other pilots.”
 
 
At a nearby station, Asuka starts looking at the computer displays and begins talking to the “Bridge Bunnies”…
 
“So, what's been happening in the command center here? I heard you guys had some action going on...”
 
Hyuga shakes his head. “That's not even the word for it, Asuka...”
 
“More like total chaos... it was nuts in here, Asuka.” Aoba says as he turns to look at the redhead.
 
Misato nods her head. “They're right. The JSSDF had us by the throat and then... they disappeared into thin air.”
 
 
Asuka is curious about that statement. “Really? Where the hell did they go? Did you find them yet?”
 
“Nope, but at least they're not here; otherwise, we'd be dead. They had us outmatched with their heavy firepower...” Aoba says, remembering the horrible battle from the recent past.
 
Hyuga decides to share some information with Asuka. “Yeah, it seems like this may have been a set up by the committee, our funding was cut back prior to this incident, so we didn't have the money to keep a lot of guards and weapons...”
 
 
Gendo walks over to Asuka and asks her a question. “Pilot Soryu, do you remember anything about what happened? Everyone here has some kind of amnesia…”
 
Asuka shakes her head in the negative. “No sir. I remember being...torn to pieces, impaled, but other than that, nothing, sir.”
 
Gendo now turns his attention to his son. “What about you, Shinji? Do you remember anything?”
 
“I remember being taken up by those other Eva's into space... beyond that, I can't really recall anything. It's all so fuzzy and distorted.” Shinji says as he carefully words his reaction.
 
 
Commander Fuyutski walks over and joins the conversation. “It seems like everyone has amnesia or something... I've been in contact with other agents of ours on the surface and in Tokyo-3... no one knows anything. It's probably the same story all around the world...”
 
Rei walks over and ask an important question that had been failed to be asked yet, at least to her knowledge. “Have you located the JSSDF troops?”
 
Gendo folds his hands. “No luck on finding them so far…”
 
 
Rei walks over to a computer station and implements a search program into the computer. She does know where the JSSDF are; since she was the one who moved them as part of Shinji's wish- it is the only part of the restoration process that she can remember doing. After ten seconds go by, a beep is heard as the troops have been located.
 
“There are the JSSDF troops, sir. Back in their bases it seems- it looks like they never left.”
 
Fuyutski is very curious about how she did… and so quickly. “How did you do that, Rei?”
 
Rei tries to give them a realistic explanation without giving out certain information. “It was simple, sir. I just hacked into some other computer systems in Tokyo-3 and used their tracking systems to find the troops.”
 
“Very good, Rei. Lt. Ibuki, get me the head of the JSSDF on the phone immediately. I would like to speak with him.” Gendo says, complementing Rei.
 
 
The entire command center turns and stares at Commander Ikari in disbelief. No noise is heard except for the beeping of the computers in the command center. After a moment of silence, Maya speaks...
 
“Uh... right away, sir.” She pushes a few buttons and holds the phone out towards Gendo. “Got a direct line, sir.”
 
The focus of attention now goes to the upper part of the command center, where Commander Ikari is about to contact the head of the JSSDF.
 
Fuyutski lowers his voice and steps closer to Commander Ikari. “What are you doing, Ikari? What do you plan to say to them?”
 
“Do not worry, I have a plan...”
 
Gendo starts to input different commands into the computer in front of him, typing at a rapid pace, almost as fast as Ritsuko would. “I think it's time to take a bold step, and get rid of some of the problems that have been hampering our movements for too long.”
 
Fuyutski looks over Gendo's shoulder. “What are you typing in?” After watching the screen change, Fuyutski is shocked.
 
“Why are you going to send that information out? That could ruin us; the government would come back here for sure!”
 
“I am editing this report, any mention of us in a negative way will be removed. No sensitive or incriminating information will be given out. It will still be 99.99% accurate, though. SEELE's manipulation of NERV and of us will become public knowledge. With some careful editing here and there, it will look like we were trying to stop SEELE and Third Impact, contrary to what has been submitted by the other NERV locations and SEELE. They will pay for trying to have us destroyed.” Gendo says, explaining his plan.
 
Fuyutski is skeptical about this idea. “You really think this will work? The Japanese government could order us to shut down again…”
 
Gendo grins. “They won't shut us down... I will tell them that next time the troops will disappear and will not come back- those fools will think we have some kind of new weapon and they will want us to use it to protect this city and this nation. It's so easy to figure out what they want... politicians and military officials are all the same... people are so predictable.”
 
`This will buy time for me to see if I can be united with my Yui again, or if that goal is out of reach permanently...' Gendo thinks as Commander Fuyutski contemplates Gendo's last words.
 
 
Kozo Fuyutski really thinks out what Commander Ikari just said. `So then we will become a valuable resource to the government... maybe his plan will work. Anything is better than being attacked again, and if SEELE and the other NERV locations are out of the picture, we should be fine.'
 
“I agree. Send out the report. If anything, in can only help our case. The uprising that this report will cause will be...” Kozo says, voicing his opinion.
 
“It will be most helpful. I know the government in the United States will be quite upset when they learn of what's been going on their own soil. After all of the innocent casualties from the Nevada base's disappearance, they were quite angry. I think the United Nations is about to have an emergency crisis...member will turn on member when this report goes out... each person will try and protect their own interests, especially if they were tied in with NERV or SEELE.
 
“The UN could collapse...” Another thought comes to Kozo's mind.
 
Gendo dismisses the thought. “I'm sure some kind of order will emerge from the chaos... now… shall I contact the JSSDF and the president of Japan?”
 
Fuyutski nods his head. “Go ahead. I hope it all works out like you planned...”
 
“It will...” Gendo pauses to pick up a phone. “Fuyutski, check on the status of our other NERV `friends…'”
 
Fuyutski gets right to work. “Checking now...”
 
 
Back on the lower level of the command center, Misato is talking with Aoba and Hyuga- Shinji, Asuka, and Rei are sitting down in nearby chairs. All are discussing the current situation...
 
Misato speaks at a low volume. “It seems like Commander Ikari is up to something... but I don't know what.”
 
“Well, maybe his plan will work; we don't need the JSSDF back here again.” Aoba says, hoping that his theory is correct.
 
Hyuga, however, isn't so confident about that idea. “It seems a little bit suspicious to me. The Commander always has another purpose for almost every action that he does... what is there to hide now?”
 
Misato wonders in her mind… `I wonder what's down in Terminal Dogma now? And what's with this new plan? I'll have to find out his true intentions...' She looks over at Hyuga. “You'll keep me informed if anything comes up, right?”
 
“No problem.”
 
Misato now turns her attention to the EVA pilots and addresses them. “I should get you guys down to the infirmary, just to have you checked out. Asuka, it looks like your bandages are all torn, we should get those changed. Let's go.”
 
After taking a few steps, she gets the attention of Commander Fuyutski. “Commander, I'm going to take the pilots down to the infirmary to be checked out and to get Asuka some new bandages.”
 
“Go ahead. I'll call you if anything comes up.”
 
 
Misato takes Shinji, Asuka, and Rei down to the infirmary. On the elevator ride down Misato begins wondering about Asuka's bandages and how they got into their current state.
 
“Asuka, how did your bandages get like this?“
 
Asuka nervously fidgets for a moment. “It's a long story. Why don't you take us out for dinner, and I'll tell you the whole story. I'm sure you can use a break from work...”
 
Asuka smiles and begins thinking to herself. `That ought to do it... she'll take us out for sure... Misato can be so predictable sometimes...'
 
 
Misato thinks about what Asuka just said. `Hmmm... I could use a break. There has been too much going on here lately...'
 
“Ok, dinner it is. Rei, are you coming with us?”
 
”I will join you for dinner.” Rei says heartily.
 
Shinji decides to take a moment to remind Misato about something. “Make sure you pick some place with vegetarian dishes, Misato.”
 
”Don't worry, I have just the place in mind. We should celebrate anyway; I mean, all of us should be dead, right? I think a party of some sort is order!” Misato says with a wink.
 
The three pilots look at each other, a knowing look passes between them. They all know how right Misato is but cannot tell her the truth at this point. The elevator arrives at the level where the infirmary is. The group of four step off the elevator and go to the infirmary. Inside a nurse begins examining the pilots, beginning with Asuka...
 
“What happened to you?” The NERV nurse says as she examines Asuka's bandages.
 
Asuka decides the best course of action is to feign ignorance. “I... don't know. This is how I was when I became conscious earlier.”
 
“Let's change those bandages, and look at your arm and your eye, to make sure there's no serious damage.”
 
 
Misato sits down in a chair on the far side of the room as the nurse begins to examine Asuka and change her bandages. Rei and Shinji sit down in adjacent chairs and talk to Misato…
 
“It's a miracle Asuka is alright, from what Maya told me, those other Eva's tore Unit 02 to shreds... but then again, its a miracle that all of us are alive and ok... damn... this is so confusing... I think I'm going to get a headache.”
 
“Sometimes in life it is better to accept what happened and not ask any questions.” Rei says a moment later.
 
“You may be right, Rei.” Misato says, agreeing with Rei. She turns to look at Asuka, who's now sporting a new set of bandages. “Ready to go?”
 
“Yeah. The nurse said I'd be able to get rid of the eye patch when we get home, but the arm may take up to a week to heal all of the way. I'm going to need some help at home...”
 
Asuka pauses to look at Shinji intently. “I think Shinji can give me a hand if I need it... right, Shinji?” She says that last part with a wink, causing the Third Child to blush.
 
“Uh... yeah, sure- no problem Asuka.”
 
 
“You know what, I was thinking that we would just go home, and then I'll order something to be delivered. There is a new pizza place that just opened, and it wasn't damaged in the attack, so... what do you guys say we do that instead of going out for dinner?” Misato says, hoping that the kids will agree with her.
 
An excited Asuka quickly responds with a smirk on her face. “Sounds good, Misato. We all know how poor you are...”
 
Misato turns and looks at Asuka, with a look that could kill. Shinji looks at Asuka and wonders why she said that. Rei also stares at Asuka.
 
Asuka defensively waves her hands. “I was just kidding, ok? Jeez, a girl can't make a joke with out getting killed around here...”
 
With that comment, Misato's face softens to a smile.
 
“I know you were, Asuka. I just wanted to scare yah...”
 
Asuka shakes her head. “Gee, thanks…”
 
“Anyways, let's get going…” Misato says as she motions towards the exit.
 
 
 
The group of four leaves NERV headquarters and heads back to Misato/Shinji/Asuka's place. Asuka changes into her yellow sundress (the one she has worn in many episodes of NGE) Misato orders three pizzas, one veggie pizza, one cheese, and one with the works. As they wait for the pizzas to be delivered, Asuka goes to the bathroom to remove the eye patch.
 
 
“Hey Shinji! Give me a hand here!” Asuka yells out into the hallway.
 
Shinji walks in the bathroom and sees Asuka in front of the mirror.
 
“What do you need?”
 
“I need you to take off my eye patch, be careful, ok?”
 
Shinji puts his hand on her left shoulder. “Hey, I would never hurt you on purpose. Let's see how that eye looks...”
 
Shinji gently pulls off the eye patch and looks at her face. “Doesn't look too bad, just a little puffy.”
 
“Yeah, its not too bad...” Asuka smiles sweetly at Shinji. “I look ok, right?”
 
Shinji nods his head and stares into her eyes. “Of course you do. You look beautiful… especially those wonderful blue eyes that you have…
 
Asuka blushes as a result of Shinji's forwardness. `He really likes my eyes! I knew he did, though… maybe this memory sharing thing isn't so bad after all. “Shinji...”
 
Asuka leans forward to kiss him… and is stopped by an all too familiar voice coming from the other room.
 
 
“Hey! Pizza's here! Time to eat, Asuka, Shinji!”
 
Asuka is pissed off to say the least… a perfect romantic moment is now gone. “Scheisse! Interrupted again!”
 
Shinji sighs aloud. “I guess we better go in the living room now, so they don't get suspicious.”
 
“Hey, Shinji. Let's try that again later, ok?” Asuka says with a smile.
 
“Sure.”
 
Shinji takes a moment to think about what just happened. `Wow, she almost kissed me again! I got to find a way for us to try that again... I would like to be closer to her... I felt so warm inside...'
 
 
 
Asuka and Shinji walk into the living room, where Rei and Misato have set up the pizzas and are already eating. Pen-Pen is on the floor, watching the TV as he eats some pizza out of his bowl.
 
Misato stares at the two new arrivals. “What took you guys so long?”
 
“Shinji had some problems taking off my eye patch...” Asuka says as a quick excuse.
 
Shinji plays along with Asuka's comment. “That's right...”
 
Misato is a little bit suspicious about that comment but lets it pass. “Ok... well, go ahead and eat! Food's getting cold! Asuka, can you get me a beer, please?”
 
“Sure.”
 
Shinji sits down and starts to eat as Asuka goes over to the refrigerator and gets a Yebisu beer, then returns to the living room.
 
“Here you go.” Asuka says as she hands the cold Yebisu beer to Misato.
 
“Thanks.”
 
Misato quickly opens it up and starts to guzzle the beer down… but soon everyone's attention suddenly becomes focused on something besides Misato's drinking habits. The television screen changes programs and an emergency broadcast alert comes on.
 
Shinji is puzzled about what just happened. “I wonder what's going on? It can't be an Angel or something like that, otherwise they would have called us.”
 
Misato shakes her head. “I honestly don't know.”
 
“We'll find out in a second...” Asuka says as she wonders what the emergency could be.
 
“We interrupt this program to bring you an emergency bulletin...” The voice of the TV announcer begins the explanation of the emergency a moment later.
 
 
Find out what the broadcast is and find out the results of Commander Ikari's discussion in the next chapter, Chapter 5: Global Chaos