Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 5: Global Chaos ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Global Chaos
 
Emerald Edition note: I'm working on the new chapter right now, have about 10 pages written so far. I'm trying to redo these chapters and make a new one at the same time.
 
 
 
This chapter opens in Misato's apartment. Shinji, Asuka, and Rei are watching the TV with Misato and Pen-Pen when a special news bulletin comes on.
 
“We interrupt this program to bring you an emergency bulletin... there has been a major conflict in Matsushiro branch of NERV. Earlier today, classified documents were released to the president, which lead him to prompt the closing of the Matsushiro NERV facility. The officers in charge have refused to surrender the facility and have opened fire on the investigation team sent to interview key NERV personnel. Details about these documents have yet to be made public, however, they have must have been quite important to call for such drastic action...”
 
“What in the hell is going on here?” Misato says, shocked by what she just heard.
 
“It seems that Commander Ikari sent his documents out to the president...” Rei says, nodding her head.
 
“It seems that they believed my father's story, otherwise... that could have been our NERV facility under attack again. That would be hell...” Shinji says, shuddering at the memory of the past attack.
 
Everyone's attention is drawn back to the TV as the announcer makes another statement. “Major update! It seems that negotiations are not working...the JSSDF may be called in to shut down the facility until further notice... we will bring you more information as it becomes available...”
 
The television goes back it's regular programming... and the apartment is silent.
 
Asuka sighs. “Well, I guess they believed Commander Ikari's story. Those other facilities that were trying to get us are big trouble now.”
 
Misato chugs the rest of her beer and then speaks. “Yeah… I think they're worse off then us, though… but it serves them right.”
 
Rei speaks up a second later. “SEELE. Those other NERV facilities were being run by that organization. The president must want to investigate the facility and see if Commander Ikari's story were true...the answer would lie in their computer system and the personnel themselves. With the charges that were brought up, I don't blame the president for wanting to check out the facility for himself.”
 
Asuka turns to look at Misato. “Misato, what kind of defense force does the Matsushiro facility have, Misato? Could they stop the JSSDF if they came in?”
 
Misato scratches her head. “Actually... to tell the truth, I have no idea. Whatever they have, it would still be hard to defend against the JSSDF; those guys are true military professionals. They still have damage from the startup of Eva Unit 03, and remember that SEELE's priority was the construction of the other EVA's and causing 3rd Impact, not repairing that facility...”
 
Shinji starts to think about the situation, going into deep thought. He starts to think about what his father has just initiated... and the consequences of that action.
 
Asuka notices the serious look on Shinji's face and gets concerned. “Hey, Shinji, what yah thinking about?”
 
“Well... I was thinking about what happened to the facility in Matsushiro... the same thing might happen to the other facilities in China, United States, and Germany. What if SEELE tries to do something to us in revenge? We have no Eva's...”
 
Asuka nudges Shinji. “Remember, third child, I fought all of the production models they had made up to this point. They don't have any left at all. We have what's left of those damn machines. If they try and use some kind of military action, I'm sure we can stop them...”
 
Misato interrupts Asuka's line of thought. “It seems that the JSSDF is working with us now... any military action against us would be stopped by them… if that's not ironic, then I don't what is…”
 
Rei looks at the wall and notices the time. “I think that I should go. It is getting late, and we all have to participate in the community clean up that the president ordered earlier today.”
 
Misato gives the last piece of pizza to Pen-Pen, who greedily swallows it down. “Well, it's about time that he did something like this, we really need to fix up this city, so maybe people will want to come back to Tokyo-3. Maybe Hikari, Toji, and Kensuke will be back soon... I know you guys would like that...”
 
“I guess it all depends on their family heads, but I'm sure they'll come back. Now that the Angel attacks have stopped, maybe we can rebuild the city.” Shinji says, trying to be positive.
 
Misato nods her head. “Yep. Rei, you were going to head out, right?” Rei nods her head.
 
After clicking a button on the TV remote and turning off the television, she turns and looks at the pilots. “Asuka and Shinji can you show Rei out please? I'll talk to you three in the morning...” Misato yawns and scratches her head and belly. “I'm so tired…”
 
The three teens say good night and Misato says the same and heads into her room, where she immediately falls asleep. Pen-Pen has the same idea and goes over to his refrigerator, pushes the button, and goes inside. He promptly falls asleep as well, leaving Rei, Shinji, and Asuka in the front room.
 
 
 
”I can show myself out, you two should get some rest as well.”
 
“Wait a second... maybe this would be a good time to take a walk.” Asuka pauses to think about the rest of her idea. “Rei... why don't Shinji and I walk you home…”
 
“That is not necessary.” Rei says, shaking her head.
 
Asuka enthusiastically replies back. “Oh, but I insist...” Asuka grabs Shinji's arm. “Come on, let's go!”
 
An annoyed Shinji goes along with Asuka's idea. “All right...”
 
Rei and Asuka start walking out of the room, and go towards the front door. Shinji is close behind them, but then stops and goes to grab his windbreaker from his room.
 
 
Asuka yells down the hallway from the front door entrance. “Shinji, come on! What's taking you so long?”
 
Shinji yells back. “Coming!”
 
 
Shinji starts to walk to the front entrance, while putting on his windbreaker and realizes something. `What's the rush? Wait a second... she wanted us to be alone, and we would be alone walking back from Rei's place... maybe this was a good idea after all...'
 
Shinji meets Asuka and Rei at the front entrance of the apartment. The trio walk to Rei's apartment, traveling on near deserted streets. It is past 10:00 P.M., and the majority of the remaining residents of Tokyo-3 are asleep. A dismayed Asuka comments on how deserted the city looks to her two friends, just as they reach Rei's front door.
 
 
“It looks like there is hardly anyone here in Tokyo-3 at all...”
 
“People will return soon. Man is a resourceful species.” Rei opens her door and turns to look at Asuka and Shinji. “Thank you two for walking me home. I will see you both at the cleanup tomorrow. Good night.”
 
“`Night.”
 
“Good night.”
 
 
 
Rei walks into her apartment and closes the door, leaving Asuka and Shinji standing outside. Rei is exhausted and changes for bed. She quickly falls asleep in her bed- it has certainly been an interesting day for her. Outside her apartment, Shinji and Asuka decide what to next...
 
 
 
“Well, Shinji, what do you want to do now? Do you want to back home, or...” She pauses and winks at Shinji. “Do you wanna do something else?”
 
Shinji sweat-drops as a result of Asuka's last statement. Asuka notices and promptly replies.
 
“I mean, did you wanna talk or something?” Her eyes narrow. “What did you think I meant, Shinji?”
 
Shinji begins to get nervous and starts to sweat as a result of Asuka's glaring look and begins stumbling for a good answer t her question. “Oh... uh... nothing Asuka. Sounds good... let's talk for a while. Why don't we go to that bench we passed on the way back and we can talk there.”
 
“Great. Come on, let's get going!” Asuka says happily.
 
 
 
Asuka and Shinji start to walk back down the road back towards their apartment. On the way, they stop at a wooden bench, which sits on the sidewalk in front of a small park. The streets are deserted. Asuka sits next to Shinji, who promptly puts his right arm around her.
 
“What did you want to talk about, Asuka?”
 
“Well, I noticed earlier today that you really deep in thought about something, and I'm not talking about the NERV thing, either. You looked really distracted... it has nothing to do with our relationship, or me does it? Please tell me, Shinji...”
 
Asuka lays her head down on his right shoulder and waits for his response.
 
Shinji is unable to hide his feelings and tells her what's on his mind. “Uhh... you're right. It has nothing to do with that news broadcast. I was just thinking about what happened during Third Impact, I mean to say… I was thinking of when I was begging for help. Everyone, even you, rejected me. I choked you, and then I started to do it again when we emerged from that sea of LCL... I'm pathetic...”
 
Asuka perks up at this, and stares at Shinji with a look of pure rage.
 
 
“Shinji! Don't get all depressed on me again. I know why you choked me, but... you know I was angry with you.” Asuka pauses to point at Shinji. “You never learned to love yourself... you waited `till I was comatose to tell me how you felt about me. I wish you would have told me earlier... but it's ok. I'm still here, you didn't really hurt me. I'm glad you got the guts to come back to reality in the first place. Otherwise, we wouldn't be back here... together... in the real world.” Asuka takes a deep breath and tries to calm down.
 
“But I was just so mad... hell, I almost wanted everyone to die.” Shinji begins to sob. “What kind of person am I?”
 
Shinji covers his face with his hands while Asuka shakes her head and begins to get angry again.
 
“Hey! Don't crucify yourself, dummkopf. Don't run from your feelings. Stand up to them! I didn't come back to be with a loser! You made the right choice in the end, that's all that's important.”
 
Shinji clenches his fist and stops crying. “You know what, Asuka… you're right.”
 
Asuka smiles. “I came back to be with the Shinji that was heroic and who had a backbone, the Shinji who saved me several times, including earlier today. Don't worry about the past too much... it'll hurt your head.”
 
 
Asuka puts her arm around Shinji and then all is quiet for a few moments. Both teens reflect on their words to each other. A strong, stiff breeze comes in from the east a few moments later, making Asuka shiver.
 
“Where did that breeze come from? It's c... ccold.” An annoyed Asuka says as she rubs her hands together for warmth.
 
“Here.” Shinji takes his arm away from Asuka, and removes his windbreaker. After putting the coat on her shoulders, he speaks softly. “I don't want to see you freeze, Asuka. You can have my coat.”
 
Asuka blushes. “Thank you, Shinji. See, you can be a gentleman if you really try. Asuka puts her arms into the sleeve of the coat and immediately feels warmer. “I feel much better...”
 
Shinji flashes a smile at Asuka, then turns his head and looks at the sky. “The stars are really out tonight...”
 
Asuka turns her view up towards the heavens as well. “Yeah... you can actually see some of them because of the dim lighting around here.”
 
 
Shinji and Asuka small talk while staring at the sky and enjoying each other's company. After a short time, they just look at the sky. Asuka falls asleep, putting her head on Shinji's shoulder. At the same time, another pair of people is also talking about the future, thousands of feet below Shinji and Asuka...
 
 
In NERV's Command Center, Commanders Ikari and Fuyutski have just finished talking to the president of Japan via videophone.
 
Fuyutsuki looks at Gendo. “It will begin tomorrow... there will be no meddling any longer... your plan has worked perfectly.”
 
“Indeed. The document goes out in six hours to the heads of the U.S., Chinese, and German governments. The president will be investigating many members of the UN as well... the traitors will be revealed soon enough. However, there are other pressing concerns. What is the status of Eva Unit 01?”
 
“It seems to have only minor damage. All attempts to restart it, however, have failed. Unit 02 has been brought back, but that could take several weeks or months to restore, if ever.”
 
“I see.” Gendo folds his hands. “Start research into the technology used by the other Eva units that attacked us. I want to know how those things regenerated after Unit 02 critically damaged them. Maybe some of that technology can be used on our own Eva units.”
 
“Where are we going to get funding for all of this? There is no committee giving us funds anymore...” A concerned Fuyutski replies back.
 
Gendo already knows the answer to that question. “I have made arrangements with the Commander of the JSSDF, along with the president of Japan. Money is being forwarded to us as part of `scientific research'. There will be no problems.”
 
Fuyutski nods his head in astonishment. “Well, you've done it again, Ikari. What remains to be seen is what will happen to the UN. Will it collapse? Be replaced? Or simply fade into history, as so many organizations have done when corruption runs rampant?“
 
“That remains to be seen. Mankind has been restored to this earth again, it seems. This current scenario may be unique, even SEELE cannot predict what will happen next. We are in uncharted waters...”
 
 
 
The commanders go to work, preparing for the revelation soon to come. Back on the surface, Shinji is thinking similar thoughts as Asuka soundly sleeps next to him.
 
 
Shinji speaks softly to himself. “I've brought back the real world... but have I done the right thing? It looks like chaos may result from father's report; the world could go out of control...”
 
Asuka, half awake, gives a reply to Shinji's comment. “You can't get concerned over a few little problems...” Asuka tries to suppress a yawn, but fails.” History is full of situations like these; it'll be all right. Just one more obstacle in life for the people of the world to overcome, that's all.”
 
“That sounds so philosophical...” Shinji says, skeptical about the thought she just brought out.
 
Asuka softly protests. “Hey, I had some philosophy courses in college...”
 
Asuka falls back asleep and Shinji lets her sleep for a few minutes before realizing something.
 
 
Shinji begins to nudge Asuka. “Hey, wake up! We gotta get home!” He takes another look at his watch. “It's midnight!” Shinji begins to panic. “What if Misato notices we're gone? What will she think?”
 
Asuka rolls her eyes. “Relax already! Don't freak out! I'm sure she's still sleeping, and if not, we'll just make up something. You worry too much, Ikari. I'm sooooo tired...”
 
Asuka tries to fall asleep again but Shinji stands up and takes her hand.
 
“You may be right, but we have to go. We can't spend the night out here on the bench.”
 
“I'm too tired to walk, Shinji.” Asuka motions at his back. “Let me get a lift on your back...”
 
“What? Come on, Asuka... you can walk- we're pretty close to home...”
 
Asuka gets angry with Shinji for missing the whole point of her request. “Shinji! I'm giving you an opportunity here... to prove your true feelings for me.” Shinji is greeting with a smile a moment later.
 
“Be a man and carry me back... please?” Asuka says sweetly.
 
“Oh... all right. Get on.”
 
Asuka climbs onto Shinji's back. “Hold on tight. Here we go...”
 
“Thank you, Shinji...” Asuka switches to a commanding tone of voice. “Walk faster! Schnell!”
 
Shinji sighs aloud. “I'm going, I'm going...”
 
 
As he carries Asuka home, Shinji cannot help but think to himself- `The things I do for this girl... still... she's worth it...'
 
 
A short time later, Shinji and Asuka arrive back at the apartment. Shinji goes in and goes directly to Asuka's room, being careful not to make any noise.
 
Shinji talks in a whisper. “Ok, we're back. You can get off now.”
 
“Thanks for the lift...” Asuka pauses to place a kiss on Shinji's cheek. “Tonight was fun.”
 
 
Shinji starts to blush as Asuka climbs off of his back and plops herself down on the bed.
 
 
“Good night, Shinji. See yah in the morning...” Asuka falls asleep on the bed.
 
Shinji takes the blanket on the bed and puts it over Asuka. “Good night, Asuka.”
 
 
Shinji quietly leaves the room and goes to his own, where he lies down on his bed and falls asleep almost immediately, his mind dwelling on his last thought to himself... "It's been a long day for the world. What have I begun?"
 
 
The next morning, Misato is up early, trying to make a non-instant breakfast for everyone, to celebrate. Thirty minutes later, she knocks on Asuka and Shinji's doors.
 
“Breakfast is ready! Come on, get up! We gotta lot to do today!”
 
Asuka opens her door and walks into the kitchen half-awake. She takes a seat and begins to eat the omelet Misato has prepared. Shinji is getting dressed in his room.
 
 
“Be out in a minute, Misato!” Shinji calls from his room.
 
“Ok, but hurry up, your food is getting cold.”
 
Misato turns around and looks at Asuka, immediately noticing that she is wearing Shinji's windbreaker. “Asuka...”
 
Asuka tries to respond despite having a mouth full of food. “Mmmw... what is it Misato?”
 
 
Misato glares at Asuka. “Why are you wearing Shinji's windbreaker? What did you two do last night?”
 
Asuka looks down and notices that she is still wearing the windbreaker.
 
 
`Scheisse! I forgot to take this windbreaker off last night! What should I tell Misato? Hmm... maybe the truth will work the best here...'
 
Misato taps her finger on the table impatiently. “Well, I'm waiting....”
 
 
Asuka cannot help but be a little nervous as she replies to Misato's question. “Uh... Shinji and I walked Rei home last night, and on the way back, it got cold, so Shinji gave me his windbreaker to wear. I must have been so tired when I came back, that I forgot to take it off. That's the whole story.”
 
“Really? Hmm… you know… lately I've noticed that you've been nicer to Shinji...”
 
Asuka begins to get defensive. “You're reading too much into this...”
 
At that moment, Shinji comes out of the room. He comes to Asuka's defense...
 
 
“Misato, I just gave her my windbreaker because she was cold. That's all...“ Shinji pauses to sniff the air and smells the omelet. “Is that a real egg omelet?”
 
 
Before responding to Shinji's question, Misato has another idea to sort through. `I better watch these two, I think that Third Impact must have affected them... or maybe there was something there already, and I didn't see it?'
 
“Yes, Shinji, it is. Go ahead and eat.”
 
“Say… this tastes real and it's good. Are you sure you cooked it?” Asuka says jokingly.
 
Misato begins to get angry despite being used to these sort of comments from Asuka. “Yes, Asuka. I cooked breakfast. Now eat. We'll be leaving for the clean-up site in 45 minutes. I'm going to watch some TV and wait for you guys to eat and get cleaned up.”
 
Misato stands up, heads into the front room, and begins to watch some TV. In the kitchen Asuka and Shinji are rapidly eating their food.
 
 
Asuka talks softly to Shinji. “Thanks, Shinji. I still think she suspects something, though...”
 
Shinji whispers back. “No problem. I think we should talk later, so we can discuss how we're going to handle telling other people about our... relationship.”
 
Shinji flashes a smile at Asuka and she returns his smile with one of her own. The two teens finish their breakfast and Asuka dashes off to take a shower, leaving Shinji alone with his thoughts at the table.
 
 
`Third Impact must have done something to Misato, she can actually cook something that's not instant and it tastes good...'
 
A thought sudden comes to mind. “Misato, is there anything on the TV about the other NERV facilities?”
 
“Let me check.” Misato flips through the stations until she gets to the news station. “We'll find out in a second...”
 
 
The TV anchorman on the TV begins to make an announcement. “Our next story in world news this morning. Chaos in the UN... the entire UN committee is under investigation this morning after classified documents were sent out to all member nations. The NERV facility in Matsushiro was secured this morning, and the personnel are being questioned as we speak. Several key personnel seem to be missing however...”
 
“I guess they got Matsushiro...” Misato says, wondering what else could happen next.
 
The news report continues. “Elsewhere in the world, China has announced that the Beijing NERV facility will be shut down until further notice. No reason was given for this unexpected development. Germany reports the sudden closing of their Hamburg and Berlin NERV facilities due to an `internal emergency'…”
 
 
 
Asuka comes out of the shower, dressed in a red T-shirt and jeans, ready for the community clean up. She walks over to Shinji and gently taps him on the shoulder.
 
“Shinji, go ahead. I'm done with the bathroom.”
 
“Misato let me know if anything else comes up on the news.” Shinji says as he stands up.
 
“ No problem. Be quick, Shinji. We gotta leave soon.”
 
Asuka sits down on floor next to Misato. Misato takes a look at Asuka and asks: “How's your arm doing?”
 
“It's ok... still hurts, though. I put new bandages on it. How does my eye look?” Asuka says, concerned about her appearance.
 
Misato smiles. “It's a lot better... there's only a little swelling left.” Misato glances at the TV. “You missed some interesting news, Asuka.”
 
 
Both women turn and look at the TV as another report is read. “The United States has reported that their Massachusetts NERV facility has refused to let government officials in for questioning. Military action is being considered... the president will make a decision soon.”
 
 
Asuka is surprised by the situation and how serious it's getting. “Wow... this is getting really serious. Who knows what will happen next?”
 
Misato nods her head. “I totally agree with you, Asuka. Who knows?”
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 6: Clean Up
 
 
Don't forget to R and R… Chapter 6 will be combined, so it's not split into two parts like it is now on mediaminer and fanficsrus. New redone chapter on Friday 8/4… and for those who are waiting for a new chapter, I'm happy to report about 10 pages are already done. Ja ne!