Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 6: Clean Up ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: Clean Up
 
Emerald edition note: Combined the original two part chapters into one chapter, and added more detail. I'm glad to see I got some new readers… I'm hoping that all of the old readers will come back, too… especially when I start getting to the really good chapters. The infamous joke chapter is not that far ahead… I will be taking extra care to make that one even funnier then before.
 
 
 
This chapter opens up with Asuka and Misato watching the TV in the living room of the apartment that they share with Shinji. After watching another five minutes of other news clips, Misato looks at her watch and notices the time...
 
“Shinji, you almost done? It's about time to go...” Misato yells over at the bathroom.
 
Asuka joins in the yelling as well. “Hurry up, dummkopf! We have to go!”
 
“Be out in a second...” Shinji says as he hurriedly gets dressed. `I better get out there quick or they'll really start getting angry…'
 
 
“While we're waiting for Shinji, Asuka, why don't you get those three backpacks in the corner and put them by the front door for me. I have to grab a few more things to take with...
 
Misato gets up and walks into her room while Asuka begins to get annoyed.
 
 
“Why do I have to do everything around here?”
 
Asuka gets up and walks over to a corner of the living room, where there are three different colored backpacks lying in the corner. “I wonder what these are for?” She says softly as she picks up the pink one and notices the initials ALS on it. “Hey Misato, is the pink backpack mine?”
 
“Yeah. The blue one is Shinji's and the black one is mine. I had our initials put on the packs as well. Don't look inside, I have surprises for you and Shinji in there...” Misato says from her room.
 
Asuka cannot help but get more curious about what's inside. “Oh... but I wanna see what's in there now...”
 
Misato walks back into the living room. “Just wait `till later, ok? I have something special for both of you. I picked up these backpacks this morning, I couldn't sleep too well... so I got up early, bought the backpacks, and made breakfast. You and Shinji can use them for school or anything else you want...”
 
The bathroom door slides open and Shinji steps out, dressed in blue jeans and a brown shirt.
 
 
Asuka puts her hand on her hip and looks at Shinji. “It's about time... are you ready?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Asuka smiles. “Good. Now, catch!” She throws the blue backpack across the room to Shinji, who catches it and begins to examine it.
 
“This has some weight to it, what's in it?”
 
Misato wags her finger teasingly at the two teens. “Don't peek! Let's go!”
 
Misato starts to walk towards the front door and grabs her backpack when she gets there. “Bye Pen-Pen! We'll be back later!”
 
 
Asuka starts for the front door. Shinji is just standing there; backpack on, waiting for her. Asuka starts to walk past him, then grabs his arm and starts to drag him out of the apartment. Pen-Pen grabs a beer and watches some TV... he can see the new bond forming between Shinji and Asuka.
 
 
Asuka teases Shinji a little. “Is this why you were waiting, to have me drag you out of the house?”
 
Shinji blushes slightly. “Uh... not exactly.”
 
 
Shinji and Asuka finally make it out of the apartment, and then start to walk with Misato towards the community center, where the city clean up assignments are being given out. On the walk over, Asuka asks Misato again if she can open the backpack, but is told not too, much to her chagrin. Shinji contains his curiosity for the time being.
 
The trio arrive at the community center a little while later, one of the few surviving tall buildings in Tokyo-3. They are given a clipboard that lists all of the assignments available for the residents of this particular area of Tokyo-3. Misato looks at the list and decides to take a supervisory task, due to her command experience over at NERV. The clipboard is passed over to Shinji and Asuka, who look at it and try and make a decision...
 
 
“There are some interesting assignments on here... what do you think, Asuka?”
 
Asuka shrugs her shoulders. “I guess... but most of them look sorta boring to me...”
 
Misato gets a little annoyed by that comment and goes into "major mode". “You two have to pick something, so get to it!”
 
Asuka sighs. “Oh, all right...” She points to a line on the paper and looks at Shinji. “How about this one, Shinji? I think it'll do.”
 
“I guess... we have to pick something, anyway.” Shinji says with little enthusiasm.
 
“Don't get all excited about it. I just LOVE that enthusiasm that you have sometimes...” Asuka says jokingly… which makes Shinji annoyed.
 
“Let me see what you picked...” Misato says as Asuka hands her the clipboard, she looks at the task that Asuka selected. “You two go over to the clean-up organizer over by the front door; he'll give you some bags and other things you may need to use. I am going to help supervise and organize here, so I guess I'll see you two later. Have fun!”
 
Misato pauses to hand each of them a piece of paper. “Once you two leave the community center, read the note, and then look in your backpacks to see what I gave you as a surprise. I gotta get going, see you two later!”
 
Asuka and Shinji walk to the front door as Misato walks off in a different direction to get her assignment. After talking to the clean up organizer, the two are given some gloves, garbage bags, and trash picks for the assignment that they had picked.
 
 
“Thanks for volunteering to clean up the lookout areas and the surrounding hills. There was a lot of garbage up there before that big bomb was dropped on us, and I'm sure there still is a lot of trash there. Anything that's too bulky to move, mark with one of the little flags I gave you, or make a note of it, so when the inspector comes by to see how your work is coming, you can tell them about it. Got it?” The clean up organizer says with a smile.
 
 
Asuka and Shinji nod their heads in acknowledgement, and start their journey to the surrounding hills, where they begin to clean up the mess that was left there. On a hill overlooking Tokyo-3, around 10:30 A.M... Asuka suddenly remembers the note that Misato gave her...
 
“Hey Shinji, did you read that note yet?”
 
Shinji shakes his head in response. “No... but I'll read it now.” He pulls the paper out of his pocket and begins to read it to himself.
 
Shinji,
I packed lunch for you and Asuka in these two backpacks that I bought for you. There is ramen soup in the thermos, and some candy for dessert. I have also packed two blankets; so you both have something to sit on- just think of it as a picnic for two. I've been watching you two, and I think there is something between you and Asuka. I knew you two would pick something that was far away from my eyes as an assignment, so I wanted to give you two something that could make today better for both of you. I am glad you're making an attempt here, Shinji. I can see through your denials, you feel something for her. Try and talk to her, don't run away from your feelings. See if you two can get something going. Best of luck! See you later...
 
Misato
 
After reading the letter, Shinji starts to blush and gets nervous. `Misato is trying to play matchmaker with us? Oh my...'
 
Asuka notices Shinji's nervousness, and walks over to him.
 
“Hey, what's wrong? What did she write on that paper?”
 
Shinji clutches the paper to his chest. “Uh... nothing important.” He turns away and blushes. “Why don't you read your note?”
 
Shinji puts the note in his pocket as Asuka takes out her note.
 
“ Oh, all right. Since you won't tell me what's on your paper, I guess I'll read mine. It probably says the same thing, anyway.” Asuka says before reading the contents of the letter aloud.
 
Asuka,
 
I packed a special picnic lunch and blankets in your backpack and Shinji's backpack. I knew you two would pick an assignment away from my eyes... so I figured I would make something for you two to enjoy today. I've had my eye on you two for a while, and I know you like Shinji, despite your claims to the contrary. Why don't you use this opportunity to try and talk with him? I know he likes you as well, and maybe he'll open up a little more... see what you can get going. Best of luck, see yah later!
 
Misato
 
 
Asuka gets a rush of mixed emotions after reading the letter: she feels nervous, embarrassed, slightly angry, and sort of uncomfortable, because Misato has figured everything out. Her plans to keep this secret have apparently failed...
 
Asuka's face turns red. `Misato is trying to hook us up? What is the world coming to...' She puts the paper back into her pocket and starts to fidget. “So... Misato packed lunch for us, huh...”
 
“I guess... guess so.”
 
An uncomfortably long moment of silence passes between them, neither one speaking to the other. Finally, Asuka gets a few words out...
 
“Why... why don't we get back to work... and we'll worry about the lunch thing later... ok, Shinji?” Asuka says nervously.
 
Shinji is relieved that the awkward situation is past for the time being. He decides to focus his mind on the task on hand. “Yeah, ok. Let's get this area cleaned up, and then we'll keep moving down the road there towards the lookout station.”
 
“Sounds good. Let's get this stupid mess cleaned up!” Asuka says as she picks up a garbage bag.
 
 
Shinji and Asuka get back to the task of cleaning up the area and picking up all of the trash that is lying around. There is a significant amount of bottles and cans lying around in the area, due to the popularity of this particular spot as a teenage hangout... both of them are reminded of Misato's habits and the way the apartment used to look...
 
 
“How can people be so messy? There is garbage everywhere! Jeez... what pigs people can be...” Asuka says, disgusted with the mess.
 
Shinji just looks at her and smiles... `That's Asuka for you…' Both continue to pick up the garbage... time swiftly passes- soon it is 1:30 P.M. Shinji looks at his watch and notices the time.
 
 
“Asuka, it's 1:30. I'm getting hungry, do you... do you want to stop and eat lunch?”
 
Asuka puts her hand on her hip. “I guess so… let's see what kind of "goodies" Misato packed for this little picnic we're going to have...” Asuka says that last part with a bit of sarcasm.
 
She takes her backpack off and drops it to the ground, and opens it up: revealing a thermos, a blanket, and some candy bars. Asuka opens up another compartment of the backpack and finds a couple cans of soda pop. “Well, it looks like a good meal to me...”
 
Shinji takes off his backpack and does the same thing that Asuka just did, and examines the goods inside the backpack...
 
“Yeah...” Shinji pulls out the blanket and spreads it across the ground. “It was nice of her to make lunch for us...” He says as he starts taking his lunch out of the backpack.
 
Asuka sits down on the blanket, opens her backpack, and unloads her lunch as she speaks. “I guess. There's no point in trying to hide anything from her anymore... she just read right through us this morning.”
 
Shinji nods his head. “Yeah, she did.”
 
Shinji begins eating his soup while Asuka thinks about a few things… she turns and looks at him intently.
 
“Hey, Shinji, this morning you said you wanted to discuss our relationship, so let's do it, while we're on break.”
 
Shinji turns his head away, Asuka's intense gaze makes feel uncomfortable. “Oh... all right. You know I...I...really like you, Asuka. It's just so hard...”
 
Asuka continues Shinji's line of thought. “It's hard... for you to be close to other people.” Asuka lowers her tone and speaks softly. “Hey, I know that. I know you have problems expressing your feelings, but I saw your whole life yesterday, remember? I have my own problems...“
 
Shinji turns his head back to look at Asuka. “Yeah, I know. I saw how you felt about Kaji...”
 
Asuka's face suddenly becomes flushed. “Well... yeah. I did have feelings for him... well ummm… you saw my life. I said that I would live for myself and that I had to take care of myself... after my mother hanged herself.” Asuka pauses and begins to speak in a somber tone of voice.
 
“I grew up very quickly, and I was genuinely attracted to him, but it still wasn't real. He treated my like a girl still... his heart really belonged to Misato... now you tell me, what's with you and Wonder-girl?” Asuka points at Shinji. “I want to hear your story...”
 
Shinji gulps and attempts to put his feelings for Rei into words...
 
“Well, I was attracted to her a bit... but... I just really wanted to know and understand her; she was so distant and alone. It's hard to put into words, it's as if she's a part of me that was torn away a long time ago...”
 
Asuka studies Shinji for a moment and realizes that he's telling the truth and being honest about his feelings. “Ok... I understand now, what I saw in your thoughts makes sense now: I know you asked her to come back for the reasons you stated at the time. You still seem a little bothered by something... are you still upset about by my comments yesterday?”
 
 
Shinji shakes his head in denial. “No... not really.”
 
Asuka points at Shinji and shakes her head. “I can read you better than that, Third child! I know your still thinking about it... I'll tell you another reason I came back… I could've had a perfect family, been with my mother, had a wonderful and happy reality in that place where all people were one. I even had a perfect Shinji as a boyfriend...”
 
That revelation catches Shinji's attention and he knows that she really likes him… even in a perfect world.
 
Asuka gets to the point. “Now you tell me, why did I want to leave all of that to come back to a place of uncertainty?”
 
 
Shinji looks at Asuka and tries to answer her question, but words will not come to his lips. After a few moments of silence, Asuka answers her own question...
 
 
“Because it wasn't real, Shinji. I know life has its ups and downs, and I wanted to be with real people, with real personalities. I can't snap off comments about everything if the world is perfect... and it just didn't feel right. You made a decision to come back, so I... I wanted to give life a second chance...even if no one else came back besides us.” With that, Asuka starts to eat her soup quietly.
 
Shinji is struck by her deep words and keeps eating his soup, wondering how this girl could be so deep, and yet be shallow towards others at times. As he finishes the rest of his lunch, he takes an occasional glance at Asuka. A short time later, both of them finish eating and Shinji stretches out on the blanket- staring out at the wonderful view of Tokyo-3 the picnic spot provided. Asuka grabs some of the packaged dessert items and chows them down. After a quick glance at Shinji, she decides to make a move and stretches out next to Shinji on the blanket.
 
 
Asuka pushes Shinji and voices her protest. “Move over a little! I wanna be on the blanket, not the ground!”
 
“You got your own blanket, Asuka...” Shinji says, feeling a little annoyed. He reluctantly moves over to let her stretch out right next to him.
 
Asuka is shocked at how dense he could be at this moment. `Didn't he figure out that I wanted to be close to him? He was more romantic yesterday...maybe I hurt his feelings last night...'
 
“Shinji, I need my blanket to wrap myself up. I'm going to take a nap; you wake me up in thirty minutes, ok? Then we'll get back to work. Got it, Shinji?” She covers herself with the other blanket and soon falls asleep.
 
Shinji sets his watch timer for thirty minutes and softly says “Got it, Asuka…”
 
 
A few moments later, Shinji feels Asuka's left hand go into his right hand and then feels a gentle squeeze. Shinji almost pulls his hand away as a reflex action, but fights the urge to get away from the human contact and returns the affection by giving her a little squeeze back. Shinji continues to hold her hand, enjoying the warmth of her touch and the warm feeling he feels inside. Turning his head to his right side, he notices the sleeping Asuka and the beauty that her face seems to radiate... one of the main things that attracts him to her.
 
`She looks so quiet and peaceful when she sleeps... so unlike when she's awake... still... she has that self-determination and will to go on that I wish I had more of... I can't keep running from my feelings... she did come back to be with me...'
 
Shinji interrupts his thoughts and turns his head towards the sky. `Life can be so confusing...Mom ...I wish I could talk to you about this...'
 
The Third Child starts to daydream as he stares at the blue, cloudless sky. A figure walks onto the hill from the east and notices the picnic blanket and the two people on top of it...
 
 
Hikari takes a good look at the blanket and smiles. “So... I guess she doesn't think that he's a big fat dork anymore. I better go see what those two are up to...”
 
The class rep walks over the hill and stops a few feet away from Shinji. She begins speaking quietly to Shinji so she's doesn't wake Asuka up. “I thought you two would be working...”
 
 
A startled Shinji turns his head nervously and sees Hikari standing behind him. He wasn't expecting to see her again so soon...
 
Shinji cannot help but blush. He speaks in a whisper as well. “We're on our lunch break. Asuka is taking a short nap, and then we're getting back to work.” His eyes happen to notice the clipboard that Hikari is holding. “Are you one of the inspectors for the clean up?”
 
Hikari smiles and nods her head. “Yep. They asked me to go around and see how the assignments were going. It looks like you two are almost done, anyway.”
 
Hikari looks at the blanket and notices that Shinji and Asuka are holding hands. “I didn't know you had it in you, Shinji...”
 
Shinji begins to get nervous. “W-what do you mean, Hikari?”
 
Hikari points at Shinji's right hand, which is holding Asuka's left.
 
“Oh, you mean this... uh… well... Asuka and I have an... understanding now.”
 
Hikari giggles. “Well, that's good for you two. I know Asuka was angry at everything and everyone before I left last week, and she was really down about life. It looks like you cheered her up.” Hikari pauses to sit down on the grass. “Can I stay here and wait for Asuka to wake up? I want to say hi and tell her what's planned for our class, stuff like that.”
 
“Sure, I guess it would be ok. Just don't wake her up; I don't want her to get on my case for having her nap interrupted.”
 
“No problem. I know how Asuka can be when she's tired...” Hikari says as she starts to write down figures on the clipboard.
 
Twenty-five minutes later, a beeping noise emanates from Shinji's watch, indicating the half hour time period had elapsed. He gently nudges Asuka, trying to awaken her...
 
 
“Asuka... wake up. It's been half an hour...”
 
A half-awake Asuka stares at Shinji for a moment, then puts her right hand on Shinji's shoulder.
 
“Let me sleep for a few more minutes... please... Ikari.” Asuka says groggily.
 
Hikari clears her throat. “I think you need to get back to work, Miss Soryu...”
 
 
Asuka turns her head to see who spoke, and sees Hikari, who had been sitting next to the blanket, behind Shinji. She goes red and gets nervous and fidgety. After a brief moment has passed, she feels a rush of emotions inside. Hikari is okay... being back with her friends was one of the reasons that she urged Shinji to bring back this world. She gives Hikari a long hug... which causes the class rep to wonder why Asuka is so emotional...
 
“I'm glad to see you again... you're okay, right?”
 
“Of course, Asuka. My family was far away from everything that happened here, and we brought back Pen-Pen as soon as everything was over. He couldn't wait to get home... and I wanted to see all of my friends again...”
 
 
Shinji watches this moment between Asuka and Hikari and smiles... he got to help Asuka fulfill her wish of seeing Hikari again... maybe this new world won't be too bad after all...
 
 
 
Part Two:
 
 
 
“I'm one of the inspectors for the clean up today. I was checking assignments in this area and saw your name and Shinji's on the list: together. I just HAD to see you two.” Hikari says with a smile.
 
Asuka is feeling a little awkward about Hikari witnessing her with Shinji in this manner. “Uh... that was nice of you.”
 
“I also wanted to tell both of you that the school will be opening up again on Monday, in three days. Toji and Kensuke will be back before class starts again as well.”
 
 
`There goes the little break we had from school...' Shinji thinks, not really enthusiastic about having to go back to school again so soon. `Since Hikari's here… maybe I should ask about Toji…'
 
“Hikari, how's Toji doing? I know he got out of the hospital a couple of days ago, just before the city was bombed.”
 
Asuka nudges Hikari. “Yeah, Hikari, spill. Tell us how us you and the fourth child are doing.”
 
Hikari turns her head away from Shinji and Asuka and starts to blush.
 
 
”We... we're doing fine. I talked to Toji this morning, he's doing okay. He was having problems with his restored leg... you know that they used some kind of reconstructive surgery to reattach it...”
 
Shinji nods his head. “Go on...”
 
Hikari turns her head back towards Asuka and Shinji. “Toji said that yesterday, his leg felt different, it was like... like nothing ever happened to it. He said he felt like a new man.”
 
 
Shinji glances at Asuka for a moment, conveying a single thought... `Probably an effect of my wish'. Asuka understands why Shinji glanced at her, and returns his look with a slight nod.
 
“It's nice to hear that Toji will be back to his old self.” Shinji says, feeling happy about the good news.
 
“Yeah...” Hikari looks at her watch and notices the time. “It's getting late...I have a few more assignments to check. I'll expect to see you two in class on Monday. Asuka, maybe you can come by after class, we should be in our new apartment by then.”
 
Hikari stands up and Asuka also gets on her feet. She puts her hand on Hikari's shoulder to get the other girls' attention…
 
“Hikari... wait a second. You... didn't see anything, ok?”
 
“Asuka... don't worry. If you don't want me to say anything about you and Shinji, it's no problem.“
 
“There... there's no problem, it's just that...” Asuka says nervously. She forces herself to continue speaking. “This is the first time I've been in a relationship like this and... I'm not used to it yet. I wanna get the feel of it, before making it public knowledge, ok?”
 
 
Hikari looks at Asuka understandingly and nods her head.
 
“No problem, Asuka. I won't say anything. You do remember that there are jokes going around the class about you and Shinji being `newlyweds'“
 
“Yeah... but I don't want to feed the fire.” She stops to point at Hikari. “You keep Toji in line, and the jokes will be kept to a minimum.”
 
Hikari winks back at Asuka. “Got it, Asuka. I'll call you later tonight, ok? I gotta get back to work.”
 
 
Asuka and Shinji watch as Hikari walks off to the east, and then down off of the hill, traveling to her next checkpoint on the clean up list.
 
 
“Well, we better finish up the cleaning.” Asuka says, wanting to get it over with.
 
Asuka watches as Shinji points at the lookout point in the distance. “All we have to do is make our way up there, and we'll be done. It won't take too much longer...” Shinji notices that Asuka's deep in thought and walks a little closer. “Asuka… are you okay?”
 
 
Red hair swishes around as Asuka nods her head. “Of course I am. I was just thinking... thinking about everything that's happened in the last two days. I feel... feel more alive and I'm happier then I've been in a long time. I've found my mother... a reason to live... and...” Asuka begins to blush. “Real love.”
 
Asuka pulls Shinji into a warm, close embrace. “Thank you, Shinji.”
 
 
Shinji starts to feel warm all over and blushes profusely. He slowly puts his own arms around Asuka, pulling her closer. Asuka puts her head over Shinji's shoulder; Shinji does the same over Asuka's shoulder. Neither one of them speaks, their emotions being conveyed without words: the embrace conveys everything. Silent moments pass...finally, Shinji speaks a few words...
 
“Thank you, Asuka. For coming back...I don't know what kind of life I would have had without you... and... your... wonderful personality.”
 
That comment gets Asuka's attention. She pulls back and looks at Shinji and grins.
 
“I hope you weren't being sarcastic... I do have a wonderful personality...” She points a finger at Shinji. “And YOU better get used to it! You have to take the WHOLE package... and so... do I. All of you...”
 
Shinji looks longingly at Asuka and can feel his heart beating faster. `She wants me… the way I am… oh Asuka…'
 
Asuka gently nudges Shinji. “Now that we got all of that straight... let's finish up. I wanna get home and relax. Misato got us up waaaaay too early, and I'm still tired.”
 
“Yeah. Let's finish up as fast as we can…” Shinji says as he eyes the hill ahead.
 
 
Shinji and Asuka return to their clean up work, picking up the garbage at a rapid rate, both of them just want to finish up and go home... about an hour later, the task is finished. They return to the community center, and report in to the Clean Up Organizer, who is very appreciative for their hard work.
 
“Thank you for your help. You two did the job quickly, and it was done right. Ms. Horaki said that you two were really ahead of schedule and doing a good quality job. That's what I like to see in young people today, dedication to whatever they may be doing. I don't want to keep you... thanks for your help. I know if there is another clean up day like this, I can count on you two.”
 
 
The two teens take a bow and thank the organizer. Their next objective is to find Misato… they start walking around the community center and find her a couple minutes later talking to some other volunteers.
 
 
“Good work, guys. Go and report in to the Clean Up Organizer.”
 
The two volunteers in front of Misato bow and then leave. Misato notices Shinji and Asuka standing nearby. “You two are done already? Wow, that was quick.”
 
“It was no problem. Garbage cannot stand before the mighty Asuka!” Asuka says as she makes a peace sign. “It had to be conquered!”
 
Misato is happy to hear that. “You two work really well together, this proves it once again. I just finished up myself... let's go home.” Misato pauses for a moment to recall one more thing that she needs to mention to the two teens. “You two have to go to headquarters for sync tests tomorrow. Rei stopped by just after you two left, and told me. She's over at headquarters right now.”
 
“Both of us?” Is Shinji's reply a moment later.
 
A nodding head on Misato's part confirms that thought. “Yeah. I guess there's not taking any chances; they want to have all pilots be able to go in all available units.”
 
 
Asuka is a little annoyed by that revelation. “I have to go in Unit 01? I guess it'll be ok...”
 
Misato tries to comfort Asuka about this. “Hey, don't worry about it too much. Rei said that the were going to rebuild Unit 02...”
 
Excitement suddenly builds in the pilot of Unit 2. “That's great!” She reaches for Shinji and grabs him. “Right, Shinji?”
 
Shinji looks at Asuka and responds with a smile...
 
“Yeah. When they get your EVA rebuilt, then we'll both have an EVA again...”
 
Asuka lets go of Shinji and thinks to herself. `I'm glad that you'll be back... mama.”
 
Shinji notices Asuka thinking and sees the word "mama" mouthed silently on her lips. He knows why she is so happy...
 
 
Misato, Shinji, and Asuka leave the community center and head back towards their apartment complex. Misato is walking in the center, Shinji to the right, Asuka to the left. Misato strikes up a conversation with Shinji and Asuka almost immediately...
 
“So... how was the lunch that I packed for you two? I hope it was tasty...” Misato nudges Asuka and then Shinji and waits for an answer.
 
“It was decent...” Asuka begins thinking- `I'll bet anything that's she's going to ask about our lunch "date" any minute...`
 
“It was nice.” Shinji replies, happy with the lunch and the gift. “Thanks, Misato. The backpack is nice, too.”
 
Misato's attention goes back to Asuka. “Did you like the backpack, Asuka?”
 
“Yeah... it's fine.”
 
“Okay... so lunch was good... now tell me...” She nudges Asuka and Shinji again. “How are YOU two?”
 
 
That comment unsettles the two pilots; both blush and don't make an immediate response to her inquiry. A few moments pass by, and then she makes another comment...
 
“Oh, come on... tell me. I've been around for a while, so I saw through your denials quite easily.” She puts her arms around both pilots. “Besides, you guys have been living with me for a while, so I know your personalities quite well. I think you two have changed a little recently, especially in the last couple days...”
 
 
Shinji starts to form some words, and begins to speak to Misato. She is surprised that he is the first one speak...
 
“We... we're fine. Asuka and I had a nice lunch together, and now...”
 
Asuka interrupts Shinji. “And now... we're... closer.”
 
Misato notices Asuka beginning to grin and wonders what's going on. “Shinji was with the TOTAL package here...”
 
Asuka does a modeling pose, Shinji and Misato turn and look at her. “I've got looks... brains... and a wonderful personality to boot. How could he resist me? How could any guy turn this package down?” Asuka says that last part with a smile and winks at Shinji.
 
 
Shinji sweatdrops and Misato just smiles.
 
“Of course, Asuka. I should have known that this would work. So... Shinji just couldn't resist you, huh?”
 
“Of course not.” Shinji feels Asuka put her arm around him and then she speaks again. “Right, Shinji?”
 
“Uh... yeah.” The blushing Third Child replies back a moment later.
 
 
Misato is beside herself. `This worked… it really did. I guess I still got it.'
 
The two teens notice Misato is now staring at them and smiling. “That's great! Let's grab a bite to eat on the way back, my treat. I always knew you two would make a nice couple... if you could overcome your own personal obstacles.”
 
“That's right!” Asuka says happily. She gives Shinji a squeeze then lets go of him. “So... where are we going to eat?”
 
 
The trio start walking up the street, discussing where to eat, and talking about the day's activities. Everything seems all right... but elsewhere in Japan... a brown-haired woman wearing jeans and a blue top is on her knees in front of a gravestone. She weeps for two losses, the one in front of her, from 5 years past, and the loss that just occurred recently...
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 7: To Grandma's House We Go.
 
Hopefully I'll be able to redo the next chapter on Sunday and get it up on Monday… otherwise, it may be Tuesday or Wednesday… I do have tests coming up. `Till next time, don't forget to R and R!