Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 8: Kyoto and the Sync Test ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Kyoto and the Sync Test
 
 
 
Emerald edition note: I'm going to an anime convention in Wichita, Kansas this next week and my finals are on Thursday so another redone chapter plus a totally brand spanking new chapter will be posted by next Thursday, 8/24. I hope this chapter holds everyone over until then. Also, ignore the picture references until I say my site is back up…
 
 
 
 
In the pre-dawn hours of the new day, a man makes his way through the shadows to a secret base, untouched for many weeks, in the bowels of the city of Kyoto, to meet with a friend...
 
Ryoji Kaji carefully walks into a dark, barely lit room in the basement of an apartment building in central Kyoto. He draws his pistol, being ready for anything. Slowly, he nudges open the door and looks inside. A woman with three cats is waiting for him behind a desk, very curious about a great many things, including the fact that he's alive...
 
Author note: This woman is the one from the Japanese government that was shown a few times in the series, the one who was feeding the three cats in episode 15. I will call her "Gov. Agent" from this point forward.
 
“I've been waiting for you... please, come in.”
 
Kaji slowly walks into the room and sits down in one of the three chairs that are present in the room. He puts his pistol away.
 
 
“So... what did you want to talk about? I contacted you as soon as I `revived'… but I had a few problems getting over here in secret...”
 
The Gov. Agent clears her throat. “Well, for starters, it was reported that you died; at least that's what I heard. I also assumed something was up when you didn't call me after that abduction you preformed. It seems to me that you're working for at least two different agencies here... “She folds her hands and then stares at him.
 
 
Kaji begins to get a little bit nervous and fidgets a little. “Um... there are some reasons why I didn't report in... I was shot just after that abduction, I could report nothing. As for me working for two organizations... well... I am just after the truth here. That's what killed me; at least, I thought it did....”
 
“The only reason I agreed to this meeting after finding out about your being a "double agent" was to see if you were the one who released all of this information about NERV and SEELE to the president. There was a worldwide event of some sort recently, everyone was disorientated a couple of days ago. It seems after what you've told me, I came to the conclusion that it was not you at all who let this information out. The documents that were released seem to concur with most everything that you've sent to us, except on a few points.”
 
 
Kaji nods his head and then starts talking about what he knows. “I've read the report that was sent out about NERV and SEELE, and I was quite surprised. Almost everything that I've discovered about the organization was mentioned, sans a few `details'. Critical ones that would have had NERV shut down in Tokyo. Whoever sent out this report did so very carefully, and worded it just right.”
 
The agent sighs aloud.” The president won't talk about the source with intelligence... so I'm doing a little recon work of my own here. I want to know who sent this out; intelligence has been unable to find out on its own. Is what was reported about SEELE true? Was there a big push for this `Human Instrumentality Project' by this group?”
 
“Damn right. They tried to instigate Third Impact and bring about the merging of humanity into one... they were going to use the Lance of Longinus, among other things, to get what they wanted...”
 
“I see. After your death, the lance was launched into lunar orbit and has since disappeared from our satellites. There were unconfirmed reports that it came back to Earth. All that SEELE has done must be why the president and several other world leaders are in turmoil right now; they want to find these people very badly. The other NERV facilities have been shut down and taken over. Several key people, specifically scientists, are missing from the other NERV facilities. It's my theory that this SEELE organization has taken these people and gone into hiding somewhere.”
 
After a long pause, the government agent continues. “Here's where you come in. I need you to find out what happened to this missing people and where they went. I also need more information on this SEELE organization. Consider this a chance to redeem yourself, Kaji. Find the truth... and find out where this report came from...”
 
Kaji interrupts the agent. “You're giving me another chance here? That's more than gracious of you. There are still a few things about NERV and SEELE that I feel are still hidden anyway...”
 
“Very good.” She turns away for a moment to pet one of the cats, which has jumped onto the desk. “You keep in touch with me constantly, so I know that you're working on this project, and not doing something else. Since most people in NERV think you're dead... I need you to stay undercover and not make contact with anyone over there. Understood?”
 
 
Kaji gets on his feet, “Got it. I'll get to work right away. I'll be staying in the old Hilton, on the outskirts. Out of the way, yet close. Since it hasn't been used too much lately, I can stay out of sight. I'll be in room 215... “He starts to walk out of the room and hears a voice behind him.
 
“Let me know if you need anything. Oh, and Kaji… don't try anything funny, Kaji. We'll be watching you. One more thing...”
 
Kaji turns around and looks at the woman...
 
“Yeah?”
 
“It's nice to have you back and in one piece. Call me in a couple hours, ok?” The Government Agent says with a smile.
 
“No problem.”
 
 
Kaji walks out of the door and heads back to the surface of Kyoto. He makes his way to the old hotel, room 215. Arriving a few moments before dawn, he enters and checks out the room, finding it the same as when he left it...sparsely furnished, only the basics are present, i.e. a bed, a couple of cabinets, a computer on a desk, and a basic kitchen and bathroom. A layer of dust is everywhere...
 
After carefully checking out the room, Kaji grabs a duster and starts to clean the room. He feels sort nostalgic, being back in this room. There are certainly a lot of memories here...
 
 
“Seems to be in one piece... computer could be better, though. Looks like no one ever came in here. I'll get a new computer from the Japanese government...”
 
 
Kaji grabs his cell phone and reports into his friend, the government agent. He then stretches out on the bed... `What a day... wish I could see you, Misato'... he thinks to himself as sleep quickly envelopes him... dreams of Misato fill his head...
 
 
Back in Tokyo-3, Misato awakens at 7:00 AM, and is shocked to find no breakfast being made as she enters the kitchen.
 
`No breakfast? Where's Asuka?' She turns her head to look in the front room and sees that Shinji and Asuka are still sleeping. `I guess I should leave them be... would be a quieter breakfast anyway.'
 
 
Misato opens up the cabinet above the kitchen sink, grabs a few cereal bars that were inside, and puts them in her purse. She has an evil thought... `I'll let them sleep 'till its time to take the test, then come back here and hope that they are awake... I can joke with them about "sleeping together" for months.'
 
She chuckles to herself as she quietly leaves the apartment, careful not to awaken the sleeping children. A few minutes later, Pen-Pen emerges from his refrigerator, and waddles forward a few steps before seeing a sleeping Asuka and Shinji in the front room. A look of bewilderment suddenly appears on his face... he almost lets out a squawk, but restrains himself, for fear of awakening Asuka. Pen-Pen quietly waddles back over to his refrigerator and goes back inside, to play it "safe" until the two pilots awaken...
 
 
Time passes... soon it is 8:30 AM. Shinji is the first one to awaken. He turns his head to the right and his eyes are filled with red... Asuka is still asleep next to him. Very carefully, he gets up and goes into the kitchen.
 
`I wonder where Misato is?' He walks over to Misato's door and opens it a little bit. “Misato, are you here?”
 
 
After a few moments of silence, Shinji goes back into the kitchen and thinks about what to do.
 
 
`I could call headquarters and find out if she's there... but knowing her, she probably had to go in early or something. Asuka was supposed to make breakfast... but I don't want to wake her up. I'll cook up something for both of us and then wake her up when I'm finished.' He notices a book on the kitchen counter.
 
“Misato left her recipe book over here...” Shinji flips to a book marked page. “I see... so that's how she made that omelet... hmm. Maybe I could try and make this...”
 
 
Shinji starts to make two egg omelets, following the recipe in the book very carefully. He tries to make breakfast as quietly as possible. After about ten minutes have passed, Asuka awakens on her own...
 
A half awake Asuka sniffs the air. “Wh... what's that smell? Shinji, where are you?”
 
“Asuka, I'm in the kitchen, making breakfast. I just got up about ten minutes ago.” Shinji calls from the kitchen.
 
Asuka stands up and then looks at Shinji. “Where's Misato?”
 
Shinji starts talking as he flips the omelet in the pan. “I think she left early. Since you weren't up, I decided to make breakfast for both of us.”
 
Asuka smiles as she walks into the kitchen and looks at what Shinji is making, then sits down at the kitchen table. Pen-Pen comes out of his refrigerator and waddles up to the table. Asuka notices and speaks to the penguin in a sarcastic tone...
 
 
“What do you want?”
 
“SQQQUAAAK!”
 
“Food? Misato didn't feed you? Mein gott... we have do everything around here. Right, Shinji?”
 
`Uh... sometimes. Remember, Misato does help us out a lot, Asuka.”
 
Asuka begins to get annoyed. “I guess... now where's my breakfast! I'm starving over here...”
 
“Hold on, hold on... it's almost ready...” Shinji says, trying to get annoyed himself. Pen-Pen lets out another squawk and Shinji sighs aloud. “Yeah, I'll give you some of my omelet...”
 
 
One minute later, breakfast is ready. Shinji gets three plates and three forks out and places them on the kitchen table. Pen-Pen waddles over to other refrigerator and grabs a beer, then hops up on one of the chairs as Shinji places the food on the three plates and sits down.
 
 
“This is... really good, Shinji. It tastes even better than the one Misato made...” Asuka says as she happily eats her omelet.
 
Shinji blushes. “Uh... thanks, Asuka. You like it Pen-Pen?”
 
Pen-Pen waves his wings. “SQQUAAAWK!” He then continues to eat his part of the omelet, opens up the beer, and starts to drink it as well.
 
Asuka shrugs her shoulders. “I guess that means yes...” She looks at the penguin drinking beer with his food. “It looks like Pen-Pen's picked up some of Misato's bad habits...”
 
Asuka finishes her omelet. “That was very good, Shinji.”
 
 
Misato walks into the apartment and heads right for the kitchen, having finished her morning errands already... she drops a few grocery bags down on the counter and then prepares to unleash one of her better jokes on the kids...
 
 
“So...you two finally woke up.” She notices Pen-Pen sitting in a chair at the table. “Pen-Pen, you're eating with them, too? How nice...”
 
Shinji replies nervously. “Yeah... I made breakfast for all three of us... Pen-Pen looked mighty hungry...”
 
“Yeah.” Asuka points at Misato. “Aren't you supposed to feed this bird?”
 
“I went out a little early today and I forgot...” Misato starts speaking slyly. “Say, wasn't it your turn to make breakfast, Asuka?”
 
“Oops… yeah... I guess it was… umm… you could have gotten me up if you wanted breakfast before you left, yah know.” Asuka says, making up a quick excuse.
 
“I made breakfast this morning, since Asuka was still sleeping. I found your recipe book and decided to try and make omelets...”
 
Asuka breathes a sigh of relief as Shinji diverts Misato's attention away from her/
 
“I see you found my old recipe book... haven't made anything out of that in eight years, since...” She pauses for a moment as she recalls the last time she made something out of the book, it was for Kaji. “Oh, never mind. “
 
`I think it's time to get this joke started… hehe…' Misato thinks as a grin forms on her face. “Say Asuka... were you warm last night? The heat went out, and it got mighty cold in here...”
 
Asuka begins to get very nervous and sweaty. “Um... yeah... it got cold. I was able to bundle up and... keep warm...” She tries to say the last part without blushing… but Misato sees through her story with ease.
 
“And what about you Shinji... were you ok last night?”
 
Shinji starts to shake and stammers out his answer. “Uh... yeah... I was fine. Nice and... uh warm. No problem...”
 
Misato sees that both children are getting extremely uncomfortable... the time was right for the "bomb" to be dropped...
 
 
Misato puts on her most horrified expression and pretends to get angry. “Let's stop the charade here!” She slams her hand down on the table, scaring Pen-Pen and unnerving Asuka and Shinji. “I saw you two sleeping together last night in the front room. Would you care to tell me why you two were sleeping together?”
 
 
Shinji's jaw just drops. He is totally speechless and embarrassed. Redness quickly spreads over his face... Asuka's face turns red and has a look of total shock on it...
 
 
To see what Asuka's expression looks like, go to my web page and see picture 44 on page 6...
 
 
There is a long moment of silence... Pen-Pen slowly gets down and waddles over into his refrigerator, to be safe from the storm that was about to happen... Hurricane Misato...
 
Both pilots attempt to utter a few words in their defense, but are unable to do so. After a short moment of silence, Asuka manages to speak a few words...
 
Asuka weakly protests the ideas that Misato's just promoted. “Uh... it's not what it seems...”
 
Misato begins yelling. “Then what was it? You two are too young to be doing that type of thing! I'm really disappointed in both of you.” She folds her hands. “Tell me!”
 
Shinji makes a weak reply. “Uh... we were just talking and uh... we kissed... and...”
 
Misato gets into Shinji's face. “AND?”
 
Asuka replies in a near whisper. “That... was... it. Nothing else happened...”
 
“Really?” Misato grabs Shinji and gets him into a headlock. “I just have one more thing to say to you, young man... then I'm going to talk to you, Asuka...”
 
 
Asuka just stands there, watching in horror as Misato continues to vent her frustrations on her poor Shinji. Pen-Pen steps out of the refrigerator and looks up to see Shinji in a headlock...
 
 
“I wanted to tell you, Shinji, that I am...“
 
Shinji gets embarrassed, because his head is being pressed against Misato's chest.
 
To see this scene, look at picture 15 on page 2 of my website to see what I mean.
 
“JUST KIDDING!”
 
Misato bursts into laughter. Asuka slams her fist on the table while Shinji takes this opportunity to get out of Misato's grasp and just stares at his guardian.
 
 
Asuka is fuming mad. “You mean you KNEW that we just kissed and didn't do anything else! Of all of the...”
 
Shinji's eyebrows go up as Asuka lets loose a string of German swear words, along with some English and Japanese ones.
 
“You... knew?” Shinji sighs. “Misato... that was a rotten trick to play on us.”
 
Misato is lightheaded from all of the laughing and tries to stop… but is unable to. “Sorry you guys... but it was too hard to resist this opportunity! I saw you two sleeping there, and I couldn't help myself.” She pauses to take a deep breath and regains her composure. “I'm sorry.”
 
“You should be! And people call me mean.” Asuka replies angrily as she folds her arms. “We'll have to get you back for this. Right, Shinji?”
 
“I guess... yes, we will.”
 
“Ooohh... I better watch you two. Seriously, though, its nice to see you two being more than just friends. You two make a nice couple...” Misato says playfully.
 
 
Her words make Asuka stop talking for a moment, she responds a second later with a carefully thought out statement...
 
 
“Misato... can you... keep it down about Shinji and me for a while... at least until we're both used to this new relationship?” Asuka says in a lower tone of voice.
 
Misato nods her head understandingly. “Of course. I'll keep this to myself. Now, you two get ready to go. The sync test is at 10 AM. Rei will meet us there.”
 
“Why are we trying to reactivate my EVA and rebuild Unit 02? Do they think that there will be more Angels? Or is my father up to something?” Shinji asks, curious about what's going on.
 
“Actually Shinji, I don't know. If I find out anything, I will tell you and Asuka. You two have a right to know. Now, let's get moving here! The test will be in little more than an hour...”
 
 
Misato puts the groceries away and then watches some TV as the pilots get ready to go. Asuka showers and changes first, and then Shinji goes and cleans up and changes. Misato, Asuka, and Shinji head over to NERV headquarters after everyone's ready...they go to the test facility and get prepped to take the test. In the women's locker room, Asuka is changing into her plug suit. Rei is changing as well...
 
 
“Remember to open your mind to the EVA, otherwise, it will not sync with you.” Rei says as a reminder to Asuka.
 
Asuka replies in a near yell. “I know that! You told me that before!” She tries to calm down and returns to her normal tone of voice. “I was able to sync quite well with my EVA in that last battle, so I think I can do it with Shinji's...”
 
“Do you know why Commander Ikari has decided to try and reactivate unit 01?”
 
Asuka is surprised by her statement. “I... don't know. I was going to ask you the same thing.”
 
”He has not opened up to me too much. The lingering thought of my rejection of him just prior to Third Impact might be affecting his feelings towards me. I have been unable to find out what his intentions are...”
 
“Let's just get this test over with, and go from there...” Asuka says as she pushes button on suit to make it conform to her body.
 
Rei activates her own suit. “Agreed.”
 
 
The two female pilots go the test room, where the newly promoted Lt. Commander Ibuki, head of scientific operations since Dr. Akagi's "disappearance", is waiting. Shinji is already there in his plug suit, along with Misato.
 
 
“Are you three ready for the test?” Mays asks. All three pilots nod their heads in response. “Good. Who's going to go first?”
 
Asuka deliberates the idea of going first in her head. `Might as well get this over with...'
 
“I will!” Asuka says, stepping forward.
 
“Great! I'll prep the system and we can get started! Head over to the test plug and get in. I'll tell you when it is time to begin.” Maya says with a smile.
 
 
Asuka walks out of the room and enters the test plug. She enters and sits there nervously, waiting for the signal from Maya...
 
 
To see how Asuka looks/feels at this point, go to picture 42 on page 6 of my website.
 
 
`This feels weird... I did so well with my EVA... can I do the same with someone's EVA? Or is this another disaster waiting to happen?' Asuka puts her hands over her face as bad memories start to flood her mind...memories that she had put out of her head after Third Impact...
 
 
A few moments later, Maya announces the start of the test, and a screen opens up in the test plug. Maya is able to see Asuka there, with her hands over her face. Shinji looks over Maya's shoulder and sees the screen as well.
 
Shinji realizing what is going through her mind and calls out to Asuka. “Asuka... put the memories out of your mind... focus on...”
 
Asuka begins yelling from inside the plug. “I'm trying, damn it. I'm trying...” After some mental struggling, she finally gets the thoughts out her mind, at least for the time being. “I'm... I'm... ok. Go ahead and start, I'll try to focus and have the best sync rate out of all three pilots!”
 
Shinji and Misato sigh out loud. "Same old Asuka", Misato says quietly. Maya pushes a few buttons, and the test begins. Maya, Misato, Rei and Shinji watch the sync graph as the test begins...
 
 
Lights and charts flash on the computer screen in front of the trio as the sync test goes on. In the plug, Asuka opens her mind up... and can almost swear that a soft voice is talking to her, saying, "Take care of my son"...
 
 
A few minutes later, the test is finished. Asuka hits a button and talks to control room...
 
“Soooo... what was my sync rate? It was good, right?”
 
Maya looks down at the screen and is slightly shocked at the sync rate that computer indicates.
 
 
`It's amazing that she can be at this level... she was barely able to sync before... and then that whole battle thing a couple days ago... this is still confusing me...' Maya thinks as she contemplates the events of the last few days.
 
Misato, Shinji, and Rei look over and see the sync rate value on the computer. Rei has no visible reaction, Misato is a little surprised. Shinji smiles slightly, thinking to himself... `She did it... Asuka did it'.
 
Maya begins talking to Asuka. “Very good, Asuka. You had a sync rate of 70%, that's remarkable for someone who has never been in another EVA before. Your first time in Unit 01 and you got this level of sync... good job.”
 
`I knew I could do it... and Shinji helped a little, too. Even Wondergirl... I mean Rei's advice about opening my mind helped...' Asuka thinks as she smiles. She then replies to Maya. “Thanks... but you guys were expecting this type of score, right? I have been a pilot for half of my life, so I should have good scores, ne?”
 
Maya nods her head. “Of course... now get out, and let the next pilot take the test.” She turns to face Shinji and Rei. “Who's next? How about you, Shinji?”
 
“All right. Let me know when you're ready to start.” Shinji says quietly. He walks out of the room and heads over to the test plug. Enroute to the plug, he runs into Asuka, who is heading back to the control room...
 
Shinji blushes slightly. “Uh... good job, Asuka...”
 
“Thanks.” Asuka grabs Shinji. “I have one more thing for you...” She gives Shinji a kiss on his cheek. “That was for your help earlier…”
 
Shinji blushes. “Asuka...”
 
“Talk to me later, ok? You better get over to the plug, otherwise, they'll get suspicious. Now go, dummkopf, before you get us both in trouble...”
 
Asuka lets go of Shinji and continues to walk over to the control room.
 
Shinji continues down the hallway and goes into the test plug. He enters and waits for the start signal... when the test begins, he opens his mind up to the EVA as well... he can almost hear his mother's voice as the test goes on... it seems to be whispering "Keep yourself open, my son. Don't retreat into your shell... you have a young woman who really needs you now…"
 
 
Soon, the test is over and Shinji returns to the control room, slightly confused about what just happened in the plug. Back in the control room, Shinji's sync rate flashes on the computer screen...
 
 
Maya is genuinely astonished. “Wow... that's great- 78%”
 
Asuka points at Shinji. “Very good, third-child. I am almost at that level on my first try, you better watch out! Asuka is coming!”
 
Shinji starts to sweat. “Uhh... yeah.”
 
 
The testing continues... Rei, who had already headed over to the plug, signals that she is ready for the test. The test proceeds as the last two did. Rei doesn't know what to expect as the test goes on, she was rejected the last time she was in Unit 01. A voice whispers to her as the test goes on... it says... "Tell my son what you truly are. Be your own person" At the end of the test, Rei asks Maya how her test went...
 
“Very good, Rei. You had the same sync rate as Shinji, 78%.”
 
“Wow... that's pretty good, Rei.” A nodding Shinji says as he tries to encourage Rei.
 
“I expected that the sync rates would be similar, Ikari... I am as you are.”
 
The video screen closes and Shinji is very confused. `Huh? What'd she mean by that?'
 
 
Asuka begins to get a little a jealous. `He didn't do that when my test was done... control, Asuka, control. There is nothing between them... I know that now... it seems like he still has a bond to her, though. What could it be?'
 
 
Shinji notices Asuka in deep thought and touches her shoulder. “What's wrong, Asuka?”
 
Asuka replies softly. “Nothing. Nothing at all...”
 
“You jealous Asuka?” Misato says playfully.
 
“Oh, shut up!” A frustrated Asuka replies back.
 
“We'll that's all I need for today. You two can go clean up and get out of here. Misato will have to stay here and give me a hand here.” Maya says as she stretches out.
 
“Great! I want to get out of here! What a way to spend a Saturday! We only have another day of freedom before class starts again...” A very happy and energetic Asuka says, realizing that the old school routine will soon be back.
 
“She's right...” Shinji says with a nod.
 
“Of course I am!” Asuka says as she grabs Shinji's arm. “Let's get out of here!”
 
 
Maya and Misato watch as Asuka drags Shinji out of the room. Misato chuckles a little and then looks at Maya, who has a serious look on her face.
 
“Those two, what a pair. I wonder what Rei meant?” The concerned technician says to Misato.
 
“I don't know... but I have a few ideas.” After taking a deep breath, Misato continues. “I'm going back up to the command center. I'll tell them that the sync tests are done.”
 
“Thanks. I've got a lot of work ahead of me here, writing up programs that will enable all three pilots to use Unit 01. I wish Ritsuko were here...” Maya sighs aloud. “Do you know what happened to her? I know she left the command center just before the JSSDF attacked us... and no one knows what happened to her. Even Commander Ikari didn't know...”
 
“I was wondering about that as well... but, knowing Commander Ikari... well... I'll see what I can find out. Unfortunately, people can disappear here... they never did find Kaji's body...”
 
“Let me know what you find, ok?” Maya says as she begins working on the computer.
 
”I will...”
 
Misato walks out of the room and heads up to the command center while the three pilots shower up and head back to their respective residences. Shinji is deep in thought on the way back to the apartment... `What did she mean by those words- I am as you are?'
 
Asuka is also thinking to herself... `What is the connection between those two? Gotta figure this one out, Asuka.'
 
 
In a distant part of north central Canada, a select group of scientists carefully converge on a secret underground base, totally unknown to all but a few souls...
 
To be continued in Chapter 9: Retreat and Restart
 
Next redone chapter will be up soon, hope you like them so far!