Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 9: Retreat and Restart ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Retreat and Restart
 
Thanks for the reviews and comments! The secret base location that I describe below is a real place in Canada; you can find where I'm talking about on a map of the NW Territories/Nunavut.
 
I don't own the song or lyrics to "Lean On Me" by Bill Withers- used at the end of this chapter. Copyright 1972 by the Sony Music Entertainment, Inc.
 
 
Make sure and check out my brand new NGE chapter 35, available on fan-fics-r-us or mediaminer… and also my pics on my myspace account of me with the voice actress Tiffany Grant.
 
 
Thanks to Daniel for the preread on this chapter.
 
Saturday November 7th, 2015 C.E. The third day after Third Impact. Early afternoon...
 
 
In a distant part of north-central Canada, 500 km/311 miles N/NE of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories- a select group of scientists carefully converge on a secret underground base, totally unknown to all but a few souls...
 
The ultra-secret 7th Branch of NERV. Built for the very remote possibility that something would go wrong with the instigation of Third Impact. It was never really meant to be used at all... that is, until now. The SEELE council has decided to activate this base, and draw key personnel to it...
 
Located underground on the shores of Contwoyto Lake, on the NW Territories/ Nunavut boundary, this base was placed to take advantage of the Lac De Gras diamond mines, timber harvesting, and other local mining enterprises. Supplies were routinely delivered to these places, thus outsiders would not notice a slight increase of goods flowing in. The entire area is secretly owned by SEELE, under dummy corporations. These corporations were put into place to supplement the organization's income and to be a means of recovery in case Third Impact failed. Major revenue and needed supplies are all generated from these "Legitimate Businesses"...
 
Inside this hidden, underground base, in a large room full of the greatest minds on earth, a holographic Keel Lorenz addresses the gathered group...
 
 
“The time has come to punish those who would stand in our way! Gendo Ikari has messed with us for the last time. Although there is no conclusive evidence of it, I believe that he was in someway tied into stopping the Third Impact attempt... the world is as it was, but for a few peculiar things that happened to us. That is why I suspect Ikari. You have been gathered to this base to assist bringing another try at a new genesis for mankind... or failing that, at least a world under our control. This base was built so that NERV would be complete...there were 6 NERV bases, 6 being a number of incompleteness in the scrolls... thus, this base was constructed, to make the number of bases 7, representing completeness. You are here to assist the rebuilding of our army, which was shamelessly destroyed. That is our first goal... when that is at a satisfactory level; we shall proceed to the next phase...”
 
 
Author note: The scriptural reference for the numbers 6 and 7 taken from the book of Revelation: numerous references to both the number six and seven...and what they represent.
 
 
Chairman Keel's voice continues to boom out to the crowd, who listen very carefully. SEELE did allow them to escape and avoid any legal prosecution from their respective countries... after a period of time, Keel ends his lecture and the scientists disperse and quickly get to work in various labs...
 
 
 
On the other side of the Pacific, Kaji gets his new computer and starts to hack into the computers at NERV's Toyko-3 location, also delving into the MAGI systems. In room 215 in Kyoto, Kaji is staring at a computer screen and trying to make sense of the information in front of him.
 
“Hmm... interesting. Gendo Ikari sent out the revised documents to the president.. but why? He would be the last person on earth that I would expect to do this... unless... this is an attempt to get back at SEELE. This could become dangerous... even with one EVA still active, it has almost unstoppable power.” Kaji scratches his head and thinks about what this could mean.
 
“This could get ugly if there was a world war with EVA's... but, according to this, EVA units 05-13 were destroyed. SEELE has nothing, at least for the moment. There must be more information...”
 
The computer screen flashes the words "Access Forbidden". “Damn it! Looks like the firewalls are back up and the passwords and access codes have been changed, too. I better take a break and try and figure out what to do next...”
 
Kaji leans back on the chair and wonders about something… something very important to his heart. `I wonder what Misato is doing now...' He looks at a framed picture that is sitting on his desk... it's about ten years old but represents a much happier time in his life. He hopes that he will get the chance to see Misato and tell her how he really feels about her.
 
 
Elsewhere in Japan, Kaji's work hasn't gone unnoticed to everyone... someone else in Japan has seen that certain files have been accessed... and she wonders who it could be... and why...
 
Back in Northern Japan at Ristuko's Grandmother's House, a computer screen flashes with information...
 
 
“Hmmm... looks like someone was trying to break into the MAGI system. They got into the other computer systems quite easily... “ Ritsuko types in a few commands and begins reading the new data on the screen. “Let's see what they were trying to access...”
 
 
Results of the search pop up on the screen a moment later.
 
Files accessed: SEELE Revelation Document 1...
 
“That's the document that was sent out to the president and the other world leaders. They also accessed current EVA status and status of the other EVA units that were recovered. Whoever this is, they're quite skilled... but not as skilled as me! I'll just track down this hacker...” Ritsuko's fingers begin to rapidly punch in commands into the computer. “Damn. Whoever this is, they masked their trail well... but I'll find out where this hacker is and what they're up to...”
 
 
The former lead scientist furiously types away at the computer...feeling good inside...she has another challenge to overcome. Challenge is what she thrives on...
 
 
The afternoon soon progresses into early evening. Over at NERV headquarters Misato finishes her shift and heads back to her apartment. Rei is on her way back to her apartment as well. She thinks about the day's events...
 
 
`How can I explain this to Ikari... this could be awkward for him to hear... yet, I feel strangely compelled to tell him the truth. That voice... my mother? Perhaps in a certain sense, there is much to consider...'
 
Rei arrives at her apartment and notices a note on the door... she grabs it and reads the writing contained therein...
 
 
Vacancy Notice:
 
This notice is to inform you that this apartment complex and the surrounding ones are to be demolished in two weeks. The city government has decided to put a power substation and construction site in this area. The construction site will be a storage area for materials that will be used to rebuild the city. You have two weeks to get your belongings out and vacate the premises.
 
Signed- Tokyo City Council
 
 
Rei goes inside her apartment, and sits down on the bed. The words in the note echo in her mind... she thinks to herself... `Something new to think about... where will I go? I cannot stay with the Commander... maybe there are apartments by Major Katsuragi...'
 
After a soft sigh, Rei sits on her bed and is soon deeply focused on her current situation. She thinks about many things and experiences new emotions that she has never felt before. For the first time in a while, she is truly worried about her life situation...
 
As Rei contemplates her next move, Shinji and Asuka arrive back at their apartment, exhausted from an afternoon of shopping...
 
 
 
(Flashback to earlier in the afternoon)
 
Shinji and Asuka finish showering and changing after the sync test... afterwards, Asuka decides that it's a good time to go clothes shopping and drags a reluctant Shinji behind her...
 
 
She goes to a few stores, to check out some heavier clothes... the weather has been getting cooler... the earth's climate is slowly returning to normal state. Asuka finds nothing that fits her tastes... so the shopping continues. A bit later, inside a department store, she tries to find the perfect sweater...
 
 
Asuka shows Shinji a thin, red sweater. “What do you think of this one? I think it looks nice... and it's red! My favorite color!” She says excitedly, finally finding something that suits her.
 
 
Shinji's response is one that cannot help but give away his thoughts about his situation- he's trying to end the shopping spree as quickly as possible. “It looks fine, Asuka...”
 
The second child's eyes narrow as she sees right through his comment. “You're just saying that to get out of here! You aren't enjoying my company?”
 
Shinji quickly shakes his head. “Uh... Asuka... it's nice to be with you... don't get me wrong here...”
 
“All right, I believe you. “ Asuka points a finger at Shinji. “You should appreciate your good fortune... a lot of people would kill to be in your place right now...”
 
 
Shinji tries to make a good response to that comment... a moment later, the perfect one pops into his head...
 
“Yeah, I guess. But how many of them had to beg like I did in Instrumentality and go through the end of the world to finally get to you, Asuka? I guess that's true devotion...” He says, with some slight agitation to his words.
 
 
Asuka is momentarily stunned by Shinji's response… and she cannot help but blush. “Y... yeah. I guess no one can say that...” After pausing to flash Shinji a smile, Asuka takes another good look at the sweater in her hands. “I'm going to buy this sweater... and then we'll go home, ok?”
 
 
“Sounds good to me.” Shinji says while he begins to think to himself. `Yes! I finally can get out here! I swear I'm getting better at this romance thing... and being honest with myself and my feelings, especially for her...'
 
 
Asuka is also silently thinking about Shinji as she heads up to cashier to buy the sweater. `He really is special... in his own way. No one ever went through so much, just to be with me...'
 
 
Asuka quickly pays for the sweater and soon the duo is back at the apartment, where Misato is waiting...
 
(End flashback)
 
 
“What took you guys so long? Romantic walk in the park?” Misato says, not being able to resist the opportunity to tease her “kids”…
 
“Not exactly...” A tired Shinji says in return.
 
Asuka excitedly opens up her bag and shows Misato the red sweater. “Look what I just bought!”
 
 
After peering inside the bag, Misato nods her head. “Looks sharp Asuka. Somehow, I knew it would be red...”
 
“Soooo... what's for dinner? It's your turn to cook, Misato.” Shinji says, giving a tease for a tease back to Misato.
 
Asuka joins the fray a moment later. “Yeah... what are going to eat? Don't tell me it's instant noodles again...”
 
Misato begins sweating and tries to think of a way out of this situation. One quickly comes to mind. “Dinner? Ummm... we're going to order something tonight... what did you guys want?”
 
`Luckily, I got some spare cash on me...' A grinning Misato thinks as the two teens consider her idea.
 
 
 
“Hmm… how about Chinese food? I want some chop suey and crab rangoon! Egg rolls would be nice, too...” Asuka says as she thinks about the food in question.
 
“Is that ok with you, Shinji?” Misato says before a glance is shot Shinji's way … she wants to know if he wants the same thing as Asuka.
 
 
After looking at Asuka and flashing her a smile, Shinji nods his head. “Yeah... Chinese food sounds good.”
 
 
A relieved Misato claps her hands together. “Great! Let me know what you guys want and I'll place the order...”
 
 
 
 
Misato calls and places an order for Chinese food from a local restaurant that survived the explosions. Thirty minutes later Misato, Asuka, Shinji, and Pen-Pen are sitting at the table, eating their dinner. Asuka at first has reservations about the penguin eating at the table... but Misato just shrugs it off... "He's part of our family here, so he has a right to eat at the table, just like you do...”
 
 
 
The usual small talk finds its way around the table, but soon makes way for more serious topics...
 
“I wonder what Rei meant earlier today?” Shinji wonders aloud.
 
Asuka, who's more focused on eating, just shrugs her shoulders. ”Who knows...”
 
 
“Shinji, I think I know what she meant. I'll have to do some research, just to make sure. I don't want to give you any wrong ideas...” Misato says, answering Shinji's query. `Looks like I have a little work to do tonight on the computer... gotta find out the whole truth on Rei... there must be more than what Ritsuko showed me... and what happened to Ritsuko? So many mysteries to uncover...'
 
 
 
Shinji has a perplexed look on his face for a moment, and then returns to his meal.
 
“Anyways…” A new subject is brought to the fore by Misato. “Asuka... about today's test... you did all right, but...”
 
Asuka immediately starts to get defensive. “I already know what you're going to say... you're worried about my mental state, right?”
 
A concerned Misato nods her head. “Yes, I am. We need pilots that are decently stable for the EVA's... you seem a lot better lately, but I think you're still bothered by the after affects of the 15th Angel's attacks...”
 
The anger begins welling up inside Asuka and soon she explodes… this subject is a real sensitive one for her. “Who wouldn't be? That damn thing defiled my mind...”
 
Asuka's voice gets louder as she continues. “It made me remember things that I didn't want to remember... and then... being ripped apart by those other EVA's... it's just been sooooo much fun for me the past few weeks.”
 
Shinji looks over at Asuka and knows that she's only just begun to vent her frustrations…
 
“Look, if NERV has problems with having me as a pilot, let them get a replacement, like they did a few days ago... just make sure that it's not an Angel this time...”
 
Asuka slams her plate down on the table. “I'm done eating. I want to... be alone for the rest of the night...”
 
 
Shinji and Misato watch as Asuka gets up, runs over to her room, and slams the door. Silence fills the air… broken only by the sound of Pen-Pen hopping down off of his chair. The penguin shakes his head and then heads back to his refrigerator, having finished his meal as well...
 
 
 
“Asuka...” Shinji says softly to himself.
 
“She'll be all right... let her cool down for a little while...” Misato says in a reassuring tone.
 
“Misato, why did you have to bring that up?” An agitated Shinji says, wondering what her reason was for talking about that with Asuka.
 
“I was just worried about her... and not only as her commanding officer. I'm worried as her guardian and friend. I don't want anything to happen to either of you... you two and Pen-Pen are my family. You're... all that I have now...” Several tears run down her cheeks as she speaks… she cannot help but let her emotions flow.
 
 
A pang of sorrow hits Shinji as he observes Misato's reaction... he is unable to speak or eat for several seconds... until he gets the courage to do something...
 
Shinji stands up and walks over to Misato. “Misato... I... I'm sorry.” He puts his hand on her shoulder and tries to comfort her.
 
 
 
“Don't worry about it. Everything will be okay... everything will be fine...” A sniffling Misato says back as she stands up and hugs Shinji.
 
Shinji slowly puts his arms around Misato. Shinji thinks to himself... `This feeling... it feels like... like something I felt with Mother a long time ago...'
 
 
 
A short time of silence passes, and then Misato lets go of Shinji...
 
“Please don't get me wrong, Shinji. I am worried about you and Asuka... you know that I'm just playing around when I tease you two. It's just what families do... when they love one another...”
 
“I know... it's just... I haven't been in a real family situation for so long...”
 
“I understand what you mean… but I hope you can get used to it now... not only for me, but also for Asuka... and most importantly, for you. She hasn't been a good family situation for a long time, either. I haven't either... I guess we're all messed up...”
 
“I'll try... but what about Asuka? Should I go talk to her?” A curious Shinji asks, not exactly sure about what to do next.
 
Misato smiles and nods her head. “Yeah… try and cheer her up. We all have been through some bad stuff lately... I'll apologize to her later. I think she needs someone to talk to... and since you two are so close now... I think you can do the best job of that. Show her that you care... show her that you love her...”
 
 
Shinji feels Misato pushing him towards Asuka's room and then hears her speak some words of “encouragement” into his ear.
 
“Go for it, tiger!”
 
 
Misato goes back to the kitchen and cleans up the dinner table. After doing that, she begins to work on the dishes, all the while thinking to herself... `It's Shinji's job to do the dishes today... but I'll let him help Asuka... that would be more helpful.'
 
 
 
Shinji gently knocks on Asuka's door and waits for a response... but none is forthcoming. About ten seconds later, he knocks again... and is greeted with silence. Very slowly, he opens the door, and sees Asuka sleeping on her bed. Uncertain of what to do next, he pauses... and then finally makes a choice... to help the woman he cares for... by stepping inside the room and closing the door...
 
 
After a moment, Shinji walks over to the bed, and sits down next to Asuka. Looking at her face and the pillow she is sleeping on, he notices that she has been crying. Shinji gently strokes her hair... awakening the sleeping beauty...
 
Asuka opens her eyes and sees Shinji sitting on the bed next to her. “What do you want?”
 
The third child is momentarily taken aback by her tone of voice. “Uh... I just wanted to talk to you for a little bit, and try and cheer you up...”
 
“I'm fine... now leave me alone... please...” Asuka says as she turns over on the bed to lie on her stomach.
 
“I know what your thinking, we have each other's memories, remember? Misato was just concerned about you... we're her family now...”
 
“I know that, my baka Shinji... I'm just worried that I'm losing it again... I can't hold back the memories...” Asuka says softly as she tries to force memories of the past out of her mind.
 
“It's ok... I have things I don't want to remember, either. You told me to let go of the past, remember?” Shinji says, remembering some of his past conversations with Asuka.
 
 
A soft sigh is heard before Asuka makes her response. “Yeah... I guess. But that's not all that's bothering me... I could have sworn I heard someone talking to me when I was in the EVA. I know we're supposed to open our minds to the EVA, but I never heard you mention Unit 01 talking to the pilot inside of it... has it talked to you before?”
 
Shinji ponders the question for a few moments before responding. “A few times... like when we took that test today... I heard my mother's voice again... it said: `Keep yourself open, my son. Don't retreat into your shell...you have a young woman who really needs you now.'”
 
 
The red head begins to cheer a little upon hearing that. “Really? So I wasn't hearing things... I'm not crazy.”
 
“What did she say to you?”
 
“She said: `Take care of my son'... and I will...”
 
Asuka gets up and puts her arms around Shinji, causing him to feel nervous and blush.
 
“Uh... Asuka... if you're feeling down about something, just talk to me. I'll listen and be there for you... like I hope you would be for me... I get down on life, too...”
 
 
The second child begins to whisper in Shinji's ear. “Of course I'll be there... even if you are a baka sometimes... and indecisive…”
 
“I guess, I can be a baka sometimes... but you can be a bitch...” Shinji says playfully.
 
 
Asuka gets a little miffed by his comment and puts Shinji in a headlock. “What?! Take that back! Otherwise, you're not getting out of this headlock!”
 
 
Shinji struggles to get out of Asuka's grasp... he puts his right hand on her right hip and moves it up the side of her body...
 
Asuka: “You're not getting out of this one... hey! Move that hand down, you pervert!”
 
Shinji stops just short of her breast and then takes advantage of her outburst to free himself of the headlock. After doing so, he looks at Asuka and begins to chuckle...
 
“Sorry, Asuka, but I can't take back what I said... you told me to be true to my feelings...”
 
 
 
Asuka gets up and gets right in Shinji's face, scaring him. Preparing for a verbal onslaught, Shinji closes his eyes and waits for her words. He gets an unexpected surprise... Asuka's warm lips press against his. Shinji is totally surprised for a moment... then he then returns her kiss and just stares at her...
 
“I suppose that I can be a bitch sometimes... but remember, we have to take the `total package' from each other... that means I have to deal with your personality and vice versa. Otherwise, we're not really being ourselves...”
 
After being surprised by her openness in this matter, Shinji shrugs his shoulders. “I guess you're right. I hope I'm better than that fake Shinji you had as a boyfriend during Instrumentality...”
 
“I'll take you and your real feelings for me any day over that fake reality. I think you're more fun anyway. Shinji, I'm glad that you brought back the world to the way it was, despite all of the things that have been going on lately...” An enthusiastic Asuka says, trying to encourage Shinji to keep this openness going.
 
“Uh... thanks...” He looks over her shoulder and notices the sun starting to go down. “Asuka... did you want to... watch the sunset with me?”
 
 
Asuka is pleasantly surprised by this sudden romantic idea and cannot help but smile. “Now where did you come up with that little romantic idea?”
 
“Misato gave me that idea earlier today during the sync tests, she said to try it sometime...”
 
“Shinji, I would love to do that...”
 
 
 
 
Misato, who has been secretly listening to the couple's conversation ever since Shinji closed the door, quietly steps away from the door. She thinks to herself... `What are they talking about? Instrumentality? Shinji bringing back the world? I don't remember anything between when Shinji went down that elevator and when I woke up in the infirmary. I gotta find out what the hell they're talking about...'
 
Silently, Misato returns to the kitchen and finishes up the dishes. A moment later, Shinji and Asuka exit the bedroom and head for the front door...
 
“Asuka!”
 
Shinji and Asuka turn around after hearing Misato's exclamation. “Before you guys head out, I just wanted to apologize for what I said at dinner...”
 
Asuka shrugs it off. “Don't worry about it... I shouldn't have exploded at you like that. My little Shin-chan here has me feeling much better about myself...”
 
Shinji gives Misato a "thumbs up"… he gets a wink in return.
 
“He did? That's so nice of you to cheer her up, Shin-Chan...” Misato says sweetly. Her remarks embarrass Shinji... whose face turns a bright red color...
 
 
“We'll umm… be back later; we're going to watch the sunset...” The third child stammers as he diverts his attention to Asuka, whois slowly moving towards the front door.
 
“Have fun!” The Major says as Asuka and Shinji walk out of the apartment.
 
`Well... now that they're gone... I guess I have a little quiet time to research...'
 
 
 
 
Misato heads to her room and gets on the computer, punching up all data on the First Child and her origins, and any data on the whereabouts of Dr. Akagi...
 
 
 
Over on a nearby hill of grass overlooking one of the many lakes formed by exploding Angels, Shinji and Asuka sit next to each other and watch the sun slowly descend on the horizon...
 
 
To see a picture of this scene, go to picture 28 on the 4th picture page of my website...
 
 
Asuka gazes at the sun and comments at the sight. “It looks so beautiful... it's been a long time since I watched the sun set like this...”
 
“Me too... but I'm glad... that I have someone to share it with...” Shinji says as he puts his arm around Asuka.
 
Asuka responds the same way and puts an arm around Shinji. “Yeah... it sucks to be alone... I hate to be alone...”
 
 
Feeling a little bit tired, Asuka begins to shift her position and lies down on the grass. Shinji follows her lead and decides to voice what's on his mind.
 
 
“I do too... but as long as we have each other, we're never alone...”
 
“You're getting much better at being romantic, Shinji... and I like it.”
 
A moment later, Asuka shifts her body over and moves her head so that it's resting on his chest. Shinji slowly moves his hand and Asuka can soon feel his hand gently caressing her hair.
 
“I like it when you're romantic too... it makes me feel warm inside. Asuka... I… umm… brought something with for us to listen to. I found this song when I was at the library looking through the music section a few weeks ago... its pre-second impact and in English, but I think you'll like it...”
 
 
A curious Asuka watches as he pulls his SDAT out of his pocket and plugs in the two mini speakers. “I figured it would be perfect after what happened today...”
 
“Well, go ahead, play it for me. It better be good...” Asuka says with a smirk as she folds her hands and puts them on her stomach.
 
`Here goes nothing...' Is the thought passing through Shinji's mind as he presses play on the SDAT and sets it on the ground next to him.
 
 
 
 
The music starts to play out of the speakers; both pilots relax and listen to the song...
 
"Sometimes in our lives...we all have pain... we all have sorrows...but if we are wise... we know that there's... always tomorrow..."
 
Asuka gently grabs Shinji's hand and starts to hold it, as the music continues...
 
"Lean on me...when you're not strong... and I'll be your friend... I'll help you carry on... for it won't be long... until I'm going to need... someone to lean on..."
 
"Please... swallow your pride... if I have failed... you need to borrow... for no one can fill those of your needs... that you won't let show..."
 
“Asuka...”
 
“Hush, Shin-chan... I wanna hear the rest of the song...” Asuka says, gently chiding Shinji for interrupting the moment.
 
 
"You just call on your brother... when you need a hand...we all need somebody to lean on... I might just have a problem... that you'll understand... we all need somebody to lean on..."
 
"Lean on me... when you're not strong... and I'll be your friend... I'll help you carry on... for it won't be long... until I'm going to need... someone to lean on..."
 
"You just call on your brother... when you need a hand... we all need somebody to lean on... I might just have a problem... that you'll understand... we all need somebody to lean on..."
 
"If there is a load... that you have to bear... that you can't carry... I'm right up the road... I'll share your load... if you just call me..."
 
"Call me... if you need a friend...call me in a hurry... (Call me)... if you need a friend... (Call me)... if you ever need a friend... call me... call me..."
 
The music comes to a close...
 
“You must be the luckiest man on earth, to have picked a song like this at random from the library...”
 
Shinji plays that comment off. “I guess so... but Kaji said one time that luck was part of my destiny… remember? When we first met on the UN Navy ship?”
 
“Yeah... I didn't think much of you then... but times change... and people change...” Is the passive reply from Asuka.
 
“Asuka... I... I think I am the luckiest man on earth... because...” A stammering Shinji says in return, trying to convey his emotions about the woman next to him.
 
“Because what?” Asuka says sweetly.
 
 
 
Shinji takes a deep breath and begins to sweat a little. “Because... I met you... and got to be with you... and got a chance to know the real Asuka Langley Soryu.”
 
 
Asuka moves her head off of Shinji and gets on all fours, and crawls over Shinji, stopping right above him.
 
“AND?”
 
Shinji tries his hardest not to stare at Asuka's chest as he gives her an answer. “For the first time, I found someone to love... and someone who loved me in return... you, Asuka. The prettiest woman in Toyko-3...”
 
 
 
Asuka blushes and slowly lowers herself down on top of him, resting her head next to his. Shinji feels many things at this point, her warm breath, her warm body... and her heart beating as they hold each other in silence. Asuka feels the same things from Shinji and just looks at him... both of them getting lost in each others eyes...
 
A short time later, Asuka giggles a little and then starts talking softly to Shinji.
 
 
“Just because I'm on top of you, don't get any hentai thoughts, Shin-chan. Don't try anything funny... just hold me.”
 
The red head hums a few notes and speaks a few words of the song she just heard as Shinji holds her. “I need someone to lean on...”
 
 
As Shinji holds Asuka, she begins thinking to herself. `I need someone who actually cares for me and loves the real me. Someone to be there for me, always... and that's MY Shin-chan...'
 
 
The silence is broken about a minute later by Shinji, who cannot help blushing because of the current situation. “I'll always be here for you, Asuka.”
 
 
 
He looks into his heart and realizes something… `I wanted someone who'd be there for me... never abandon me... now I truly realize that she is the one...'
 
 
 
The sun finally dips below the horizon, bringing on the beginning of evening... the pilots continue to hold and look at each other... oblivious to the passage of time. Twilight finally sees them get up and head back to the apartment, not caring if Misato will tease them or if she will question them to death...
 
Both pilots are surprised to find Misato locked away in her room as they enter, so they quietly head off to their respective beds after a quick kiss good night. They dream of tomorrow and their own futures... together. Shinji can't believe his luck... and Asuka can't believe how sensitive and romantic Shinji can be, if he tries...
 
 
Misato works on the computer until midnight, and falls asleep in the computer chair... just after uncovering the whole truth on Rei Ayanami from the computer systems... and the total absence of information on the whereabouts of Ritsuko...
 
 
A new day dawns in Tokyo-3, a day that will see many changes occur. To be continued in Chapter 10: Toyko-3 Renaissance (Rebirth)
 
Moving along here with the redos though chapter 13 is the one that most of my prior readers are looking forward to seeing in a re-edited form. It'll be funnier then ever… Ja ne!
 
 
Don't forget to check out the new ch. 35, which many of you have been waiting for…