Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 12: Rei and the School Routine ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12: Rei and the School Routine
 
Thanks to Daniel and Luke for their help with the prereading of this chapter.
 
 
 
 
Wednesday, November 11th
 
 
The morning opens up as usual... Misato has a beer with her breakfast, while Shinji and Asuka have to be persuaded to get up for school. This day is will change the Katsuragi apartment forever...
 
 
At school, class 2-A is having an extended gym class outside, on the newly rebuilt track and field. Since there are so few students at this point in time, the class is co-ed. The students are doing various physical exercises, like push-ups, sit-ups, and running around the oval track. After a while, the gym teacher has the class take a break... the students sit down next the track, resting...
 
 
Shinji and Asuka are sitting next to each other, engaging in small talk. Rei is off on another part of the field doing some stretches. Toji and Kensuke see Shinji and Asuka as they sit down and begin to talk amongst themselves...
 
 
“This is nuts! We haven't had gym for a couple weeks, and then they slap us with all of this exercise! My legs feel like they want to fall off!” An exhausted Toji exclaims as he sits down.
 
“Yeah! I feel like they're trying to make up for all of the classes we missed!”
 
 
Kensuke's eyes are drawn forward as several attractive female classmates walk by. “Well... at least one thing is good about being back in gym class...” He says with a smirk on his face.
 
“What's that?” A clueless Toji says a moment later.
 
Kensuke nudges Toji and starts pointing around the field at various female students. “Over there, and there! Are you blind!? DAMN! What a body on that one... and that one to the right... nice ass... tight shirts and tight bottoms... that's why gym class is good!”
 
 
Toji looks at where Kensuke is pointing and nods his head. “Oh, yeah... I see what you mean... it's been a long time since we had a co-ed gym class... gotta love it!”
 
 
Hikari comes running up to Toji and Kensuke, who do not notice her at first because they are ogling other girls...
 
“Suzahara! What are you doing? I can understand Kensuke looking around like that...”
 
 
Kensuke gives Hikari a questioning look, then remains silent, to avoid her wrath.
 
The Fourth Child nervously meets her gaze and starts speaking. “I uh... well you see... um... I was looking... looking for you! Yeah, that's it...”
 
Hikari folds her arms and is very skeptical about that response from Toji… she knows him too well. “Oh, really?”
 
 
 
Toji mentally debates what to say back. `Should I tell that I would like to spend some time with her? Or make up something else? Gotta say something quick...'
 
After clearing his throat he gives Hikari the answer she's been waiting for. “Well, I... um... was going to ask if... if you wanted to go out to dinner with me sometime?”
 
 
Hikari's mind is totally derailed by his comment and she begins to blush. “Really?”
 
 
`I've been waiting for this for a long time…it doesn't matter to her if he just made that up or not... this is the chance that I've has been waiting for.'
 
She quickly thinks of a place for them to go on their first date...
 
 
“Um... sure...how about that ramen place downtown? Asuka told me it was really good...”
 
Kensuke interrupts. “Come on Toji, that's not what you were...”
 
A swift punch in the arm is Toji's response to that comment. “OWW!”
 
“Ignore him. How about Friday night?” Toji says, bringing the topic back again.
 
“Uh...sure. Let me just make sure that I have nothing else scheduled...” An excited Hikari says a moment later.
 
“I gotta do the same thing... um... get back to you on that tomorrow, ok?” A slightly nervous Toji says… not believing his luck.
 
Hikari smiles. “Sure. I'm going to go to the pool, I gotta get in shape for the swim team tryouts...”
 
Kensuke is happy for the change in subject. “Is it true that we have to sign up for two different sports? Please tell me no...”
 
The class rep nods her head affirmatively. “Yep. Make sure you sign up for tryouts at the end of gym class today. Talk to you guys later... “
 
 
Hikari runs off and heads for the pool inside of the new school building, leaving the two “stooges” to talk amongst themselves.
 
 
“I finally did it... we talked... and set something up! This will be so great!” Toji mumbles to himself.
 
“Hello! Earth to Toji!” Kensuke waves his hand in front of the spaced out jock.
 
Toji comes out of his trance. “What is it?”
 
“You're whipped! You and Hikari will be just like Shinji and Asuka...”
 
“Why you...” Toji punches Kensuke in the arm again. “We ain't whipped. Hikari is different than Asuka, and I ain't no Shinji...”
 
Kensuke rubs his injured arm and is feeling very aggravated at the moment. “Oww... watch it! Why don't you you go over to the pool and check out Hikari in her bathing suit...”
 
The Fourth Child gets ready to punch Kensuke again. “You don't know when to quit, do you?”
 
 
Before Kensuke can answer that question, Shinji and Asuka walk up to the duo... oblivious to what just happened there.
 
“Hey! I was wondering if you two could do us a favor...” Shinji says, inadvertently saving Kensuke.
 
“And you better do it, or else!” The energetic Second Child says as she waves a clenched fist at towards Kensuke and Toji.
 
“Yeah, yeah... what do want us to do?” An annoyed Kensuke replies back.
 
“Asuka and I are going to have a race around the track, so we need you to be here to see who makes three laps around the track first...”
 
“And you better be honest, baka!” Asuka says loudly.
 
“All right, we'll do it. Shinji, just watch out on the track...” Toji says, waiting for Shinji to ask a question back in return… which he does a moment later.
 
“Why?”
 
Toji glances over at Asuka. “Because you'll be `Runnin' With the Devil'” He says that last part with a chuckle and Kensuke starts to laugh as well.
 
Asuka, of course, doesn't take that comment very lightly. “Why you...” A brilliant idea suddenly comes into Asuka's mind. “I challenge both of you to a race after I'm done with Shinji... you got the balls to do that? Or are you just going to sit around on your butts and ogle all day?”
 
“You're on!”
 
“We'll race yah!”
 
With a smirk, Asuka rubs her hands together. “Good!”
 
`They have no idea what they're getting in to... they have no idea how fast I am…' Asuka thinks as she gets on the track next to Shinji and gets ready to run. Toji calls out the start of the race…
 
 
“On your marks... get set ...GO!”
 
Asuka and Shinji zoom off down the track as fast as they can, both of them want to win...
 
 
Kensuke turns and asks Toji a question. “Who do you think is going to win?”
 
“Don't know...”
 
 
After two laps around the track, Asuka is surprised to see Shinji keeping pace with her...
 
`Damn! I didn't know he could run that fast! I thought this would be easy! Gotta save energy for the final stretch...'
 
Shinji is impressed with how fast Asuka is running. `Wow... I didn't know she could run that fast! Gotta try and win...otherwise, she'll think I was holding back and tease me about it...'
 
 
The two runners come to the final stretch... and then both use up all of their energy in one final push...
 
 
Toji and Kensuke watch closely as both come running by, almost simultaneously... and then coming to a stop about twenty feet away...
 
 
“Who... who won?” Asuka asks, out of breath.
 
“Yeah, tell us...” Shinji says as he tries to catch his breath.
 
“It was... Asuka by a nose...” A disappointed Toji says with a sigh.
 
Kensuke shrugs his shoulders. “At least you tried, Shinji...”
 
An excited Asuka smiles and has a few words for Kensuke and Toji.
 
“Yes! I won! Once I rest up, then I'll be ready for you two stooges!” She turns around to look at Shinji. “Hey, Shinji...you were great...”
 
Shinji watches as Asuka starts to approach him slowly, smiles, and then saunters up to him. He cannot help but blush as she does this… she's out of breath from the running and he can't help but notice that way she looks when she is taking those deep breaths... his mind begins conjuring up certain thoughts... `She looks so good in that uniform... she certainly fills it out nicely…
'
 
To see this scene, go to picture 27 on the 4th picture page of my website...
 
 
Asuka wraps her arms around the nervous and blushing Shinji and talks to him softly. “Are you nervous?”
 
 
A nervous Shinji nods and watches as she slowly puts her arms around him.
 
“Don't be nervous... I want to reward your effort on the track...” Asuka says in a sultry tone before starting to kiss Shinji, who slowly kisses her back- he's still nervous about doing this in front of other people.
 
 
The two stooges just shake their heads. “Geez! He gets that for losing?” Is Toji's view on the situation.
 
Kensuke chimes in a moment later. “I wonder what he would have gotten if he had won?”
 
 
Asuka ignores the stooges and finishes the kiss before turning to look at Toji and Kensuke. “Shut up! It's none of your business! You'd better be ready to run in fifteen minutes...so I can cream you!”
 
“We'll see about that...” Is the parting comment by Toji as he and Kensuke walk away.
 
 
“I guess you're back to your old self...” Shinji cringes as a result of a sudden glare from Asuka. “I… uh... mean towards them...”
 
“Of course... what would the world be like of I didn't do that. I'm going to rest for a while, so I'll be ready for those stooges.” Asuka answer matter-of-factly.
 
Shinji looks around and sees Rei sitting on the ground nearby. “I see Rei over there... I'm going to go talk to her. I'll be back to cheer you on, ok?”
 
“You better be back!”
 
 
Shinji walks a short distance over to Rei, who has been taking a break from her exercises...
 
“How are you doing, Rei?” He says as he sits down next to her.
 
“Adequate. Though I see no need for all of this physical activity, it is too much at once, given the fact we had no gym class for three weeks...”
 
“I agree. Did you decide what you were going to try out for after class?”
 
“So far I have decided to try out for the swim team. As for the other sport, I have not decided yet...”
 
“That's great! I know Hikari and Asuka will be trying out for the swim team. I'm sure you're wondering what I am going to sign up for...”
 
Rei looks up at Shinji. “I am curious, Ikari...”
 
“I'm going to try out for the track team and the basketball team. I know Toji can give me a hand with the basketball thing...”
 
“I have seen him play, he appears to be good at the sport... and you have just demonstrated that you are very fast on the track...”
 
Shinji blushes slightly. “Uh... thanks, Rei. Asuka is very fast, too... and she swims good...”
 
“She appears to be a good swimmer... I am sure she will make it on the team...” Rei says with a nod.
 
 
Shinji is about to respond when he hears Asuka yelling "I'm ready! Come here Shinji!"
 
“I gotta go, Rei. I promised Asuka that I would cheer her on… she's going to race Toji and Kensuke...”
 
“I will come with you brother... I would like to see this race as well.”
 
“Um... okay. Let's go!”
 
 
Shinji and Rei walk over to the track, where Asuka is waiting.
 
After looking around, Shinji turns to Asuka. “Where are Toji and Kensuke?”
 
“Oh, those two are on their way over here... it seems they told some of the other students about the race...” She points at the gathering crowd on the other side of the track. “I bet they'll be rooting for those idiots...”
 
“I don't know if they will or not... but I'll be rooting for you! Rei has also decided to watch the race.”
 
“Well... that's nice.” After seeing Toji and Kensuke approaching in the distance Asuka decides to focus on the task at hand. “I guess it's time...” She looks at Shinji and blows him a kiss.
 
“Wish me luck, okay?”
 
“Um... good luck, Asuka!” A blushing Third Child says back, still not totally used to her flirting, especially in public.
 
 
Toji, Kensuke, and another male student, come walking up to Asuka. The other student will be the judge, so there will be no bias in judging the race. All three get ready to run...
 
 
“Ready to lose, Asuka?” Says Kensuke from the right lane.
 
“We're going to win, and then you'll have to shut that big mouth of yours...” Toji says as he takes his position in the left lane.
 
Asuka walks into the middle lane and says nothing to the stooges but says a few words to herself. ”We'll see, stooges, we'll see...”
 
 
A few seconds later, the signal is given, and the trio starting running down the track... Asuka is surprised to see the crowd is silent as she runs past... when she passes Shinji and Rei, Asuka notices Shinji showing Rei how to make a "thumbs up" signal... and on the next lap sees both of them giving her a "thumbs-up"...
 
 
Soon it's the last lap, and Toji and Kensuke are very close behind Asuka, using their feelings towards her as a motivator to run faster... all three of them approach the finish line, almost dead even. Asuka speeds up at the last second and beats the stooges...
 
 
Asuka takes a bow, and then bows to the crowd. “Thank you! Thank you!” She looks back at Kensuke and Toji and with a smirk on her face says: “Well... I win! You guys TRIED to win, but no one beats Asuka Langley Soryu!”
 
 
Turning away in disgust, Kensuke and Toji walk over to Shinji. Rei gets up and leaves, making her way towards the locker room...
 
“Hey Shinji! We seen you givin' a "thumbs-up" to Asuka!”
 
Kensuke shakes his head. “Why, man, why?”
 
“Ummm... well...” Is about all Shinji can say back in response.
 
Toji moves closer and gets in Shinji's face. “I have a question for yah, and you better answer it!”
 
 
After taking a deep breath, Shinji prepares for said question, but gets put in a headlock by Toji.
 
“How did yah manage to get Asuka to open up to you?”
 
 
Shinji would have fallen to the ground in shock had it not been for the fact that he was in a headlock...
 
 
“That girl must have two sides, yet you got to be on the good end of her attention, unlike before. Tell us, how did yah do it? I never thought you'd be the type for Asuka, despite all of our comments...” Kensuke says, doing a follow up comment on Toji's line.
 
“Yeah, tell us how you "tamed" Asuka... I want to know how to deal with Hikari. I asked her out to dinner, so I need to know how to get the relationship going.”
 
 
Toji releases his headlock and Shinji takes a few deep breaths and regains his composure.
 
“Umm... I don't know what to say for advice. In my case, Asuka and I made a big effort to talk about our feelings for each other after that last battle. Asuka and I realized that we had barriers up, and tried to overcome them...”
 
“I see. So you really did have a thing for her... since the day you met, right? You're very lucky, yah know...” The otaku says, nodding his head.
 
“Very lucky... that you didn't give up or let her beat you down to the point where you hated her...” Toji says a moment later.
 
“I guess...” Shinji says while shrugging his shoulders.
 
 
Toji puts his hand on Shinji's shoulder. “You guess? Come on, man. I may not like her, but you have to admit that she is `built'...”
 
“I guess you could say she's a `Brickhouse'...” Kensuke says with a chuckle.
 
 
 
Shinji has no idea what Kensuke means by that. “A what?”
 
The otaku has a sweat drop. “You've got a lot to learn, my friend...”
 
“Let's go sign up for the sports team stuff and get out of here! Class is over now, anyway!” A nodding Toji says, wanting get out of school ASAP. “I'll tell yah what that means on the way… and what song to listen to really understand that term... right Kensuke?”
 
“Right!”
 
 
Kensuke, Shinji, and Toji walk over to the school and go inside. They quickly find the list and sign up for their respective sports. In the meantime, Asuka is heading back to the girls locker room to change back into regular clothes... inside, she sees Rei and starts to talk... she does her best to be nice to Rei.
 
 
“Rei... I... uh... wanted to say... um... thanks for the `thumbs up'...”
 
“It was no problem. Ikari showed me how do the `thumbs up'...”
 
“You knew I was going to win, right?” Is the proud response back from Asuka.
 
“After your performance earlier versus Ikari, I calculated that you were the mostly likely to win the race...”
 
“Well, at least you recognize my talent...”
 
 
Rei and Asuka finish changing and go sign up for the sports that they want try out for, then go and wait out in front of the school. Shinji has been waiting for them...
 
 
“It's almost three, and Misato still isn't here...” Shinji says, glancing again at his watch.
 
“Yeah... I wanna get the moving done so we can go home and relax...” Asuka says, feeling a little impatient.
 
 
Almost on cue, Misato comes driving up in her blue car...
 
 
“Come on, get in!” Misato yells from inside the car.
 
 
The three pilots shuffle into the car, and Misato drives over to Rei's place. To Misato's surprise, it only takes one trip to move all of Rei's personal belongings into the car. Shinji and Asuka wait in the car after making a trip. A demolition crew stands ready to set up at ground level... Rei is the last person left in any of the apartments on that side of the street. Down on street level a Demolition Chief is talking with Misato and Rei…
 
 
“Is that all you have left? If you are finished getting all of your stuff out of the apartment, my workers are going to set up the explosives.”
 
Misato nods her head. “I think that's it... anything else you need, Rei?”
 
“No, ma'am. That is all I wish to take with me.”
 
“All right then.”
 
 
The Demolition Chief walks down the street and starts to give orders to the workers, who start setting up explosives…
 
 
“I wish to stay for a while... I would like to see the buildings get demolished...”
 
Rei's request catches Misato off guard and it takes her a moment to give an answer back to Rei.
 
“Uh... ok. Call us when you're leaving, so I can have dinner ready...”
 
“Understood.”
 
 
Misato gets in the car and drives off, heading back to the apartment while Rei stays behind and watches as the demolition crew set up their explosives... half an hour later, the work is completed. She moves back to a safe distance and watches her building as a countdown is yelled out loud...
 
 
One item was deliberately left in the apartment- the pair of Gendo's glasses. Rei almost picked them up without thinking, but passed by them on her last trip out of the apartment...
 
 
“10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... 0!“
 
 
Dust and debris fly through the air as the whole row of apartment buildings start to topple down to the ground. Rei has a sense of relief, that tie to her former life is now gone forever, destroyed in the demolition. Having attained a sense of absolution, she starts to walk towards Misato's apartment while placing a cell phone call...
 
 
At the Katsuragi apartment... Misato just gets off the phone with Rei.
 
 
“Rei is on her way back! Hurry up and get that veggie pizza made, Shinji!”
 
“I'm going as fast as I can... I never made a pizza before.” He says, looking at the recipe book.
 
Asuka decides to help out. “You want me to chop up the vegetables, Shinji?”
 
“Sure.”
 
“And what are you doing to help, Misato?” Asuka says while staring at Misato.
 
 
Misato tries to come up with an excuse quickly. “I um... well... I'll get the plates and silverware set up. I have a surprise for all three of you after dinner...”
 
 
That statement rings in Asuka's mind as Misato sets up the table for dinner. Finally, she just has to ask what the surprise is…
 
 
“Really? What is it?”
 
”You'll have to wait!” Misato says as she wags a finger at Asuka.
 
“Fine, fine…”
 
 
The Second Child starts to chop up various vegetables and gets them ready for the pizza as Shinji prepares the crust and tomato sauce. The pizza is well underway before Misato heads into her room and frantically searches for the old, medium sized cardboard box that contains the surprise. After a few minutes, she finally finds it. As she opens the box, there is a photograph sitting on the top...
 
 
“Huh? What's this?” She picks up the photo and examines it closely…
 
 
To see what the photo looks like, go to picture 67 on picture page 8 of my website... (It is a picture of a younger Misato and Kaji from college)
 
 
After a few moments, a wave of emotion hits her and she begins to silently weep to herself... silently saying one word to herself over and over... "Kaji"
 
 
A few minutes later, Pen-Pen cautiously opens the door and walks into the room, closing the door behind him. Misato sees him and motions him forward...
 
 
“Come here...” Misato says in a soft voice. Pen-Pen waddles up to her and gazes at her face with a look of concern. “You're worried about me? It'll be ok... I just miss him so much...”
 
 
Pen-Pen quickly finds himself in Misato's embrace. His presence seems to cheer Misato up a little and her weeping stops. “Thanks Pen-Pen…”
 
“WAAARK!”
 
 
A little while later, Rei arrives and heads into the kitchen. Shinji has just placed the pizza in the oven and Asuka is making a salad with the remaining vegetables...
 
 
 
“Where's Misato?” A concerned Shinji says as he looks around.
 
“I don't know... didn't she go into her room a while ago?”
 
“Can you go find her? I have to watch this pizza...”
 
“Fine...”
 
 
Asuka walks towards Misato's room and tries to find her guardian while Shinji continues to work on dinner with Rei.
 

”Rei, could you finish making the salads?”
 
“Yes, brother.” Rei says with a nod as she starts to put finishing touches on the salads.
 
 
Over at Misato's door, Asuka is trying to get the woman's attention by knocking on the door…
 
“Misato! You in there?”
 
Misato responds in a near whisper. “Hmmm? Oh yeah... come in.”
 
 
As Asuka walks in, she notices Misato rubbing her eyes and wiping tears off of her face. Pen-Pen is in her lap and there's a picture in her hand. `It looks like she's been crying... I wonder why?'
 
 
“What's on that picture?”
 
Misato half smiles at the question. “This? We'll it's an old picture from my college days... take a look and see for yourself.”
 
Asuka moves closer and looks at the picture with interest. “Is... is that... you and Kaji? You look a little bit different in this picture...”
 
 
A smile tries to find its way onto Misato's face. “Yeah... that's us just before we graduated from college. I found the picture when I was looking for the surprise package for you, Shinji, and Rei.”
 
 
She quickly puts the lid back on the box before Asuka can sneak a look inside. A concerned Asuka can see that Misato is in pain…
 
“Are you ok?”
 
“Yeah... I'm fine. I just got a little depressed when I saw the picture... I just miss him. I'm sure you miss him as well...” She finally manages a smile and stands up as she says these words.
 
“Yeah... I do.” Is the response back from Asuka, who misses him as well.
 
“He would be proud of you, Asuka. Proud that you opened yourself up, especially to Shinji. Proud that you found a reason to live besides piloting EVA...”
 
“Yes... he would.” Asuka says softly, nodding her head.
 
 
After clearing her throat, Misato decides to change the subject. “Well, I hope you didn't come in here to try and sneak a peek at the surprise...”
 
Asuka waves her hands defensively. “No, no... I didn't come in for that. Shinji asked me to see where you were... I think dinner's almost ready, and Rei's here.”
 
“Great! Pen-Pen and I will be there in a minute... can you get the drinks set up?”
 
“Um... sure. Did you want your usual beer?”
 
“Nah. I'll pick something else to drink...don't worry about it.”
 
 
Asuka leaves and heads into the kitchen to get the drinks set up. With Asuka gone, Misato turns her sights on something special…
 
“Pen-Pen, it's time to open the reserve vault...”
 
Pen-Pen squawks in disapproval at the request, knowing exactly what Misato wants.
 
 
“No, I really need some of that stuff… if you get out a bottle, I'll buy you some Alaskan salmon tomorrow!”
 
 
A happy Pen-Pen cannot believing his luck, he squawks with delight. “WWWAARRK!”
 
“Good. Let's go and eat!“
 
 
 
Misato and Pen-Pen head into the kitchen and sit down, joining the three pilots who are already sitting down at the table. Her eyes are drawn to the XXL deluxe veggie pizza sitting in the middle of the table.
 
 
“Looks great, Shinji! Pen-Pen, my drink, please...”
 
Pen-Pen hops down off of the chair and heads into his fridge...the sounds of scuffling can be heard inside as he retrieves what Misato wants to drink…
 
 
“What is that penguin doing?” A puzzled Asuka asks after hearing some clanking inside Pen-Pen's refrigerator.
 
“Why is he getting you a drink?” Shinji asks, also curious about what's going on.
 
“Well, I promised to get him some salmon tomorrow, so...”
 
Pen-Pen finally emerges from the fridge, holding a 1.75 L bottle of Grey Goose Vodka (80 Proof and from France for you readers that don't drink)
 
“I had him get some of my reserve liquor out.” Misato says matter-of-factly.
 
“Reserve liquor?”
 
“Yeah...I entrusted Pen-Pen with my special stash of rare and exotic liquors when I bought that fridge for him to live in. I told him to hold the stuff inside and not give any of it to me unless it was a special occasion...”
 
Pen-Pen hands the bottle to Misato and sits in his chair.
 
“Today is one of those days! This stuff is old...and it ain't cheap!”
 
“This is a special occasion?” Rei asks, not knowing why today is special.
 
“Rei...it's really nice to have you move in with us... and you're becoming more outgoing... and doing pretty well...”
 
 
Misato pours some vodka into a glass and then throws in a few other ingredients from various small bottles on the table to make a “Cosmopolitan” When she is finished, she holds up her glass.
 
“Let's have a toast!”
 
Rei's curiosity is peaked once again. “What is a `toast?'”
 
Asuka decides to take on the task of explaining this concept to Rei. “You see Wonder... er, I mean Rei... a toast is something you do to celebrate a happy occasion or to congratulate someone...”
 
“Ah, I see. This toast is to congratulate me for moving in...”
 
“Yeah, it is.” Shinji says with a smile.
 
 
Shinji holds his glass up, and Rei slowly follows suit. Misato starts to nudge Asuka, who slowly puts up her glass as well...
 
 
“Here's to the future! Hopefully, it'll be full of good things and no more Angels! Also, here's to Rei and her move in with us here!”
 
 
All four people say "Cheers" and drink their respective drinks, though Rei says it after the other three do... even Pen-Pen lets out a WARK! The three pilots look at each other, knowing that they're lucky they even a have a chance at a semi-normal life...
 
 
After the toast, Asuka begins looking ravenously at the pizza on the table. “Well... what are we waiting for? Let's eat!”
 
 
Everyone starts to dig in and chow down on the pizza and eat the salads...
 
“Wow! This very good Shinji! And this was your first try at this?” Misato says, complimenting Shinji on his hard work with dinner.
 
“Uh... yeah. I'm glad you like it...” Shinji says modestly and with a little bit of timid-ness.
 
Asuka looks at Shinji and winks suggestively as she eats. “I love your pizza, Shin-Chan!”
 
Shinji's face turns very red as he continues to eat.
 
“The pizza is very...” It takes a few seconds for Rei to figure out the right word to say. “It is very tasty, Ikari.”
 
“Um... thanks, Rei, Asuka...” All of the attention is making Shinji's face quite red and he tries to focus on eating…
 
 
Misato decides to make another cosmopolitan and then speaks. “Rei... that's why we have Shinji cook all of the time. His cooking is simply wonderful... I'm sure you'll love it, Rei...”
 
 
After eating a little more, Asuka looks at Misato and realizes that she'll be very drunk at this rate of consumption if she continues. “Misato... can you get our surprise now? I want to see what you have for us!”
 
“I was wondering about that too...what is it?”
 
 
Slowly, Misato gets up… she can feel the alcohol starting to take effect already. “Hmm... all right. Be back in a second.”
 
 
Misato slowly staggers out of the room and the teens begin a discussion.
 
 
“What is that stuff? She looks like she starting to get drunk already!” A concerned Shinji asks.
 
“Well… I recognized that bottle… it's vodka, my baka Shinji, and it has a lot more alcohol in it than beer... that's why she's already tipsy...”
 
“Why is she trying to get drunk?” Rei asks, not knowing the reasoning behind Misato's drinking.
 
 
Shinji decides to explain in to Rei. “That's what she does on occasion... and when she's depressed...”
 
Asuka immediately recalls in her mind the scene in Misato's room just a little while ago, and realizes now why she's getting drunk. “I guess it's her way of coping with reality sometimes... and it's a regular thing, Rei, so get used to seeing it...”
 
 
Misato returns to the kitchen carrying a cardboard box. She places it carefully on the table... and removes the lid.
 
“Well... what is it?” An impatient Asuka asks, still curious about this “surprise”…
 
 
Misato nods at the box. “Look inside and see for yourself...”
 
 
All three pilots look inside the box and see a collection of CD's inside...
 
 
“What are these?” Shinji takes out a random CD. “Music CD's in English?”
 
Asuka is confused. “Why are you giving us music CD's?”
 
“Well... these CD's are from some of my college classes. You see, Kaji and I took some music courses and some of them dealt with...” Misato pauses and tries to remember the name of the class. “Oh, now I remember, it was called Pre-Second Impact music. Yeah... that's it.”
 
Misato snaps her fingers and continues.
 
“There was one course that I really loved... it was called `Pre 2nd Impact Music 1950-2000 CE' Kaji and I picked "English" because there was a greater variety of songs to listen to and enjoy...”
 
“I had a similar class in college, though I listened to music from all around the world.” Asuka says, remembering her college days.
 
“We can take these? I thought you would want to listen to them...” Shinji says, wondering why she'd want to give these CD's up.
 
 
There's no audible response from Misato… she takes the vodka bottle and takes a drink straight from it… not even bothering to make a mixed drink this time. “Nah. I'm passing these on to my... children. All three of them...”
 
 
Pen-Pen loudly objects to that number. “SQUAAAK!”
 
“Oops… I meant all four of my children...” A giggling Misato says as Pen-Pen waves his flippers happily.
 
 
The three teens rummage through the box and Asuka grabs a CD that has a big heart on the front of it. “This one looks pretty! I wonder what kind of songs are on it...”
 
Asuka flips the CD over and starts to read the title out loud. “Pure Sin Volume I & II? Mein Gott In Himmel! What is this?”
 
 
Misato hears this and swiftly grabs the CD from Asuka and holds the CD close to her heart. “This... is a special CD that Kaji and I enjoyed a lot. It's not for kids...” She starts to daydream about Kaji and zones out.
 
 
Shinji leans over and whispers in Asuka's ear “What was on that CD, Asuka?”
 
The Second Child blushes slightly as she whispers back. “I only saw the titles of a few of the tracks before she snatched it away... ummm... they were...make out songs, I think...”
 
“Oh...” Shinji turns his attention to Rei as Asuka continues to dig through the box. “You find anything you may want to listen to, Rei?”
 
A nodding Rei points to the stack of CD's in front of her. “These appeared to be interesting...”
 
 
As Rei looks at the CD's in front of her, Misato looks over at the stack of CD's and makes a comment. “Ah... those would be perfect for you, Rei! `The Four Tops' and `The Temptations'... those are easy listening CD's... from a music studio called `Motown', if I remember correctly. Find anything, Asuka?”
 
“Yeah! I found a few CD's that looked nice...” She pauses to point at a small stack of CD's. “Those looked like dance music... they're called `Jock Jams.'”
 
Asuka holds up another CD. “This one looked nice, too. It came out just before Second Impact... it's called `On The 6'...”
 
“Looks like you got all dance music there with some slow songs...” Misato notices another stack of CD's next to Asuka and asks about them. “What about those on your right?”
 
 
Before Asuka can answer, Misato down some more vodka…
 
“Rock music. I heard of this group before... when I was a kid, they were playing in concerts all over Europe and North America.”
 
Misato nods her head as Asuka holds one of the AC/DC CD's up. Asuka flips over the CD and begins reading the list of songs aloud. “Hmm... Go Down... Let There Be Rock... Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be... Problem Child...”
 
“Rebellious music... huh… it's perrrrfect for you, Asuka. That last song fits you just rrrrright...” A slurring Misato says as she winks at Asuka.
 
 
That comment gets Asuka pissed off. “What do you mean! I'm no problem child!” Out of the corner of her eye, she catches Shinji staring at her. “What are you looking at?!”
 
“Ummm....” Is about all Shinji can say back as Asuka glares at him ominously.
 
“Are you saying I am a problem child Shinji?”
 
A very scared Shinji tries to choose his words carefully. “Umm... no... well...maybe you were... but you've changed a lot...”
 
After closing his eyes for a moment, Shinji braces for the worst and is surprised to find Asuka's right in front of his when he reopens his eyes… and she's looking at him sweetly…
 
“You're right... I have changed. You had a part in that...” She moves forward and gives Shinji a quick kiss. “Thank you.”
 
“Uh... oh... there goes the ccccouple again...” Misato says before burping loudly.
 
Rei walks over to Misato. “You appear to be confused; do you need assistance, Misato?”
 
“Umm... I'm ffffine, Rei. Tomorrow morning... well that's a different ssssstory...” Is the reply back as the Major puts a hand on her forehead.
 
 
“Speaking of music... what did you pick out, Shinji?”
 
“Well, Asuka, these CD's here are by someone named `Lionel Richie'. One thing caught my eye, there is a song called `Angel' on this album here, and it was made 15 years ago, just before the Second Impact. That seemed like a weird coincidence to me... I also grabbed this one by the `Gap Band'... seemed interesting...”
 
 
Misato interrupts the conversation. “Wwell... I whink it's time for bwedddd...”
 
 
The three teens turn and watch as Misato staggers away and miraculously makes into her room without falling over, still having the Pure Sin CD in hand. Once inside her room, Misato lies down and passes out immediately.
 
Back in the kitchen, Asuka comments on what she just saw.
 
“That may be a good idea... I wanna check out some of this music...” Asuka says as she gets up and lovingly kisses Shinji. “Good night, Shin-Chan. Good night, Rei.”
 
“Good night.”
 
“Good night, Asuka...”
 
 
After Asuka goes to her room it's just Rei and Shinji in the kitchen. Shinji remembers a question he had meant to ask earlier. “Rei, did you need any help unpacking your stuff?”
 
“There is not much to unpack; I can take care of it...”
 
“Well... ok. Good night, Rei.”
 
“Good night, Ikari.”
 
Both of teens head to their respective rooms and then Pen-Pen heads off to bed... and the three pilots check out the new music in their rooms. Rei plays some of the music as she unpacks her belongings in her new room... she thinks to herself- `I'm home and I have a real family now... a brother in Shinji, a pseudo-mother in Misato, and a friend in Asuka'
 
Another day passes into night... a day of school passes by... and then it's Friday. Misato has a later shift today, and won't be home until very late. She leaves her precious CD out on the kitchen counter, having listened to it after the kids left for school...
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 13: Friday Afternoon aka The Pratical Joke
 
“Mien Gott In Himmel” is German for “My God in Heaven”
 
The CD part was done like it was on purpose... the CD's will play a part in future chapters, particularly at Christmas Eve. Should be another redone chapter up within the next two weeks, though I'd say sooner… the next chapter is one of my personal favorites and remains a fan favorite.