Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 13: Friday Afternoon aka The Practical Joke ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 13: Friday Afternoon aka The Practical Joke
 
A/N: I don't own the song "Angel" by Lionel Richie, that is property of Universal Music and Video Distribution, Inc. Copyright 2000 C.E.
 
 
 
It's time for my most well known and infamous chapter of all... mwahhaha! A few minor tweaks is about all I did to it on the rewrite, it's good already... but there have been some major text changes in parts, so don't rush through.
 
Thanks to Danny_171984 for the preread. This chapter would've been up several days prior, but the document somehow got deleted so I had to go back and rework the whole thing all over again. Sorry about the delay!
 
 
I will be attending Nebraksacon in Lincoln, Nebraska on 11/18 and 11/19… if anyone else is attending, feel free to let me know via email. Tiffany Grant is going to be there, so this event is a must attend for me… also look for a new chapter and a brand new video, done in the same style that Tiffany did hers on the NGE Platinum DVD Volume 4- Part 1 of ST Pika and his anime “obsession” will be up this month, showing off my anime stuff that is currently with me in Tulsa.
 
Now, onto the story!
 
 
 
 
November 13th
 
After a full day of school, Shinji, Asuka, and Rei head home. Rei heads into her room as soon as they get home. Shinji heads into the kitchen, while Asuka goes into her room... a note on the table catches Shinji's attention…
 
 
“What's this?” He picks up the note and reads it to himself.
 
 
Shinji, Asuka, and Rei
 
I'll be home late tonight, around 8:30. Order something for yourselves. Pen-Pen has the money... see yah later!
 
Misato
 
 
“Hey, Asuka! Misato is not going to be home until late tonight! We get to order in!” Shinji says as he calls out to Asuka.
 
 
Asuka walks into the kitchen and is hoping that she heard right. “Really?”
 
 
Shinji nods his head, confirming the thought.
 
 
“Great! We don't have to worry about Misato's cooking tonight!” Asuka says happily.
 
“I'm going to make some miso soup to hold us over… did you want some?”
 
 
Asuka's stomach growls loudly and answers that question for her. “Yeah! I'm really hungry right now!”
 
 
As Shinji gets to work on the soup, Asuka has an idea and decides to present it to Shinji.
 
 
“Hey, Shinji, did you want to hear some of the music that I picked yesterday?”
 
“Sure. Can you go see if Rei wants any soup?”
 
 
Asuka nods her head and then walks over to Rei's room while Shinji goes to a cabinet and digs out the ingredients for the soup, and starts to prepare it.
 
 
A short while later, Asuka returns to the kitchen, after having stopped in her own room on the return trip. She is carrying one of her CD's…
 
“Rei said that's she's not hungry right now… and I got my CD, so let me know what you think of this music. It's a lot more interesting than that classical music you listen to all of the time...”
 
 
As Asuka walks over to the CD Player and puts her CD case down she notices another case sitting on the counter. “What's this?”
 
 
Upon closer inspection, Asuka finds out that the CD in question is the "Pure Sin Volume I & II" CD that she had seen two days prior.
 
 
“Shinji! Misato left her precious CD out... now I can see what she was trying to hide from us...”
 
Shinji shrugs his shoulders. “She must have been listening to it and forgotten to put it away...”
 
“Yep! Now I'm going to look and see what kind of stuff is on it...”
 
An eager Asuka flips over the CD and begins to read the track names to herself. Shinji looks at Asuka and sees her starting to blush... curiosity gets the best of him and he wonders aloud what's wrong…
 
 
“Well... it's the songs on here... I can see why she didn't want us to see this CD collection. It's full of make out songs! What kind of life was this woman leading in college? Now I see why she has such a dirty mind, she gets it from listening to stuff like this all of the time!”
 
 
The Second Child puts the CD back on the counter and sits down at the table and waits for the soup to finish.
 
 
“I guess...” Shinji says as he continues to stir the soup. “Asuka, why don't you get our money for dinner from Pen-Pen? I'm going to get our snack set up here...”
 
 
Shinji gets two bowls and spoons out as Asuka goes over to Pen-Pen's fridge and knocks on the door…
 
 
“Hey! Pen-Pen! Open up!”
 
 
Pen-Pen opens the door and looks at Asuka. He is holding a wad of yen in his flippers...
 
“Good, you have the money.” She starts to reach for the money but Pen-Pen pulls away, causing Asuka to get angry. “What are you doing? Give me the money!”
 
 
Pen-Pen puts the money by his stomach and Asuka realizes something.
 
“Oh... you want some food too? Well... let me have the money and we'll order something for you...”
 
 
The warm-water penguin reluctantly hands over the money to Asuka... Shinji has a few comments to say after watching that exchange…
 
 
“What took you so long? I thought you would have just taken it from him...”
 
That comment doesn't sit well with Asuka and she gets in Shinji's face. “Just what are you saying, Third?” There's no response from Shinji and Asuka suddenly becomes depressed. “I guess I'm losing my touch... I'm getting soft...”
 
Shinji puts his hands on Asuka's shoulders. “No, you're not. You're even tougher now... caring for people makes you stronger, not weaker. I feel stronger since we came back... I have to be. My girlfriend is one tough cookie.”
 
“That... that's right. I am tough.” Asuka puts her arms around him. “Always remember that I'm the toughest woman alive! Who else could have taken all of that punishment that we had when we were fighting the Angels?”
 
“Only you, Asuka...” Shinji whispers as Asuka pulls him into a hug.
 
 
A smile and a kiss on the cheek are the reward Shinji gets from Asuka for that ego boosting comment that he just gave her. “Good answer, Shinji. I'd hold you some more… but I think the soup is almost done…”
 
“Um... should be done by now... I'd better check it before it overcooks…” Shinji says as he gently is released from the embrace he was just in. He walks over to the stove and pours the soup into the bowls, which are already on the table. Asuka sits down and begins to eat.
 
 
“You like it?” The chef asks, hoping for a “yes” answer…
 
“Yeah, it's great… did you add some other flavoring? It tastes different than before...”
 
“Just a few special touches of mine...” A happy Shinji says as he puts the pot back on the stove and joins Asuka at the table. He begins eating the soup and his thoughts drift to that of the redhead sitting next to him…
 
As she is eating, Asuka begins to think to herself. A thought crosses her mind... and another. Soon a plan begins to form in her head...
 
“I've got it!”
 
”Got what?” A confused Shinji asks in return.
 
“An idea. That CD of Misato's gave me an idea. A very wicked idea...”
 
“And... and what might that be?” A nervous Shinji asks… now knowing Asuka well enough to know that this could be either very good… or very bad.
 
 
“Finish eating and I'll tell you.”
 
 
Both teens finish up their soup and then Asuka continues her previous thought...
 
 
“Now... as I was saying, I have an idea. Remember when Misato played that joke on us? She yelled at us and embarrassed both of us. I just figured out a way to get her back.”
 
“Well... yeah. That was embarrassing. I can't believe she did that...”
 
“I thought for a second there she was going to blow up.” Asuka gets on her feet. “I thought of a way to get her back... by giving her a taste of her own medicine.”
 
Shinji also stands up. “What's your idea?”
 
“I need your help for this one...” Asuka walks up to him and puts her arms around him and talks sweetly. “Only if we working together can we pull this one off…”
 
“Uh... ok. Tell me what you want me to do...” A nervous Shinji says as her flirting continues.
 
“I was thinking of playing one of these songs in my room, so when Misato comes in, she'll think we were... being naughty.” The redhead says, causing Shinji to blush.
 
“Naughty? You mean you want her to think that we're... we're... having sex?”
 
Asuka gives Shinji a seductive wink. “Yes... exactly. What do you think of my plan?”
 
Shinji considers her words and what they'd be portraying. “The idea… it's umm… it's very nice...”
 
“What's wrong, Shinji? I'm just getting you ready for later...” Asuka says, noticing the blushing and nervous Shinji.
 
 
To escape Asuka's questioning for a moment, Shinji turns his head away. “It's just that you're too... flirtatious sometimes.”
 
“I... I'm sorry. I flirt with you a lot, yet this is the first time you've said anything...”
 
“I was afraid that I would hurt your feelings... I know you flirt with me now because we're a couple, and I should accept that... but why did you do that before? I've always wondered why…” Shinji says as he turns back to look at Asuka.
 
 
“Well… before... that was sort of teasing you on purpose. There were some times when I was trying to get your attention... and other times where I was playing around with you. I know you enjoyed some of those times... I saw them from your point of view... you enjoyed those looks at me, didn't you? I know you can't stop looking at my breasts and butt…”
 
“Well... um... yeah... I guess. You were indifferent most of the time, though. That's why I never really responded to your `attention-getting' flirts, no matter what you were showing me.”
 
“I guess you're right. Since your my... my boyfriend... can I still flirt with you? Please, Shin-Chan?”
 
 
A moment of silence passes.... Shinji thinks to himself... 'I guess I could let her flirt with me... besides... I need to get more comfortable with her and her feelings towards me. Maybe it's her way of showing that she cares for me. Besides, I can't resist her when she holds me like this, she has such warmth... and when she presses her chest again me... that feels nice...'
 
Shinji stops his train of thought before it gets too perverted and then looks intently at Asuka as he strokes her hair…
 
 
“Sure, Asuka. I know you only do that because you really care for me...”
 
“That's right. Thank you, Shinji...” Asuka puts her head over his shoulder. “Now, what were we talking about?”
 
“That `make out' CD of Misato's?”
 
“Oh yeah… I think we should look at the CD and pick a song to play... that would give her the best scare…”
 
“Yeah...” A determined Shinji says, wanting to make the best joke possible with Asuka's help.
 
 
Shinji and Asuka gently let go of one another and go over to the kitchen counter. Asuka grabs the CD and begins to read the track listing... Shinji looks over her shoulder and begins to read... blushing as he goes along...
 
“You were right, Asuka. These songs would fill her head with dirty thoughts...”
 
“Now you see what I mean. What song shall we choose? I think this one would be good...” Asuka says as she points to a song called "Anticipation".
 
“That one looks promising... how about this one?” Shinji points to a song called "Love In An Elevator".
 
“That sooo sounds like something Misato would do... but I don't think we can use it... let's use this one! It's called `Between The Sheets'…”
 
“That looks like the best one so far... but what about this one? It's called `Give It To Me, Baby'... and it certainly sounds like a umm…”
 
“Damn it Shinji they all do!” The Second Child scratching her head and begins thinking about the problem at hand. “We need a song that will instantly signal what it is that we are pretending to do here... something that says `sex'…”
 
 
Both teenager's eyes are drawn to the tenth song on the first disc... the title indicates that it would be the perfect song for this joke...
 
 
“This one! Track ten, disc one... it's perfect! There's no doubt about what you're doing if you're listening to this one…”
 
Shinji blushes as he reads the title of said song. “Y... yeah. That song speaks for itself. That would be the best choice...”
 
 
Asuka begins to get excited now that the problem is solved. “Then track ten it is! We just bring the CD player into my room and when we hear her come in, play the track real loud. We'll have to get Rei in her room somehow or out of the apartment. You and I will hide in my closet...”
 
“Sounds good...”
 
“Since all of that is settled... let's get our homework done so we don't have to do it on the weekend... I may want to go shopping or something...” Asuka says as she puts her AC/DC "Let There Be Rock" CD in the player.
 
“Okay… let's get it done now then…”
 
“I'm going to play some of music... let me know what you think of it...” After saying those words, Asuka presses play on the CD player. Hard rock music starts to blare from the CD player as Shinji and Asuka get their homework out and begin to work on it at the kitchen table. About an hour later, the homework is finished... thanks to Asuka and Shinji working together on the problems...
 
 
“Whew, we're finally done with all that homework. What did you think of the music?” A relieved Asuka says as she stretches.
 
“It was a little loud for my tastes...” A slightly complaining Shinji says, not totally used to this kind of music.
 
“You have to expand your horizons... you can't always listen to that quiet stuff... you gotta get loud sometimes! I forgot how much I liked this group... I only heard a few songs when I was a kid... but they sounded cool...” An energetic Asuka says, trying to convince Shinji to give AC/DC a chance…
 
 
“I guess... but speaking of expanding horizons... let me play a song or two for you. It's only fair...”
 
After a moment of deliberation, Asuka folds her arms across her chest. “Fine... it better be good!”
 
 
Shinji gets up and then walks into his room. Pen-Pen comes out of his fridge and walks over to Asuka, gently tugging at her leg. She looks down at the penguin and wonders what he wants…
 
 
“What is it? Are you hungry?” Pen-Pen nods his head affirmatively. “Maybe we should order dinner, it'll probably take a half hour to prepare...”
 
 
Asuka looks around for Shinji before yelling “Hey, Shinji! What do you want to order for dinner?”
 
 
Ten seconds later, Shinji walks back in the room with a CD in his hands. “I don't know... we should see what Rei wants to eat...”
 
“All right...”
 
 
After a short walk down the front hallway, Asuka yells out “Rei! Get in the kitchen so we can order dinner!” She returns to the kitchen with Rei not very far behind her.
 
 
“Here's the situation, Rei. Shinji is indecisive as usual and I want to order Chinese. What did you want to eat?”
 
“Chinese food? I do not believe that I have tasted that before...” Rei says as she feels an urge inside to try this “new” cuisine.
 
“Oh really? It's very good... they have a tasty vegetable special that you would probably like... and the Egg Drop soup is good, too.” Asuka says, hoping to convince Rei that Chinese food is the best choice.
 
“That sounds good. I would like to try those...” A nodding Rei replies back.
 
 
Asuka, now knowing the matter is settled, walks over to the phone. “Great! I'll order right now!” She dials the number for the "Tokyo-3 Chinese Garden Restaurant" and starts to talk into the phone.
 
 
“Hello? I would like to place an order... I need two large orders of Mongolian Beef, a large Moo-Shu Pork, a large Vegetable Special, a large Egg Fu Yung, a half dozen eggrolls, some fortune cookies, and five Egg Drop Soups. Twenty minutes? Sounds good.” With that, Asuka hangs up the phone.
 
 
“You order enough food?” Shinji says jokingly.
 
“Well... I wanted to make sure we had enough for ourselves and Pen-Pen... and to have some food leftover for Misato.” Out of the corner of her eye, Asuka notices that Shinji has a CD in his hand and wants to see what kind of music he has for her.
 
 
“Rei... could you go and pick up the food for us?”
 
“Sure... that would not be a problem.”
 
A grateful Asuka smiles. “Thanks! Here's the money...” She takes the money out of her pocket and gives it to Rei. “Shinji and I owe you one.”
 
 
Rei nods and walks out of the apartment towards the restaurant to get dinner. “Now... what were you going to play for me, Shinji? We got some time to kill...”
 
 
“Oh... yeah.” He walks over to the CD player. “This album is called `Renaissance', and it was made 15 years ago.”
 
 
Shinji sets the track to number 11 and starts the CD player. “It's very upbeat... and a little loud. I hope you like it...”
 
 
Asuka and Shinji go over to the couch and sit down next to each other...both of them just relax and listen to the last two tracks on the CD... Asuka is impressed by his choice of songs.
 
 
“The music was good, Shinji. I really liked that first song, `Here Is My Heart'... it sounded really romantic... and the second one `Don't Stop the Music' was good, too.”
 
“I'm glad you liked it... and I think we have time for another song before Rei gets back. This is that song that I was talking about on Wednesday...”
 
“Oh yeah... `Angel', right?” Asuka says, remembering the title to the song.
 
“Yes...now close your eyes and just listen to the song...” Shinji walks over to the CD player and presses play after changing the track to number one. He walks back over to the couch and sits next to Asuka.
 
 
Asuka feels Shinji's arm around her and she begins to relax. “Let me know if you like this one...” Shinji comments quickly before the song begins playing…
 
 
"I just want to tell you... all the things you are... and all the things you mean... to me..."
 
"When I find myself believing there's no place to go... when I feel the loneliness inside my heart..."
 
"Your the answer to my prayer... and your with me everywhere... you're my angel... miracle... you're all I need tonight. Give me shelter from the rain... you breathe life in me again... you're my angel... miracle... you're all I need to know... tonight..."
 
 
Both Asuka and Shinji start to blush... Shinji pulls Asuka a little closer...
 
 
`He always picks the right songs to play for me... I didn't realize that he could be this romantic…' Is the thought passing through Asuka's mind as the song continues to play.
 
 
"Life is just a moment... we're blowin' in the wind... we're trying to find a friend. And only time can tell us... if we win or if we lose... and who will stand beside us?"
 
"When there is darkness all around me, you're the light I see... when I need someone to ease my troubled mind..."
 
 
Asuka rests her head on Shinji's shoulder... causing him to realize something…
 
 
`She loves the song! I picked a good one to play... she is my angel...'
 
 
"Your the answer to my prayer... and you're with me everywhere... you're my angel... miracle... you're all I need tonight. Give me shelter from the rain... you breathe life in me again... you're my angel... miracle... you're all I need to know... oh... tonight... oh... you're my angel... all I need tonight... you're my angel..."
 
 
The refrain repeats again and then the song draws to a close... Shinji leans over and whispers in Asuka's ear…
 
 
“You're my angel...”
 
“I am? I mean… of course I am. Shinji... that was... very romantic.” A blushing Asuka says, feeling very impressed with her boyfriend.
 
 
Asuka gently pulls Shinji into a close embrace and begins to passionately kiss him... Shinji quickly returns her affections. About a minute later, Rei enters the apartment and heads to the kitchen. She puts the food down on the table and speaks to the couple...
 
 
“Dinner is here...“
 
 
Asuka and Shinji quickly break their embrace and get up, heading into the kitchen. Both are still blushing slightly...
 
`Imagine how embarrassing that would have been if that was Misato instead of Rei... wait a moment, we owe her one...' Asuka ponders as she sits down at the table.
 
 
Shinji decides to get drinks for everyone and keep the attention focused on dinner, not on what Rei just witnessed. “What do you want to drink, Rei, Asuka?”
 
“Get me a cola!” Is the hearty reply from the redhead, who feels her stomach rumbling.
 
“I would like to try one of those as well...” Rei says, curious about this drink.
 
 
Pen-Pen gets out of his fridge, gets a beer, and hops up in a chair. Shinji gets the plates and forks out and puts them on the table, then grabs three colas out of the fridge... he begins thinking about what just happened just a short while ago…
 
 
`I'm glad it was only Rei... who knows how Misato would have reacted...'
 
 
After Shinji puts the sodas on the table, Asuka begins passing out the food containers. “Let's eat!”
 
 
Rei, Asuka, Pen-Pen, and Shinji start to eat dinner... all of these new taste sensations are really enjoyable for Rei and she cannot help but comment aloud about it to the other two teens…
 
“This food is very tasty... and the cola is enjoyable as well...”
 
Pen-Pen agrees with Rei about the food and happily lets the others know this with a hearty “SQUUAAK!”
 
 
“I told you that you'd like it… that's why you gotta try new things, Rei, otherwise you may miss something that you really like...” Asuka says after finishing off an eggroll.
 
“Misato made something new for us for breakfast recently... an egg omelet. I was hesitant to try it at first, so was Asuka. It turned out to be good, Misato actually made something edible...” That last part Shinji says with a chuckle, still finding that thought hard to believe…
 
 
Rei thinks about that for a moment and then looks at Shinji and Asuka. “I see. I hope you both will help me to try new things...”
 
“Of course… you're my sister after all. Maybe we could trying cooking up some new dishes for you to try…”
 
“That's right… Shinji and will help you out, Rei…”
 
 
As they finish eating, Shinji and Asuka talk about the joke that they are about to play... Shinji is feeling a little nervous about the idea, though.
 
“I'm still kinda... nervous about doing this... but we should get her back...”
 
Asuka doesn't budge from her plan and energetically replies back to Shinji. “Promise me you'll do this! I am your angel, right?”
 
“Y...yeah. I promise...”
 
 
Rei is curious about what is being talked about and wants to know more. “What did Misato do?”
 
 
Shinji and Asuka begin to blush as they recall the joke that Misato played on them... Asuka speaks up a moment later...
 
 
“You see, Rei, she...” Rei listens attentively as Asuka begins to describe what happened the incident in question to Rei. After the story is done, Asuka comes around to the main reason of playing this joke.
 
 
“Because she embarrassed us and made us feel bad… that's why we want to get her back with a joke of our own. You get where I'm coming from, right Rei?”
 
“How are you going to get her back?” A nodding Rei says, now understanding more of the situation.
 
 
Shinji and Asuka both suddenly blush as red as tomatoes...
 
“We were... uh... going to...” Shinji is suddenly at a loss for words.
 
“Um... we were going to... uh... set up something with this...” Asuka hands the "make out" CD to Rei. “That's the CD that Misato snatched from me on Wednesday.”
 
 
Rei takes a look at the track listing on the back of the CD, her eyebrows slowly rising as she reads the names of the songs...
 
 
“What do you plan to do with this CD?”
 
“I was thinking of playing track ten in my room, so when Misato comes in, she'll think we we're... we're…”
 
Rei finishes Asuka line. “Having sex?”
 
 
Asuka and Shinji do a double take and look at Rei, totally shocked at her candor in this area...
 
 
“Um... well... yeah... but Shinji and I would be hiding in my closet...”
 
 
Shinji has a very bold thought that could make this plan even better. After a moments' deliberation, he decides to bring it up. “Umm... Asuka... I have a better idea...”
 
 
Asuka's eyes narrow and she's curious to hear what he has to say. “Oh really? Tell me, Shinji.”
 
 
After a few deep breaths, Shinji explains his idea. “I... uh... was thinking we could make this joke a lot better if we waited for Misato... in your bed, under the covers...”
 
 
“You wanna do that!? I didn't think of that... it would make this joke a lot more realistic, wouldn't it?” Asuka looks at Shinji and is surprised that he'd make this kind of comment…
 
`I like it… Shinji's getting some guts in this area…'
 
 
After clearing her throat, Asuka looks over at Shinji and addresses him directly.
 
“Shinji, I would have expected the other stooges to have that kind of perverted thought... not you. Still... it's just what we need to really get her... so we'll use it!”
 
 
Shinji breathes a sigh of relief, because Asuka's reaction was favorable to his idea...
 
“And what of your clothes?” Rei asks, remembering another detail involving sexual activity.
 
“Our clothes? What do you mean, Rei?” A blushing redhead answers back.
 
 
Shinji also blushes. “Clothes? We...we'd have them on, of course...”
 
Rei shakes her head. “No, I meant you should make it look like you are both naked.”
 
“Then what do you mean?” Asuka asks, still not getting the point.
 
“Put some extra clothes on the floor. Your idea is to make it look like you are naked and engaging in sexual activity, is that correct?”
 
 
“Y... yes...” Is about all Shinji can squeak out before losing his voice momentarily.
 
“Umm… Shinji… did you want give this idea a try?”
 
 
A few moments later, Asuka gets her answer.
 
 
“S... sure... Asuka...” Shinji says uneasily.
 
 
Now that the plan is in motion, Shinji takes a moment to carefully pack away the leftovers from dinner and he puts them in the fridge. Asuka and Rei clean off the table and Pen-Pen heads into his fridge to take a nap, grabbing another beer on the way in. Asuka notices the time and begins to get a little frantic…
 
 
“It's already eight o'clock! We better get ready!” She grabs the CD player and Misato's CD and starts heading towards her room.
 
“I will be finishing my homework in my room... let me know what happens...” Rei says as she takes her leave.
 
“S... sure, Rei. I'll tell you later...” Shinji says to the departing Rei. He hears Asuka call him from the door to her room.
 
“I'm going to get the CD player and CD set up in my room... grab a set of clothes and meet me in my room...”
 
 
Shinji walks into his room and starts to collect his clothes while Asuka is setting everything up in her room. As Shinji is getting his clothes, he realizes what Asuka meant by an "entire set" of clothes...
 
 
`A set of clothes? The would be pants, shirt, socks, and... underwear. That would mean that Asuka will have the same articles out... I'll get to see some of her lingerie…' The Third Child takes a few deep breaths and tries to steel himself for the upcoming task…
 
 
He finishes collecting his clothes and brings them into Asuka's room. He sits down on her bed, placing the bundle of clothes next to him. Asuka is looking through her clothes drawers... he watches her in mute fascination. A moment later, she takes out a pair of pants and throws them to the ground, her new red sweater joins the pants on the floor.
 
 
“Shinji, she could be home any minute, we need to hurry up. Stop sitting there and help me... find me some socks in that drawer!” Asuka says as she points to one of her clothes drawers.
 
 
Shinji walks over to the drawer and opens it up, revealing a mixed collection of socks. Shinji quickly searches for a matching pair. About twenty seconds later, he finds a pair of matching white socks, and turns around, dropping them on the pile of her clothes. His eyes suddenly become fixed on two new items in the pile; his eyes bug out as he looks closer at the pile... a white lace bra with matching bikini-cut panties that he hadn't seen before are on the top. Thoughts start to shoot through his mind at an incredible pace... Asuka notices him staring at the pile and becomes angry...
 
 
“Why are you staring like that!? I put out what I had... I haven't done my laundry for this week... wait a second… you're staring at my lingerie!”
 
Shinji says nothing and responds by becoming light-headed and falling down onto her bed. This causes Asuka to drop her anger and switch to being concerned for Shinji.
 
 
“Shinji… are you okay?”
 
 
The Third Child slowly sits up on the bed. “I... I'm ok.”
 
 
Asuka sits down next to him and puts her arms around him, causing to softly apologize for what just happened.
 
 
“I'm sorry, Asuka...”
 
“It's ok, Shinji. Do you still want to do this? We can try it again another day...”
 
“Asuka... I'm sorry I overreacted. Misato will be home soon, so let's get ready... I want to see this joke through...”
 
 
A soft kiss from Asuka causes Shinji to blush. She follows it up with some words of encouragement for Shinji.
 
 
“Great. I knew you could handle this...” She grabs her clothes pile and starts dropping the clothes on the floor near her bed, adding to the deception. “Now you do the same thing...”
 
 
Slowly, Shinji stands up and makes a similar pile of clothes next to Asuka's.
 
“All done... is the CD ready?”
 
Asuka smiles. “Yep. Turn off the lights and we'll be all set...”
 
 
Shinji flips the light switch and lies down on the bed. Asuka rolls on top of him and pulls the covers over their heads...
 
 
“Just close your eyes and hold me...” Asuka giggles and then whispers something to Shinji, causing him to blush.
 
 
“HEY! I'm not the only who had those kind of thoughts… you had some interesting fantasies about me, too…”
 

Asuka blushes and silently snuggles her head against Shinji's chest. “I know… and I can't hide anything from the past… and neither can you. When she comes in… just pretend a little, okay?”
 
“Asuka… anything for you…”
 
“Thanks…”
 
“No problem! Asuka... what time is it?”
 
Asuka looking at her watch. “Eight twenty five... she should be here any minute. Are you ready, Shin-Chan?”
 
“Yes...”
 
 
All is quiet in the Katsuragi apartment... Pen-Pen is sleeping, and Rei is quietly studying in her room. About seven minutes later, a sliding noise is heard. Misato walks into the apartment. Asuka immediately hears the familiar sound and quickly presses play on the CD player. Misato removes her shoes and begins to walk towards the kitchen, immediately noting the music that is filling the air...
 
 
“That sounds… familiar… mmm… Kaji…”
 
Misato stops walking and soon she's lost in a fantasy of the past. She can almost feel Kaji's voice whispering in her ear as her body moves to the beat…
 
 
“When I get that feeling... I want sexual healing... sexual... healing... oh, baby...”
 
 
After a few twists and turns she mumbles a few words to herself. “Can't get enough of my hips, can you? Kaji…”
 
A smile forms on Misato's face as her fantasy continues… her mind trying to cover the loss from before with this foray into the past. The sound of a moving door in the distance suddenly returns her to reality.
 
“Huh?” She looks over her shoulder. “Pen-Pen?”
 
The penguin softly squawks and returns to his fridge, beer in hand. “Wait a second… I was just with… oh…” Misato's head droops down as she realizes that this is reality… not dancing with her one and only, Kaji.
 
“That music… it's coming from… Asuka's room!”
 
 
Realizing that the kids probably got a hold of her “Pure Sin” CD she rushes over to Asuka's room and presses her ears to the door... she can hear the sounds of movement inside the room...
 
“Oh my God… those two are…”
 
 
A few moments later, Misato hears various things... none of them are good signs... "Shin-Chan... yes... YES!" and then a moment later, "Asuka... ASUKA!"
 
Misato feels the rage build within her... she begins to mutter to herself: "Just as I feared... I gave them an inch and they took a mile... this stops right HERE!"
 
 
An enraged Misato whips the door open and quickly flicks on the light switch. Her eyes are immediately drawn to the floor near the bed where she sees two tops, two pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, a bra, and then ending with boxers and panties next to the bed. Movement continues under the covers... Misato, unable to restrain herself anymore, she heads over to the bed and tears the blanket off of the bed in a hurricane of anger...
 
 
She blinks... expecting to see two naked teenagers on the bed when she opens her eyes again. A moment later, she opens her eyes... and her jaw drops to ground. A fully clothed Asuka and Shinji, locked in a hug, stare at her for a moment. Unable to restrain themselves, Shinji and Asuka break their embrace and start to roll around on the bed, laughing like a bunch of hyenas and smiling like Cheshire cats…
 
 
“H... hh... how... and w... why?” A stunned Misato barely manages to say before lapsing back into shock.
 
“ Because... because you really embarrassed me and Shinji with that... joke of yours.” Asuka says as she turns off the CD player and starts giggling softly. “Got yah…”
 
 
Shinji stifles his laughter and bows his head slightly. ”Sorry Misato… but Asuka and I had to get you back...we told you that we would, remember? Even Rei helped us with this joke!”
 
 
Misato remains speechless, unable to move or stop staring at Shinji and Asuka. Both of them get some measure of control and sit on the bed, hand in hand, and look at each other...
 
 
“You were great, Shin-Chan. She's totally speechless...”
 
“Asuka... this worked out perfectly... we have to thank Rei, too...”
 
Asuka looks at Misato. “Thanks for leaving that CD out, Misato... that song worked wonders... on you!”
 
 
Shinji and Asuka notice a red color spreading all over Misato's face and they cannot help but laugh again…
 
 
“I don't believe that both of you... I mean all three of you worked together on this horrible joke!” Fuming with rage, Misato continues to speak. “You... you...”
 
 
Unable to say anything more, Misato walks out of the room, slamming the door behind her. After she leaves, Shinji begins having some regrets about what they just did…
 
 
“Misato looks really pissed off...”
 
Asuka shrugs her shoulders. “Well... now she knows how we felt after that joke she played on us. We make a wonderful team... if we work together, nothing can stop us.”
 
“That's right, Asuka. What did you want to do now?” Shinji says with a smile.
 
“ Well... she's probably really pissed off right now. We better stay in here for a little while... did you wanna listen to some of my other music?” Asuka says while idly tapping her fingers on her bed.
 
“Yeah... it'll help to pass the time and let her cool down a little…”
 
 
Asuka lets go of Shinji and reaches under her bed, pulling out a box of CD's. She immediately finds the one she is looking for, "Jock Jams Volume 1" and plays it...
 
“This music is called `Rap' and `Hip-Hop'... I hope you like these songs...”
 
 
The song "Get Ready 4 This" begins to play as the two teens sit on the bed, hand in hand, listening to the music...
 
 
Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Misato is sitting down at the table, having already downed three beers and nursing a fourth...
 
 
“How could I have been fooled by...by those kids? Shinji said Rei helped them with this, too. For God's sake, Rei of all people! I must be getting old...” After finishing off her fourth beer, she looks up towards the ceiling. “Why me, Lord? Why me?”
 
 
After getting no response, Misato sighs and puts her head down on the table. She soon falls asleep…
 
 
A little while later, Shinji carefully opens the door to Asuka's room and notices a sleeping Misato in the kitchen. Very quietly, Shinji opens the door. Asuka turns off the CD player and whispers to Shinji…
 
 
“I'm going to pay a surprise visit to Hikari's apartment. I want to see if she's back from her dinner date with the stooge. When I tell her about our joke, I'll tell her to keep it a secret ok?” Shinji nods his head. “I'll be back later...“
 
 
Asuka quietly sneaks out of the apartment and heads over to Hikari's apartment. Shinji tip-toes over to Rei's room, careful not to wake up the snoozing Misato.
 
 
“Rei, can I come in?” Shinji asks from the entrance of the room.
 
“Yes.” Is the answer from inside the room.
 
Shinji walks in a sits down on her bed and Rei asks the “burning” question that has been on her mind since she came into the room.
 
 
“I heard Misato come in, did you and Asuka carry out your practical joke?”
 
A grin forms on Shinji's face. “Yes, we did. It went perfectly... I was a little uncomfortable during the joke, but otherwise I was ok. The look on Misato's face was priceless!”
 
“Really?”
 
“Asuka and I couldn't stop laughing! Thanks for your suggestion, Rei... I don't think it would have worked as well without it...”
 
“I was...” Rei pauses to find the right words to say. “I was... happy to help you and Asuka with this joke, brother.”
 
“Rei, you can call me Shinji if you want to... brother is ok, and so is Ikari... but I would like it if you called me `Shinji', okay? We're family now...”
 
 
A warm, happy feeling passes through Rei's body after Shinji's comment and she starts to crack a smile. “All right... Sh... Shinji.”
 
Shinji smiles at Rei and notices a deck of playing cards that are sitting on her drawer. “Rei... is that a deck of cards?”
 
“Yes. I found the deck when I first moved into my old apartment. I know there are games associated with the cards... but I never learned any of them. Could you teach me some card games?”
 
“Sure... no problem, Rei! I don't know very many games, but I guess we could start with a game called `Blackjack.'”
 
 
Rei hands Shinji the deck of cards and he takes them out and begins to shuffle them.
 
 
“This is how you play...”
 
“Okay... Shinji...”
 
 
Shinji and Rei spend time together, learning how to play different card games... Asuka, in the meantime, has arrived at Hikari's apartment. Hikari is sitting on her bed while Asuka is sitting on the floor. After some small talk, Asuka can contain herself no more...
 
 
“You would not believe what Shinji and I just pulled... the joke of the century on Misato! Even Rei gave us a hand with this one... it was funny as hell!”
 
“Rei helped you out? Well... that surprises me a little... but tell me what you did!” Hikari says, wanting to know more.
 
 
Asuka relays the entire story to Hikari, including the original incident that sparked the revenge joke. When Asuka finishes the story, Hikari's jaw drops...
 
“You did all of that? And Shinji was a gentleman throughout the whole thing?”
 
“Well... he did come up with that `under the covers' idea, and he also bugged out when he saw my lingerie on that clothes pile... but other than that, he was very nice and caring. We really pulled a fast one!” Asuka chuckles. “Don't tell anyone else about this, ok?”
 
“Of course.” Hikari sighs aloud. “If Toji and I tried that joke on someone... I don't know what would happen...”
 
Asuka is quick to answer that one. “I think I do. That stooge probably couldn't resist touching you or doing something perverted...”
 
“Asuka! You don't know him like I do! I told you before that he has a compassionate side... I don't think he would try anything...” Hikari says while curbing her anger at that last statement. `Why can't Asuka give him a break?'
 
 
“Are you sure about that Hikari… but anyways… speaking of Toji... how was your dinner date? It must have been good if you're defending the guy...” Asuka says, trying to press Hikari for more information.
 
“I'm sure he'd be under control… and as for our date... well... it was fun. That ramen place you told me about was good... he paid for the meal... I had good time and so did he.”
 
“Go on… tell me more... I wanna know what else you did on this date...”
 
Hikari blushes. “Well... we talked about school and stuff... but then we started talking about us. What I mean is... we talked about our past relationship and why we never got anything together until now. Toji was very honest and caring...”
 
“Oh really...” Is the lackluster response from Asuka.
 
“Yes, he was. Asuka, people had the wrong impression about you until just recently... when you showed that you have a compassionate side, at least towards some people...” A defensive Hikari says back on return.
 
Asuka cannot help but be stunned. “Ummm... yeah, I guess.” After a short pause, Asuka continues. “Hikari... I'm... I'm sorry. I hate to admit it... but he's like me... we both have two sides...”
 
A cheerful expression returns to Hikari's face. “Don't worry about it, Asuka. Just try to be a little more understanding about him, ok? You try to see his other side, and I'll try to get him to do the same for you, ok?”
 
“Sure... I'll try.” Asuka's mood perks up. “Hikari... you're a real friend. Thanks for putting up with me...”
 
“No problem. Thank you, Asuka, for being there for me to talk to. Not many people talk to me because of my position and demeanor in the classroom.”
 
“I'm glad I have you as a friend...” A glance at her watch tells Asuka that it's getting late. “Hikari, it's ten forty. I better get back, so I don't get into any more trouble, in case Misato is awake.”
 
“Okay, call me tomorrow, all right? Let me know how she deals with the joke...”
 
“Sure.” Asuka stands up. “I'll call you after lunch tomorrow, bye!”
 
 
As Asuka walks out of Hikari's room, the class rep says goodbye and stretches out on her bed. `What a night… Asuka and Shinji… those two are getting close if they can pull stuff like that without going too far… I bet Misato will never let them hear the end of that one…'
 
 
Asuka leaves the apartment and heads home. Quietly, she enters the apartment. Voices appear to be coming from the right, so Asuka heads towards Rei's room.
 
 
“Shinji, Rei, are you guys still up?” Asuka says as she peeks her head in the door.
 
“Yes. Shinji is teaching me how to play blackjack...”
 
“Rei... you just called him Shinji and not Ikari... am I hearing things?” Asuka asks, making sure that she heard right.
 
“Shinji asked me to call him by his first name, since we are family now...” Rei says happily, liking the sound of that last part especially.
 
“Yes, we are.” Shinji says, reaffirming the thought.
 
Asuka yawns. “That's nice to hear… now you both have a new sibling. I'm going to bed... all that planning and stuff we did today made me tired...”
 
“Rei, I'm starting to get tired myself. Do you want to play some more blackjack tomorrow? Maybe Asuka will join us for a game or two...” Shinji says as he stifles a yawn.
 
“That sounds good...”
 
“Good night, Rei.” Asuka says sleepily.
 
“See you in the morning. Good night, Rei.”
 
“Good night Shinji, Asuka. Could you turn off the lights for me?”
 
“Sure.”
 
Shinji flips the light switch and then he leaves the room with Asuka. The two are soon back into the main apartment, just as Rei falls asleep in her room. When the teens near the kitchen, the two walking pace slows down in order not to wake up Misato.
 
“Shinji, did you turn off the lights?” Asuka says in a whisper.
 
Shinji shakes his head. “No. Maybe Misato went to bed and turned off the lights...”
 
“I hope so...”
 
 
In the darkness of the kitchen, Misato quietly waits... ready to strike as soon as the couple walks by. Pen-Pen is waiting silently by the light switch. A moment later, Shinji and Asuka continue down the hall into the kitchen, where Misato suddenly jumps out and grabs them and holds them in a tight bear hug.
 
 
“Pen-Pen, lights!”
 
Pen-Pen flicks the light switch, once again illuminating the kitchen. “You two were VERY bad today!” Misato says in a scolding tone of voice. Shinji and Asuka try to escape, but Misato does not let them go.
 
“Look at me!”
 
Asuka and Shinji slowly turn their faces towards their enraged guardian. “I only have one thing to say to you...”
 
Both teens gulp and prepare for a verbal onslaught... and are surprised to see Misato wink.
 
“Good one! You two scared the living daylights out of me! Let's call it even... okay?”
 
All a stunned Asuka can manage to say is “S... sure...”
 
“O... okay... we're even…” Is Shinji's response.
 
“One more thing before I let you go...” Misato's voice gets very soft and the two teens focus in on what Misato is about to say. “Thank you for letting me be your mother...”
 
 
Misato starts to cry. “I love you both, you two are like my children... and you both help fill the emptiness in my heart. Thank you...”
 
 
Asuka and Shinji are totally speechless at this sudden display of emotions on Misato's part. Neither one speaks for several seconds...
 
“Umm... no problem...”
 
“Yeah... no problem...” Asuka says, mirroring Shinji's words. She looks at Shinji and shrugs as if to ask, "What else can you say?"
 
 
Misato begins to shake... and lets go of Asuka and Shinji. She starts to stagger towards her room... and nearly stumbles to the ground.
 
“Misato! Let us help you...” Shinji says as he rushes up to help his guardian back to her feet.
 
 
Shinji and Asuka help Misato into her room... she lays down and immediately falls asleep. Pen-Pen returns to his fridge and goes to sleep. After putting a blanket over Misato, the couple heads back to Asuka's room...
 
 
“Well... we got lucky tonight... she got herself drunk.” Asuka cannot help but yawn again. “I'm going to bed...”
 
 
Asuka pulls Shinji into a loving embrace and he whispers something into her ear…
 
“Good night, my Angel.” Feeling bold, Shinji then gives the speechless and blushing Asuka a goodnight kiss.
 
 
The couple held each other close for a few minutes, letting their embrace convey their feelings for one another... until Asuka starts to nod off…
 
“Asuka, I'm going to bed...” He says as he gently releases the girl. He turns around and walks away… but doesn't get far before feeling a pull on his right arm.
 
“Would you help me pick up this mess? Then you can take your clothes back to your room...” Asuka says sweetly.
 
“Sure, Asuka...” A blushing Shinji replies back.
 
 
The two teens quickly pick up the clothes off of the floor, making two piles on her bed. As they move closer to the bed, Shinji picks up some of her clothes by accident. Before he can put them down, he realizes that one of the things he has picked up off of the floor is her bra…
 
“What are you doing with my bra?” Asuka asks as she begins to flailing her arms around. “Put it down right now!” A stern Asuka says, not feeling comfortable with him touching her lingerie…
 
“Umm... Asuka?” Shinji says back, noticing something in Asuka's hands…
 
“What?” An irritated Asuka responds back.
 
“You're... umm... holding my boxers...”
 
 
Asuka looks down and her face goes several shades of red...
 
“Umm... I... I mean...”
 
 
She drops his underwear on the pile as he does the same thing... then both of them share a nervous look at each other...
 
“Umm... good night, Asuka...”
 
“Good night, Shin-Chan...”
 
 
Shinji heads back to his room and quickly puts his clothes away... and lies down on his bed. His mind immediately drifts to thoughts of Asuka...
 
`What a day...so much happened. Asuka and I pulled off that joke...' His thoughts drift to all of the times that he held Asuka in his arms today.
 
`Asuka… what a beautiful woman... she's so special... and so warm and loving. She was so surprised when I took the initiative and kissed her good night. I'm so glad I got a chance to know her and live a real life...'
 
 
After that, Shinji drifts off to sleep, and begins to dream of Asuka. A similar situation is the case over in Asuka's room after she puts her clothes back in their proper drawers… she stretches out on her bed and thinks about Shinji…
 
 
`What a day... thinking of that joke and then making it happen! That was so sweet! Rei even added to the shock value of the joke... I wasn't expecting that to happen. Shinji was so nice and romantic today... and didn't try anything... he really is different from his friends. It was so nice to have him kiss me for once... and holding him all of those times today- that was nice. That song he played for me earlier today was perfect... he really knows how to pick 'em for me...'
 
An exhausted Asuka falls asleep and dreams of Shinji.
 
 
A new day and a new week soon are upon the Katsuragi household. Misato surprisingly doesn't hold a grudge against the three pilots... and actually trusts Shinji and Asuka more because of this incident. Her thinking is... `If they can spend all of that time together and do all of those things and not give in, then maybe I can trust them a lot more. Asuka did mention to me that he was a gentleman and didn't try to pull anything perverted. I'll still watch them, but give 'em some more leeway...'
 
 
The week and the following weekend fly by without incident. Monday, November 21st, on the other hand, is anything but normal...
 
To be continued in Chapter 14: November Rain
 
 
There it is… let me know if this is better then the original with your review. I'm on vacation until Sunday night, so I won't be starting on the next brand new chapter 35 until I get back, look for that before Thanksgiving. Peace out until next time!