Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 14: November Rain ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14: November Rain
 
 
First of all, there is a brand spanking new chapter 36 (Week 2) up on mediaminer and fan-fics-r-us: check out the links in my profile if you're not sure of the websites full address.
 
 
On the last chapter, on some of the reviews, I got some comments about the apparent insensitivity of the others towards Kensuke. Upon looking at the chapter, I agree… there should be some acknowledgement of his feelings about what's going on by his friends, at least the observant ones- that will be a major change in this chapter and in the next one. I've also added many details to the chapter and given the minor, possibly one-shot characters name and a more defined personality as well.
 
 
 
Time continues to flow forward... sometimes things move faster than realized. Shinji, Asuka and Rei can easily attest to how fast time flies, even though there are periods where things seem to move at a snails pace. For their first full week of school came, although class time moved slowly, other things flew by. Looking back on all that happened took some doing on their part, not surprisingly; there were some parts that really stood out while other things could not be recalled at all.
 
 
On Monday, November 16th, besides it being the first day of school for the week... it was also the beginning of practice for the various teams at the school. Asuka, Rei, and Hikari had all signed up for the swim team and for the tennis team. To make it more interesting, the students are paired into random teams for tennis by the coach... so Asuka and Rei end up paired together.
 
 
 
Later that day, at the outdoor pool, Asuka's competitiveness kicked in at full force and she challenges Rei to a race. Rei accepted, knowing Asuka well enough to take the challenge, rather than shrug it off and risk more comments and intimidation. A few minutes later, they're off... both girls tried their hardest to win, but Rei won in a very close race. Much to the surprise of all of the other fellow swim team members, Asuka just shrugs and says "Good race, Rei... I'll have to race you again. Next time I'll win!"
 
 
In the meantime, the three "stooges": Shinji, Toji, and Kensuke all join the track team and the basketball team. Shinji joins because he discovered earlier in his race with Asuka, that he is quite fast. Toji and Kensuke's reasons for joining are less than noble, however. Both want to train and become faster, so they can challenge Asuka to a rematch at a future date. After school, Shinji takes some time to show Rei some more card games and she begins to get really good...
 
 
 
Things changed on Tuesday, November 17th, as it was the first day of a four-day rainstorm that plagues the entire country of Japan... all outdoor activities were cancelled. This brought about another day of tedium in the classroom. At lunchtime, Hikari digs out a lunch bag for Toji, much to his surprise...
 
 
“For... for me?” The nervous Fourth Child says as she gently pushes the bento across the desk.
 
Hikari blushes. “Y... yeah. You wanna each lunch together?”
 
“Sure.”
 
 
Toji and Hikari sit down on the floor, and Hikari wraps her arm around Toji and hands him the lunch... Asuka notices and whispers to Shinji, who is getting out two lunch bags out of his backpack...
 
 
“So... Hikari has made her move on the `stooge'... I gotta see this...”
 
“Asuka...” Shinji says with a sigh, knowing that something is about to happen…
 
“You're coming with me!” She grabs Shinji and drags him across the classroom, to where Hikari and Toji are eating lunch. Asuka then addresses Hikari.
 
“So... you decided to win him over with your cooking, huh? Good idea. Men love it when you cook for them...”
 
 
 
Toji speaks up before Hikari can respond. “Well, if that's the case, why is Shinji cooking and making lunch all of the time? Don't YOU know how to cook?”
 
 
Asuka starts to fume... Shinji, noticing the look on her face, quickly puts his hands on her shoulders and leads her a couple of feet away, as he begins to whisper in her ear...
 
 
“Asuka... I can show you how to cook if you want me to. Besides, don't get angry with him, he's just playing around...”
 
Mentally Asuka tries to cool down and talks in a near whisper to Shinji. “I... I guess. I did promise Hikari that I would try and understand him...”
 
 
At the same time Shinji is trying to calm Asuka down, Hikari gives Toji a stern look and speaks a few words to him...
 
“Toji! Remember our agreement! Otherwise, I may not want to go out on Friday night...” She says, with a hint of anger in her voice, causing her boyfriend to stutter.
 
“But... but...” He sighs aloud. “Oh, all right! Geez... why you gotta be so tough on me?”
 
Hikari smiles sweetly. “Because... I'm doing this for your own good... and because I care for you...”
 
 
That comment makes Toji smile… and at that same moment, Asuka and Shinji return...
 
“Aww...” Asuka says with mock sweetness.
 
“Asuka!” Hikari says, seeing her hard work going down the drain if Toji gets angry again.
 
“Just kidding! Now, why don't we all eat lunch together! Shinji, get our lunches!” While saying that last part, Asuka gives her boyfriend a pat on the shoulder.
 
 
Shinji shakes his head and goes back to his seat, opening his bag to get the lunches out for him and Asuka. When he then returns to the group they eat lunch together. Kensuke notices this whole episode while he is eating and remarks out loud, "They're whipped..." Rei notices and makes a response...
 
“I do not believe so. Shinji and Asuka genuinely care for another, and it appears that Hikari and Toji are developing that kind of affection as well...”
 
Kensuke returns to eating his lunch and mumbles a few words to himself… he doesn't believe Rei at all. `If they weren't whipped, they'd at least spend some time with me… or at least talk to me at lunch… geez… the only one even speaking with me is Rei…'
 
 
The day continues on without incident... or at least no one remembers an incident.
 
 
On Wednesday, November 18th the teens have another day of lectures and indoor gym, since the rain continues to come down... Asuka and Shinji are both terribly bored with the teacher's lecture.
 
 
Wednesday and Thursday come and go, and soon it is Friday. At the end of gym class, the gym teacher makes an announcement...
 
 
“Due to the fact that a majority of students have not returned as of yet, I have decided to have the girls swim team members be cheerleaders for our basketball team...”
 
 
A few mumbles are heard in the crowd... Asuka starts to complain to Hikari, who is sitting next to her...
 
“Cheerleaders? This guy must be nuts!”
 
Hikari has different views on the idea. “Oh come on Asuka... I think it'll be fun! Have you ever done cheerleading before?”
 
Asuka folds her arms across her chest. “No but...”
 
“I haven't either... but look at the bright side. You can be at the game with Shinji, cheering him on, and I can...” She pauses to giggle. “Cheer for Toji! This will be great!”
 
“I guess... but the uniforms better look nice…”
 
 
The class is about to break up and head home, when the gym teacher makes one last announcement...
 
 
“Will the members of the girls swim team please report to the girls' locker room for cheerleader outfit fittings...”
 
Asuka is very pissed off because of what she just heard. “Now? But it's Friday and I wanna get out of here!”
 
“Come on, Asuka, let's go and get this over with, okay?” Hikari says while nodding her head in the direction of the locker room.
 
“Fine, fine, let's go...”
 
 
Hikari and Asuka join the rest of their teammates to get fitted for their outfits. At the fitting session, they run into Rei. Asuka was somewhat pleased with getting a choice of colors for her outfit; she picked yellow and Hikari picked light blue.
 
 
After putting the uniform in question on, Asuka models it in the mirror. “This isn't too bad... right, Hikari?” She tugs at the uniform and giggles. “It certainly shows off my curves…”
 
 
The class rep walks over to the mirror and stares at herself. `I guess Asuka's right… it kinda does show off my body but its still tasteful. I do want Toji to notice me more anyways…'
 
 
Asuka notices that Hikari is spacing out and nudges her friend.
 
“So, what do you think?”
 
“They look fine to me…” The class rep grins. “Just think what Shinji will think...”
 
Asuka blushes. “Umm... yeah. Toji will be staring at you, too...”
 
 
Rei walks over towards the mirror and Hikari notices that she's also dressed in a cheerleader uniform, dark blue in color. Both Asuka and Hikari almost do a double take- this is a very different look from the Rei of old…
 
 
“Nice uniform Rei…” Hikari says after recovering.
 
Asuka takes another glance at Rei. “Not bad, not bad at all Rei…”
 
“Thank you. I was asked if I could pass out `Gatorade' to the players during the game, and to hand out towels as well... but I was still required to put on this uniform.”
 
“You get the `easy' job...” Asuka says with a chuckle.
 
“It will require some work; I do not think it is easy...”
 
Asuka sighs. “I was just joking, Rei...”
 
Rei is surprised. “Oh... a joke...” She cracks a small smile and wonders if she will ever get this “humor” concept.
 
“Yeah... now let's get changed and get out of here! I'm sure all of the guys are waiting for us outside, wondering why we're taking so long...” Hikari says with a hint of urgency in her voice.
 
 
 
Rei, Asuka, and Hikari change into their regular clothes and head out to the front of the school. On the way out, Asuka decides to tease Rei a little.
 
 
“Who knows… maybe even Rei here will get a boyfriend… the boy's won't be able to stop looking at her…”
“Asuka…” Rei blushes. “Perhaps…”
 
Hikari shakes her head and as the three girls reach the front doors of the school, Rei cannot help but wonder what having a boyfriend would feel like…
 
 
In the front of the school, Toji and Shinji are waiting impatiently for the girls… and are also curious about their new looks…
 
 
“What took you three so long? We've been out here for almost twenty minutes!” Toji says, slightly annoyed.
 
Asuka cannot help but become a little agitated. “We had to pick out and try on cheerleader outfits, that takes some time, you know!”
 
 
Toji says nothing back to Asuka but whispers to Shinji. “I bet you can't wait to see Asuka in her outfit...”
 
Shinji blushes and then whispers back. “Umm... yeah... but what about Hikari? Huh?” He then nudges Toji with his elbow.
 
Hikari looks around and notices that one of the “stooges” is missing. “Where's Kensuke? I thought he would be here with you two...”
 
“He left right after school... something about a military program on TV...”
 
“Oh okay.“
 
All five classmates begin to walk towards home… on the way, Hikari thinks about what's going on. `I hope Kensuke will be okay… it's not like him to skip out on hanging out with the other two…'
 
 
“Rei, did you have to be a cheerleader?” Shinji asks, concerned about his sister.
 
“No. I was asked to pass out Gatorade and hand out towels.”
 
“Soooo... you get to check out all of the guys, huh?” Toji says jokingly to Rei.
 
 
Hikari punches Toji in the arm... hard.
 
“Oww! Hikari! I was only kidding...” He says as he rubs his arm. Toji turns and looks at Rei. “You know that was a joke, right?”
 
 
Rei turns and looks at him- and since she knows now how to deal with a joke, responds with a small smile... causing Toji to go into shock.
 
“She... she smiled at me!”
 
Shinji bops Toji on the head and sighs aloud. “Relax, Toji... Rei is trying to be more outgoing here, don't make fun of her...”
 
”Thank you, brother...” A nodding Rei says back, happy about Shinji and his watching out for her. `He is imitating what I read about having a sibling… and it makes me feel good to know there's someone really looking out for me…'
 
 
Toji and Hikari do a double take and look at Rei, their faces registering a look of surprise...
 
“B... brother?” Hikari says, making sure she heard right.
 
Asuka shrugs her shoulders. “I guess the cat's out of the bag...”
 
“Shinji's your brother, Rei?” A confused Toji asks.
 
Rei nods her head. “Yes, he is.”
 
 
Toji reaches over and pulls Shinji into a headlock. “Why didn't you tell us?”
 
“Umm... umm... I just found out a few weeks ago myself... “ Shinji says, not sure of exactly what to say.
 
Hikari looks at Asuka. “Why didn't you tell me?”
 
 
This catches Asuka off guard and she rapidly tries to come up with an answer. “Umm... I don't know... I guess it slipped our minds to tell you two, right Shinji?”
 
Shinji frees himself of the headlock and apologizes. “Y... yeah. Sorry we didn't tell you two sooner.”
 
Shaking her head, Hikari reacts with a smile. “That's ok, don't worry about it...”
 
“Well... that's cool. I wish I could have my sister with me, but she's still recovering from her injuries...” The Fourth Child says with a soft sigh.
 
 
Hikari gently grabs Toji's hand and holds it as they continue to walk, and Asuka starts to think to herself... `Hmmm... maybe I did misjudge this guy. He seems to have a compassionate side like Hikari keeps telling me, I could give him a chance... and he called me "Asuka"... definitely a good sign...'
 
 
A short while later, they reach Hikari's apartment... where the group part ways.
 
“I'm going to change and then Toji and I are going out for dinner. We'll see you guys later!”
 
“Yeah, take it easy.”
 
 
After saying goodbye, Asuka, Rei, and Shinji continue back home... where Misato is waiting for them in the kitchen...
 
“So you guys finally got home!” She reaches out and grabs Shinji and with a smirk says- “We're going shopping together!”
 
Shinji has a sweatdrop at the thought of shopping with Misato… alone…
 
“Only you and Shinji? What about me?” Asuka says with a pout.
 
“Think of this as a chance to spend some quality time with Rei. I know you two wanted to better acquainted... and besides, Shinji needs some new clothes. You and I have done enough shopping lately... this trip is just for Shinji and I… I need to spend time with him, too…”
 
“Misato!”
 
“Relax Asuka… we'll go out to eat when I come back. You got a formal dress, and I think my "son" should have a nice suit, okay?”
 
`I think she's taking this "mom" thing too far... but I guess I can go along with it.' Shinji clears his throat. “I guess so. Asuka, you got a nice dress, so I need something formal... so we can look great together...”
 
Misato smiles. “Exactly what I was thinking...”
 
 
After a momentary debate, Asuka decides not to protest and to go along with Misato's plan. She pulls Shinji into a hug. “It's okay with me… I'm glad you're thinking about us. Go ahead... and we'll have some fun when you get back...”
 
 
“Sounds good Asuka.”
 
Asuka kisses him on the cheek then lets go of him. Misato decides not to wait any longer and begins dragging Shinji towards door. “Come on, Casanova, let's go...”
 
 
After Shinji and Misato leave, Asuka starts to get bored immediately... she turns and looks at Rei.
 
“Well... what did you want to do, Rei?”
 
“We could play some card games... Shinji and I have been playing a lot lately. He says that I have become quite skilled...”
 
“Hmm... that sounds ok. Get your deck of cards and we'll play some poker!”
 
“I do not know how to play that card game...”
 
“What? Shinji didn't show you how to play poker?” The Second Child shakes her head and sighs. “I guess I'll have to teach you how to play...”
 
“I would like that...”
 
 
Rei walks out of the room and gets the deck of playing cards from her room, then returns. Asuka shows Rei how to play poker... and the two continue to play as Misato drags Shinji to a store called the "Men's Warehouse" in downtown Tokyo-3...
 
 
At the store, Shinji is trying his best to get this done and over with, so he can go home and be with Asuka and Rei...
 
 
After getting dressed in this latest suggestion of Misato's, the now exhausted Shinji walks out of the dressing room wearing a yellow suit jacket, yellow pants, dark green dress shirt, and a red tie.
 
“How about this, Misato?”
 
After glancing at Shinji's outfit, Misato cannot help but comment: “Looks pretty sharp! I'm sure Asuka will be impressed...”
 
“Y... yeah... okay… we're done now, right?”
 
“I guess... though I do want to pick up a camera and film at that electronics store on the way back...”
 
“Why are you chuckling like that?” Shinji looks at Misato. “I know you're up to something...”
 
Misato answers that with a wink. “You'll find out later...”
 
 
Shinji changes back into his regular clothes and Misato pays for the outfit. They head home, stopping only to buy a new camera and some film. When they arrive back at the apartment, they find Asuka and Rei playing poker...
 
“We're back!” Shinji says while walking into the kitchen.
 
Misato soon follows, carrying Shinji's suit and two bags. “Asuka, Rei! Let's go! I'm starving!”
 
 
Misato hands the clothes to Shinji, who puts them away quickly. Rei, Asuka, Misato, and Shinji go out for dinner… when they come back, all of them, including Pen-Pen, play poker together for several hours. At the end of the evening, Pen-Pen and Asuka vie for first place... and Asuka wins the last hand. Disgusted, Pen-Pen grabs a beer out of the fridge and retires to his fridge for the night. After the game is finished, everyone turns in for the night and soon it is Saturday, November the 21st.
 
 
Everyone sleeps in at the Katsuragi apartment... around 9 A.M.; Shinji is the first one to wake up. He walks into the kitchen and starts to set up a basic breakfast of cereal, toast, juice, and tea for everyone. Soon, the aromas of the toast and the tea begins to waft through the apartment, drawing the sleepy inhabitants to the kitchen...
 
“You made breakfast for all of us? That's so nice…” Misato says with a yawn.
 
Asuka sits down at the table and looks at her boyfriend. “Looks great, Shinji...” Without a second to lose, she digs in and begins eating her cereal.
 
 
Pen-Pen comes out of his fridge, hops up into an empty chair at the table, and begins to eat. Rei and Misato sit down and begin to join Asuka in eating breakfast...
 
Rei begins eating her toast and cannot help but praise her brother. “Very good, Shinji...”
 
Shinji sits down and partakes of breakfast. “Thanks... it was nothing. Misato, what were you going to do with that camera? You never told me...”
 
This gets Asuka's attention immediately. “What camera?”
A grinning Misato answers the question without a moments' hesitation. “Asuka, I picked one up on the way back from that little shopping trip Shinji and I went on yesterday. When all of you are finished eating, I want all of you to wear your school clothes...”
 
Asuka immediately protests. “What for? It's Saturday for goodness sake!”
 
“What for, Misato?” Rei asks, also curious about this unusual request.
 
 
With a chuckle, Misato answers that question. “I want a picture of my three "children" in their school uniforms... I was thinking about starting a family album with pictures of all of us, together...”
 
“Can't this wait until Monday, like after school?” Asuka says, not really wanting to get dressed up just for a picture.
 
 
Misato debates that point audibly. “Well, I could... but I wanted to spend some time with all of you, since I have today off. Shinji and Asuka can show me that hill that you two visit all of the time...”
 
“But that's our special place!” Asuka says, not believing all of these requests that Misato's making. `What's next?'
 
“Oh, come on... I wanna see where you and Shinji go all of the time. Rei can see where it is, too... think of it as a family outing...” Misato says with a mock pout.
 
 
Silence fills the room as Rei and Shinji wisely say nothing and let Asuka think this out for herself. `She's really taking this "mom" thing seriously... I guess we can do this... maybe I can get her to take some pictures of Shinji and I...'
 
 
With a soft sigh, a resigned Asuka says simply- “Fine, fine... we'll do it...”
 
Shinji agrees. “Yeah, sounds good.”
 
 
To make sure all parties are good on this point, Misato turns her attention to Rei. “Is that okay with you, Rei?”
 
“Y... yes. No one has taken my picture before; I would like a picture of myself...” Rei says in return while cracking a small smile.
 
 
 
Upon hearing that, Misato nods her head. “It's settled, then. Finish eating and we'll go and have some fun together!” She looks down at her pet penguin. “You want to come, Pen-Pen?”
 
Pen-Pen shakes his head and lets out a “SQUAWK!”.
 
“Oh… so you're still tired?” Pen-Pen nods and Misato continues. “That's ok... I'll take your picture when I get back...”
 
 
Time passes and soon, everyone is finished eating breakfast. Misato grabs her new camera and film. After Asuka, Rei, and Shinji change into their school clothes, Shinji leads the way to the special hill that he and Asuka visit all of the time. After a brisk walk, all of them arrive at the top of the hill and lie down, watching the clouds go by...
 
 
Rei takes notice of the surroundings and comments to Misato- “This seems to be a tranquil place...”
 
 
 
“I agree, Rei. Nice view, and it's pretty quiet.” She turns and looks at Shinji. “Soooo, what did you and Asuka do here last time? Nothing naughty I hope…”
 
 
After hearing that and seeing Misato wink at him, Shinji cannot help but blush and stammer out a response. “Ummm... Asuka and I talked and enjoyed the view... that's about it...”
 
“Y... yeah. This is a good place to get away from it all...” Asuka says truthfully. `Shinji and I haven't done THAT much… geez…'
 
 
Satisfied by their responses and knowing that these two hadn't really gotten ultra close yet, Misato looks up at the sky and remembers something about today… it was a special day…
 
“Today... was Ritsuko's birthday. She would have been thirty one today...”
 
“Whatever happened to her? Did my father keep her in prison?” A curious Shinji asks.
 
“I don't know, Shinji... but it seems to me that she's totally disappeared, without a trace. I have a bad feeling about this…” Misato says with a hint of sadness in her voice.
 
Asuka has a more skeptical view. “How could someone just disappear, especially someone with her talents... it just doesn't make sense to me...”
 
 
Rei has a feeling deep inside her mind... a feeling that she has some knowledge about what happened to Ritsuko. Every attempt to try and remember something related to feeling, however, comes up blank...
 
 
“Commander Ikari may be involved in this, though I cannot prove that theory. People have been removed from NERV and never seen again...”
 
Misato agrees. “After all that I've seen in the records, I would agree.” She suddenly gets very somber and quiet. “K... Kaji's body was never recovered from headquarters... b... but I was told by Section Two that he was killed...”
 
 
Misato begins to softly sob to herself. The three teens see this and move closer to Misato- Shinji and Asuka put a supportive hand on each one of her shoulders and try to comfort their guardian.
 
 
“Misato... we're here for you. All of us...” Shinji says softly.
 
Asuka nods her head. “Yeah...”
 
 
At this moment, Rei begins to realize how truly important family can be... and how much losing someone close to you can hurt, as shown by Misato's reaction now, and in the past...
 
Rei tries to find the right words to say for this moment. “I... I... will be here for you as well. You have taken me into your household and have been extra kind and helpful to me...”
 

After hearing the words of comfort from her three charges, Misato begins to wipe the tears from her eyes. “T... Thank you, Rei. Asuka and Shinji... I don't know what I would do with out you two. All four of will get through this, together...”
 
 
Misato smiles, and then looks around at all three of her "children", to let them know that she will be ok. For almost a minute, there is total silence. Misato grabs her camera and loads the film into it and then stands up…
 
“Are you three ready? I got lots of film to burn here...”
 
 
Rei and Asuka move closer to Shinji and look up at Misato...
 
“Okay, go ahead...” Asuka says with a smile.
 
“Okay everyone... smile!” Misato says while moving her finger over the shutter release button.
 
All three of them smile as Misato snaps a perfect picture...
 
 
“That was perfect!” After saying that, Misato pulls a small piece of paper out of her pocket and opens it up. She quickly scans it and then folds it back up, returning it to her pocket. “Okay! Now I want pictures of each one of you by yourselves, then a picture of the two lovebirds together, brother and sister, and a picture of Asuka and Rei together...”
 
 
“Fine... and then, when you're done...” Asuka changes her tone of voice to sound very sweet. “Can you take some pictures of Shin-chan and me? Please?”
 
“Why not?”
 
Misato continues her photo spree, beginning with the pictures of the pilots by themselves. When those are done, she starts with the group picture of Asuka and Shinji, who sit next to each other and smile, hand in hand. Asuka gets up and Rei sits down next to Shinji...
 
 
“You two scoot a bit closer...”
 
After Misato says that, Shinji and Rei move closer to each other. “Smile!”
 
Rei lowers her head onto Shinji's shoulder. “Is this good, Shinji?”
 
“Y... yeah, Rei.” Is the nervous reply back. He puts his left arm around her and then both look at Misato.
 
“Aww... how cute.” Misato says as she quickly snaps the picture. “Asuka, your turn. Get over here and sit next to Rei...”
 
Asuka grits her teeth. “Yeah, yeah...” Shinji notices this and gets up- Asuka sits down next to Rei.
 
Upon seeing this, Misato wags a finger at Asuka teasingly. “Someone is a little bit jealous... I thought you had already gotten over this...”
 
“Hmmph...” Asuka says as she folds her arms.
 
 
Shinji notices the situation, and knowing Asuka as well as he does, sees an argument about to erupt. Quickly, he puts his hands on her shoulders and begins to whisper in her ear...
 
 
“Asuka... please relax. Rei is my sister and she cares for me, just like you do. Forget about what happened between you two... and try to make a fresh start, okay? Asuka, you will always be my angel...”
 
That last line by Shinji causes Asuka to blush. She turns around and speaks softly to Shinji.
 
“Okay... I'll try to get over my jealousy...” She turns and faces Misato. “All right, let's take this picture...”
 
Misato smiles. “Good, I'm glad Shinji could talk some sense into you...” She starts to focus her camera on Asuka and Rei. “Smile!”
 
 
A moment later, a snapping sound is heard as Misato takes the picture.
 
“Okay... that's over with... take pictures of Shinji and me now!” Asuka says, eager to be in more pictures but with her and Shinji alone.
 
Misato decides to mess with Asuka a little. But I already got a picture of you two...”
 
“Now hold on a second here… you just told me you would take some more pictures of Shinji and me! I want a picture that shows how much we care for each other...” She turns around and motions Shinji to sit down next to her, which he promptly does. “Right, Shinji?”
 
“Y... yes.” The blushing Third Child says as he wraps his arms around Asuka and pulls her closer to him, causing her to snuggle against his chest.
 
 
While looking through the viewfinder, Misato sees the two teens look at her, smiles on their faces. She snaps a picture and comments on what she seeing. “You two are such a cute couple...”
 
Asuka blushes. “Yes, we are...”
 
 
Misato, Shinji, Rei, and Asuka remain at the hill for a little while longer, talking amongst themselves. Around 1 P.M., they head home and relax. Misato relaxes with a beer; Shinji decides to watch TV with Asuka and Rei. Elsewhere in Japan, other major events are about transpire. A woman has finally tracked down her prey...
 
 
In northern Japan, Ritsuko Akagi, typing furiously away at the keyboard of her computer, has located the hacker who was delving into the deep secrets of the MAGI computer system... and is already formulating a plan on how to deal with this person.
 
 
“Hmm... that's where this hacker is. He or she is really skilled, I don't believe how long they were able to elude me. I'll have to check this out... but it'll have to wait until tonight, after my birthday party.”
 
Ritsuko turns her attention away from the computer screen and looks at her cat, which is sitting on the floor next to the computer. “Right, Luna?”
 
The black cat meows in response and hops onto the former head scientists' lap. Approaching footsteps are heard as Ritsuko's grandmother, Midori.
 
 
“Are you still on that computer? It seems like you've been on it night and day ever since you got here...”
 
“I know... but I finally found what I've been looking for...” Is the soft reply back.
 
“That's good. Your aunt and uncle will be over here shortly, and then we'll start the party! Unfortunately, your other relatives couldn't make it, so they will be sending you cards in the mail...”
 
Ritsuko nods her head. “That's ok, I'm sure that the party will still be fine. I'm sure you have a wonderful cake baked for me... just like the last time I was here...”
 
Midori smiles. “Of course! While you've been slaving away on that computer today, I've been in the kitchen, getting everything ready. You'll have fun today, guaranteed...”
 
“I hope so... it's been a while since I've truly let go and enjoyed myself...” The brunette scientist says, hoping today will be just as fun as her grandmother is implying.
 
“It most certainly has. Now get off that damn computer and help me out, I have a few more things to prepare in the kitchen, and I could use a hand...”
 
“Yes, grandma...”
 
 
Ritsuko and her grandmother head into the kitchen to put some finishing touches on her birthday dinner. A short while later, her aunt and uncle arrive. The party is soon underway, and everyone present has a good time reminiscing and talking about their lives and what is happening to them now. Ritsuko carefully words her answers to any questions about her work with NERV, to prevent anyone from suspecting anything...
 
Later that evening, the party wraps up, and Ritsuko helps her grandmother clean up the kitchen... the two talk to each other as the cleaning progresses…
 
 
“Did you have fun tonight?” Midori asks, hoping for a “yes” answer.
 
“Yeah, I did. It was great...” Ritsuko says, a smile forming on her face.
 
“That's good. I haven't seen you this happy in a long time...”
 
Ritsuko realizes something and says softly to herself- “I think I found the definition...”
 
“Definition?” Midori says, not understanding her granddaughters' comment. “Definition of what?”
 
“I'm sorry grandma, it's a long story, but I think I've found a reason to be happy.” Is the response back by Ritsuko in attempt to be a little more specific.
 
Midori scratches her chin and thinks about that before responding. “Oh, that's good sweetie, what is it?”
 
Ritsuko tries to put into words what she means but simply says: “It's... hard to explain, but I think I will be fine now...”
 
“Okay, that's good.”
 
 
The cleaning is soon done and Midori takes her leave. She's still a little confused about Ritsuko's comments but is happy that her granddaughter is finally feeling good about her life and has found some form of happiness.
 
 
After putting the last dish into the dishwasher, Ritsuko heads back into the front room and onto the computer. Luna hops in her lap and soon the search is on once again. `Now... time to find that hacker...'
 
 
Shrouded in darkness, the formerly blonde scientist makes her move later that night. After spending several hours on the train, she finally arrived at her destination- Kyoto. After looking at her notes about the location of the hotel, Ritsuko debates on what method she should use to confront this hacker… but whichever way that happens to be, one thing is certain.
 
 
`Whoever this is… I'll catch off guard. The thing is, what to do after confronting them. I'm sure they'll be some kind of physical response… so I'd better be prepared for that contingency.'
 
Taking note of her surroundings, a small pawn shop in the distance catches her eye. `Maybe that pawn shop will have what I need…'
 
 
With a plan now forming in her head, Ritsuko makes her move. She walks over to the shop and enters the establishment. A short, middle-aged bald man is sitting in a chair behind a glass display case. He warily eyes Ritsuko as she enters his shop...
 
 
“Welcome to Hotaka's Pawn shop… how can I help you?”
 
Ritsuko looks down at the display case and doesn't see anything that will serve her purpose. “Yes... I'm looking for a pistol...”
 
“Sorry, I don't have any weapons to trade for right now...” Is the response almost immediately by the owner, who is getting more suspicious of the woman with each passing moment.
 
 
Knowing full well what to do in these situations, Ritsuko reaches into her purse and pulls out a wad of large denomination bills. She peels off several ten-thousand yen bills and places them on the counter...
 
The owner of the shop, Hotoka, greedily eyes the bills on the counter and has a sudden change of heart. “I may have something in back...”
 
 
In the blink of an eye, he snatches the bills off of the counter and walks into a back room to search for some of his “special” stock items. About a minute later, he returns with a Magnum 45 which he places on the top of the case in front of Ritsuko.
 
 
“Will this do? It's all that I have right now...”
 
Ritsuko smiles. “It's perfect... do you have some ammunition for it?”
 
“Of course...”
 
 
Turning around, Hotoka grabs a little brown box from a shelf that is just behind him and places it on the table. He opens it up and displays the contents to his customer.
 
 
“How much ammo do you want?”
 
After thinking about that for a moment, Ritsuko decides on a number. “I just need six bullets to load the gun...” She peels off another large bills and places it on the counter. “Will this be enough for everything?”
 
Not believing his luck for this evening, the pawnshop owner quickly grabs the newest bill off of the counter and nods his head. “Of course...” He then opens the box and hands Ritsuko six bullets. “Anything else?”
 
Ritsuko points the gun at the ground and then loads the weapon. Satisfied with the loading and the way the gun reacted, she puts the now loaded gun into her purse for later. “No, that's all I need. Thank you...”
 
 
With that, Ritsuko walks out of the shop and heads for a nearby hotel to continue her mission. Back in the pawn shop, the owner Hotoka thinks about what just happened…
 
 
`I wonder what that woman wanted that weapon for? Maybe it's for an ex or something...' He looks down at the large amount of money he has in his hand. `Whatever. This will pay the rent for a while...'
 
 
Over at the hotel lobby, an increasingly nervous Ritsuko takes a deep breath before heading inside the elevator. A short ride in the elevator brings her to the second floor, her target. Signs on the wall point the way to her quarry- room 215.
 
`All of this looks vaguely familiar... it feels like I've been here before...'
 
 
A short walk brings her to the door of room 215, her pace ever slowing as she approaches the door to avoid making noise. She quickly digs out a lock-pick out her purse and stealthily picks the lock.
 
`Okay, I'm in. Here goes nothing…'
 
 
Drawing her Magnum 45, Ritsuko gently pushes the door open and sees a man sitting behind a computer in the far part of the room. The room is pitch black except for the light emanating from a computer monitor. In one swift movement, Ritsuko charges forward and puts her gun against the man's head just as the click of the hammer moving into place is heard...
 
“You better start talking... tell me why you're accessing the MAGI systems and how you got in that far... past my firewalls…” She says angrily. What she hears will totally take her by surprise…
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 15: Conflicts and Asuka's Birthday
 
 
Hope you liked this redone chapter, I think it's a lot better then the original in every way. Look for another one of these sometime in early February. My next project is my Ranma