Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 15: Conflicts and Asuka's Birthday ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15: Conflicts and Asuka's Birthday
 
 
Hi everyone! I know it's been ages but here we go again with another redo. I'm altering some of this chapter so make sure and read it carefully so you can see what was changed…
 
 
 
Continuing from the last chapter... in a dark hotel room in Kyoto, Japan...
 
After hearing the click of the gun against his head, Kaji slowly raises his hands up, being very careful not to upset the intruder...
 
“Now talk! And don't try anything or else!” A shouting Ritsuko says firmly.
 
“I was just seeing what NERV was up to...” He pauses to try and find an angle to use, one which may save his life. “Why are you so concerned? Are you from NERV?”
 
Ritsuko thinks for a moment before responding. “Not exactly...”
 
“Then why do you care?” Is the careful reply back, worded in a way to try and gather more information about the woman behind him.
 
“Let's just say... it's a personal issue...” Is about all Ritsuko volunteers as an answer.
 
 
Kaji slowly stands up, and Ritsuko presses the gun even harder against his skull...
 
“Don't move anymore! Or I swear I'll... I'll... kill you where you stand!” Her gun trembles as an involuntary shake passes through Kaji's body.
 
Sweatdrops form on the former spy's face. “Maybe I can help you out...” Slowly, he turns around and looks at his assailant. “I have a lot of connections...”
 
 
Ritsuko points her gun at his face, then moves closer to take a look at the man in front of her. After getting a good look at his face, she starts to tremble in fear...
 
“No... it can't be... you look like... like...”
 
Kaji finishes her sentence. “Like someone that was reported missing and assumed dead. Is that what you were going to say?”
 
Nervously, the brunette scientist confesses what she's thinking. “Y... yes. You look like Ryoji Kaji...”
 
“That's because I am Ryoji Kaji...”
 
Ritsuko shakes her head in disbelief. “Impossible! You're supposed to be dead!”
 
Kaji shrugs his shoulders. “That's what I thought as well... it's a long story. You look familiar as well, your hairstyle reminds me of... of...”
 
 
Suddenly, the former spy recognizes the hairstyle and voice of the woman in front of him and gasps. “Ritsuko? I saw no mention of your name at all in the computer, it said you disappeared...”
 
Ritsuko lowers her gun and then shrugs her shoulders. “I guess that makes two of us. I should have known that only someone of your skill could have even entered the MAGI in the first place...”
 
 
The two supposedly “dead people” just stare at each other for a moment, unsure of what to do next...
 
Kaji breaks the silence. “So what now? Will I be killed... again, or will you help me?”
 
 
Ritsuko thinks deeply to herself for a moment before speaking a word in reply as the morning sun began to spread its light over the land. The rays not only reached this small hotel, as in another part of Japan...
 
 
Later that morning at NERV headquarters, Maya is talking with Aoba and Hyuga at the now restored Primary Command Center...
 
“I know I shouldn't be complaining, but it's starting to get a little boring up here. I wonder why we haven't been disbanded...” Aoba says quietly while sitting back in his chair.
 
Hyuga agrees and responds softly, so he doesn't attract attention to himself. “Yeah... and we still have the EVA's... and we're making more. There has to be some reason...” The ending of his statement is followed by a sigh.
 
“I agree. I don't know why we still have the EVA's... all of the Angels were destroyed. Are there more Angels to come, or is there another threat out there? I wonder what Commander Ikari is thinking...” Maya says while leaning towards the others, quietly adding her opinion to the discussion.
 
Tapping a few commands into his console, Aoba explains his feelings about the situation. “It's hard to figure out the commander... I just wish something would happen here once in a while...”
 
“At least you have something productive to do… Aoba and I are stuck up here...” Hyuga says while wishing he could be reading a manga or something to alleviate his boredom.
 
Before Maya can make a reply, Commander Ikari's voice over the speaker system...
 
 
“As of tomorrow, NERV will be devoting some of its time and efforts to restoring the Geofront and Tokyo-3. Current officers will be participating in various community efforts on a rotation basis. That is all...”
 
Maya looks at Hyuga with a grin on her face. “I guess that old saying is true... be careful what you wish for, you may get it...”
 
The air-guitar playing technician groans aloud. “I suppose... at least we can get out of here sometimes...”
 
His counterpart, Hyuga, has a different attitude about the announcement. “Yeah! We need some fresh air...”
 
Stretching her arms towards the ceiling, the Lt. Commander expresses to the other two bridge bunnies her thoughts on that announcement. “Working in the lab all of the time is starting to get to me. This could be something good...”
 
 
A few seconds later, on the top of the command center, Commander Ikari stands up and looks down at the three bridge bunnies and announces in a clear voice…
 
“Lt. Commander Ibuki, come up here...”
 
Maya's head immediately turns and looks up at the Commander. “Yes sir! On my way...”
 
“Busted!” The other two bridge bunnies mutter, causing Maya to blush.
 
She looks back at them and sticks out her tongue and says: "Oh hush!" before calling out to the commander and heading up to see him.
 
Standing in front of Commander Ikari, she bows and says: “How can I help you sir?”
 
Gendo gets right to the point. “What is the status of the EVA projects?”
 
“Unit 01 is working normally, Unit 02 will be fully restored by the first week of January, and the new Unit 03 is coming together... the new entry plug should be ready to test in about twelve days...”
 
“Very good. Schedule another sync test for Unit 01 for next week, and acquire the new pilots when the plug is finished...”
 
“Understood. Anything else, sir?”
 
Commander Ikari folds his hands in front of his face. “Begin advanced research into the S2 engines that were acquired from the fallen SEELE EVA's. I want to see if it is possible to restore and place one into Unit 02... so all three EVA's will be able to operate without an umbilical cable...”
 
Realizing the depth of the project now in front of her, especially if she's doing it all herself. She decides to make a protest to her superior. “That'll take a long time if I'm the only one working on the technical data...”
 
All ready prepared for that response, Gendo lets his Lt. Commander in on some new information. “I have reassigned several personnel from our scientific division to assist you. They will be working with you effective tomorrow... I want the EVA's up and running as soon as possible...”
 
Satisfied with that answer, Maya nods her head. “I'll keep you updated, sir.”
 
“Very good. You can return to work now...” Gendo says as he turns around and begins working on his computer.
 
Maya heads back to her computer console on the lower level and gets back to work... `Now I'm in charge… Sempai, where are you when I need you… I guess I'll have to try my best.'
 
 
Time continues to flow forward and soon the weekend is over and Monday arrives...
 
 
Monday November 23rd
 
A normal morning of lecture and lunch comes and goes at the Tokyo-3 Middle School. In the afternoon, the basketball team holds its first practice game in the school gym. Hikari and Asuka cheer the team on as they play another team from a neighboring region. Rei is there as well, passing out water and "Gatorade" to the players sitting on the bench. After the first half is over, the gym teacher/basketball coach calls Shinji, Toji, and Kensuke over to the sideline for a quick chat...
 
“I just want to say that you three are doing very well, especially Shinji and Kensuke, who have not really played before we restarted school.”
 
“Thank you...” All three teens reply at the same time.
 
“I also noticed that Toji and Shinji's performance has picked up since we got cheerleaders... would any of them happen to be your girlfriend?”
 
Shinji blushes. “Um... the red headed girl on the end there, Asuka, is my girlfriend...”
 
The coach begins scratching his chin. “I see... and you, Toji?”
 
Toji begins stuttering. “Um... the brown haired girl next to Asuka, Hikari, is my girlfriend...”
 
“Very good. The girls can stay as long as you guys watch the ball and not the girls. Half time is almost over! You three get something to drink and get ready for the next half!”
 
 
Kensuke, Toji, and Shinji head over to the bench and sit down. Rei soon comes by with some "Gatorade", which the trio quickly drinks down. The game resumes a few minutes later, and at the end, the trio make some quick defensive moves and hold the lead for their team, winning the game. After the game, the basketball team showers up and disperses... Kensuke tags along with Toji and Hikari, while Rei, Asuka and Shinji take a walk together...
 
 
“That was a good game, Shinji. You and the other two stooges did quite well...” Asuka says while gently nudging her boyfriend with her elbow playfully.
 
“You did well, Shinji...” Rei says, agreeing with Asuka's statement.
 
Shinji is flattered by the comments from his two female companions and blushes slightly. “Um... thanks. It was a close game... but something else is on my mind...”
 
Asuka looks at Shinji. “Well, go ahead... we're listening...”
 
“I think that Kensuke may be upset or something...”
 
The Second Child puts her hand into Shinji's and holds it. “I wonder why?”
 
Rei thinks about it for a moment and tries to figure out the situation… but is unable to do so. “I am not certain, either...”
 
The problem continues to bug Shinji. “I just can't figure it out... something's different about him lately…”
 
 
The trio continues home and the rest of the day passes without incident. The next morning, Shinji borrows Misato's new camera and takes it with him to school. After the morning lecture is over, he takes the camera out of his backpack...
 
Toji gets a closer look at the camera and is impressed. “Nice camera, Shinji. Is it yours?”
 
Shinji shakes his head. “Nope. Misato bought it a few days ago... she wanted to take some pictures of me, Asuka, and Rei...”
 
“Got any of those pics with you?” Kensuke chimes in, curious about the pictures.
 
Shinji takes out his wallet and shows his friends several wallet sized pictures...
 
Toji glances at the pictures for a moment and then says “Nice pictures, Shinji.”
 
“Thanks. I brought the camera with so I could have a picture of all three of us together.”
 
After turning his head, Shinji sees Asuka out of the corner of his eye. “Asuka, can you come here for a second?”
 
“Oh, sure Shinji...” Walking over to Shinji, the redhead wonders what he needs… and why he has Misato's camera with him. “What do you need?
 
“I want you to take a picture of me, Toji, and Kensuke...”
 
“Oh… a `Three Stooges' picture, huh? All right...”
 
She starts to focus the camera but can't get the picture just right. “Toji, Kensuke, move closer to Shinji...”
 
The two “stooges” shuffle closer to Shinji and avoid saying anything about her comment a moment ago.
 
“Smile!” Asuka snaps the picture, then hands the camera back to Shinji. “I'm going to finish my lunch and I'll be back, Shinji...”
 
The Third Child watches Asuka walk away… she sits down next to Hikari and resumes talking to Hikari and eating her lunch.
 
 
Seeing his chance to talk to his friends without female intervention, Kensuke asks about their after school plans. “Soooo... what are you guys doing after class today? I just got a new video game and I was wondering if you guys wanted to come by...”
 
Toji takes a quick glance at the class rep and then gives his answer. “Wish I could, man. I'm going on a dinner date with Hikari... we were going to grab a bite to eat and see a movie...”
 
Kensuke tries Shinji next. “What about you, Shinji? Doing anything after class?”
 
Shinji thinks about it for a moment and then remembers what he was supposed to do later. “Well, I was going to go out with Asuka... we may do some shopping or something. Her birthday is coming up soon, and I need to figure out what to get her...”
 
Not believing what he just heard, Kensuke sighs aloud. “You're both busy... and Shinji here is going on a `helluva' shopping trip with the Devil...”
 
 
This gets Shinji worked up and he looks at Kensuke with an angry expression on his face…
 
“Look, Kensuke... Asuka may have been mean before, but she's really changed... and she is my girlfriend. Don't talk about her like that!”
 
 
Toji and Kensuke look at Shinji with a look of shock and disbelief. Kensuke recovers his composure a moment later...
 
“Hhmmph! I never thought I'd see the day...” Hurriedly, Kensuke grabs his lunch bag, stands up, and sits in another desk far away from the other two stooges. Being next to the window, he starts to look out the window and think about what just happened…
 
 
Shinji looks at Kensuke and then Toji exclaims- "I never would have believed it! You do have a backbone!"
 
An embarrassed Shinji tries to silence his friend. “Would you be quiet! I don...” He stops as he realizes he was about to say... `I was going to say that I don't have one but…'
 
Slowly a grin forms on Shinji's face. “I guess I do have one...”
 
 
Rei, who has been silently observing the whole situation from her desk by the window, takes a glance at Kensuke and wonders what could have caused him to get up... emotions are still something that she doesn't totally understand.
 
 
A little while later, lunch is over. The class returns to their seats for the afternoon lectures, which seem to take forever. After class is finished, Rei heads back to the apartment. Kensuke returns to his home, feeling confused and dismayed about what happened earlier...
 
Shinji and Asuka casually stroll back towards home, taking their time and enjoying each other's company...
 
“Shinji, I saw Kensuke get up all of the sudden during lunch? Did something happen?”
 
A troubled Shinji responds with a “Yeah... sorta...”
 
Wanting to know, Asuka gently takes Shinji's hand into hers. “Please tell me, Shin-chan...”
 
“Well... after you left, Kensuke asked Toji and I what we were doing after class today. When I told him that I was going out with you, he said that I was going on a shopping trip with the Devil...”
 
That gets Asuka all riled up. “Ooh! That stooge...”
 
Shinji gently increases the grip on her hand until she looks at him… and then he explains what he did early in the day. “Asuka... I took care of it. I told him not talk about you like that...”
 
Asuka's expression immediately changes from angry to happy- she's very happy about what she just heard Shinji say. “You... stood up for me in front of your friends? I... I'm proud of you...”
 
Wanting to congratulate her boyfriend, the very happy Second Child pulls Shinji into a loving embrace, causing him to blush.
 
Shinji slowly puts his arms around her in return and in a near whisper says- “T... thank you, Asuka...”
 
There's a moment of quiet before the Third Child brings up something else that's been on his mind since earlier today. “I'm worried about Kensuke. I've never seen him act like that before...”
 
Not knowing what exactly to say to that, Asuka thinks about it for a second… “I'm sure it'll blow over in time... just give him time to cool off, ok?”
 
Placing a gentle kiss on Shinji's cheek, the Second Child enjoys this warm and quiet moment with her boyfriend.
 
“What did you want to do after we get home... did you want go shopping?”
 
Liking the idea but not being in the mood for it at the moment, Asuka decides to say no. “Maybe we can go shopping tomorrow... I want to spend time with you... maybe we could watch TV together and cuddle a little bit...”
 
“Uh... sure, Asuka. Sounds good...” A red glow forms on Shinji's face after saying that…
 
 
 
Shinji and Asuka arrive home a few minutes later and spend some quality time together...across the city, another couple is having a similar conversation...
 
At a restaurant in downtown Tokyo-3, Hikari asks Toji about an event that she witnessed at school earlier...
 
“Toji, I noticed Kensuke looked a little down after class... did anything happen today?”
 
“Um... yeah. He asked Shinji and me if we wanted to come over after class. I told him I was going out with you, and Shinji said he was going out with Asuka... then he made some `Devil' comment to Shinji...”
 
Hikari begins to get concerned. “What did Shinji do?”
 
“Um... you're not going to believe this, but Shinji told him to stop talking about Asuka like that...”
 
That surprises the class rep… in a good way. “Really? I bet I know two reasons why Asuka would be very happy with Shinji right now...”
 
Toji's confused about that comment and asks for clarification- “What do you mean?”
 
“Well, first of all, Shinji stood up for her... instead of letting Asuka defend herself. The other reason is Shinji finally has a backbone. That was one of the things she didn't like about him before... I'm sure he's talked about that with you before…”
 
Toji nods his head. “Yeah, kinda… he didn't know what ta do to help her or make her feel better. I just hope Kensuke doesn't take this too badly...”
 
“Yeah...”
 
Hikari and Toji resume eating their dinner and then go out to a movie...
 
 
Time moves forward again, the rest of the week has everyone involved in his or her usual routines. Shinji stops by Kensuke's house on Wednesday, and Toji stops by on Thursday. Both of them have been spending an increasing amount of time with their respective girlfriends, much to Kensuke's chagrin. Maya and her new co-workers begin their research on the S2 engine...
 
 
Saturday finds Toji and Hikari together at her house... playing cards and competing against each other on her video game system...
 
 
With Asuka's birthday drawing near, Shinji begins to seriously think about what to get for her, but he can't think of something really special to get... as he wants the "perfect" gift for Asuka. Shinji takes a short walk after dinner and tries to come up with something as he sits on a bench in a nearby park...
 
 
That evening, after Shinji returns, Asuka begins to think about her upcoming birthday and wonders what everyone will get her, especially Shinji...
 
 
Sunday November 29th, 2015
 
The next day Shinji is up early making breakfast, when Misato walks into kitchen, scratching her belly…
 
“Good morning, Shinji...” Misato says before yawning loudly.
 
Shinji, already being used to her morning behavior, shrugs it off. “Good morning... you're up early today...”
 
“Yeah, I guess... I smelled that soup and rice and I just had to get up...” She says while rubbing her eyes.
 
Returning his attention to the soup, Shinji begins to stir it. “Misato, I need your help. I want to do something really special for Asuka, for her birthday. Do you have any ideas?”
 
Before Misato can give Shinji an answer, Rei walks into the kitchen...
 
“Good morning.”
 
“'Morning, Rei.”
 
The Third turns his head and says “Good morning, Rei” before turning his attention back to the nearly finished soup. Misato notices that Rei looks a little troubled and she motions her closer.
 
“Misato, I require your assistance. I have been unable to think of a suitable gift for Asuka's 15th birthday...”
 
“Hmm... seems like you both have the same problem.” After taking a quick look around to make sure Asuka wasn't in sight, Misato lowers her voice and continues. “I was going to get her a new video game system, the NSS Deluxe.”
 
 
Author note: NSS stands for Nintendo-Sega-Sony, the system can play games from all three companies...
 
 
“Ah… that is one of the newest game systems, correct?” Rei says, remembering hearing that term on a television commercial before.
 
“You know what, Rei, why don't you come with me to the store later and you can pick out some games to go with it...”
 
“That sounds good.”
 
The soup now finished, Shinji is free to divert his attention elsewhere and he remembers that he has a similar predicament to Rei. “What about me, Misato? Any suggestions?”
 
“Well, I was thinking... since you like to cook, you could make her breakfast in bed, for starters...”
 
“Yeah... that sounds good...” Is the enthusiastic reply back from Shinji, who likes how this idea deals with one of his strong points.
 
“Then maybe later, you can take her to some really nice place for lunch... I think Asuka would really like that...”
 
“Great! I already know what I can make her for breakfast...”
 
Rei is curious about that, despite having some understanding of both Shinji and Asuka and their backgrounds. “What would you make for her?”
 
“I was thinking of making her a traditional German breakfast... I know she'll love it!”
 
Misato smiles. “Very smart, Shinji. She hasn't had a breakfast like that since she left Germany; I think she would love it! I need some baking help, too, though… Shinji, could you help me make a cake for her birthday?”
 
Shinji nods his head but immediately recognizes a danger to the surprise. “Sure... but won't we have to get Asuka out of the apartment somehow? Otherwise, she could see what we're doing and spoil the surprise...”
 
With a slight nod, Misato shows her agreement with the plan. “You and I will make the cake on Thursday night, after she goes to bed. We'll bake it and hide over in Rei's part of the apartment...”
 
Before anyone can say a word more, Asuka's door slides open, and she groggily starts walking into the kitchen...
 
 
“Good morning everyone...” She says as a soft yawn escapes her lips.
 
The Major acts like normal and tries not to look suspicious, in case she heard any of the conversation that was going on just a moment ago. “'Morning, Asuka.”
 
Shinji looks at Asuka and smiles. “Good morning, Asuka.”
 
“Good morning, Asuka.” Rei says to her friend.
 
Asuka's nose dictates who she responds to first… the chef. “I see you're making breakfast... how about some toast and juice? I'm hungry...”
 
“All right...”
 
 
Shinji gets four bowls and four spoons out and places them on the table. He begins to serve the soup and the rice... then begins making some toast...
 
“My birthday is coming up soon... I hope you guys got something planned for me...” Asuka says happily.
 
Misato winks. “Of course. We're going to have a party here later in the evening next Friday...“
 
“Great!” Asuka turns and looks at Shinji. “I'm sure you have something nice planned for me, right, Shin-Chan?”
 
Being the center of attention at this moment, Shinji cannot help but blush. “Y... yeah. You'll really like your present...” He says with a nervous smile.
 
“Good.”
 
Shinji puts a glass of orange juice down in front of Asuka, who thanks him for it. The toast pops up in the toaster and Shinji rushes back over to the toaster. Watching Shinji take out the toast and butter it, just the way she likes it, Asuka cannot help but muse to herself on how good he is to her.
 
As soon as he returns and puts the toast in front of Asuka, the redhead ravenously devours it. Small talk soon goes around the table...
 
“Maya told me that you three will have to have another sync test on Thursday...” Misato says while snapping her fingers. “I almost forgot to tell you three…”
 
Asuka is the first to complain about that idea. “Another test!”
 
Misato plays off Asuka's response. “Yep. It's probably just to make sure all three of you are doing ok, sync-wise, in case something happens...”
 
“Whatever...” Is the reply back from Asuka, who takes that reasoning with a grain of salt. Shinji, however, presses for more details…
 
“When is the test?”
 
“After school... you three go over to headquarters after class, okay?”
 
Rei nods her head. “Understood.”
 
 
Rei, Misato, Asuka, and Shinji continue to eat breakfast and are soon finished. Asuka heads back to her room to work on some homework and Misato also heads back to her room. Shinji and Rei work together to clean the kitchen and wash the dishes. While the pair are working on the dishes, Shinji has another idea about a gift for Asuka…
 
“Rei... I had an idea of another gift to get Asuka... but I'll need your help...”
 
“No problem, brother. What do you need me to do?”
 
“I need you to access Asuka's personal file in the MAGI and find something for me...”
 
That gets Rei curious, especially since Shinji should know everything about her anyways. “What do you want to find?”
 
“I need...” He whispers the rest of what he wants her to find, so no one can hear... in case Asuka happens to walk by.
 
“That sounds... nice. I hope I can find something suitable...”
 
Rei and Shinji finish up the dishes and then play poker with the just awakened Pen-Pen... a little while later, Misato comes out of her room...
 
 
“Rei, are you ready to go shopping so we can pick up those...” The Major lowers her voice to a near whisper. “Presents for Asuka...”
 
“Yes, I am ready. I will play against both of you when I return...”
 
Pen-Pen nods, knowing that Rei is one of the only “real” challenges for him with these human card games.
 
“Okay. Have fun!”
 
 
Rei and Misato walk out of the apartment and head out on their shopping trip. Back in the apartment, Shinji passes the deck of cards over to Pen-Pen… “Now... I think it was your turn to deal, Pen-Pen...”
 
A “squawk!” is heard and then the penguin begins to shuffle the cards and deal them out…
 
A few hands later, Asuka comes out of her room and walks over to Shinji and Pen-Pen...
 
“Deal me in.” Asuka says while sitting down at the table. Pen-Pen squawks and then deals out the cards. “I'll be watching you, Pen-Pen... I know how good you are now!”
 
 
Asuka, Shinji, and Pen-Pen play poker together while Rei and Misato are out picking up Asuka's birthday presents. When they return a few hours later, Misato gives Rei the presents, who quickly hides them in her part of the apartment and joins the poker game at the table, thus diverting any suspicion. Misato is already at the table, guzzling down a Yebisu beer...
 
 
Sunday soon comes to an end, and a new week begins. On Monday, Hikari and Toji go out shopping after school, selecting a present for Asuka. Kensuke also picks up a present for Asuka...
 
The next day has the resumption of sports activities... the swim team is practicing again... Hikari, Rei, and Asuka work on their swimming skills as Shinji, Kensuke, and Toji play another basketball game... narrowly winning over the opposing Kyoto team...
 
The normal school routine continues... the track team meets on Wednesday... Hikari, Asuka, and Rei watch as the "Three Stooges" run around the track.
 
The following day, after school, Hikari is about to head over to tennis practice, when Asuka pulls her off to the side...
 
“Can you tell the coach that Rei and I won't be there today? Shinji, Rei and I have a sync test to go to right now...”
 
“Sure, no problem. I'm sure they know about the `special situation' with you three already…”
 
“There's more… I'm sorta anxious, Hikari... my birthday is tomorrow, and I can't wait to see what Shinji has for me…”
 
Hikari cannot believe that Asuka is worried about that in the slightest. “Stop worrying! I'm sure he has something special planned for you...”
 
“Yeah... I'll see yah tomorrow, okay?”
 
“See you tomorrow… and don't worry, okay?”
 
 
Asuka walks out to the front of the school, where Shinji and Rei are waiting. Misato arrives a few minutes later and takes them over to headquarters for the sync test. After changing into their plug suits, Asuka, Rei and Shinji each take the sync test in Unit 01. All three are surprised after the test... they did not hear a voice while they were in the plug. All three meet with Misato and Maya in the test room...
 
Maya looks down at her computer screen. “Very good you three... Shinji and Rei are up to 87%, and Asuka is very close to that with 85%...”
 
“Watch out Shinji, Rei... I am only one step behind you! Next time, I'll pass you both!” Asuka says proudly, knowing that two percent was almost a negligible lead in this `race'…
 
Misato takes the chance to mention the move… and how it appears to have helped. “You three are doing well... maybe Rei moving in has had a positive influence...”
 
Lt. Commander Ibuki agrees. “It looks like it; all of the scores are better than last time...”
 
Shinji puts his hand on Rei's shoulder. “Good work, sister...”
 
Rei's reaction to that is to blush slightly. “T... thank you, brother...”
 
Upon hearing that short exchange between Shinji and Rei, Maya begins to feel very confused. “Sister... brother... what are you two talking about?”
 
“You mean you don't know? I thought you of all people would know about this...” Asuka says loudly, not believing that the Lt. Commander would be ignorant of their relationship.
 
“I don't remember reading anything about this or hearing about this from Dr. Akagi...” Maya says as she shrugs her shoulders.
 
Misato decides to cut in before the situation gets out of hand. “Um... Maya... why don't you stop by my place after you get off of work, and I'll explain the whole thing...”
 
Not knowing what to expect, Maya says simply- “Uh... ok.” She then turns and looks and the three pilots. “You three are all set... you can go now...”
 
That's the best news that Asuka's heard all day. “Thank goodness! Come on, Shinji, Rei... let's get out of here!”
 
 
All three pilots head to changing rooms and change out of the plug suits. After a quick shower, they head home. On the way back, Shinji makes an excuse up and heads off to a nearby floral store. He quickly enters and purchases a beautiful red rose. He quickly returns to the apartment and gently places the rose in a vase on Rei's side of the apartment, then heads to his room to make a card for Asuka...
 
After finishing their shifts, Maya and Misato head over to Misato's place. In the kitchen, Misato begins to relate all of her recently learned knowledge about Rei and her relation to Shinji...
 
Maya carefully listens to all of what Misato is saying and it's… shocking, to say the least. “I had no idea... I had a feeling that there was something odd about those dummy plugs… and I was right. It all ties together…”
 
Misato nods her head to acknowledge that comment. “There are probably a lot more secrets buried in the MAGI, things that Commander Ikari or Ritsuko never told you about...”
 
Rei walks into the room and continues that line of thought. “That is true. My past was kept hidden from everyone else...”
 
With a soft sigh, Maya says “Yeah...” before thinking more about being in the dark in this regard.
 
“I am much happier now... I have a brother, a mother, and friends...” Rei says while a small smile forms on her face.
 
That comment puzzles Maya. “A mother? Rei... do you mean Misato?”
 
Rei nods his head affirmatively and Misato's jaw drops to the ground in shock... Maya starts to giggle and begins nudging Misato with her elbow…
 
“Congratulations... it's a girl!”
 
Misato, still in shock, is unable to make a response for several seconds...
 
“R... Rei... you called me mother?” Misato stutters out.
 
Rei explains her reasoning. “Yes. I have observed that you are trying hard to be a mother, and since I have not had one it only seems right to call you that...”
 
Maya stands up. “I think I'm going to head out now, I'm a little tired from work.” She turns to look at Misato. “I'll see you at work tomorrow, Misato...”
 
A still shaken Misato says softly- “Uh... yeah. See yah tomorrow...”
 
Maya now turns her attention to Rei. “Good night, Rei.”
 
“Good night, Maya.” Is Rei's response with a nod.
 
Before she leaves, Maya says with a sly grin while looking at Misato. "I'll see you at work tomorrow, mother..."
 
With Misato a bit shaken, she doesn't respond and the Lt. Commander frowns before heading out of the apartment. Rei stands up and is about to leave the kitchen when Misato speaks...
 
“Rei... come here.” Rei walks over to Misato and looks at the woman intently. “Did you... do you really mean it?”
 
Rei does her best to smile. “Yes.”
 
Misato starts to cry. “Thank you...” Reaching out, she pulls Rei into a hug. “Thank you so much. You don't know what this means to me...”
 
“I think I do, mother.”
 
Still sobbing, Misato asks for Rei to clarify what she means. “What... what do you mean, Rei?”
 
“I... I have never had a mother, and ever since I moved in here, you have made me feel welcome and wanted. You even went out of your way to set up my room and to help me move in...”
 
A few tears of joy go down Rei's cheek and drops to the ground. “I really appreciate all that you have done for me.”
 
 
A moment of silence passes between mother and daughter... Misato breaks the hug and sits back down at the table...
 
Misato begins drying her tears and realizes what time it is. `The food… I have to get the food before it gets too late…'
 
Not wanting to break the moment, but realizing that other things have to be done, Misato makes a decision and asks Rei a question. “Rei, could you wrap our presents for Asuka? I have to go to the store and pick up a few things that Shinji needs for tomorrow...”
 
“No problem, mother. I would be happy to help out...” Rei says, happy to oblige.
 
“Great! I'll be back in a little while... if Asuka or Shinji ask where I am, just tell them I had to get some food for tomorrow... so we keep our little secret going…”
 
“Sure.”
 
Misato grabs her jacket and purse and heads over to the supermarket. Rei heads back over to her side of the apartment and begins to wrap her present and Misato's present in red wrapping paper, which she had received earlier from “mom”. A few minutes later, Shinji comes into the dining room, where Rei is putting the finishing touches on the last present...
 
“Uh... Rei... were you able to find anything for me? I mean about Asuka's present...” Shinji asks nervously… hoping that the answer is “yes”…
 
“I found something really nice... it is on my bed. I took the liberty of framing it for you...” Rei says with a small smile.
 
“Thanks!” Shinji walks into the other room and grabs the picture frame off of her bed, then brings it back to the kitchen. “I hope she likes it...”
 
Rei motions her brother to sit down, which he does next to her. “Pass me some wrapping paper, please...”
 
“No problem. Were you going to attach that rose over there and the card that you have been working on to this gift?” Rei says while noticing the accessories that Shinji has brought with him.
 
A slight blush creeps over Shinji's face. “Y... yes. I just finished writing up the card, and I was lucky to be able to get that rose without Asuka finding out...” He starts to wrap the picture frame when his sister makes a comment about the wrapping paper…
 
“I see that mother knows about Asuka's favorite color as well...”
 
“Yep. Asuka just loves the color red... wait a second. Did you just call Misato, mother?”
 
“Yes, I did. You have memories of your mother so you know what a mother is like. I have never had one before now.”
 
Shinji is amazed by her comment... and by how quickly she's grasping her own humanity. “Rei... I guess you're right. I'm happy that you now have a mother, just like Asuka and I have... speaking of `mother', where did Misato go?”
 
“She went to the supermarket to get food for tomorrow's party... including some food items for you...”
 
Feeling relieved that Misato remembered their talk earlier, Shinji breathes a sigh of relief. “Good. Misato and I are going to get up early tomorrow and bake a cake for Asuka...”
 
 
A few moments later and Shinji's work is finished. He passes the now wrapped picture frame to Rei. “Rei, can you hide this for me? I'll get it from you tomorrow and attach the rose and the card to it...”
 
“Okay...” Rei watches Shinji stand up and start for the other apartment. “Are you going to bed?”
 
Shinji's first answer is a yawn… and then he says- “Yeah... I better get some sleep. I gotta get up early tomorrow... good night, Rei.”
 
“Good night, Shinji.”
 
 
Shinji heads back to his room and immediately falls asleep on his bed. Rei gets all of the presents off of the table and hides them, and then heads back to her own room. After changing for bed, she falls asleep...
 
 
Half an hour later, Misato returns from the supermarket with several bags of food. She begins to unpack the food when Asuka opens the door to her room... and gazes at the large bags of groceries that Misato has just brought in…
 
“You certainly got a lot of food... is it all for the party tomorrow?”
 
“Yeah... all of this is for tomorrow...” Is the reply back… which Misato justifies in her mind as “technically true”…
 
”Well... it looks like there'll be plenty to eat...” Asuka stifles a yawn and then looks at her guardian. ”I'm going to bed. Good night, Misato.”
 
“Good night, Asuka.”
 
Asuka heads back into her room and goes to sleep. Once she's sure that she's alone again, Misato starts putting the groceries away. “Whew... that was close...”
 
 
After she puts all of the groceries away, Misato heads to her room and prepares to crash for the night. Grabbing her alarm clock, she sets it for 5:15 AM, and puts it back. She crawls into bed and falls asleep immediately; she begins to dream of Kaji and the times that she was with him...
 
 
Friday December 4th
 
 
Misato is the first to get up; a loud beeping noise from her alarm clock immediately rouses her from her sleep. After getting dressed, she quietly gets up and heads over to Shinji's room and heads inside. She finds the young man sound asleep and decides to change that situation…
 
“Shinji... wake up!” She says while gently shaking the Third Child.
 
Shinji's eyes slowly open. “Huh? Who's there?” He turns his head and notices Misato standing next to his bed. “What time is it?”
 
Misato smiles. “Time for you to show your girlfriend how much you would do for her... it's 5:20 A.M....”
 
A groggy Shinji slowly sits up on his bed. “All right...I'll be in the kitchen in a minute, let me get dressed...”
 
“Okay... I'll get the ingredients ready and get the cookbook out...”
 
 
Misato gets up, leaves Shinji's room, and heads to the kitchen, to begin preparations for the cake. After getting dressed, Shinji quietly heads into the kitchen where Misato already has the cookbook and ingredients out.
 
“Here's the cake recipe, and I already pulled out all of the ingredients... let's get to work!”
 
“Yeah... I hope this cake will be really tasty...” Shinji says enthusiastically.
 
Shinji and Misato get to work on the cake, and after a short while, it is in the oven. Misato takes a look at her watch and notices the time...
 
 
“I hate to cut out in the middle of our baking extravaganza… but… Shinji, I have to get to work. Can you watch the cake and put frosting on it when it's done?”
 
Not minding that idea at all, Shinji says “Sure.”
 
“Great! The frosting is in the soup cabinet... don't forget to hide the cake over on Rei's side of the apartment. One more thing...”
 
Misato pauses for effect and prepares to unleash another surprise that all three of her charges are sure to like. “Don't worry about school today. I called the school and said that you, Asuka, and Rei wouldn't be there today...”
 
Not believing what he just heard, Shinji has to ask “Really?” before giving a “Thanks, Misato!” reply.
 
“No problem. You three enjoy your day off, and I'll see yah when I get home...”
 
“See you later...”
 
 
Misato leaves the apartment and heads for work... a little while later; Shinji takes the finished cake out of the oven and puts frosting on it. He takes the finished cake and hides it over in the other dining room. Returning to the kitchen, he begins work on a new project...
 
 
Around 7 A.M. Asuka's nose begins to detect a familiar odor wafting through the air. She wakes up and wonders..."That smells familiar, what could it be?" A few moments later, Shinji gently knocks on her door...
 
“Asuka, are you up?”
 
“Yeah. Come in, Shinji...”
 
 
Shinji opens the door and sees Asuka stretching on her bed...
 
“Guten morgen, Shinji...” Is the happy reply from the redhead, happy that her first sight of the day is that of her boyfriend.
 
Shinji says nothing at first but sits down on the bed next to her. “Umm... guten morgen, Asuka… and happy birthday, my angel...”
 
“Thank you, Shin-Chan...”
 
Unleashing his next surprise, Shinji puts his arms around her. “No problem. Here is your birthday hug...”
 
 
Asuka puts her arms around Shinji and the couple spends several minutes enjoying the feeling of being so close...
 
Seeing that Asuka is enjoying her first present, he thinks about what else he has for. `Here goes nothing… part two coming up next…'
 
“Asuka… I... I have something else for you, Asuka... a birthday kiss...”
 
Silently, Asuka pulls away slightly allowing her boyfriend to give her the aforementioned kiss, which he does…
 
Asuka returns his kiss with her own, and they spend several long minutes expressing their feelings for one another...
 
Shinji gently breaks the kiss and asks lovingly- “Did you like your birthday presents so far?”
 
“Mmmhmm... you're being very romantic today, Shinji...” Is the playful reply back. “The way you just kissed me, I wish every day was my birthday...” She says that last part with a giggle… which Shinji takes as a total “yes” for part two.
 
“Asuka... I have another present for you. I need you to get back under the covers...”
 
Finding the request puzzling, Asuka has to ask- “Why?”
 
“It's a surprise... I'll be right back, okay?” Her boyfriend says while getting back on his feet.
 
Asuka decides to play along and crawls back under the covers. “Okay… I'll be waiting for you…”
 
 
Shinji leaves the room and heads to the kitchen. He begins to carefully load several food items onto a tray and brings the tray into Asuka's room...
 
Asuka catches a glimpse of what's on the tray and is very surprised. “What's this?”
 
“It's a traditional German breakfast in bed for my girlfriend...” He says while gently putting the tray down on Asuka's bed.
 
 
Asuka's eyes begin to widen as she looks at the food on the tray... several slices of Brot (German bread) and rolls line a plate on the right side. In the middle, a cup of tea is flanked by a small container of raspberry jam and a butter knife. Also in the center is a small metal plate holds a small stick of butter. Sitting on the left side is a plate full of various cheese slices and cold cuts...
 
Asuka is speechless for several seconds before looking up from the food at her boyfriend. “W... wow. It looks so delicious! How did you know I liked all of these things?”
 
“Um...” He taps a finger against his forehead and Asuka instantly has her answer.
 
“That's right... you have my memories, so you know what I liked to eat when I was in Germany...”
 
Asuka leans forward and kisses Shinji on the cheek before turning her attention to her breakfast.
 
 
“I... I hope you like it. I'm going to wake Rei up and make some breakfast for us too.”
 
Full of happiness, Asuka waves at her departing boyfriend. “All right... I'll come in the kitchen when I'm done. I can't wait to start eating! Thank you, Shinji!”
 
“You're welcome...”
 
 
Shinji walks out of the room and heads over to Rei's room. He awakens her and then they both head to the kitchen to enjoy some breakfast together. A little while later, Asuka comes out her room, carrying the metal tray with her... which is soon deposited next to the kitchen sink.
 
“Breakfast was wonderful, Shinji!”
 
“I'm glad you liked it...”
 
“Happy birthday, Asuka...” Rei says while smiling… which seems to come to her a lot easier lately. `Must be all of the practice that I have done lately… and all of the happy situations that have happened…'
 
Asuka says- “Thanks, Rei!” before looking at the clock… causing Rei to do the same.
 
An inquisitive Rei asks: “Shouldn't we be getting ready for school?”
 
Shinji figures this is the time to let another surprise loose, the one that Misato had told him about earlier. “Oh... I forgot to tell you two something... we don't have to go to school today!”
 
Feeling like this day is something out of a fairy tale, Asuka just has to ask: “Really?”
 
Shinji nods his head and the two females know that he isn't making this up.
 
“Why are we not attending class today?” Rei asks, wondering why she's off from school.
 
“Misato said that all three of us could have the day off!” Is the answer, straight and simple, from Shinji.
 
“That was nice of mother to do that...” Rei concedes.
 
Asuka agrees. “Yeah, it was nice of M... did you say `mother'?”
 
“Yes. You and Shinji have mothers... but I have never had one... Misato is acting like a mother to us, correct?”
 
“Yeah, that's right. I'm glad you have a mom, just like Shinji and I have... had...”
 
Stopping mid-sentence, Asuka looks down for a moment to hide her sorrow then abruptly changes the subject. “What did you two want to do today, since we don't have to go to school?”
 
Shinji wonders why Asuka just did that but lets the topic drop. “Let's just relax... maybe watch some TV, play some cards...”
 
“Sounds good to me...” Asuka says with a nod.
 
Rei decides to help out. “I will get my deck of cards... and then we will play together…”
 
 
Asuka, Rei, and Shinji spend the rest of the morning enjoying each other's company. They play cards, watch some TV, and just sit around and talk. Around 11:30, the phone rings... Rei is the closest and picks it up…
 
“Hello?”
 
“Rei, it's Misato. I was wondering if you wanted to eat lunch together... I could pick you up...”
 
That thought makes Rei feel happy inside. “That sounds nice...”
 
Misato is happy to hear that response. “Great! Once lunch is done, we can start setting up everything for Asuka's party... I was able to get off of work early today...”
 
“That is good... what time will you pick me up?”
 
“I'll be over there in half an hour. See yah then!”
 
Misato hangs up the phone and Rei does the same… she then addresses her two fellow pilots…
 
“Asuka, Shinji!”
 
The pair turn and look at Rei...
 
 
“I will be going out to lunch with mom in half an hour; she is picking me up...”
 
“That's nice... speaking of lunch, what are we going to do, Shinji?” Asuka says while looking at her “other half”…
 
“Umm... I was going to take you out for lunch, Asuka...”
 
“Really? Shinji... you are such a gentleman today... taking me out, making me a special breakfast… I'm very impressed…” Asuka says, very sincere about her words of gratitude.
 
“Um... thanks...” Is the response back from the nervous young man.
 
 
Shortly after Shinji and Asuka leave hand in hand, Misato shows up to take Rei out for lunch. The two of them enjoy talking to each other while eating at a little ramen place downtown. Once finished the two of them return to the apartment to start setting up things for the party. In the meantime, Asuka and Shinji are enjoying a meal at an Italian restaurant...
 
 
When lunch is finished, Shinji and Asuka head back to the apartment. Asuka is surprised when she notices all of the party decorations and stack of presents in the corner of the kitchen. Misato, Rei, Asuka, and Shinji spend some quality family time together, playing cards and talking... Pen-Pen soon joins the poker game, and Asuka immediately becomes ruthless. She knows how good the penguin can play...
 
Time passes and it is soon 5:00 P.M. Hikari, Toji, and Kensuke arrive together... Misato welcomes them inside.
 
“Come in, guys...”
 
Hikari bows slightly. “Thank you, Misato...”
 
Toji takes off his shoes and says: “Thanks...”
 
Kensuke does the same thing but with a hint of nervousness in his voice. The three head to the front room, where Asuka, Shinji, Rei, and Pen-Pen are sitting on the couch...
 
Asuka stands up and addresses the new arrivals. “Glad you could make it!”
 
“It was no problem...” Toji says, finding it easier not to say anything bad to the redhead each time he gets a chance to practice talking with her.
 
Hikari looks around for a moment before asking: “Where do we put your presents?”
 
“There's a pile of presents over in the kitchen... you can put them over there…”
 
“All right...”
 
Kensuke, Hikari and Toji take the presents to the kitchen then return to the front room to talk to the others. When Misato decided the time was right she went to get the birthday cake and lit the fifteen candles on it...
 
 
“Time for cake! Come in the kitchen you guys!”
 
Misato lights the candles as the rest of the group shuffles into the kitchen...
 
Asuka takes a closer look at the cake. “Wow, it looks good! Is it German chocolate?”
 
“Yep. Shinji and I made it this morning...” Misato says proudly. “Now let's sing `Happy Birthday'...”
 
Everyone sings "Happy Birthday" to Asuka... even Pen-Pen squawks along with the song. Afterward, Asuka blows out the candles, Misato cuts the cake, and with Rei's help serves the others...
 
Rei is the first to take a bite of this curious looking cake. “Very tasty...”
 
Asuka takes her fork and eats a piece before saying “Yeah...” to agree with Rei.
 
 
Shinji, Toji, Kensuke, and Hikari are too busy eating to make a reply... and Misato decides now's a good a time as any to have a drink…
 
“Time to celebrate again, Pen-Pen! Get me some Crown Royal and we'll both have a drink!”
 
Pen-Pen happily goes over to his fridge and pulls out a bottle of Crown Royal as Misato gets two glasses and two cans of "Coca-Cola" out...
 
 
Shinji notices what Misato and Pen-Pen are doing and quips: “Misato, you're not going to get drunk, are you?”
 
Misato waves her hand at him playfully. “Nah. Just one or two drinks, I promise...”
 
“Okay... if you say so…”
 
 
Misato and Pen-Pen enjoy some Crown Royal and Coke as Shinji carries the pile of presents out to the front room and sets them down on the floor. Everyone crowds around Asuka as she begins to open her presents...
 
“Thanks, Shinji! Let's see what you guys got me for my birthday... first one is from Toji...”
 
“I um... hope you like it...” The jock says, hoping that his pick of presents was a good one.
 
A few moments later, he has his answer when Asuka opens his present. “Hmm... let's see what we have here... a pair of red running shoes!”
 
Toji explains his present. “I figured... since you like to run, you would like some running shoes...”
 
Asuka looks at the `stooge' and gives him a happy nod. “Thank you, Toji. Next one is from Hikari... I wonder what you got me...”
 
The class rep says nothing about the present but simply says: “Go on, open it up...”
 
“Okay...” The Second Child opens the present up and pulls out some sweatpants and a sweatshirt, both red. “A running outfit! Thanks, Hikari!”
 
“No problem. I figured it would go good with the shoes Toji bought you...” A pleased Hikari says back.
 
Next in the pile is a rather large present, which causes Asuka to exclaim: “I wonder what's in here?” She reads the tag aloud. “From Misato and Pen-Pen...”
 
“Go ahead, open it…” Misato says, encouraging her young charge.
 
“WOW! A new NSS Deluxe system! Thank you, Misato, Pen-Pen!”
 
“SQUUUAAWK!” Is the reply back from the penguin, who is happy that Asuka likes her present.
 
Misato pours another drink for herself and Pen-Pen before speaking to Asuka. “No problem! Hope you enjoy it!”
 
“That's great, Asuka! Now you have your own video game system...” Hikari says with a smile and subtly referring to all those times where Asuka came over because she was the only one with a system.
 
“Yep! Now all I need are some games for it...” Asuka says happily.
 
Rei hands Asuka her present from the pile. “Open my present next...”
 
“Sure...”
 
Shinji tries to get a look at the gift Rei gave Asuka. “What did you get, Asuka?”
 
“I got Mortal Kombat: 2I Edition (2nd Impact) and Super Bomberman 2015! Thank you, Rei!”
 
“You are welcome...” Rei says with a happy nod.
 
Toji wonders what Shinji got for Asuka and begins to nudge Shinji with his elbow. “Hey, Shinji! What did you get her?”
 
Trying to avoid that question, Shinji can only say “I... um...” Asuka comes to his rescue, however.
 
“If you must know, he brought me a German breakfast in bed and took me out to lunch...”
 
“That's so nice of you, Shinji!” The class rep says while nudging Toji, to give him a hint about following a similar idea in the future.
 
Hesitantly, Shinji volunteers some more information. “I... uh have a... another present for Asuka, but I'll give that to her later...”
 
Asuka begins blushing. “Okay... Shinji...”
 
“Heh… go Shinji!” Toji says, knowing full well that his friend would get the obvious reference to certain “activities” from his comment.
 
Too bad for Toji, Hikari does as well and punches him in the arm.
 
Seeing one last present, Asuka reaches for it and check out the tag. “Hmmm… there's one more present here... it's from Kensuke.”
 
After opening the present, Asuka's jaw drops to the ground as she gazes upon what was inside... a broken model of her EVA Unit 02… with several nails pierced through it. Instantly, in her mind, she's taken back to the attack by the SEELE EVA's… the flashback causes her hands to shake and place her left hand over her left eye. The words that were on the card echo through her mind along with the pain of being attacked by those disfigured SEELE EVA's… "Here's to your return home, devil."
 
The box tumbles from her hand as her whole body trembles… `I don't want to think about this… I DON'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT!!!!'
 
Shinji, Hikari, Rei, and Toji look down at the box… which has given up it's contents and is visible for all to see. Rei knows all about the incident in question and cannot help but think about it herself, her eyes close and she finds herself affected a little as well…
 
“What kind of crazy gift is that?” Toji asks, having no idea why Asuka's EVA is full of nails.
 
“What the hell is that?” Hikari asks before looking at Asuka. She can see that her friend is very troubled by it… she turns and looks at the culprit with narrowed eyes…
 
“Kensuke... why'd you do that?”
 
Shinji knows what the EVA with the nails represents… he's flooded with not only her memories of the incident in question- the pain, the agony, the desperation… but also his own guilt and horror about not having the guts to get out there and save her. The battle was one of his worst memories from that attack… and definitely one Asuka's. He gently takes her hand and whispers in her ear… hoping to calm her down a little… “Asuka, Asuka… it's okay… I'm here to save you…”
 
“S-s-shinji…” Is about all she can say back while slowly lowering left hand.
 
Preparing to take Asuka out of the room and away from this situation, Shinji stops when he hears Kensuke comment to Toji.
 
Kensuke glares back at Toji and begins laughing bitterly. “She's a devil, you know it Toji, and if Shinji was more of a man he'd realize it too...”
 
Shinji will hear no excuses for this… he knows how much Asuka loves piloting… and how much her EVA is part of her. To show her unit like that… especially when it's like the SEELE attack… is unforgivable in his mind. “How could you do that? You've hurt her and I won't let anyone hurt my girlfriend like that!”
 
Kensuke stands up... seeing that the quickest exit is the patio; he walks outside and pulls the door closed behind him. On the inside he is hurt that his best friend would choose a girl, especially that girl, over him. Rei watches the incident and then she steps outside to talk to Kensuke...
 
 
“What do you want, Rei?” Kensuke says in a near growl.
 
Rei ignores that and asks a simple question. “I am curious...”
 
Kensuke wasn't expecting that answer and asks a question back in return. “About what?”
 
“Why are you acting this way?”
 
“What way?” He says indignantly.
 
“Why did you get her a gift like that? Is it not customary to give a special gift?”
 
“Yeah right, like I'm going to give a demon a good gift...”
 
Rei keeps the questions coming. “Why do you call her a demon?”
 
Kensuke yells out his answer to this question out of sheer frustration. “What's wrong with you? Can't you see that she's poisoning him?”
 
“Poisoning him? I see that she cares for him, so I do not think that she would poison him...” Rei says, not understanding the meaning behind his statement.
 
Kensuke begins to get aggravated- `Why am I explaining this to her?' Is the thought that passes through his mind.
 
“I mean she's poisoning his mind! I used to know him better than anyone and now he doesn't even call me anymore...”
 
Starting to get a grasp on the situation, Rei asks another question. “You wish him to call you more?”
 
“NO! Well, yes! I don't know! Even Hikari has Toji running around all over the place... it's like they've forgotten about me...”
 
Tears begin to form in Kensuke's eyes and he starts to sob softly to himself. “Since the two of them started dating, they've come over to my place just once, just once Rei! What kind of friends only come by once like that?”
 
“So you wish them to see you more? You are...” The First Child pauses to consider the things she has learned lately and draws her conclusion. “You are... jealous of them?”
 
Before answer that question, Kensuke sighs and realizes that whether he wants to admit it or not, Rei may have hit the nail on the head… “Yes... I'm jealous of them...”
 
“One more question… should you not be happy for them? Normally teenagers pair off… but they normally keep bonds with their other friends…”
 
“If it only worked like that in reality…” Is the otaku's parting comment before walking away from Rei. He heads back into the front room and is asked immediately to leave by Shinji. Not wanting to fight anymore, he does so, though Rei remains on the patio for several minutes afterwards, pondering his words...
 
`He is... jealous but also lonely more then anything else. He has no companion and that bothers him more then anything else. I feel lonely as well… despite having a brother and a mother… and friends such as Asuka and Hikari… I will have to think about this further…'
 
Rei heads back in the house to rejoin the party. Shinji has managed to cheer Asuka up and the party continues on...
 
 
Around 9:30 P.M., Hikari and Toji leave, walking hand in hand. Misato and Rei clean up the front room and kitchen and go to bed. Pen-Pen also turns in for the night... Asuka and Shinji are alone on the couch in the front room... where Shinji is trying to comfort Asuka by gently running his fingers through her hair.
 
 
“Asuka... it'll be ok. He won't mess with you anymore... I will stand up for you now, and always. I also got rid of that horrible present.”
 
“T... thank you, Shinji.” Is the loving reply from Asuka, who lowers her head onto his shoulder. “I'll be okay...”
 
“Toji even stood up for you... he does respect you now...”
 
“Yeah, he does.” After a short pause, Asuka continues. “Other than that incident earlier, today has just been perfect...”
 
Shinji is about to say something when he feels Asuka's lips placing a gentle kiss on his cheek.
 
“You have been the best boyfriend a girl could have... I'm glad I took a chance on you, Shinji…”
 
 
Flattered by the comment, Shinji smiles. “Thanks… I... I try to do my best…”
 
“Shin-Chan, you said you had another present for me... can I see it now?”
 
“S... sure. I'll be right back...”
 
 
Shinji gets up and gets his present for Asuka, then quickly returns. Asuka snuggles up to him and he gives her his present...
 
“I can't wait to see what you have for me!” She says, her voice full of excitement. She takes the rose off of the present. “A rose for me? Shinji...”
 
All of this sweet talk makes Shinji blush. “A... Asuka. Read the card...”
 
Asuka gently opens the card and begins to read it to herself...
 
 
For my girlfriend on her 15th birthday...
 
Adorable
Smart
Understanding
Kind
Angelic
 
Loving
Attractive
Natural
Giving
Lady
Entrancing
Yearn to be with you
 
Sympathetic
Original
Romantic
Youthful
Unique
 
That is you... happy birthday, my angel.
 
I love you
 
Shinji Ikari
 
 
Asuka begins to tremble... the words "I love you" are having a profound effect on her. She had been waiting for Shinji to say those three words to her...
 
Shinji slowly puts his arm around her and pulls her a little closer. “Are you okay, Asuka?”
 
A bright red blush covers her face, making it as red as her hair. “I... I'm fine. Shinji... I... I... love you!”
 
“I... love you, too, Asuka. From the first moment that I laid eyes on you, I knew you were a special woman...” The nervous Shinji says while exchanging glances with his girlfriend.
 
 
Asuka responds by wrapping her arms around Shinji and resting her head over his shoulder. Several minutes later, when Asuka gently break the embrace, she opens her present...
 
“It's a picture of…” She pauses to take a closer look at the picture. “M... ma...”
 
Asuka starts to shake and Shinji gets concerned.
 
“Asuka, what's wrong?”
 
 
With tears in her eyes, Asuka gets up and rushes out of the apartment, holding the picture to her chest... a few moments later, Shinji runs out after her...
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 16: The New Pilots and Misato's Birthday
 
Make sure if you haven't already, check out my two new NGE chapters, 37 and 38, on either mediaminer.org or fan-fics-r-us.com. My next posting will be either Ranma