Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 26: Ladies Night Out ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 26: Ladies Night Out
 
A/N: Oops... this is the last old chapter. The next one will be totally new, will try and get that up sometime this week. Enjoy!
 
 
While Shinji and Asuka were doing their battle sims at NERV headquarters, Toji and Hikari were getting ready to go out on a date…
 
Over at the Horaki residence, Hikari gets ready for her date with Toji. She heads over to her closet and digs out several boxes. She excitedly places them on her bed and opens them up…
 
Hikari: (To herself) I finally get a chance to wear all this nice stuff Misato gave me… I hope that Toji will like it…
 
Hikari closes her door and begins to undress. A few moments later, her sister comes into the room without knocking first, catching Hikari unawares. She blushes for a moment and then turns around…
 
Nozumi: (Apologetically) Oops, sorry. Dinner's almost ready and I wanted to let you know…
 
Hikari: (Agitated) Knock before you come in next time, okay? I'm trying to change in here!
 
Nozumi: (Softly) Sorry… (Starts to walk towards the door)
 
Hikari turns around and then places a hand on her sister's shoulder. She stops and turns around…
 
Hikari: I'm going out tonight; I won't be here for dinner…
 
Nozumi: Oh, okay. (Notices the boxes on the bed) What's in those boxes?
 
Hikari: Here, let me show you.
 
Hikari and Nozumi walk over to the bed and Nozumi checks out the contents of the boxes. She marvels at the wonderful dress and accessories that her sister got for Christmas from Misato.
 
Nozumi: I bet you're going out with your boyfriend tonight…
 
Hikari: (Playing innocent) Why do you say that?
 
Nozumi: Because you have all these special clothes out, and there's lacy lingerie on the bed as well…
 
Hikari blushes and then pushes her sister towards the door…
 
Hikari: Tell Kodoma I'm going out to dinner and I'll be back later, okay? I have to get finish getting dressed…
 
Nozumi: Will do. (Goes out of the room and closes the door behind her)
 
Hikari: (To herself) Let's get back to business…
 
Hikari finishes changing and takes a look at herself in the mirror. She does a few modeling poses in front of it and smiles…
 
Hikari: (Softly to herself) It's a little bit showy in the front, but otherwise is pretty nice. I wonder what Toji will think of it?
 
After grabbing her new purse, she heads towards the front door. Kodoma walks over towards Hikari and takes her picture…
 
Hikari: (Angry once again) Hey! What was that for?
 
Kodoma: Well, Nozumi told me you were getting all dressed up for a date, so I had to see for myself. I guess you are starting to grow up- look at that dress. I'd never expect to see you in something like that… since you're so conservative…
 
Hikari: (Almost speechless) Well, um… (Puts on her coat)
 
Kodoma: (Smiles) Go and have some fun. This is a good change in you, Hikari… don't be afraid of change.
 
Hikari: Thanks… (The doorbell rings) He's here, I have to go. See you two later!
 
Kodoma closes the door behind Hikari and heads back to the kitchen, where Nozumi is eating dinner…
 
Nozumi: Was I right? Did she look pretty in her new dress?
 
Kodoma: Yep, and I got it on film to prove it. All I have to say is… it's about time…
 
Outside the door, a nervous Toji and Hikari share a warm hug and then Toji gives Hikari a “look-over”…
 
Toji: (Still nervous) You look nice, Hikari… and I can only see part of your outfit. Umm… I think the rest will look nice too…
 
Hikari: (Placing a kiss on Toji's cheek) Thank you. This is the new dress that Misato gave me, it fits perfectly. Since it's my choice for dinner, why don't we go to that new Italian place downtown? I want to try something different and exotic for our date…
 
Toji: Sounds good to me. (Takes Hikari's hand and holds it) Lead the way.
 
As they walk towards the Italian place, Toji thinks to himself. `I'm glad I dug out some of my nice clothes for this date, she looks great! I know she likes what I have on; she couldn't help but smile when she saw me standing there…'
 
Back at the Katsuragi residence, Misato, Kaji, Asuka, Shinji, and Rei are sitting down at the kitchen table.
Misato has a look of surprise on her face, she had just asked what Rei and Kaji did to pass the time while she had taken the other kids to NERV for the battle sims…
 
Misato: (Surprised) Kaji playing… video games? I wouldn't have seen that one coming…
 
Kaji: Don't be so surprised, my dear. I had a Super Famicon as a kid and it was loads of fun…
 
Asuka: (Curious) What game did you guys play?
 
Rei: Super Bomberman. He learned to play quite quickly, providing me some challenge…
 
Shinji and the others chuckle as a result of Rei's comment. Kaji rolls his eyes and stares at them menacingly…
 
Shinji: Some challenge… (Continues to laugh)
 
Kaji: (Defensively) Hey! It's been a long time since I played any video games… I'm a little rusty, yah know!
 
Misato: (With a smile) At least you were spending some quality father-daughter time together. (Nudges Kaji, who is sitting next to her) I told you that you could handle this fatherhood thing…
 
Kaji: So far so good. Rei has been wonderful.
 
Rei nods her head in appreciation and then slides a picture that is upside-down on the table over to Misato…
 
Rei: We also talked for a while, Kaji found that picture this morning. (Looks at Misato) Mom, why would you send my brother this picture?
 
Misato: (Nervously as she looks at the picture) Err… Kaji…
 
Kaji: (Grins) It's a nice picture, I like the view. (Misato shoots him a dirty look) Why you sent this picture is a mystery to me… please tell us.
 
Misato: (Glancing at Kaji again) Well, umm…
 
Rei: Were you planning on seducing my brother?
 
Asuka: (Shocked) What was that? (Grabs the picture from Misato's hands) Let me see that picture!
 
To see what the picture looks like, go to page 16 and pic 131 on my website…
 
(A/N: It's the picture from Episode 1 of NGE, with Misato bending over- the one she sent Shinji)
 
Shinji quietly sits back in his chair and wisely says nothing. Asuka looks at the picture and gets angry…
 
Asuka: You sent this to him when he first came here… (Shakes her head) Geez, Misato… I didn't know you were that desperate… (Her voice trails off)… going after a 14 year old…
 
Misato: (Loudly) Hey! Showing off my body is… kinda of my trademark, yah know. (Pauses and then looks at Asuka) You don't have to worry about Shinji; he gave the picture back to me as soon as he moved in. He's not a hentai.
 
Shinji breathes a sigh of relief, Misato has cleared him of any “wrong doing”, he hopes.
 
Asuka: (Playing with Shinji's head) If you say so…
 
Shinji: Asuka!
 
Asuka: (With a cute smile) Just kidding, Shinji.
 
Misato: (Trying to change the subject) Well, now that we got all that cleared up, why don't we have something to eat? I'm hungry again, I'm sure Asuka, and Shinji could use something to eat after facing that battle sim.
 
Kaji: (Curious) How did it go?
 
Asuka: (Proudly) Well, I think it went pretty well. I managed to take out five…
 
Shinji coughs and then glances over at Asuka.
 
Asuka: (Catching Shinji's “hint”) Ok, we got five each.
 
Shinji: (Nods his head) Thank you Asuka.
 
Asuka: (With pride) I'm still the better pilot…
 
Shinji moves his chair closer to Asuka and then hugs her…
 
Shinji: Of course, my angel…
 
Misato: (With mock sweetness) Awww…
 
Kaji: I'll make us something to eat and we can talk further… (Stands up and heads into the kitchen to make a snack)
 
Misato: Sounds good. (Suddenly remembers something) Speaking of battle sims, the other pilots have to go in tomorrow for their own sim…
 
Asuka: I guess it's your turn to have some “fun”, Rei.
 
Shinji: (Concerned) Be careful, Rei.
 
Rei: (Gratefully) I will be watchful, Shinji.
 
Misato: Rei, can you pass me the phone? I have to call and leave messages with Toji and Kensuke, so they know about tomorrow's test…
 
As Rei walks over to the phone, Asuka suddenly remembers something…
 
Asuka: Toji's not home, he's out on a date with Hikari… (To herself) I wonder how Hikari's doing…
 
Misato: (Receiving the phone from Rei) Thanks. Well, I'll leave him a message then…
 
Rei: I would like to talk to Kensuke if he is home…
 
Misato smiles and nods while Asuka giggles. Rei blushed and Shinji put a hand on Asuka's shoulders.
 
Shinji: Come on Asuka, you would want to do the same in her position wouldn't you?
 
Asuka: I know, I'm just… happy for her.
 
Misato: (Covering the bottom of the phone) Hey, he is home. (Talking into the phone) Hello? Kensuke? This is Misato. You, Toji, and Rei have a battle sim to go to tomorrow…
 
Kensuke: (On the other end of the line) Oh, okay.
 
Misato: I'll pick you up around 2 P.M.
 
Kensuke: Sounds good to me, I'll be ready.
 
Misato: Good. I'm gonna go now… but stay on the line for Rei…
 
Kensuke: (Nervously) Umm… sure. (Takes a deep breath and prepares to talk to Rei)
 
Rei: (Taking the phone from Misato and walking into the hallway) Ken-kun?
 
Kensuke: H-hi Rei. How are y-you doing?
 
Rei: I am fine. I was wondering if you wanted to come over after tomorrow's battle simulations.
 
Kensuke: (Happy and nervous all at once) S-S-Sure, Rei. S-Sounds good to me.
 
Rei: (Happily) I will see you tomorrow, Ken-kun. Good night.
 
Kensuke: Good night.
 
Rei hangs up the phone and joins the ongoing conversation at the table. After hanging up on his end of the line, Kensuke lies back on his bed and thinks to himself… `Why am I so nervous? It's not like I haven't been over there before. There's just something about her soft voice that gets me all nervous inside. Oh well, I guess I'll see her tomorrow…'
 
Over in another part of Tokyo-3, freshly prepared dishes are delivered to Hikari and Toji's booth. Both eagerly gaze at the wonderful food and start to dig in.
 
Hikari: Now that you can see my whole outfit, what do you think? (Looks intently at Toji)
 
Toji looks over Hikari's outfit once again. He really likes the dress that she is wearing, he thinks to himself… `Misato really picked out a good outfit for her, she looks great!'
Toji: You look great, Hikari. It really… (Glances at her upper body for a moment and then diverts his gaze to her face)… looks good on you. The color is nice, too.
 
Hikari blushes for a moment- she caught him looking at her chest but decides to say nothing. She plants a kiss on his lips and then smiles…
 
Hikari: Thanks, Toji. You look handsome tonight…
 
Toji: (Turns away a little in embarrassment) Really? Thanks…
 
Hikari: I think we should eat our food before it gets cold… (Starts to eat her ravioli)
 
Toji nods and starts to eat. Both teens cannot help but stare at one another while they're eating. After all of the food is gone, Toji asks for the check. The amount on the check makes his eyebrows rise slightly, but he takes out his wallet and realizes that he has more then enough money…
 
Toji: (To himself) Wow… I didn't realize how much this NERV money would come in handy… I deserve it for piloting for those people again. (Turns and looks at Hikari) After I pay for the bill, maybe we can get some hot chocolate and go for a walk together…
 
Hikari: (Impressed) Sounds good to me…
 
After Toji pays the bill and tips the waiter, Hikari gets up and then sits down next to Toji, lying her head on his shoulder…
 
Hikari: Thank you for taking me out tonight, Toji. I enjoyed being with you… (Blushes slightly) We should do this more often…
 
Toji: (Not believing his luck) Of course… (Takes her hand) Want to take a walk together and talk? The hot chocolate is on me… it'll be fun. (Points at the window) There's some light snow in the air…
 
Hikari: (Very softly) Sounds romantic…
 
Toji doesn't catch what she said but gives her hand a squeeze anyways. Both of them put on their coats and head over to a store to get some hot chocolate. As they sip on the hot chocolate, both walk together and gaze with wonder at the falling snow…
 
Hikari: I'd never thought I would see it snow here in Japan…
 
Toji: (With his eyes on Hikari) I know… it's so beautiful.
 
Hikari: (Notices his stare and blushes a little) Yes… it is…
 
After a brief pause, both continue to walk on. Hikari stops and brushes the snow off a nearby bench and sits down. Toji does the same thing and then places his arm around Hikari…
 
Toji: Is something wrong?
 
Hikari: No… I just wanted to stop for a minute. (Looks at Toji intently) Toji, I really had fun this evening…
 
Toji: (With a smile) I'm glad you did. I always like spending time with you…
 
Hikari: Me too. (Pauses for a moment) You're different then you are in school, I mean…
 
Toji: (Has the urge to react vocally but suppresses the feeling) Well, so are you…
 
Hikari: (Softly) (Looks down at the ground) I know…
 
Toji: Being with you is… (Tries to put his feelings into words)… different. I'm glad you gave me a chance to show this other side of me…
 
Hikari: (Looks at Toji) I don't like being in “Class Rep” mode all the time, either…
 
Toji: (Smiling) Okay. Still, you can be cute when you're angry…
 
Hikari playfully hits Toji with her purse and the two continue to talk for a while. Some time passes and then Toji walks Hikari home. Outside of the entrance to Hikari's apartment, both pause and look thoughtfully at the other…
 
Hikari: Thank you for a wonderful evening, Toji…
 
Hikari begins to kiss Toji and he wraps his arms around her and pulls her closer. Several minutes pass before the kiss is broken. Hikari steps back and smiles…
 
Hikari: I'll call you tomorrow, okay?
 
Toji: Sure. Good night.
 
Hikari: Good night.
 
Toji turns around and heads back home. On the way back, he thinks to himself- `Those books that I got for Christmas really helped, I think she was impressed with me tonight. I hope I can keep this up…' Back at the Horaki residence, Hikari heads inside and finds her older sister waiting inside the door…
 
Kodoma: (Curious) Soooo… how did your date go?
 
Hikari: It was fun, and he was very nice and was a real gentleman. He's become more of a gentleman… and I like it… (Blushes a little)
 
Kodoma: Where'd you go for dinner?
 
Hikari: We went to that new Italian place that just opened up. The restaurant was nice and the food was great.
 
Kodoma: (Continuing her “sisterly” interrogation) Good, good… anything else happen?
 
Hikari: (Blushing a little) Well, we went for a walk in the snow and talked… it was fun…
 
Kodoma: You're really into this guy… I can tell. I want to give you some advice, you know, from sister to sister…
 
Hikari: Okay.
 
Kodoma: Don't rush things, take the time to explore your personal feelings and find what his are. You don't want things to go to far… or become too complicated. Take your time and everything will work itself out, ok Sis?
 
Hikari: (Nods her head) Thanks, Kodoma.
 
Kodoma gets up and gives her sister a hug. Hikari yawns and then heads off to change for bed. She thinks about her date with Toji as she lies in bed… Kodoma's words to her earlier also play thru her mind…
 
Across town, Toji finds a message on his answering machine as soon as he gets in. He hits play and then listens as the message plays. A loud sigh is heard as soon as the message finishes playing…
 
In his mind, Toji realizes that this day was coming for some time now… that fact that it is finally here makes him sit down and think about the situation. In his room he ponders what it would feel like to be in the simulation plug, to be “there” again- inside an EVA sim that is fully hooked up to the mind. Thoughts of what happened to him the last time he was in an EVA flood his mind… images and feelings, the pain and suffering… all come back in an instant. Sleep takes a long time to find Toji… he just can't get himself settled down enough to relax…
 
 
Saturday January 9th, 2016
 
 
As the sunlight pours through the windows of the Katsuragi apartment, one Shinji Ikari is up and eating breakfast. He is pondering a piece of art he had just finished a few moments ago…
 
Shinji: (Softly to himself) I hope she likes it…
 
Out of nowhere a pair of arms wrap around Shinji's waist, startling him…
 
Asuka: (Softly and sweetly) Likes what?
 
Shinji: (Surprised) Asuka! (Pauses for a moment and decides to tell her about her present now) I made a drawing of you… (Blushes slightly and passes the drawing to Asuka) What do you think?
 
Asuka takes the drawing and looks over it with awe. She had no idea that Shinji was artistic. A broad smile forms on her face as she contemplates how Shinji chose to portray her… as an angel in a schoolgirl's uniform…
 
To see a picture of the drawing, go to page 20, picture #157 on my website.
 
Asuka: (Happily) Thank you, Shin-chan. (Places a kiss on his cheek) I'm going to hang this up in my room right now… I'll be back in a minute…
 
Asuka leaves the room and works on finding the “perfect” spot to display this wonderful drawing of her. Back in the kitchen, Shinji finishes off his breakfast with a slight grin on his face and thinks to himself… `She liked it! I was hoping that she would… (Pauses) I guess I can draw pretty good…'
 
Shinji finishes off his food and puts the dishes into the kitchen sink. As he walks back towards the table, Asuka walks up behind him and wraps her arms around him again…
 
Asuka: Shinji… I noticed something in your drawing that really made me think…
 
Shinji: (Not sure of how to react) What did you notice?
 
Asuka: Well… for one thing… I noticed how you drew my hair. You must really like my hair a lot… (Gives him a little squeeze)
 
Shinji: Your hair is beautiful… I really like the color and how soft it is…
 
Asuka: (Very flattered) Thanks. (Coming to her 2nd point about the drawing) I also noticed that you showed a lot of my legs in that drawing… I never noticed you staring at them before…
 
Shinji blushes and then stammers a reply to Asuka…
 
Shinji: I… um… like all of you, Asuka.
 
Asuka: (Smiles and then speaks softly) Shin-chan… I guess you're appreciating the whole package… from the top… (Swishes her long, soft hair around, causing it to brush against Shinji's neck)… to the middle… (Presses her chest against him, causing to him blush)… to the bottom… (Gently rubs her left leg against his)
 
As Asuka flirts with Shinji, he cannot help but think to himself… `I didn't know she could be so frisky in the morning- she has lots of energy today…'
 
Just after finishing his thought, Asuka lets go of him and stands in front of him, her left hand resting on her hip with her right hand running though her hair. She has one leg straight and the other she bends it slightly showing off her legs and her butt to him… just as she said, from top to bottom. Shinji can only blush in response, he is able to manage a nod a moment later. Asuka smiles and presses her lips against his. The two enjoy a quiet, intimate moment together and then after the kiss is finished, Asuka quietly makes herself some breakfast. Both Shinji and Asuka are careful not to make too much noise- Misato likes to sleep in on Saturdays and Rei needs to be well rested for the battle sim later today.
 
Rei walks into the kitchen around 9:30 A.M., and finds Shinji and Asuka on the couch watching TV. She makes herself some breakfast and then sits down on the couch with them. Misato and Kaji wake up a little later, Kaji makes a large breakfast for both of them and Misato gets herself ready to go.
 
Time passes and soon it's 1 P.M. Kaji gives Misato a goodbye kiss and then heads out with Rei. Toji is the first to be picked up. After getting into the car and exchanging greetings with those inside, he buckles his safety belt immediately- he is very familiar with Misato's driving habits…
 
Kensuke looks out his apartment window and sees a blue blur heading down the street. He muses to himself… `Must be Misato… I'd better head downstairs…'
 
Misato's car screeches to a halt right in front of Kensuke's apartment complex, leaving a long track of skid marks on the street. Misato chuckles after taking a glance over at Toji, who is clutching the seat tightly…
 
Toji: (To Rei) Her driving doesn't bother you?
 
Rei: Not as much as it used to…
 
Misato: (Looking around for Kensuke) I guess my daughter is finally getting used to my driving…
 
Kensuke emerges on the ground level a moment later and gets into the car. Misato takes off towards NERV headquarters. On the way, the four engage in small talk to pass the time…
 
Kensuke: (With a hint of anticipation and nervousness) This is it, huh? Our first battle sim together… I can't wait…
 
Toji: I'm not looking forward to going back into combat… (Sigh)
 
Misato: (Trying to cheer Toji up) Hey, don't worry about it too much. (Pauses) I'll tell you three what I told Shinji and Asuka when they had their test- I'll try to do my best to keep the simulation at a lower level- this is the first time all three of you have worked together. However, Commander Ikari has the true control over the test- but I'll do what I can to help you guys out. Do your best, okay?
 
Rei looks thoughtfully at Misato; her comments were exactly what were needed to lighten up the mood before this test…
 
Kensuke: Of course we'll do our best! We're gonna kick some butt!
 
The car passes thru the NERV security gate and then is loaded onto the tram to head down to the base. Soon the pilots arrive and head over to the changing room to get ready. Rei and Kensuke get dressed quickly in their respective rooms, Toji reluctantly puts on the suit again and sits down on the bench in the changing room.
Kensuke walks over and puts a hand on his friends' shoulder…
 
Kensuke: I know you don't want to do this again… but we need you. (Pauses to think for a moment) What do you think Hikari would say to you right now?
 
Toji: (Thinks to himself for a moment) Hmm… she probably say to get your butt out there and just do it.
 
Kensuke: (Giving Toji a slight push) Well… let's go then! I'm sure they're waiting for us in the control room.
 
Toji stands up and both pilots head to the control room, where Rei, Misato, and Maya are already waiting. Misato and Maya explain the test and give directions to the three pilots. Misato and Maya watch with great interest as the test begins.
 
The simulation and the simulated opponent Eva's run a little different this time… there are three Eva's instead of two. The battle resembles more a brawl- the SEELE Eva's are very hands on in this battle. Three Eva's surround both Kensuke and Toji- Rei, being the more experienced pilot, finds herself dealing with four opponents…
 
Rei: (Grappling with the nearest Eva) The Eva series appears to be rather easy to beat… (Slips a massive punch into the Eva she was grappling with, shattering its core and causing a massive explosion)
 
Toji: (Over the radio to Rei) Speak for yourself… (Dodges a stabbing attack)
 
Kensuke is using his excitement to overcome his fear as he positions himself to destroy his first opponent. Rei has found out that the difficulty level of her opponents has risen- she has just had been pinned to the ground by one Eva while the other two prepare their lances and prepare to charge from opposite ways into the now immobilized Rei…
 
Misato and Maya watch in horror as the two Eva's start their deadly charge towards Rei. Both are surprised to hear a loud “Damn” over the speaker that is tuned into Rei's cockpit…
 
Misato: (Shocked) What did she just say?! Did she just swear?
 
Maya: (Under her breath) Not surprising…
 
Misato: (Narrowing her eyes) What do you mean by that?
 
Maya: (Thinking of a quick response) Umm… she picked it up off of Asuka…
 
Misato: (Changing her mood suddenly) Of course you're probably right… but let's see how she handles this one- the boys appear to be doing okay for the moment…
 
Rei's situation is indeed the most critical- she is about to get impaled by two different lances. She struggles against the Eva that is pining her down, straining her muscles to their max…
 
Rei: (Out loud to herself) I have too much to live for now… I cannot be defeated…
 
At the last moment, Rei breaks free and jumps straight up in the air; causing the two charging Eva's to impale the other one. Neither core was hit, but both are stuck while trying to remove the lances. The other Eva starts to attack Rei viciously… she takes several blows before taking the lance away from it and stabbing its core, causing another explosion. Two other explosions are heard elsewhere at the same moment…
 
Kensuke: (Holding a lance in his right hand) I did it! I got one!
 
Toji: Good job, but there are two more for each of us. I just nailed one, too.
 
Toji and Kensuke make tracks towards each other to put up a better defense and to get closer to Rei, in case she needs any help. At the top of a nearby hill, Rei finishes off the two remaining Eva's…
 
Rei: I took out the trash.
 
All four listeners gape at Rei's joke…
 
Toji: Did Rei just make a joke?
 
Kensuke: I-I think she did…
 
Rei: Did I not say the correct thing, Ken-kun?
 
Kensuke: Yes, you did. That was a nice joke.
 
Rei: (Blushing) Thank you, Ken-kun.
 
Maya: (Suspiciously) What have you people been doing to Rei?
 
Misato: (Shocked) What?
 
Maya: (Trying to explain what she means) She just seems different… maybe more… normal?
 
Misato: (Sighs) It's a long story… (Points at the monitor) Look at that… I've never seen an Eva wrestling match before…
 
The valley where Toji and Kensuke face their final opponents surrounded by high bluffs in four places, making it resemble a wrestling ring. (Two Eva's had been destroyed while Misato and Maya were talking and not paying attention) As Misato made her last comment, the two remaining opponent Eva's jump off of the bluffs and land on Toji and Kensuke's Eva's, knocking them to the ground. Both pilots are rolling around on the ground, wrestling with their last opponents…
 
Toji rolled on top of his opponent, and started punching it in the face, but the Mass Produced Eva wasn't going down without a fight, it got an arm free and grabbed onto his neck and began choking him. Toji delivered a kick to his opponent and it released him momentarily, allowing him to slam his prog knife into the core of the Eva.
 
Toji straightened up and looked over at how Kensuke was doing, his opponent was on top of him, their arms locked and each pushing for dominance. Toji went over, grabbed the white Eva by the shoulder, and threw it back, giving time for Kensuke to scramble up to his feet.
 
Kensuke: (Slightly annoyed) I had that...
 
Toji: Yeah right.
 
The Eva came for them again and the two performed a team round kick, sending it flying and landing on top of a lance stuck in the ground. A huge explosion soon followed and then… silence…
 
Maya: Good teamwork you two. (Turns her head to look at the visual for Rei's cockpit) That was incredible work Rei, you really showed those simulated Eva's whose boss…
 
Rei: (Flattered) Thank you, Lt. Commander Ibuki.
 
Misato: You guys can get cleaned up now, the test is over. Come down to the control center when you're done.
 
The three pilots head off to the showers and clean up. Toji and Kensuke talk to each other as they change back into their regular clothes…
 
Kensuke: I told you that you could do it…
 
Toji: (Sighs) I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be… still… (Flexes his arm) I got hit all over… my arms are kinda sore…
 
Kensuke: My shoulders are kinda tight… those thing sure pack a punch. (Rubs his shoulder)
 
Toji: (Standing up) Come on, let's get going so we can get the hell outta here!
 
Kensuke: (Standing up as well) You can say that again.
 
Toji and Kensuke head over to the control room, where Rei is waiting with the others. Maya begins playback of the recording of the battle… the view currently shows Kensuke and Toji fighting…
 
Rei: (Studying the screen intently) Impressive…
 
Kensuke blushes after Rei's comment- she really liked the way he handled his Eva. Maya presses a button and the view shifts to Rei and her battle. The part where she pounded an Eva and then jumped out of the way of the two charging ones is shown on the viewer. Toji and Kensuke's jaws drop to the ground as they witness Rei's combat ability firsthand. Toji is only able to utter one word… “Wow.”
 
Kensuke softly places his right hand on Rei's shoulder. She places one of her hands on top of his and holds it there…
 
Kensuke: (Nervously) You… you were awesome, Rei.
 
Rei: (Her face turning bright red) Thank you, Ken-kun. You did quite well yourself.
Kensuke blushes and continues to hold onto Rei's hand. Misato turns around and notices what they are doing and just nods at Rei. She is happy inside for her daughter, she can see that the bond between her and Kensuke is growing stronger. The three pilots and Misato leave NERV headquarters a few minutes later, happy to be done with this test. In another part of headquarters, a display is turned off…
 
Gendo: Most impressive, especially for the new child. There is much potential for growth…
 
Kozo: I was really impressed with Rei's fighting skills; I didn't know she could fight that well…
 
Gendo: Indeed, she is almost on the level of 2nd and 3rd child…
 
Back over in Tokyo-3, Misato drops off Toji first. He immediately heads upstairs and calls Hikari- he discusses the experience of piloting again with her and feels a little bit better about it after talking with her. After arriving back at Misato's apartment, Kensuke and Rei sit on the couch in the front room and look at some of Rei's CD's…
 
Rei: I picked these out of the pile of CD's that mom had, I like the music. There is a harmony in the singing that is not present in music today…
 
Kensuke: (Curious) What do you mean?
 
Rei: The singers' voices are in harmony and their voices complement each other. Also, the music is not too “loud” and makes for easy listening…
 
Kensuke: Okay, sounds good. Play something for me…
 
Rei nods her head and pops in a Temptations CD. Both listen to the first couple songs and Kensuke can see what Rei meant earlier about the singing. As the music plays, Kensuke notices that Rei's shoulders are twitching a little…
 
Kensuke: Are you okay?
 
Rei: My shoulders are feeling a little tight.
 
Kensuke: (Gulps) Can I um… rub your shoulders? You'll feel better…
 
Rei: (With a smile) (Positions herself so he can easily rub her shoulders) Go ahead.
 
Misato's door opens and she heads to the bathroom. She notices what Kensuke is doing and thinks to herself… `Aww… that's sweet of him to do that for her…'
 
Kensuke rubs Rei's shoulders and the she does the same for him, both make a note of songs that really catch their attention…
 
Back over at headquarters, an alarming report is received and is silently read by both Commander Ikari and Vice-Commander Fuyutski… another agent has been killed, and there has been an increase in suspicious incidents in the area- so far the targets have been Section-2 personnel. Both commanders are in agreement on one thing… the targets can change to the pilots at anytime…
 
To be continued in Chapter 27 “Fun” in the Snow.