Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 28: Evening Talks ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 28: Evening Talks
 
Thanks to Ranmasaotome103, Datexn, Chris, Danny171984, and Fusionblaster for prereading and helping with this chapter. My site is down until further notice, unfortunately, but I will still have pictures references set up so when it does come back, you can see the pictures.
 
Kaji, Shinji, and Kensuke are hitting Misato with snowballs while Asuka and Rei talk to each other. Pen-Pen, after about one minute of snowball throwing, decides to stand in front of Misato and squawks in an attempt to get them to stop.
 
Kaji: I think that's enough guys… (Looks at Misato) Are you okay?
 
Misato: (Starts brushing the snow out of her hair and off of her clothes) Yeah… but is this anyway to treat your…
 
Misato's comment is cut off by a swift kiss from Kaji. A scuffling noise is heard a moment later- Toji emerges from the cave and helps Hikari out as well. She brushes the snow off of her body and looks at Toji. He trembles, expecting the worst…
 
Toji: Look, umm… Hikari… about what happened…
 
Hikari: (Thinks to herself for a moment, causing Toji to get even more nervous due to the extended waiting) Toji… we'll talk about it later, okay?
 
Toji: (Breathes a sigh of relief) S-sure…
 
Shinji: Well, I think that's about it for this battle…
 
Asuka: Good point Shinji… we should go back inside and get dried off.
 
Misato: (Breaking the kiss with Kaji) Yeah… but Kaji here has to go back in separately… so there's no suspicion…
 
Kaji: You're right, my dear… I'll meet you guys upstairs in a little while…
 
Kaji heads back to “his” apartment while Misato surveys the battlefield… `What a mess… we really had quite a battle here…'
 
Hikari: (To Misato) Misato, could Toji and I come inside to dry off?
 
Misato: Sure, no problem. Asuka and Shinji can lend you some clothes while we put yours in the dryer.
 
Hikari: (Happily) Thanks!
 
Kensuke: Well, let's get inside… I'm starting to get cold.
 
Rei takes Kensuke's hand into hers and she starts walking towards the apartment, a nervous Kensuke blushes and silently walks along side her.
 
Misato: (Softly to herself) Looks like Rei is starting to be a little more serious with her boyfriend…
 
Shinji looks at the two of them walking hand in hand and can't help but feel that they are moving too fast. Thinking fast he comes up with a plan.
 
Shinji: What are we waiting for? I'm getting cold… (Shivers)
 
Misato: Good point.
 
Misato starts walking back inside with the others follow behind her. Right before the group reaches the main elevator bank, Asuka tugs on Misato's jacket. Getting the clue that Asuka wants to talk privately she waves the rest of the group on allowing them to go upstairs while Misato decides to find out what Asuka needs. The worried look on her face is not a good sign…

Misato: (Concerned) Asuka, is something wrong?
 
Asuka: (Worried) It's about Shinji… I know you didn't see all of what happened, but it really scared me. He thought… that I died… and it was his fault.
 
Misato: Why would he think that?
 
Asuka: (Recalls the painful memories and cringes for a moment) After you sent Shinji down that elevator shaft, he got to his EVA and wasn't able to help me while I fought those SEELE EVA's… (Shudders at the recalled memories) I think he still feels guilty about it. I have his memories… and so I understand what he was going through…
 
Misato thinks to herself… `I didn't notice what happened… and Asuka is scared… this is really serious. I can't believe I missed that… I'd better find out more about what happened so I can help Asuka out here…'
 
Misato: Thanks for telling me about this. Did anything else happen?
 
Asuka: Yea… he just spaced out and curled up into a ball. He was talking like… like he was his old self. I don't like seeing him like that… we've helped each other so much…
 
Misato: (Very impressed by Asuka's maturity) You two have been through hell… that's why I cut you two a good bit of slack. I know you love Shinji… and he's like my son. We'll think of something to help him get through this.
 
Asuka: Thanks, Misato…
 
Misato gives Asuka a quick hug and then the two head upstairs to the apartment. As soon as they step inside, Kaji takes Misato by the hand and starts dragging her down the hallway towards their room…
 
Misato: What are you doing?
 
Kaji: I left the kids a note and some money… I have to do something important with you…
 
Misato: (Winks at him) I bet…
 
Kaji: (Stops and then softly whispers in her ear) Well, you did say you were all wet… and I think you need to get out of those wet clothes…
 
Misato: (Kisses him on the cheek) Only if I get to help you out…
 
Kaji: It's a deal…
 
Asuka and Shinji sigh as Kaji and Misato rush into their room and lock the door behind them…
 
Toji: (Having no idea about what's going on) I wonder what was the hurry?
 
Rei: Mom and Kaji must be acting on those urges again…
 
Hikari: You don't mean…
 
Asuka: (Plainly) Yes, Hikari… those two are having sex…
 
Shinji blushes slightly after Asuka's comment. Asuka notices and instead of getting angry at his apparent hentai thoughts… she decides to tease him.
 
Asuka: Yeah… we had them get soundproofing… right Rei, Shinji?
 
Kensuke: (Trying not to let his mind wander too much) S-sound-proofing?
 
Rei: Yes. I could hear their… activities all the way in my room…
 
Toji, Hikari, and Kensuke look at Rei wide-eyed and are speechless. Shinji puts an arm around Asuka and decides to tease her back…
 
Shinji: It was really distracting for Asuka and I… hearing all of that moaning… it was kinda hard to get any sleep…
 
Asuka blushes and recalls that last night before they confronted Misato and Kaji. Both her and Shinji had made “comments” about each other during that discussion… the way Shinji just said the word “hard” also gets her mind going…
 
Asuka: (Whispers into Shinji's ear) You're getting to be a little hentai…
 
Shinji: (Whispers back) I wasn't the one who started that make out session after hearing all that noise…
 
Asuka turns red as a tomato. Toji, Hikari, and Kensuke have finally regained their composure and look at Asuka- her red face attracts their attention.
 
Hikari: Are you okay, Asuka?
 
Asuka: Umm… yeah… (Regains her composure) (Decides to change the subject) Soo… did anyone read that note that Kaji left for us?
 
Toji: Yeah… it said to order whatever we wanted for lunch… and to get extra for them later. There was some money on the table, too…
 
Shinji: Okay… what should we eat then?
 
Pen-Pen comes out of his fridge and tugs on Toji's leg…
 
Toji: Hey, I think we need to order something for Pen-Pen here, too…
 
Asuka: Well, if we need this much food… then I suggest ordering some pizzas…
 
Rei: I would like to have some of that again as well…
 
Asuka: Any objections? (Looks around the room) Well, pizza it is!
 
Shinji finds out what kind of pizza to order and then places an order. He gets out a change of clothes for Kensuke and Toji and then takes a quick shower and places his clothes in the dryer. The others play video games on the NSS system to pass the time…
 
Shinji: I'm done… I think you were next, Kensuke… (Hands him some clothes)
 
Kensuke: Take my place, Shinji… (Hands him the game controller)
 
Kensuke takes a shower and then he switches with Toji. The girls and guys had used a coin flip earlier to determine who gets to get cleaned up first. Just after Toji exits the bathroom, the pizza arrives. The wonderful aroma permeates the apartment, making all six teens stomachs rumble.
 
Asuka: (Excited) Finally, it's here! Let's eat!
 
Rei gets some soda for everyone and then the teens begin eating. Pen-Pen tugs at Hikari's leg and she gives him a few slices of pizza… Pen-Pen squawks in delight. He then takes the pizza and heads back to his fridge for some peace and quiet.
 
Toji: Aren't they gonna eat? (Looks at Misato's door)
 
Asuka: Probably not. Sometimes they're in that room for hours…
 
Hikari: (Blushes) Hours?
 
Asuka: (Pausing between slices of pizza) Yep.
 
Kensuke, Hikari, and Toji blush for a moment after realizes the true nature of what Asuka meant.
 
Rei: I am finished. (Wipes her mouth with a napkin)
 
Shinji: (Surprised) Already? How many pieces did you eat?
 
Rei: Six. The pizza was quite good; I really liked the sausage and cheese variety.
 
Asuka: Glad you liked it. This is the best pizza in Tokyo-3, yah know…
 
Toji: I have to admit, you picked a good place to order from…
 
Asuka: (Kinda surprised by what Toji said) Why thank you…
 
Rei: I will take a shower and change, since you and Hikari are not done eating yet.
 
Asuka: Okay, go ahead…
 
Rei heads back to her room and then grabs a change of clothes and heads for the shower. Asuka and Hikari talk at the table after they finish lunch… Shinji and the other guys decide to play some games on the NSS system.
 
Rei finishes her shower, changes, and then deposits her clothes in the dryer. When she returns to the kitchen she finds Asuka and Hikari talking about their boyfriends. Hikari's face is quite flushed…
 
Rei: (Sitting down at the table) Hikari, you appear to be embarrassed…
 
Hikari: (Trying to deny it) Oh no… it's nothing… Asuka was just…
 
Asuka: (Continuing the thought) I was just telling her about how bold Shinji has been lately… he can't seem to keep his hands off of my butt…
 
Rei: It appears that my brother has become more comfortable with his expressions of affection…
 
Asuka: Yeah, he has. It looks like my training is beginning to work…
 
Hikari: Oh…
 
Hikari is very surprised at Asuka's admission just a moment ago... but then remembers her mentioning something about this kind of training before near the time of the “bra trick” incident…
 
Shinji: (From the front room) Are you guys talking about me?
 
Rei is about to say something when Asuka puts a hand over her mouth, which stops her from speaking.
 
Asuka: Don't worry about it, Shin-chan…
 
Shinji: Oh, okay… (Returns to playing the game) (To himself) I could've sworn I heard my name… oh well. Back to the game…
 
Rei: (To Asuka) Why did you stop me from speaking?
 
Asuka: Well… this is girl talk.
 
Rei: (Having no idea about what Asuka is talking about) Girl talk?
 
Hikari: Rei, it's private talk among us girls…
 
Rei: I see, so it appears that your late night make out sessions with my brother are as beneficial to you as they are to him.
 
Asuka balks at that and Hikari's eyes open wide.
 
Hikari: Asuka! You... you do that...!
 
Asuka: (Fidgeting) Um… well you see...
 
Rei: Yes they do, and sometimes they get rather vocal about things. I am glad at times when they finally go to sleep that way I can get some rest as well.
 
Asuka slams her hand on the table…
 
Asuka: SHINJI AND I ARE NOT THAT LOUD WHEN WE'RE MAKING OUT!
 
Toji and Kensuke blink and look at Asuka then they grin at Shinji.
 
Rei: I thought you said this was girl talk and the males were not supposed to hear us?
 
Asuka balks and then notices Shinji's face while getting those same knowing looks from Toji as when they were in school and he'd accuse them of being newlyweds.
 
Kensuke, for his part looks at Shinji, and then back at Asuka... then his eyes meet Rei's and he's trapped. He cannot look away as suddenly he has thoughts of what they just did in the snow.
 
Asuka looks around the room looking for a way to beat a hasty exit. Suddenly an idea comes to her.
 
Asuka: (Snaps her fingers) Damn! I almost forgot… Misato and I left our bras outside… (Sighs) I don't want some pervert picking up our lingerie out of the snow…
 
Shinji: Don't worry Asuka, I got them...
 
As he says this he holds out the two bras… and then suddenly turns very red as he realizes that he has been holding on to them.
 
Toji: Oh... so you even hold on to her bras too huh.... let me guess if she would have thrown her panties at you then....
 
***WHACK!!***
 
Toji's comment was cut short as Hikari hit him over the head. He started to sit up and began to rub his throbbing forehead.
 
Toji: Ouch... oh man that hurt. What'd you do that for Hikari?
 
Hearing Toji's voice calling her Hikari, she turned and looked at him and then for the first time noticed that his shirt was completely unbuttoned, which allowed her to see his chest. Her face suddenly turned a bright red as she watched his muscles move as he sat up.
 
Hikari is broken out of her stupor and then turns to see Asuka giving her a knowing grin while Rei just looks at her impassively… which further unnerves her.
 
Hikari: (Very nervous) I... I have to... to... talk to Asuka...
 
With that she beats a hasty retreat from Toji and his exposed chest. Asuka follows her as she moves away from the front room and towards the kitchen.
 
Asuka: Having perverted thoughts about Toji, hummm?
 
Hikari: (In denial) I am not! I mean its not like I knew his shirt was unbuttoned… and... and I didn't really look at his chest for that long... but I can see why he's so good at sports…
 
Toji blinks as he watches Hikari run away from him.
 
Toji: (Surprised at Hikari's reaction) Did I say something wrong? What was that all about?
 
Kensuke: (Sighs) What man can understand the mind of a woman?
 
Shinji: (Chuckles) Not me, I doubt I'll ever understand my Asuka completely…
 
Shinji looks down at his hands and realizes that he is still in possession of Asuka and Misato's bras… he quickly places his hands behind his back and lets the bras fall to the ground, just behind the couch. The other two boys fail to notice what he did and they return to their game. Rei walks over to Asuka and Hikari and decides to find out what's going… their girl talk got interrupted…
 
Rei: I thought we were…
 
Rei stops speaking and suddenly all eyes become focused on Misato's door…
 
"OHHH!!!! KAJIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
 
Toji: (Blinks) I thought you said it was soundproofed?
 
Shinji: (Sighs) It was… this is a real big improvement over the situation before…
 
Asuka sighs... and then pulls out a notepad and places a mark. Hikari catches that one column has Kaji's name... and the other Misato's. She watches as Asuka calmly places a mark under Kaji's name and then she starts counting... backwards...
 
Asuka: Five…
 
Rei sighs aloud…
 
Asuka: Four…
 
Hikari: (Blinking) What's going on?
 
Asuka: Three…
 
Shinji: (Sighs) This is getting old…
 
Asuka: Two... One...
 
"UGH!!!! MI-SAAA---TO!!!!"
 
Asuka sighs again and places a mark under Misato's name. After hearing the exclamations, the sudden realization of what is going on dawns on Toji, Hikari and Kensuke. Of the three, Toji and Hikari suddenly look at each other, which causes them to blush even further, especially Hikari as her eyes are drawn to his chest again.
 
Hikari: (Trying to escape her predicament) Ummm… I think I'll go take my shower now…
 
Asuka: Go ahead, Hikari… I'll get you some fresh clothes and put them outside the door, okay?
 
Hikari: Sure… (Looks down at the marks and notices that Kaji is ahead at this point) Is this normal?
 
Asuka: Yeah… unfortunately…
 
Hikari quickly exits the scene and heads over to the bathroom. She quickly undresses and then loses herself in thought in the shower. The water dances across her skin as she tries to stop blushing and thinking about certain things…
 
`Toji… wow… he looked so good with his shirt open like that… I didn't realize…I didn't realize he was that built…I'd just love to…' Hikari stops and blushes. Part of her is surprised that she's thinking this way… and another part is saying `It's about time you noticed what a handsome guy you've snagged… don't be afraid to be closer with him…' As she turns off the water to the shower, she decides to go with the latter thought.
 
Hikari takes a towel and dries herself off. When she opens the door, she looks down at the clothes Asuka has left for her and blushes…
 
`She left me her “lounge around the house” outfit…' Hikari sighs and starts putting the clothes on. `At least she gave me a bra… but why'd she have to give me a fancy one? I'm sure some of it'll be visible thru the shirt…'
 
Hikari is partly angry with Asuka for doing this… but is also happy at the same time. Asuka's plan was to get her to closer with Toji… and she knows that he'll notice this ensemble. After a few moments of quiet and deep breathing, she's ready to walk back into the living room and talk to Toji… she still hadn't talked to him about what had happened earlier…
 
While Hikari was in the shower, Asuka dropped off Hikari's change of clothes and then proceeded to set up the next part of her plan…
 
Asuka: I think we need to talk about something, Shinji…
 
Shinji: (Looking over his shoulder) Okay… what did you wanna talk about?
 
Asuka: (With a smile) Your brotherly love… (Pauses) I think you're being too tough on your little sister here…
 
Asuka puts one hand on Rei's shoulder and another on Kensuke's shoulder, both are now sitting next to each on the couch, Toji is on the floor next to Shinji.
 
Shinji: Asuka… I…
 
Asuka: (Interrupting Shinji) Oh, come on… so what if these two wanna have some “fun” together… it's none of your business…

Rei and Kensuke look at each and blush. Toji looks at the two and starts to pay rapt attention to this little discussion. `Kensuke and Rei having some fun, huh? I wonder what they were doing today that would make Asuka bring this up…'
 
Shinji notices their reaction and replies to Asuka…
 
Shinji: (Nervously) I umm… just think they're moving too fast… I umm… am concerned about Rei…
 
Rei: I am glad that you are concerned for my well being, Shinji… but I am just exploring my new… feelings and… (Very softly)… desires…
 
Kensuke: (Nervously) Umm… what she said…
 
Asuka: Besides… maybe Rei needs to watch you instead. Your hands haven't been idle, either.
 
Toji's eyebrows go up again… `What's with these guys… wait a second… am I getting jealous?' Shinji's face goes red with embarrassment; Asuka has managed to embarrass him once again…
 
Shinji: Asuka…
 
Asuka: Don't be embarrassed Shinji… there's nothing wrong with being closer to your girlfriend… (Winks)
 
Toji: (Deciding to intervene to protect Shinji and Kensuke from further embarrassment at Asuka's hands) Hey, stop da inquisition here… who are you to judge anything, Ms. Frisky?
 
Asuka: (Getting mad) Ms. Frisky?
 
Toji: Yeah, you heard me… if anyone here has been flaunting themselves too much, it's you…
 
Asuka gets flustered and is speechless for a moment. She uses this time to think of an appropriate comeback line… one immediately comes to mind…
 
Asuka: Hey! I wouldn't be talking… at least Shinji wasn't touching my breasts… can't say the same for you and Hikari…
 
Toji: (Turning red as a tomato) Well, I umm… that was an accident!
 
Asuka: (Sarcastically) Sure it was… whatever you say…
 
Kensuke and Rei wisely stay silent and look knowingly at each other. However, Asuka was on a mission…. a mission to drag everything out into the open. Toji would soon know what happened…
 
Asuka: And you weren't the only one with the busy hands… but I'm not angry with Kensuke or Rei… that was mutual affection…
 
Hikari heard all of the fighting after opening the bathroom door and rushed over to see what was going on. She heard Asuka's last line and wondered what exactly she meant by that…
 
Rei: (Very quietly) Yes… yes it was…
 
Toji: (Noticing that Hikari is back) Hikari, you're just in time… you gotta help me out here… Asuka's been accusing me of stuff…
 
Hikari: (Going into class rep. Mode) Asuka… I leave for one second and you start digging into my boyfriend…
 
Asuka: (Going on the defensive) I was just saying that Toji and Kensuke were keeping their hands busy… just like my Shin-chan… (Shinji looks at Asuka)… that's all…
 
Hikari: Well… I'm sure he didn't do that on purpose… it was pitch black in that cave after all…
 
Asuka: Okay… but weren't you the one who screamed out “stop touching my breasts”…
 
Hikari and Toji blush… and both look at Asuka and decide to double-team her back.
 
Hikari: (Softly) I… forgive him… he was just protecting me…
 
Toji: Yeah… (Stands up and goes behind Hikari) I didn't want her to get hurt when you guys launched all of those snowballs… (Wraps his arms around her stomach, which causes her to relax and feel at ease)
 
Asuka takes a deep breath and then smiles…
 
Asuka: That's all I was trying to do here… get you two to be more open with each other and to notice each other more. I know Hikari here has been looking at your chest, Toji…
 
Toji: (Happily) Really? You were checking me out, Hikari?
 
Hikari: (Very softly) Y-yes…
 
Toji: (Very happy) I'm sure you liked what you saw… and I've umm… been looking at you um… (Pauses and notices something unusual) Your hair… you didn't put it in pigtails?
 
Asuka decides to step away and let those two talk privately. She sits down in front of Shinji and glomps him, right in front of Rei and Kensuke… who just take each other's hand and look at the other happy couple…
 
Kensuke: (Catching Asuka and Shinji kissing out of the corner of his eye) She's not too bad… and she really does love Shinji…
 
Rei: Yes… my brother has found a true soul mate in Asuka…
 
Rei snuggles next to Kensuke and both of them watch TV while Shinji and Asuka express their affections to each other. Over at the dining room table, Hikari and Toji sit down and talk to each other…
 
Toji: (Running his fingers thru Hikari's long, brown hair) Wow… it's so soft…

Hikari: (Blushes) Toji…
 
Toji: I was just wondering why you came out with your hair like this…
 
Hikari: Oh… well, I heard all the commotion in here and I didn't have a chance to put them back into pigtails…
 
Toji: You um… look pretty either way…
 
Hikari: (Smiles) Thanks…
 
Toji takes a glance at what Hikari is wearing and recognizes this particular outfit… he had seen Asuka in it once before when he stopped over to see Shinji. `I wonder…'
 
Toji: Hikari, could you stand up for a minute?
 
Hikari: (Not sure of what Toji is thinking) Umm… sure.
 
Hikari stands up and Toji does as well. He starts looking down and then walks around behind her…
 
Toji: (Staring at her long legs and butt) Yep…
 
Hikari: Huh? (Turns her head and notices what Toji is doing) Toji!
 
Toji: What? I'm just checkin' ya out… it's only fair since you were looking at me earlier.
 
Hikari can say nothing in response to that- her boyfriend does have a point.
 
Toji: You gotta borrow this outfit from Asuka sometime… I mean… umm…
 
Hikari: (Softly and shyly) You… like the way I look in this?
 
Toji: (Very enthusiastically) Yes! You're gorgeous… (Hikari turns and faces him, allowing him to check out the front of this outfit) Wow… the fronts nice, too…
 
Toji pauses to think for a moment. `She's even wearing a fancy bra under that shirt… I can see it… I guess I'll have to thank Asuka later for setting this up…'
 
Hikari: (Very embarrassed but also glad that the others are not paying attention to their conversation) Toji… you really… umm… like what you see?
 
Toji decides to give Hikari a non-verbal response to her question. He pulls her into a very close and warm embrace… Hikari softly sighs and then wraps her arms around him. She feels very warm and happy inside… this is the Toji that she'd fallen in love with…
 
Asuka, who is now on the couch with Shinji, Rei, and Kensuke… notices what is going on behind her but decides to say nothing.
 
Asuka: You know… since we're all fighting together… we should be open about these things…
 
Rei: (Nods her head) Yes. It is up to us to save the world from SEELE… only we can do it…
 
Shinji looks at his sister and realizes that she's right about that- no one else can pilot the EVA's besides them. Kensuke is also taken by her words and truly notices the seriousness in her statement.
 
Asuka: I think I'm going to take my shower now… (Stands up) Shinji, no peeking! (Winks at him)
 
Shinji: (Embarrassed) Asuka!
 
Asuka silently heads to her room and then heads over to the bathroom to take a shower. Hikari notices Asuka walking by and looks at her… which prompts a “thumbs up” from Asuka before she disappears into the bathroom. Hikari again closes her eyes and enjoys the warmth of Toji's embrace.
 
In his mind, Toji is really enjoying what's going on but at the same time is deliberating whether or not to do a little more. His hands slowly move down her back… Hikari does not seem to notice what he is doing. Toji takes a deep breath and then goes that last step…
 
Hikari: (Softly) Mm… Toji… (Holds him tighter)
 
The others fail to notice what is going on the kitchen, due to the fact that they are playing video games. Hikari and Toji enjoy the quiet intimacy that they are expressing to each other. A short while later, Misato's door opens…
 
Hikari: (Softly but urgently) Toji! Get your hands off my butt!
 
Toji: Oh… (Moves his hands up to a less embarrassing position)
 
Misato: (Looks around and notices Hikari and Toji holding each other) (Mock sweetness) Awww!
 
Hikari and Toji both blush and turn to face away from Misato. Misato steps out of the room wearing her lavender nightgown and heads into the kitchen. She looks inside and grabs some of the leftover pizza and throws it in the microwave. In the meantime Toji and Hikari have sat down at the table and are silently looking at each other.
 
Misato: Anything wrong guys? You're awfully quiet…
 
Hikari: Oh, it's nothing…
 
A “bing” is heard, signaling the completion of the cooking cycle. Misato grabs a Yebisu beer from the fridge and sits down at the table and begins to eat…
 
Misato: I see you two have made up… that's good. There's no need to get angry over accidents…
 
Kaji, dressed in a black robe, comes up behind Misato and places a hand on her shoulder.
 
Kaji: Speaking of “accidents”… I hope you're not gonna be mad about all of the accidents in the snow today…
 
Misato: (Smiles) Of course not… I think we're even. (Looks over at the front room) Where's Asuka?
 
Toji: She went to take a shower or something…
 
Misato: Oh, okay… Kaji and I have to talk to her…
 
A moment later, a door is heard opening in the distance. A familiar voice is heard throughout the house…
 
Asuka: (Sweetly) Oh, Shinjiiiiii!
 
Shinji turns red and Kensuke and Toji laugh out loud… Kaji cannot help but smirk as well.
 
Asuka walks into the kitchen and stands next to Hikari…
 
Misato: (Looking at Hikari and Asuka) You two look like sisters… you're both wearing the exact same outfit…
 
Asuka: Yeah… except that mine is a little more “teasing” then Hikari's… I didn't want Toji to get too excited and drool all over the place…
 
Toji: HEY!
 
Kensuke: (From the front room) What do you mean by teasing, Asuka?
 
Asuka: (Pauses to think of an appropriate response) Mm… just ask Shinji over there…
 
Kensuke and Rei look at Shinji and he turns very red…
 
Kensuke: (Elbowing Shinji) Tell us… what's Asuka talking about?
 
Shinji motions Kensuke to come closer and he whispers the response “she's not wearing a bra” in his ear…
 
Kensuke: Oh… you lucky…
 
Asuka: He's very lucky that he gets to hold such beauty in his arms… right, Shin-chan?
 
Misato and Kaji watch and smile as the conversation continues and Misato thinks to herself… `If only we had a chance at being “normal” teens like these six… but what's done is done. What matters now is keeping this new world…'
 
Shinji: (Nervously) Umm… yeah… very lucky…
 
Asuka: Mmm… you don't sound very sure of that… come here, Shinji…
 
Shinji: (Gulps) Uh-oh…
 
Kensuke: He's a goner… (Rei glares at Kensuke and he becomes silent) It was a joke... honest.
 
Rei: Humor is still… something I'm trying to figure out…
 
Kensuke: I'll help you out with that… (Gently squeezes her hand)
 
Shinji gets up and walks over to Asuka. She looks at him for a moment and then speaks…
 
Asuka: Hikari, watch this…
 
Hikari looks at Asuka and then says “Okay”…
 
Asuka: This is how the teasing version of that outfit works…
 
Asuka pulls Shinji into a deep, passionate kiss. His eyes bug out for a moment but then he totally forgets that he's being watched by the entire house and pulls Asuka closer as the kissing continues…
 
Rei: I believe that Shinji is overcoming his insecurities…
 
Misato: You can say that again… he's becoming just as passionate about his feelings as Asuka…

Asuka breaks the kiss and looks at a breathless Shinji…
 
Asuka: Mmm… not bad, especially since we were doing that in front of everyone…
 
Shinji silently nods his head. Misato decides to take this opportunity to talk to Asuka.
 
Misato: Asuka, come over here…
 
Asuka: Sure!
 
Asuka walks over and stands next to Misato.
 
Misato: I told Kaji about what you and I talked about earlier… and we have some ideas that may help out. We'll talk later, okay?
 
Asuka: (Happily) Okay, thanks!
 
Rei: (Having an idea) We should take some pictures… I believe that today has been most interesting for everyone…
 
Misato: I like your thinking, Rei… let me get my camera!
 
Hikari: Pictures? (Blushes)
 
Toji thinks to himself… `Pictures? Hell yea! I'll definitely need a copy of any pictures with Hikari and I in them…'
 
Misato gets up and heads to her room to get her camera. She quickly returns and begins snapping pictures… pictures of the couples together, each person by themselves… and finishes off with a group picture of the girls together and the guys together.
 
Misato: I'll print these out and give you guys a copy next time you stop by…
 
Kensuke: (Excitedly) Sure!
 
Asuka: (Elbowing Kensuke) Can't get enough of Rei, huh?
 
Kensuke blushes and Rei gives him a hug.
 
Kensuke: Hell no, Asuka…
 
Kaji: I think all of the clothes should be dry by now…
 
Hikari: Oh, okay…
 
The six teens head over to the dryer and Asuka begins handing out the now dry clothes to everyone. They go to separate rooms and change and then Kensuke, Hikari, and Toji get ready to leave. Kensuke is the first one at the door, he looks at Rei nervously…
 
Kensuke: Umm… bye, Rei…
 
Rei: (Smiles) Thank you for an… interesting day, Ken-kun… we will have to… (Blushes and stops speaking)
 
Kensuke: Umm… yeah… we'll try that again sometime…
 
Kensuke opens the door, steps outside, and waves at Rei before heading over to the elevator bank. Rei stands there for a moment and sighs contently. Asuka notices what Rei just did from the other end of the hallway…
 
Asuka: (Softly to herself) Damn, she does have it bad for him…
 
Rei heads back to her room. She sits on her bed for a few minutes and then decides to utilize a gift that she had recently gotten from Misato… a diary. Since today was a day full of new things, she has lots to write…
 
“Day one… my boyfriend made me feel… wonderful inside. These new emotions are… very intense…”
 
While Rei is busy writing in her diary, Asuka watches as Hikari and Toji make their way over to the door. Asuka quickly runs back in her room and then catches Hikari and Toji putting on their boots…
 
Asuka: I got a present for you, Hikari…
 
Hikari: (Happily) Oh, thank you… (Looks in the bag) Asuka…
 
Toji: What'd she get yah?
 
Hikari: (A little embarrassed) It's that… outfit I was wearing earlier…
 
Toji: (Excited) Really?
 
Asuka: You can have it… I even gave you the bra, too…
 
Hikari blushes… and Asuka decides to tease her friend further…
 
Asuka: Oh, come on Hikari… you filled it out pretty well…
 
Hikari: Asuka!
 
Toji: (To himself) She sure did…
 
Asuka: Save it for a special occasion or something…
 
Hikari: (In a whisper) I will…
 
Asuka: Well, you two better get going… I'll see yah later!
 
Toji: Umm… thanks, Asuka…
 
Asuka: No problem.
 
Hikari and Toji head out the door and Toji walks Hikari home. Asuka decides to spend some quality time with Shinji… she finds him waiting for her in his bedroom. Misato is watching TV with Kaji when she gets a phone call from NERV headquarters asking her to head over to NERV right away and talk with Commander Ikari…
 
After hanging up the phone, she looks with a worried expression at Kaji…
 
Misato: They want me to come in tonight… maybe they know…
 
Kaji: (Scratches his chin) Hmm… I hope not. Let's just wait and see what NERV wants… it may be something totally unrelated to us…
 
Misato: I hope so…
 
With some trepidation, Misato gets ready to go. Kaji says he'll tell the kids what happened and she plants a kiss on his cheek before leaving. The drive down to NERV is uneventful and gives time for Misato to prepare what she is going to say in response to whatever Commander Ikari comes up with…
 
Outside of Commander Ikari's office, Misato takes a deep breath and then steps inside…
 
Kozo: Major Katsuragi, please have a seat…
 
Misato tries not to look nervous and sits down at a chair in front of the two Commanders…
 
Gendo: I have been reviewing surveillance tapes about a little incident that happened today…
 
Misato: (To herself) Incident? Oh… he must mean the snowball fight… (Out loud) Are you referring to the snowball fight, sir?
 
Gendo: Correct. The fight proved to be most… enlightening.
 
Misato: (Confused) What do you mean, sir?
 
Gendo: The fight enable all of the pilots and yourself to use tactical maneuvers in a practical way… and Commander Fuyutski and I have come to an agreement on an idea for a new battle simulation for the pilots.
 
Misato: (Breathing a sigh of relief) Okay… what's the new idea?
 
Kozo: Since we don't know where SEELE is just yet, they could be in any kind of terrain. Commander Ikari and I have taken the liberty of preparing a snow terrain simulation. (Hands Misato a data disc) Please bring this down to Lt. Commander Ibuki on your way out…
 
Misato: (Taking the disk) No problem. Anything else, sir?
 
Gendo: Yes, there is one more thing. This man in the video… who is he?
 
Misato: Umm… he's an old friend of mine who lives one floor down. He's not with SEELE or anything…
 
Gendo: (Stares at Misato) I see… and what is your relationship with him?
 
Misato: (Trying to play it off) Oh… we're just friends, that's all…
 
Kozo: Are you two sleeping together?
 
Misato turns red and then is about to say something when Gendo speaks.
 
Gendo: (Looks intensely at Misato) Do not lie to us, Major. This is a very critical time for all of us… security cannot be jeopardized.
 
Misato: (Sighs heavily and then bows her head) Umm… yes... we're having sex. The best I've had in years actually. I mean he does this thing with his tongue and...
 
She suddenly blinks and looks at her commanders. Was it her imagination or was Kozo sporting a mild blush?
 
Gendo: (Clears his throat) That will be all for now, Major.
 
Misato: Yes, Commander. (Bows and then leaves the room)
 
Kozo: Well, I guess our suspicions were correct. I don't see any harm in it, though… she's been very reliable since that failed invasion and she's been taking care of the pilots in quite a satisfactory manner.
 
Gendo: Indeed. As long as she does her job… it is of no concern…
 
Kozo is surprised that Gendo let this issue go that easily… maybe he did have a sympathetic side? `I just hope Major Katsuragi keeps herself out of trouble or else Gendo will have her hide…'
 
Kozo: We should also take into consideration her raising of some of the pilots, especially Rei… she's really changed…
 
Gendo: (Folds his hands) Yes…
 
Despite his current appearance, Gendo is actually disappointed at the moment. He had a chance at getting his wife back… and it slipped through his fingers. He couldn't try that again, due to the fact that the lance and Lilith were no longer there… Rei's changes in personality only serve to remind him of what he has lost recently…
 
Gendo has also noticed Rei's new relationship with her fellow pilot and decides to keep a close eye on that… more information is needed. Things are changing all around him… and he must maintain control to keep the objective in mind… SEELE must be destroyed.
 
Misato makes her way down the command center and hears laughter in the distance. Curious about what's going on, she presses forward at a quicker pace and emerges in the command center a short while later. What she sees on the screen totally stops her dead in her tracks…
 
Aoba: (To Maya) (Laughing) Look at that! That guy just stuffed snow into Misato's pants!
 
Misato: (To herself) How the hell did they get that camera angle?
 
Hyuga: Uh-oh! It looks like she's angry… (Points at the view-screen)
 
Maya: (Watching a 12 foot Misato on the screen shake the tree, causing the snow to fall on her and her assailant) Wow… I didn't know she was so strong…
 
Misato notices something on the screen that she failed to notice while the incident was happening earlier today. Kaji almost lost his beard when the snow fell on them… `I gotta be more careful from now on… I don't wanna blow his cover…'
 
Misato: (Walking up behind Aoba) What's so funny?
 
Aoba: (Very afraid) Oh, umm… nothing Major… we were just umm… reviewing some footage sent to us by Section 2…
 
Misato: I see…
 
Maya: (Changing the subject) It looks like you spent some quality time with the kids… that's nice…
 
Misato: (Smiles) Thanks, Maya… it was lots of fun. (Snaps her fingers) Oh, I almost forgot… (Pulls out the data disc from her pocket and hands it to Maya) This is from the Commanders…
 
Maya: (Taking the disc) What is it?
 
Misato: It's a new terrain for the battle simulators… based on this little incident you guys are watching on the screen…
 
Hyuga: (Points at the screen) Were those bras I just saw fly by?
 
Misato: (Turning red) Umm…
 
Hyuga: One of them must be… look at how big it…
 
A quick death glare from Misato immediately stops Hyuga from speaking…
 
Aoba: (Saving his friend from possible death at Misato's hands) Hey, look… a smoke bomb…
 
Maya: You guys really went all out on this one…
 
Misato: (Nods her head) Yeah. (Yawns) I think I'm gonna head home… see you guys later…
 
Misato leaves the room and heads back to her apartment. After she leaves, the three bridge bunnies continue to watch the video until it ends.
 
Maya: You know, you two are very lucky that Misato didn't get angry…
 
Aoba: Yeah, that was kinda bad timing on our parts…
 
Hyuga: I guess, but I want to know what was going on in those snow banks.... (Gets a dreamy look)
 
Aoba: Umm… Maya… thanks for saving me back there…
 
Maya: Oh, it was nothing…
 
Hyuga regains his senses and starts elbowing Aoba.
 
Hyuga: Go on, ask her…
 
Maya: (Curious about what Hyuga means by that) Ask me what?
 
Aoba: (Very nervous, fidgets in his seat) Well, umm… you see umm… I was wondering if…
 
Maya: (Really curious about what Aoba has to say) Go on…
 
Aoba: Did you want to get umm… some dinner after our shift is over?
 
Maya: (Thinks about it for a moment) Hmm… well, okay. It's been a long day and I could use some down time…
 
Hyuga: (Looking at Aoba) See, that wasn't so hard, was it?
 
Aoba: No…
 
Maya: Well, let's get back to work… it'll be time to go before we know it…
 
After the shift is over, Aoba and Maya sit next to each other on the train while it heads from the Geofront back to the surface. Aoba starts some small talk and the two go back and forth for a while…
 
Maya: We're almost at the end of the line… where were we going for dinner?
 
Aoba: (To himself) Damn! I forgot to pick someplace… (Looks up at the stop listing above the door) (Out loud) Umm… there's a place we can go to at the next stop…

Maya: Okay.
 
Aoba: (To himself) At least, I hope it's close by…
 
A short while later, a very relieved Aoba and Maya come across a small ramen restaurant. They head inside and are given a small booth by the waitress. Aoba and Maya sit across from one another and look at the menu…
 
Maya: Hmmm… I don't know what I want…
 
Aoba: (Seeing a way out of Maya's dilemma) Well, I've been here before… I could order something for you if you want…
 
Maya: Okay. (Folds up the menu and places in on the table)
 
While Aoba tries to figure out the perfect dish to order for Maya, she looks around the room and thinks to herself. Despite the small appearance on the outside, this restaurant was full of tables and booths… most of which were still occupied at this hour. `Everyone must be out eating a late dinner or something… this looks like a nice place to me… and I wonder what brought this on all of the sudden, him asking me out…'
 
Aoba calls the waitress over and places an order for two of their Deluxe Ramen specials. After taking the order, the waitress leaves and Maya decides to try and find out why Aoba asked her out to dinner.
 
Maya: Aoba, can I ask you something?
 
Aoba: (Getting nervous already) Umm… sure.
 
Maya: (Curious) I'm just wondering why you asked me out to dinner… I mean… I like the thought of getting away from work and everything and hanging around with my friends…
 
Aoba: (Fidgets a little in his seat) Well… I… umm… had something to ask you… it's been on my mind since that vacation we went on…
 
Maya: (Very curious now) All right… (Smiles) Ask me.
 
Aoba feels his resistance crumble… her smile is affecting him in ways he can't totally comprehend yet. `It's now or never… I gotta ask her out…' He clears his throat and then speaks…

Aoba: I was wondering if… if… you'd go out with me… (Gulps)
 
Maya is silent for a moment, she wasn't expecting him to say that. She remembers how nervous he's been since they've left headquarters… and the way he's acting now… `He must be serious about this… I can see it in his face and his expression…'
 
Maya: This is so sudden… but… (Pauses) Let me think about it for a little bit, okay? (Smiles)
 
Aoba takes a deep breath and looks at Maya… she just gave him a very natural response to his question… and it wasn't a “no”… far from it.
 
Aoba: (A little bit relieved) Okay… thanks…
 
The ramen arrives a moment later and the two enjoy their dinner, both thinking about the other and the current situation. When dinner is done, Aoba pays for it and then the pair head outside…
 
Aoba: Want me to walk you home? I mean… there are a lot of crazy people out at night…
 
Maya: (Liking his gallantry) Sure.
 
Aoba and Maya walk back towards the train station, all the while enjoying the cool night air. Suddenly, in the distance, a bright orange color fills the sky…
 
Aoba: What the hell is that?
 
A sudden explosion rips through the night air… everyone around them begins to panic and wonder what's going on. Simultaneously, Aoba and Maya's cell phones begin to ring… both answer the phone at the same time. Commander Fuyutski's voice is heard a moment later…
 
“There's been an explosion, and we believe it was a SEELE operative who caused it. We need you both back here at NERV headquarters now… the #104 train has been cleared of people, it will run express back to the Geofront… just show the attendant your ID…”
 
Aoba: (Speaking into the phone) We're on our way, sir…
 
Maya and Aoba close their phones and quickly run towards the train station, the #104 train is waiting as promised and soon both are aboard. The train leaves right away, the sudden jump in speed sends Maya and Aoba into one of the seats…
 
Aoba: Wow… that was some start up… (Looks at Maya and realizes that she is now sitting in his lap) Umm… (Looks out the window in an attempt to avoid staring at Maya) We must be going at least 100 kmh or more now…
 
Maya: (Oblivious to the situation for the moment) Yeah… and it feels like we're speeding up even more…
 
Both Aoba and Maya look out the window as the train rockets towards NERV headquarters. Maya doesn't really notice the fact that she's sitting in his lap until they arrive at the end of the line, blushing as she gets up. Both are silent as they rush into the main NERV building.
 
Misato was almost home when she saw the orange light and got a call, she immediately turned her car around and zoomed back to NERV headquarters. Over in Kensuke's apartment, the otaku could have sworn that he heard something loud from the outside.
 
He steps outside his front door for a moment and then is pulled inside by his dad…
 
Kensuke's father: No, son… stay inside. This could be the result of some of those SEELE people… and I think I saw some troops or something surrounding the building. It must be Section 2 securing the building…
 
Kensuke: Probably… they're gonna protect us… I hope…
 
Over at Hikari Horaki's apartment, Toji is giving Hikari a goodnight kiss when both of them see the orange fireball in the sky. Hikari immediately becomes worried and holds Toji even tighter…
 
Hikari: What… what was that?
 
Toji: I dunno… but we'd better get inside. I'm sure that those Section-2 people will protect us… they're guarding your place, too…
 
Hikari and Toji head inside and over into Hikari's room…

Hikari: Really? I didn't know they were watching my apartment, too…
 
Toji: Yeah… (Scratches his head) It was kinda part of the deal of me piloting again… I wanted to make sure you'd be all right… can't have those people taking you hostage or something…
 
Hikari: (Swooning) Oh, Toji…
 
Hikari wraps her arms around Toji and silently but tightly holds him. He gently runs his fingers through her brown hair and whispers `It'll be all right…'
 
Over at the Katsuragi apartment, Rei is the first to notice the flash and hear the loud explosion. She puts down her diary and heads into the main apartment, where she finds Shinji holding a very concerned Asuka on the couch…
 
Asuka: What the hell was that?
 
Kaji: (Looking out of the window) Looks like something really big just exploded… and I bet it had something to do with SEELE…
 
Asuka: Do you think they're coming after us?
 
Shinji: I don't know, Asuka…
 
Kaji: We should be okay… I can see men fanning out at ground level… it must be some Section-2 agents. Normally we don't even see these guys but this in not an ordinary occurrence…
 
Shinji: Good point.
 
Kaji sees Rei enter the room a moment later. Her facial expression is one of fear and concern… she is genuinely scared. Kaji has never seen Rei like this before… and judging by Shinji and Asuka's reaction to her, they have not either.
 
Rei: (Being overwhelmed by these new emotions of fear and concern) Brother… I…
 
Shinji: Rei, come here…
 
Rei quickly heads over to her brother and snuggles up next to him. She suddenly feels a little bit better but still is very nervous about what she just saw and heard outside. Her body shakes a little… on the other side of the couch, Asuka is also feeling the same way…
 
Kaji: (Trying to cheer everyone up in this time of crisis) You two will be fine… Shinji here will protect you both no matter what… and so will I.
 
Kaji watches as Shinji wraps one arm around each woman and a moment later both of them are now snuggled up against him.
 
Kaji: Shinji, here's where being a brother and a lover have the same job… to be a source of comfort. They need you…
 
Shinji: (Nervously) Yeah…
 
Asuka: (Softly) Thanks, Shinji…
 
Rei: (Softly) Thank you, Shinji…
 
Kaji: (To himself) If only Misato could see this moment…
 
Kaji quickly heads over to the kitchen and then grabs the camera. Shinji is nearly blinded by the flash a moment later. He protests about having a picture taken given the current situation but then Kaji tells him that the picture will be very useful later.
 
Rei: I hope mom will be all right…
 
Asuka: I'm sure she's down at NERV HQ right now, helping them figure out what's going on…
 
Kaji: (Sighs) I hope you're right… I couldn't bear it if something happen to Misato…
 
As the sound of ambulances and police sirens start to fill the air, Shinji looks down at the two main women of his life. There were actually three, Misato was like a 2nd mother to him… but she's not there at the moment. His new sister and his lover both need him… the situation was something he had not expected to happen to him. However, Shinji did his best to comfort the two and talked softly to them… and prayed that they all would get through this safely…
 
Kaji looks out the window and mutters one word to himself softly… `Misato'
 
To be continued in Chapter 29: Aftermath
 
What happens next, is SEELE mounting an assault? What does this mean for the children? Find out in the next chapter of... A New Beginning/ A New World
 
And for your reading pleasure, I also have an omake…
 
 
Omake from after Misato's visit to Gendo's room:
 
Kozo: Do you think we should place cameras in her room?
 
Gendo looks at his old friend.
 
Kozo: Um... just to make sure...
 
Gendo: Kozo...
 
Kozo: Yes sir?
 
Gendo: You're still just a sick pervert. And I swear, one day I will get you back for blaming me for placing those monitors in the girls' showers when we were in training.
 
Kozo chuckles nervously but declines to remind his friend that it was those cameras that started Gendo's obsession of Yui... especially when he saw her for the first time in all her naked glory.
 
Gendo: Commander…
 
Kozo: Yes?
 
Gendo: Make it so…
 
Kozo's eyebrows go up… but he happily walks out of the room and gets to work on his new project… `About time we had something good happen here…'
 
End of omake.