Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 27: Fun in the Snow ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 27: “Fun” In the Snow
 
A/N: I know it's been ages since I wrote a new chapter, but here it is. I hope you enjoy it, please leave me some feedback on it. In case you forgot what Asuka looks like in her yellow pajamas, refer to picture #73 on page 9 of my website- http://www.stpika.com
 
I do not own the song “My Destiny” by Lionel Richie. Copyright 1992, Motown Records. The song is from the “Back to Front” album of the same year.
 
Credit goes out to Eva Unit U, Fusion Blaster, and Tex, our faithful webmaster of this site for prereading. Thanks again guys!
 
Saturday January 16th, 2016
 
A week has passed since the last chapter… all of the pilots have been kept busy with school and sync tests. The tests are gradually getting harder, but teamwork is overcoming the opposing SEELE units… for now.
 
Early in the morning, long before sunrise, Misato is sitting in front of her computer, hammering away at the keys… Ritsuko has just sent her some new information and she is currently reviewing it. Around sunrise, Kaji awakes to find Misato dozing in front of her computer. He gets up and pauses to take a look at her…
 
Kaji: (To himself) She looks gorgeous in that lavender nightgown… the kids really picked a nice gift for her. (Looks at the computer screen) So this is what she was looking at… hmmm.
 
Kaji taps a few keys and starts scanning the information that is on the screen. Much to his surprise, the data has nothing to do with SEELE… it has to do with Rei.
 
Kaji: (Gently shaking Misato) Wake up, my love…
 
Misato: (Coming to) Huh? Oh, good morning Kaji.
 
Kaji: I was just looking at the screen… you got some more information on Rei?
 
Misato: Yeah… I was talking to Ritsuko and she sent me some information. (Glances at a photo of her and Rei that is taped on a nearby wall) It explains a lot… (Pauses) You know that Rei was part angel, right?
 
Kaji: Yeah, I remember you told me about that… and about how Shinji reversed 3rd Impact.
 
Misato: Since Rei was part angel, she used to be different from us. That's why Gendo was able to use her like he did until Rei III, my daughter, was created…
 
Kaji: (Scratches his chin) Well, that would explain the lack of emotions… and if I remember right, angels were supposed to be asexual. I'm sure you've noticed that Rei has turned 180 degrees from what she used to be…
 
Misato: Yeah… and that worries me a little. (Pauses) Asuka is used to having feelings, emotions, and desires… but Rei isn't. We did have a few talks about sex and those kinda things…
 
Kaji: (Nudges Misato) Well, it looks like you're being a concerned mother, I don't see a problem. You'll be able to get her through this…
 
Misato: (Pauses for a moment to think of an appropriate response for Kaji) That maybe true… but she'll also need a father. (Bats an eye at Kaji)
 
Kaji: (Nervously) Umm…
 
Misato: Oh, come on… we talked about this before. If you're going to be my future husband, then you have to help me out…
 
Kaji takes a deep breath and then motions Misato to stand up. He takes her into his arms and enjoys the moment of warmth before speaking.
 
Kaji: I'll try…
 
Misato: (Kissing his cheek) Good. Do you want to snuggle with me? I'm still a little tired and could use some more sleep.
 
Kaji: Sure…
 
Kaji and Misato return to bed and snuggle together, both quickly fall asleep in each other's arms. A few hours later, Shinji slowly stirs; as he gets up he finds Asuka's head resting comfortably against his chest. He gently moves himself to get a better view of Asuka's face and begins to admire his “sleeping beauty”…
 
Shinji: (Thinking to himself) Maybe this morning would be good for my surprise… I think she'll like it…
 
Shinji carefully leaves Asuka's bed, making sure not to awaken his girlfriend. He quietly opens the door to her room and heads out into the main hallway. About two minutes later, he returns with his SDAT player and crawls back into her bed. Asuka notices this and begins to stir…

Asuka: (With a smile) Morning, Shinji.
 
Shinji: Morning, Asuka. I got a surprise for you…
 
Asuka: (Curious) Really?
 
Shinji: (Hands Asuka one of the ear buds of his SDAT player) Here…
 
Asuka: (To herself) I know that he must have another song for me… I'm sure it'll be good…
 
Asuka takes the ear bud and places into her ear, Shinji does the same for the other one and both lie down on the bed next to each other. Shinji presses play and lets the music start to flow into their ears…
 
You came in
That's what my little heart was looking for
Laughter in the rain
Feeling like a fool in love again!
Oh, the laughter came
When the tears stopped falling
Now all I do is just call your name
(When I say lover)
You walked in and my heart discovered
That my life would never be the same!
 
Oh, you are my destiny
You are my one and only
You gave that joy to me
When my whole life was lonely!
 
Angel in disguise
With your power of love you just hypnotize
I just love the magic of your spell
How much joy we have together
Only time will tell!
 
Oh, the laughter came
When the tears stopped falling
Now all I do is just call your name
(I just call your name)
You walked in and my heart discovered
That my life would never be the same!
 
I know, you are my destiny
You are my one and only
You gave that joy to me
When my whole life was lonely!
 
Every day, every night
Oh, I know it's so right
When I see your face
Only time's gonna tell
But I know you so well
Girl, my loves for real
From the first time that I saw you
I knew it was forever
This mighty love between us
Will keep us together
You're the girl God sent from heaven
I'm so glad I found you
Forever, Forever, Forever, Forever, Forever, Forever!
I'm so glad to be around you
 
You are my destiny
You are my one and only
You gave that joy to me
When my whole world was lonely!
 
It's alright, it's alright
Do it again!
It's alright, it's alright
Don't let this love end!
It's alright, it's alright
Do it again!
It's alright, it's alright
Don't let this love end!
 
From the first time that I saw you
I knew it was forever
This mighty love between us
Will keep us together
You're the girl God sent from heaven
I'm so glad I found you
Forever, Forever, Forever, Forever, Forever, Forever!
I'm so glad to be around you!
 
You are my destiny
You are my one and only
You gave that joy to me
When my whole world was lonely!
You are my destiny
You are my one and only
You gave that joy to me
When my whole world was lonely!
 
It's alright, it's alright
Do it again!
It's alright, it's alright
Don't let this love end!
It's alright, it's alright
Do it again!
It's alright, it's alright
Don't let this love end!
 
It's alright, it's alright
Do it again!
It's alright, it's alright
Don't let this love end!
 
(Ad lib fade)
 
Asuka: (Almost speechless) That was… wonderful!
 
Shinji: (Squeezes Asuka's hand) You really liked it?
 
Asuka: Of course! What the song talked about was just… perfect for us. (Rolls on top of Shinji) You really know how to pick those perfect songs, Shin-chan…
 
Shinji looks up at Asuka and smiles, then pulls Asuka into a hug…
 
Shinji: I'm glad you liked the song… this artist really has a lot of good songs that I could use…
 
Asuka: I hope you can dig up some more romantic songs like that, Shin-chan… (Kisses him on the cheek and then gets on all fours)
 
Shinji: (Looks at Asuka and notices that once again her top button of her yellow pajamas has come undone, giving him a very nice view of her cleavage) Umm… Asuka…
 
Asuka: Yes?
 
Shinji: Your top button has come undone… again. (Sighs)
 
Asuka: (Seductively as she rubs her fingers against the 2nd button of her pajamas) Hmm… I don't think that's really a problem. Besides, I have a surprise for you too, Shinji...
 
Shinji is about to burst a blood vessel at the thought of her unfastening another button, a good part of her chest is already in view and the loss of the 2nd button would leave very little to the imagination.
 
Shinji: (Turning red) You do?
 
Asuka: (Starts to pull at that 2nd button on her pajamas) Um... humm...
 
Asuka can see Shinji's arms slowly rising off of the bed to circle around her. `He maybe nervous on the inside… but outside, he wants this… wants more of me…'
 
Shinji: (Gulps) W-what's the surprise?
 
Asuka suddenly smiles and moves off him and heads for the door, stopping at the door- she looks at him and winks.
 
Asuka: I'm making breakfast this morning!
 
Shinji promptly face-faults out of the bed. Asuka chuckles and then leaves the room. Shinji decides to climb back into her bed and relax until she finishes breakfast… `This is certainly unusual for her… to make breakfast. I wonder why she picked today to do it?'
 
Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Asuka happily works on her special breakfast. She digs several items out of the back of the refrigerator that she had purchased earlier in the week and puts them on the table. She begins to happily hum to herself as the meal starts to take shape. Over in Misato's room, Misato and Kaji open the door and step out into the hallway. Both are quite surprised to see Asuka cooking breakfast…
 
Misato: (Muttering to Kaji) Am I that drunk? Or is that Asuka making breakfast?
 
Kaji: (Softly) It certainly looks like it… let's find Shinji and see what's going on…maybe she fell out of bed too hard... hit her head...
 
Misato: (Thinking about other possibilities for this occurrence) Or... they were being very naughty last night...
 
Kaji paled and then follows her over to Asuka's room. Kaji opens the door and they find Shinji relaxing on her bed…
 
Shinji: Good morning.
 
Kaji: Morning.
 
Misato: Morning, Shinji. (Pauses) I have a quick question for you, Shinji- Asuka is looking pretty happy this morning... and she's making breakfast. (Looks at Shinji who is about to turn red from blushing) So Shinji... what were you and Asuka up to?
 
Shinji: (Very quickly) NOTHING! Nothing at all!
 
Kaji: Something must have happened… (Motions to the entrance to Asuka's room) See for yourself…
 
Shinji gets up and follows the pair out to the main hallway. Rei is there and joins the three in staring at Asuka, who is making breakfast and is oblivious to the rest of the household gawking at the miracle that was happening in front of them.
 
Rei: Brother, why is Asuka making breakfast?
 
Shinji: (Shrugs his shoulders) I don't know… she just wanted to…
 
Before Shinji can say another word, his face turns red as a tomato. Asuka had just bent over to get something out of one of the lower cupboards… Shinji couldn't help but glance at her bottom. She appeared completely oblivious to the conversation and seemed to be humming a tune...
 
Rei notices her brothers' actions and decides to try something out that Misato had told her about… she walks over to Asuka and starts talking.
 
Rei: Asuka...
 
Asuka: Yeah, Rei? (Returns to humming)
 
Rei: Did you know that your pajamas have a hole in the seat?
 
Asuka jumps up and turns around, her face a bright red color from embarrassment.
 
Asuka: No they don't!
 
Even as Asuka says it she is busily rubbing her backside to find the hole… and to her relief, there is no hole.
 
Rei: (With a slight grin on her face) Must have been my imagination then.
 
Kaji is snickering as Misato tries to keep from falling over laughing.
 
Misato: Rei... that was just... mean...
 
Kaji: (Snickering) Yes, but I recall you did the same thing to Rits once too...
 
Misato with a beaming smile just nodded her head.
 
Misato: Like mother, like Daughter!
 
Asuka groans and starts muttering in German about what she'd like to do to that mother and daughter… Shinji decides to calm her down and defuse the situation.
 
Shinji: Asuka, your pants don't have a hole in them.
 
Asuka: (Feeling better already) Really?
 
Shinji: Honest...
 
Kaji: (Stepping into the conversation) And he should know from the way he's been staring at your butt…
 
Asuka: (Feigning shock) Shinji!
 
Asuka chose her reaction carefully; she had to throw Misato and Kaji off. Inside, she was really happy that her “training” was working… Shinji was starting to pay attention to her body a lot more… and she liked it.
 
Misato: Well, I can't blame him… you seem to be drawing a lot of attention to yourself this morning, Asuka. Your pajamas, for example… you're showing quite a bit of cleavage with that top button unfastened…
 
Asuka: (Snaps back a retort) It's still not as bad as half the stuff you wear around the house… especially during the summer.
 
Misato mutters a “Damn” under her breath; Asuka has nailed her pretty good. Misato decides to try a different angle to get some information out of Asuka.
 
Misato: To what do we owe this honor of you making breakfast?
 
Rei: I would like to know that as well.
 
Asuka: (Pauses for a moment to compose her answer) Well, I was going to do this anyways... but Shinji did something wonderful this morning. That's why I'm making breakfast.
 
Misato: Something wonderful, eh?
 
Asuka: (Smiles) Yep! He made me so happy this morning…
 
All eyes turn to look at Shinji… who is turning very red. Asuka returns to her cooking, leaving Shinji to defend himself against the volley of questions that the other three were bound to ask…
 
Kaji: Well, I must say Shinji… you seem to be moving along pretty good with Asuka. She's showing off her body to you all the time it seems…
 
Shinji: Umm… yeah…
 
Rei: (In a calm almost monotonous voice) It appears that you are enjoying the “show” that Asuka is giving you…
 
Misato: I totally agree with Rei. I may have to start sleeping over in Asuka's room or spot-checking you two again…
 
Asuka was listening in on the conversation… she had left Shinji to defend himself on purpose… but now the consequences were getting too out of hand. She didn't want Misato to be checking in on them again… bedtime was the best quality she could have with Shinji and she didn't want that ruined.
 
Asuka: (Annoyed) Geez Misato… you totally took this out of context. If you really wanna know what Shinji did this morning, I'll tell you.
 
Asuka pauses and everyone turns and looks at her. She continues to speak a moment later.
 
Asuka: He played some nice romantic music for me, okay? (Shakes her head) I don't know why you guys thought we had sex or something…
 
Misato: Well, you've been pretty frisky lately… (Takes a deep breath and then speaks again) I'm sorry… but I'm still gonna be concerned about you two. I am your guardian, after all…
 
Asuka: Yeah… (Looks over at the stove) I gotta finish cooking breakfast… you guys should sit down and prepared to be amazed!
 
With that, Asuka returns to the stove and removes the bacon that she had been cooking. Shinji and the others sit down at the table and watch as Asuka brings various items to the table. Apple strudel, various cold cuts with cheddar cheese, and orange juice are the first things to appear on the table.
 
About a minute later, Asuka starts bring plates with scrambled eggs and bacon over to the table…
 
Asuka: Breakfast is served! I combined American and German breakfast items… hope you guys like the food!
 
Asuka sits down at the table and begins to eat. The others cautiously take their initial bites- they aren't sure how well Asuka can cook, since she's done it only a few times in the past… and nothing this extravagant.
 
Asuka: Eat up everyone!
 
Shinji: (Taking a bite of strudel) Mmm… tastes good, Asuka.
 
Asuka: (Smiles) Thank you, Shinji.
 
Kaji: Not too shabby at all… (Pauses to remember something) I thought you didn't like to cook…
 
Asuka: Well, Shinji here has been teaching me a few tricks… and I added a few things of my own.

Misato is too busy eating to comment on the food, but Asuka can tell that she likes it… or was extremely hungry. Rei finishes her eggs- she had those many times due to Misato's fondness for making omelets. The bacon, however, was something that was very new to her. Meat was something she could tolerate and even enjoy now, now that the angel part of her was gone… but it was still that took getting used to. Rei cautiously takes a bite of a piece of bacon and focuses on the flavor and texture. Asuka notices what she is doing and is quite curious.
 
Asuka: Well, what do you think, Rei?
 
Rei: The taste is… (Pauses to find the right words)… interesting. I believe we have had this meat before, but this tastes different then the previous times.
 
Asuka: That's because it's a different flavor- this is a hickory-smoked variety.
 
Rei: I see. I believe that some of Shinji's culinary skills are rubbing off on you…
 
Asuka: (Happy) Thanks!
 
Kaji: (Pointing his fork at Shinji) You'll have to keep those songs coming, Shinji… we need to eat this good all of the time.
 
Asuka: Thank you, Kaji. (Gives Shinji a look) I hope he'll keep up the pace…
 
Shinji begins to sweat- he has been put on the spot once again. Misato notices his reaction and puts a hand on his shoulder.
 
Misato: Don't worry, Shinji… it'll be fine. Those two are just teasing you…
 
Kaji: Just whose side are you on?
 
Misato: (Playfully) I can't always agree with you Kaji, it'd be no fun… (Playfully sticks out her tongue)
 
Kaji begins to think to himself… `God, she looks so sexy when she acts like a tease… I need to bring out her playful side more often' He then clears his throat.
 
Kaji: Well, if it's fun you want… why don't we go outside and have a little snowball fight?
 
Asuka: (Excitedly) Good idea Kaji!
 
Shinji: What about Section 2? Won't they get suspicious if Kaji goes out of the door with us… they don't even know he's in here, right?
 
Misato: (Winks) Already taken care of. I had a secret emergency exit installed… he can go down it and come out from another apartment.
 
Kaji: I have several disguises if I need to use them… but I don't think they'll be interested in me. As long as I don't come in here directly, they won't suspect a thing.
 
Misato: I've already set up another identity for Kaji here… with him wearing a full beard.
 
Rei: (Picturing Kaji with a full beard) Interesting… you have everything in place, mom.
 
Asuka: Where's the other exit at?
 
Misato: In the connecting walkway between the old and new apartments… there's a false panel there, Take it out, and there's a ladder down to the floor below.
 
Shinji: (Impressed) Wow, that's pretty good, Misato.
 
Misato: (Smiles) There's a reason I'm the head tactical person for NERV- I can plan things out.
 
Asuka: (In a whisper that not even Shinji heard) When she's not drunk on the floor...
 
Misato: (Catching a few words of what Asuka said and not liking them) What was that?
 
Asuka: Oh, nothing… (Starts to whistle)
 
Kaji: (Trying to prevent an argument) Anyways… we need to decide on teams for a snowball fight. I think that'd be a better way to vent, don't you think?
 
Asuka: Fine! (Folds her arms across her chest)
 
Rei: I would suggest females versus males…
 
Shinji: (Immediately speaks up) No way! Rei, you're too good… and then there would be you plus Misato and Asuka…
 
Kaji: I have to agree with Shinji…
 
Misato: (Shakes her head) Oh, come on… can't you MEN handle a few girls?
 
Shinji: (Nervously) Well, umm…
 
Kaji: (Looks at Shinji) Shinji, I'll handle this… (Looks at Misato) Fine, you three are on!
 
Shinji looks at Kaji with a horrified expression… and Misato just smiles. Rei and Asuka look at Kaji as well, they weren't expecting him to give in just like that…
 
Misato: (Happily) You got a deal! (Extends her hand out to Kaji, who shakes it) Come on girls, let's have a team meeting in my room! (Misato stands up)
 
Rei and Asuka stand up and follow Misato towards her room. Asuka decides that she has to do something before this fight and whispers something into Misato's ear. Misato nods and Asuka motions Shinji to come into her room, which he does with some hesitation, not knowing what to expect. Asuka closes the door behind him and then pulls him into a warm embrace…
 
Asuka: (Softly) Shin-chan…
 
Shinji: Umm… yes, Asuka?
 
Asuka: I think you're doing very well… my training is really helping you…
 
Shinji: (Sighs because now he knows what Asuka was doing to him the last few nights) Yeah, I guess…
 
Asuka: Cheer up, Shinji… I'm sure you've been enjoying this just as much as I have… I saw you staring at my chest… and you couldn't resist staring at my butt this morning either…
 
Shinji: (Turning red because she caught him… she is speaking the truth) Umm… yeah… you look very umm… beautiful and umm… pretty…
 
Asuka: Thank you. (Kisses him on the cheek) I noticed that yesterday morning you didn't really hesitate to hold me when I was on all fours… why was that?
 
Shinji: (Thinks for a moment before responding) Well, um…
 
Asuka: (Puzzled) I was doing the same exact thing as this morning, my top button was open…
 
Shinji: (Thinks and tries to figure out what was different) Oh, I know…
 
Asuka: (Tries to encourage him to tell her by gently rubbing her upper body against him) Come on, tell me… so I know what to do next time…
 
Shinji cannot help but take a glance south… and then he realizes that Asuka is not doing the exact same thing as yesterday.
 
Shinji: Umm… you were wearing a bra yesterday…
 
Asuka: (Realizing that he's right, smiles at Shinji) You're right! I wanted to snuggle with you so badly that I forgot to take it off before changing into my pajamas. (Looks intently at Shinji) I think it was that really nice white one… your favorite.
 
Shinji can only nod. Her pajama top was open just enough to let a line of lace show right above where the 2nd button was on her pajamas- Shinji suddenly realized that he could handle seeing her in lingerie… it would take some time before he could handle anything more then that.
 
Shinji: Asuka…
 
Asuka: (Softly as she rests her head on his shoulder) Yes?
 
Shinji: I umm… like the way you look, but let's not rush anything, okay?
 
Asuka: Okay… (Long pause) Shinji… I love you.
 
Shinji: I love you too, Asuka. I umm… really enjoy spending time with you, just like we're doing now…
 
Asuka: (Softly) Me too… (Plants a kiss on Shinji's lips) There's your good luck kiss…
 
Shinji: (Confused) Huh?
 
Asuka: (Winks) You're gonna need it… the women are going to win this morning!
 
Shinji just shrugs and Asuka leaves the room and heads over to Misato's room for the team meeting. Shinji slowly walks out of Asuka's room and finds Kaji cleaning up the dishes in the kitchen. He continues to wash the dishes as he talks to Shinji.
 
Kaji: You guys were in there for a long time… trying to get her to make lunch, too?
 
Shinji: (Shakes his head and ignores Kaji's attempt at a joke) No. She just wanted to give me a good luck kiss… she said that I'll need it.
 
Kaji: I see… you know that most things are a competition for that girl.
 
Shinji: Yeah… but I think she realizes that there are a few things that aren't…
 
Kaji: You know, Shinji, you may think she's training you… but you're helping her out, too. She's really maturing emotionally… and so are you. Look at where you're at now versus right before 3rd Impact…
 
Shinji: You… you're right, Kaji. Asuka and I are very different…
 
Kaji: Different in a good way… not in a bad one. (Clears his throat) Well, I'm done with the dishes. Why don't we discuss our battle plans in your room, so the girls don't hear us…
 
Shinji: Speaking of battle plans… (Raises his voice) Are you crazy? Us versus the three of them? Misato hasn't been drinking… so that makes three deadly opponents for us to go against! My own sister is worth two opponents!
 
Kaji: Calm down, Shinji. I have a plan…
 
Shinji: (Not believing him) Oh, really?
 
Kaji: Yeah. Now let's go and discuss the plan in your room, okay? I don't want the girls to hear…
 
Kaji and Shinji go to Shinji's room and close the door. Over in Misato's room, final preparations are made for the upcoming battle. Their plan is simple- use the numerical advantage against the guys. Asuka and Rei will guard the fort and keep Kaji and Shinji pinned down by a constant barrage of well aimed snowballs while Misato sneaks around and surprises them in an ambush.
 
Asuka: Well, I have to give you credit, Misato… that sounds like a good plan to me.
 
Rei: I agree. You have proven why you are in your position, mom.
 
Misato: Thank you, Rei… (Puts her hand out) For the team!
 
Asuka and Rei follow suit and join Misato's hand in the team gesture. All three then disperse and get ready to go outside. Meanwhile, over in Shinji's room, Kaji begins to relay the details of his plan to Shinji…
 
Kaji: I know you're wondering why I agreed to this battle…

Shinji: (With a slight bit of sarcasm in his voice) You can say that again…
 
Kaji: (Holds up Misato's cell phone) I have a secret weapon… one that we can use to neutralize at least one of our opponents.
 
Shinji: What do you mean by that?
 
Kaji: I know they're friends now… but I can use Kensuke's old dislike of Asuka to our advantage…
 
Shinji shakes his head. Kaji takes a deep breath and hopes that he hasn't offended Shinji by thinking of this idea.
 
Shinji: Using the psychological thing to beat your opponent… that's a sound combat idea.
 
Kaji: I see that some of Kensuke's thinking has rubbed off on you… but it's true. You know I don't mean anything bad towards your fiancée…
 
Shinji blushes and Kaji continues to talk…
 
Kaji: (Points at the ring on Shinji's finger) You two have a ring… there's no need to be embarrassed about it.
 
Shinji: Umm, yeah…
 
Kaji: Now, back to business. We'll have Kensuke secretly join us as soon as the battle starts… he's a good aim and is almost on Rei's level. They sorta cancel each out, as do you and Asuka.
 
Shinji: Wait a second… if Kensuke and I are holding down the fort, what will you be doing?
 
Kaji: I'll be moving in for the kill, of course… it makes sense to use me, since I have lots of stealth skills…
 
Shinji: Hmm… good point. (Motions for the phone) Let me talk to Kensuke, I think I can convince him to help us out.
 
Kaji passes Shinji the phone and he calls up Kensuke. He is soon convinced of the need to help out his fellow pilot and friend… and to defend the pride of the men's team. As soon as he hangs up the phone, Kensuke immediately gets ready for action… picking all white clothes so he can blend into the snow…
 
Shinji: (Closing the phone and handing it back to Kaji) Okay, he's getting ready now and he'll meet us as soon as he can…
 
Kaji: Good work, Shinji… I'll make a spy out of you yet. I do have one more secret weapon to get, but we have to wait until the girls leave…
 
Shinji: What's that?
 
Kaji: Let's just say that someone has a grudge from a prior snowball fight… and would be willing to help us…
 
Shinji: You don't mean…
 
Shinji is about to say his guess when there is a knocking on the door. All conversation ceases as Shinji asks: “Who is it?”
 
There is a moment of silence before an answer is heard. “It's me, liebchen… I'm just letting you know that our team is heading outside to get ready…”
 
Shinji: Okay, Asuka… we'll be out there in a few minutes…
 
Kaji: (Nudges Shinji) Lover, huh? Is that another pet name for you?
 
Shinji: (Blushes) Y-Yeah…
 
In the background, Shinji can hear Asuka leading her team out to battle… “Schnell! Schnell!”
 
Kaji: Looks like Asuka's trying to get them motivated…
 
Shinji: Yeah…
 
Kaji slowly opens the door and looks around. Finding no one in sight, he quickly heads over to Asuka and then Misato's room, checking both to make sure no one was in the apartment. Satisfied that the girls had left, Kaji heads over to the refrigerator and opens the bottom level… and pulls out a package…
 
Shinji: Is that your secret weapon? Fish?
 
Kaji: Behold the power of bartering… (Knocks on Pen-Pen's fridge) Oh Pen-Pen…
 
The penguin opens his door and slowly waddles out… Kaji shakes the package and immediately Pen-Pen's eyes are drawn to the package…
 
Pen-Pen: (Happily waving his flippers) SQUAWWWK!
 
Shinji: (Curious) What kind of fish is that? Pen-pen here seems real happy…
 
Kaji: His favorite, Copper River salmon from Alaska. You know, this stuff is real expensive…
 
Shinji: Why? (Looks at the package closely) 2,000 yen a pound!
 
Kaji: After 2nd Impact, the water levels rose and the Copper River delta disappeared along with some of the spawning grounds of the salmon. I think there's a new delta forming upstream near some bridge called the “Million Dollar Bridge”… *(see footnote at the end of the chapter)
 
Shinji: (Impressed) How'd you know all of that?
 
Kaji: I got bored one day and did some research on that fish… Misato couldn't tell me why he liked that particular fish so much…
 
Pen-Pen: SQUAWK ! (Reaches for the fish)
 
Kaji: One second, Pen-pen… I have a mission for you. (Shaking the fish) If you help us out, I'll let you eat the whole package!
 
Pen-pen nods his head and prepares to hear the conditions for obtaining the fish. Shinji watches as Kaji lays down the plan…
 
Shinji: (After Kaji has explained everything to Pen-Pen, who has agreed to help) That's great that we've got Pen-Pen to help us… but won't Misato be angry that the fish is gone? That cost a lot, yah know…
 
Kaji: Don't worry… if she gets mad, I'll take care of it. You or Pen-pen won't get blamed at all. I think it's time to get ready… I'll meet you two outside. (Looks down at the penguin who is waiting for instructions) Pen-pen, you know what to do… (Hands the package of fish to Pen-Pen)
 
Shinji: Okay, I'll meet you outside… I know you have to take the “alternative” way out…
 
Kaji: Yep… and I need to don my disguise… (Chuckles) Misato could really tell me that I need to shave after seeing me in that…
 
Shinji: Probably.
 
Pen-pen deposits his newly acquired culinary treat in his fridge while Shinji and Kaji get ready to go outside. When Shinji is done, he finds Pen-Pen waiting by the door. Kaji, now in full disguise, gives Shinji and Pen-Pen a “thumbs up” and opens up the false panel in the hallway. Shinji and Pen-Pen step outside… Shinji takes a moment to look over the railing and survey the battlefield. The forts from their previous battle still stand in silence… except for the talking coming from the far fort…
 
Shinji picks up Pen-Pen and holds him up, so he can view the field for himself.
 
Shinji: That's what we're going against… looks like the field hasn't changed much. (Pen-Pen nods) Are you ready to get Misato and the others? (Pen-Pen lets out a soft squawk so as not to alert the girls to his presence outside) Okay, let's do it!
 
Shinji heads over to the elevator with Pen-Pen and both of them head down to the ground floor. As soon as the elevator door opens, Pen-Pen promptly waddles off into the snow covered bushes and “disappears” Shinji heads over to the snow fort and takes stock of the situation… Kaji appears a moment later and Shinji motions him over to the fort…
 
Kaji: (Softly) Any sign of Kensuke yet?
 
Shinji: Nope.
 
Kaji: Is Pen-Pen in position?
 
Shinji: Yeah, he's over in the bushes by the elevators… all we have to do is whistle and he'll come over here.
 
Kaji: I'm gonna start work on extending the fort… last time you guys had 30 minutes of preparation time before starting, right?
 
Shinji: Yeah. I'll make up snowballs for us while you do that…
 
Kaji: I'm gonna make this fort into a complete circle with one way out. That may be dangerous from a tactical standpoint, but it'll make it easier to defend.
 
Shinji: Hmm… one exit, one entrance.
 
Voice: Dangerous, but helpful in this case.
 
Shinji & Kaji: Who said that?
 
Kensuke: (Crawls on the ground as he moves towards them from a nearby snow bank) It's me, Kensuke… I guess my camouflage really works… you two didn't see me at all.
 
Kaji: I knew we called the right man… glad you're here.
 
Shinji: Okay, now what?
 
Kensuke: Tell us, General Unshaven…
 
Shinji: (Very confused) What?
 
Kaji: (Chuckles) Long story. Basically, I get bored being cooped up in the apartment all of the time… I play online against Kensuke…
 
Shinji: Ah… (Pauses) Misato would like that name…
 
Kaji: She does… now back to the task at hand. Shinji and I will grab those two shovels by the elevator and start to extend the fort. The girls already have their shovels it seems, so they won't be coming over here until the battle begins. With Shinji and I working on the fort at the same time, I'm sure they'll get confused and wonder if we're sane…
 
Kensuke: Ah, yes… they'll think you're gonna do a defensive war…
 
Shinji: So Kensuke here will be making snowballs while we extend the fort… that's sounds pretty good.
 
Kaji: (Points over the wall at the other fort) You see that? Asuka and Rei are already doing the same thing… Katsuragi is living up to her reputation…
 
Shinji: (Getting excited) Okay, let's get started then!
 
Kaji: One more thing… I have to tell Kensuke here about our secret weapon.
 
Shinji nods and acts like Kaji is talking to him, even though he is actually talking to Kensuke. After the conversation is finished, Shinji walks over and grabs the two shovels and brings them back to Kaji. The two start to pile up snow and fortify their position, carefully cutting out some lower spots in the forward wall for firing. The back part of the circle soon forms, Kaji carefully designs it so there are hiding places on either side of the entrance/exit to the fort- perfect for an ambush of anyone who dares to enter the fort.
 
On the other side of the field, Misato is packing snowballs while talking to her two teammates…
 
Misato: Can you see what they're up to, girls?
 
Rei: It appears that Shinji is enhancing the front wall of the fort while Kaji is extending the fort into a circular form…
 
Asuka: (Surveying the situation as well) Just like us… but they're not gonna have much time to make snowballs if they focus on the defensive. Like I always say, the best defense is a good offense!
 
Rei: It appears that we have the advantage due to the extra person on our team.
 
Misato: Rei's right… but I wouldn't underestimate those two. I know Kaji has a few tricks up his sleeve…
 
Asuka: How many ways in do you want this fort to have? One or two?
 
Misato: Better make it two… but have a half circle extend from each side of each entrance… creating a hiding place in case we know someone is coming…
 
Asuka: (Excited) We can just jump out and nail them… sounds good to me!
 
Rei: Impressive… (Pauses) Mom, you should set up a small stockpile in each hiding spot to make this idea more effective…
 
Misato: Excellent idea, Rei! Girl power can overcome anything!
 
Asuka: You got that right! Come on, let's get this setup… (Looks at her watch) Only 20 minutes left…
 
Misato: Asuka, can you remind them of the time, please?
 
Asuka: Sure! (Yells across the field) Twenty minutes!
 
Over on the other side, all three of the men hear Asuka and take stock of their current situation…
 
Kaji: Twenty minutes… we're running out of time. It'll take at least half of that to make a big enough circle and prepare those inner extensions… how's our front wall looking, Shinji?
 
Shinji: (Turning to look at Kaji) Well, I got the cuts in the wall ready… we can throw snowballs and then easily duck to the sides to dodge any incoming snowballs. I was going to start adding more to the front of the wall to make it thicker…
 
Kensuke: I think you should work on making the wall higher, not thicker. Last time you got nailed by Misato scaling the wall and jumping down into the fort…
 
Shinji immediately recalls their last full scale snowball fight and the surprise that Misato pulled on them. She jumped in and rolled over against the far wall, then used the opposing teams reserves against them… Shinji ate quite a bit of snow that day…
 
Kaji: (Chuckles at the memory of that night) Misato was bragging about that the whole night… I think Kensuke has a point. The walls are already thick enough… try to make the front half as tall as you can… I'll do the same with the back half.
 
Shinji: Won't that impair our ability to see if they're sneaking around outside the fort?
 
Kensuke: With only one way in and out, that won't be a problem. Make the walls high enough and then they'll think twice about trying to climb over them again…
 
Everyone pauses as a call of “17 minutes” is heard in the distance.
 
Kaji: It seems like Asuka is our official timekeeper…
 
Kensuke: You two work on the walls for the next ten minutes or so, then come inside here and make some snowballs with me. We'll have so many snowballs, we could throw them all morning…
 
Kaji: Sounds good, let's do it!
 
Across the field, Misato switches places with Rei and surveys the new activities that their opponents are engaging in…
 
Misato: Damn! If they're raising their walls, I can't jump in there again!
 
Asuka: There goes that tactic…
 
Rei: It would still be possible to get over the wall… but the height of the wall and the thickness of it wouldn't support any of us… and there is also the drop into the other side to consider.
 
Misato: We'd be vulnerable to fire before, during, and after the attempt. (Sighs) Scratch doing that this morning…
 
Asuka: (Glances at her watch) Well, we have less then ten minutes… what's the plan, Misato?
 
Misato: (Thinks for a moment) Let's see… with the way our fort is set up, we can see them coming and with these small side slits, we can see them sneaking around the sides. All we need to do is raise the walls in the back… we can nail `em if they come in front.
 
Rei: Sounds viable…
 
Misato: I also have a little trick of my own… we'll use it later, though… (Chuckles)
 
Asuka: (Nervously) Why do I have a bad feeling about that?
 
Misato: (Waves her hand) No need to worry… I just borrowed something from my “home defensive kit”, that's all. I do have some stuff in our house, in case something happens…
 
Asuka: I can understand that… (Distraught) I don't want you to shoot them! Especially Shinji!
 
Rei: Mom, I hope you did not bring a weapon… (Concerned) I do not want my brother shot…
 
Misato: Are you two serious? You think I'd actually shoot my soon to be husband and Shinji? (Sighs) (Pulls two things out of her right pocket) This is what I plan on using… we can thank NERV later for providing something so… useful.
 
Rei: (Glancing are at what Misato has pulled out) Now I see what you meant… quite clever, mom.
 
Asuka: (Also looking at Misato's surprise) They're goners for sure!
 
On the other side of the field, Shinji is getting curious about all of the excitement that he can hear…
 
Shinji: Sounds like something is going on over there…
 
Kaji: Ignore it… it's probably one of Misato's distraction plans… get those walls patted down… I know we don't have much time left…
 
Shinji: Okay. (Yells towards the other fort) How much time left, Asuka?
 
Asuka: (Yelling back) Five minutes!
 
Shinji: (Speaking to Kaji and Kensuke) Okay, so we have five minutes… what's the plan again?
 
Kaji: Basically you two keep throwing snowballs to cover me… I'll sneak around and get inside the fort. After I leave, call Pen-Pen and have him go around the other way… they won't expect him to be helping us and he'll be a good distraction and cover for me…
 
Kensuke: (Softly) Sounds good, General. I'm ready for battle!
 
Shinji: With Kensuke here, they will have nothing to shoot at… the snowball will come from nowhere…
 
Kaji: (Nods his head) Precisely.
 
Last second preparations are made on both sides and soon the word “Time!” is heard, echoing the start of an epic battle…
 
After hearing the word time, Shinji turns around and looks out of the exit to the fort. He notices Pen-Pen peering around the corner of a bush and gives him a signal to let him know that everything is good. Pen-Pen sees the “thumbs-up” and returns to his position and awaits his opportunity for revenge.
 
Snowballs soon begin to fly as the battle begins. The first few thrown on both sides miss as the participants get used to the new size of the opposing team's front walls and their strength.
 
Kaji is the first one hit, a snowball drops into the fort at an almost perfect angle…
 
Kaji: (Wiping the snow off of his face) Must have been one of Rei's…
 
Shinji: Probably… (Gets smacked by a snowball) Damn!
 
On the other side, the girls are getting excited by all of the hits they are apparently scoring. Rei has shown Misato and Asuka how to throw over the new and improved walls on the other side.
 
Asuka: Rei, you gotta be on my team every time we do this…
 
Rei: I appreciate the vote of confidence, but we have just started to fight…
 
A volley of snowballs flies in a moment later… Kensuke has just taught his side the same thing. Asuka and Misato are hit, but Rei bares the brunt of the attack… her hat is knocked off of her head…
 
Rei: (Suddenly full of energy) This means war!
 
Asuka and Misato are taken aback by what Rei just said… but are soon back to throwing and making snowballs. The battle continues, both sides score an occasion hit, but nothing major has happened yet. Both leaders are waiting for the right time to unleash their sneak attacks…
 
Kaji: Shinji, now! I'm heading out, signal Pen-Pen to begin his run!
 
Shinji: Will do!
 
The girls hear a whistle and are immediately suspicious… something has just happened and nothing has appeared to change.
 
Asuka: Misato, what do you think just happened?
 
Misato: (Scratches her chin) Hmm. Knowing Kaji, they're about to unleash a secret weapon or some special tactic. I think it's time to implement our plan…
 
Asuka: (Unzipping her jacket and taking it off) I'll be ready in a second…
 
Misato: Rei, I've entrusted you with my secret weapon, since you have the best aim. Launch it about 2 minutes after I leave… Asuka send yours out about 30 seconds from now.
 
Asuka: Are you sure mine will work for 15 seconds?
 
Misato: Has he seen that one before?
 
Asuka: No, he hasn't.
 
Misato: Then don't worry about it. You two prepare to rush their fort from the opposite side after my surprise has taken effect… (Chuckles) I brought something for Kaji that you can throw, too…
 
Rei and Asuka nod and Misato begins her run. Asuka softly counts down the time until “launch” Kaji uses the trees that line either side of the “neutral zone” between the forts as a screen to keep hidden, he has decided to head off to the right from his fort… while Pen-Pen heads off to the left.
 
Fifteen seconds into Misato's run, Shinji notices that the incoming snowballs have stopped.
 
Shinji: Kensuke, something's about to happen… I can feel it.
 
Kensuke: Then get those traps ready… if I was them, I'd use the numerical advantage and attack the opposing fort. I'm heading into the left hiding place, you take the right…
 
Shinji: Okay… I'm gonna keep throwing snowballs…
 
Kensuke: Of course, don't let up until its time to go on defense…
 
About five seconds after that statement, Asuka launches her attack. A red snowball sails across the field and lands right in front of Shinji…
 
Kensuke: (Looking down at the ground) Damn!
 
Shinji: What the…? (Looks down at the ground) Its… one of Asuka's bras… (Starts to reach for the bra)
 
Kensuke: (Smirking) How do you know it's hers?
 
Shinji: Umm uh.... well… I do the laundry after all.
 
As Shinji takes the bra into his hands, another snowball heads into the fort and hits Kensuke square in the face. Kensuke removes the snowball and the attached black object off of his face and turns very red.
 
Shinji: So… they wanted to distract us both.
 
Kensuke: (Stunned by the sight in his hands) This is… what Misato wears?
 
Shinji: (Getting a better look at the bra in question) Yes. Who else in our house has a bra that big?
 
Kensuke: (Putting the bra down on the ground) Umm… of course. It has to be hers…
 
Shinji: (Dropping Asuka's bra to the ground) I see something… (Walks up to a slit in the front wall and looks across the field) No one's out there… but I could have sworn I saw some smoke…
 
Kensuke: Damn… we almost fell for their trick. Shinji, they could have nailed us when we were looking at bras… (Moves into the hiding place and blends in)
 
Shinji: Yeah… they know us too well. I wonder how Kaji is doing? (Moves into the other hiding place and awaits the attack he knows is coming)
 
Over in the trees, Misato is slowly approaching the opposing fort. She watches as the two bra-balls head into the fort and then she hears a sound… her surprise has just been lit.
 
Misato: (Softly to herself) Any moment now…
 
A loud “Banzai!” is heard as another ball heads over into the men's fort… smoke soon starts to billow and expand from the impact site… sounds of coughing are heard from within…

Misato: (Softly) Got `em!
 
Voice: Nice one… but not everyone's in there…
 
Misato: (Looking around) Who's there?
 
Voice: Your worst nightmare!
 
The last thing Misato hears is a snapping branch before a huge mound of snow falls on top of her head, burying her all the way up to her chest.
 
Misato: Damn it! (Looks down at her snow covered body and sighs)
 
Voice: You should have paid more attention to the layout of the land…
 
Misato: (Defiantly) The girls will still win! (Shivers) I think some snow got into my sweater… my bra feels wet.
 
Kaji: (Hopping down from the tree he was in to stand in front of Misato) Sorry, honey… wait a second… did you say b…
 
Misato takes advantage of this momentary distraction on Kaji's part and grabs his leg, sending him down face first into the snow. She starts pulling his body towards her and soon is position to exact revenge…
 
Kaji: (Lifting his face out of the snow) You know me too well…
 
Misato: That I do…
 
With one swift motion, Misato pulls on Kaji's pants and shoves a hand full of snow into them. Kaji almost screams because of the sudden shock and numbness…
 
Misato: Now we're even…
 
Kaji starts flopping around like a fish out of water because of the shock and eventually ends up almost face to face with her…
 
Kaji: That wasn't funny… (Starts to dig down into the snow)
 
Misato: What the hell are you doing?
 
Kaji: You'll find out in about five seconds…
 
Misato tries in vain to pull herself out of the mound of snow that she's stuck in. She feels a momentary sensation of warmth and then extreme cold…

Misato: (Yelling) Damn it! That's c-c-cold! Kaji!
 
Kaji: (Pulling his arms out of the new hole he just created) Got yah again, honey!
 
Misato: (Trying a last ditch tactic) Kaji, dear… you got me all wet down there…

Kaji blushes at the dirty thought that Misato just stated. Misato grabs the tree trunk that's next to her and begins to shake it…
 
Kaji: No, don't do that! You'll cause an…
 
All sound is cut off by a huge mound of snow falling on both parties. Kaji and Misato frantically dig in front of their bodies to reach for air… and each other.
 
Misato: (Finally making an air hole) Whew! That was scary… are you okay, Kaji?
 
Kaji: (Reaching for Misato's hand) Yeah, I think so… remind me never to get you angry. You sure know how to get revenge…
 
Misato: Yep.
 
Kaji: Well, we're outta the fight… but it's not over yet. My secret weapon is trashing your fort by now… if my guess is right.
 
Misato: What do you mean?
 
Kaji: You sent the girls to raid our fort, right?
 
Misato: Of course I did… that's what the bras and smoke bomb were for. Shinji should be surrendering any second now…
 
Kaji: Well, that may not happen as easily as you think. Pen-Pen is destroying your fort as we speak… and Shinji has a helper to help defend our fort. The girls will have nothing to retreat to…
 
Misato: Damn, you're good. (Pauses) How'd you recruit Pen-Pen?
 
Kaji: Well, I gave him that special salmon of yours…
 
Misato gets angry but can't really do anything. Kaji picked the perfect time to reveal his secret… Misato could only assault him verbally, not physically.
 
Misato: (Sighs) I should have thought of that… then you guys would have really been toast. (Sticks out her tongue at Kaji) Well, since I'm stuck here… tell me about this “helper”…
 
Kaji: Well… how do you think we got our aim to be so good without Rei's help?
 
Misato: (Instantly knows the answer) Kensuke…
 
Kaji: Very good, my love… and he's in full white gear. He surprised me and Shinji when we came outside… so you know he'll be pretty hard to spot.
 
Misato: I wouldn't count those two out yet, we'll have to wait and see…

Kaji: Yeah…
 
Misato and Kaji turn their attentions to the action in the forts. Pen-Pen had indeed gone around the other way unnoticed and is tunneling into the women's fort, causing major damage. Over by the men's fort, Kensuke and Shinji have gotten used to the smoke and have almost totally suppressed their coughing. Visibility is still zero, however. Both teens anxiously await the arrival of their opponents.
 
Outside the fort, Asuka and Rei are positioned just outside of the smoke radius. They quickly scan the area and then Asuka takes the lead and motions Rei to follow her inside. The two head inside and then each one starts grabbing around in the smoke, trying to get a hold of Shinji… unaware of Kensuke's presence. Asuka hears a muffled cough and immediately dives in that general direction…
 
Asuka: (Grabbing a hold of something) I got you, Shinji!
 
Shinji immediately recognizes Asuka's voice and tries to think of a way out of her hold without hurting her. There is only one option available…
 
Asuka is suddenly pulled forward into Shinji's grasp. Both teens lock their arms around each other and attempt to pin the other. Shinji desperately tries to grab for a makeshift lever that he knows is there… somewhere…

Asuka: (Trying to psych out Shinji) Give up, Shinji! Rei will be here any second!
 
Shinji: Not if I can help it… (Finally gets a hold of the lever) I'm sorry, Asuka… but it'll just be you and me… (Pulls on the lever)
 
Asuka continues to thrash around with Shinji, unaware of what he just did. A huge mound of snow has just been loosened and now begins to pour down upon both Asuka and Shinji. The haze and smoke were finally beginning to clear… and not a second too soon. Rei hears Asuka scream and moves towards the sound.
 
Rei: I am coming, Asuka…
 
Suddenly, out of nowhere, a pair of arms encircle Rei and pull her backwards. She is totally surprised by this… she was unaware of anyone else being in the fort.
 
Rei: (Struggling) Who's there?
 
Kensuke: I got you, Rei… and I'm never letting go!
 
Though he was speaking out of excitement for the game, Kensuke's words also momentarily have a different meaning for Rei. She stops for a moment and blushed as the thought of being with Kensuke passed thru her mind. Kensuke notices the sudden stop and speaks again.
 
Kensuke: Are you okay?
 
Rei: (With a smile) Yes… but I will be even better after this battle…
 
With a renewed sense of energy, Rei turns herself around and hugs Kensuke, who is caught unawares by this maneuver. She gently pushes him backward, causing them both to stagger back against the wall of the fort.
 
Kensuke: (Taking stock of the situation) Now what?

Rei: (Trying to bluff and psych Kensuke out) Please surrender, Ken-kun… Misato will be here any moment. I heard Kaji cry out earlier… I think she managed to disable him.
 
Kensuke: (Sighs) You may be right… but I still one last trick up my sleeve.

Rei quickly tries to deduce what he means while Kensuke's left arm quickly reaches for the trip lever for the snow trap. About five seconds later, Kensuke and Rei are in the same situation as Asuka and Shinji… totally buried in snow with their partner up to their necks. Both Kensuke and Rei are on equal level, about a foot apart. Shinji and Asuka are the first to talk about their “situation”…
 
Asuka: (Sarcastically) This is just great, Shinji…
 
Shinji: Well, I had to do it, Asuka… I don't give up without a fight.
 
Asuka: (Impressed) I see…
 
Shinji: I learned that from you… your determination and fighting spirit are incredible.
 
Asuka: Thanks… and good move, by the way. You knew I was going to pin you down, so you decide to take me down with you. (Asuka wriggles her buried arms around and slowly encircles Shinji's body) I think we should make the best of this situation…
 
Before Shinji can ask what she meant by that, Asuka starts to passionately kiss him. Shinji returns the kiss and tries to move his arms but is unable to do so. In the process of attempting to move around, Shinji's hands sudden come upon something firm but soft. Asuka stops the kissing and looks at Shinji…
 
Asuka: Now who's getting frisky? (Shinji turns red) (Sticks out her tongue playfully) I can feel you grabbing my ass…
 
Shinji: (Embarrassed) Asuka… I didn't mean to…
 
Asuka: (Sighs) Shinji… don't be afraid to be bold with me. I like it when you surprise me… (Winks)
 
Shinji: Oh, okay…
 
Shinji takes a deep breath and then plants a kiss on Asuka's lips. She can feel his hands gently grabbing her behind… Shinji was being bold and she liked it. Shinji briefly pauses as a slight moan is heard from Asuka. `Goodness, Shinji is doing such a good job… he feels so good!'
 
Asuka: (Softly) Shinji… don't stop… please…
 
Shinji just nods and returns to what he was doing, much to Asuka's delight. About ten feet away, Kensuke and Rei can hear Asuka and Shinji making out. They cannot see them, but are aloof to everything that's going on over there. Rei and Kensuke look at each and blush as the moans and kisses continue…
 
Kensuke: Sounds like they're really getting into it. (Pauses before deciding to speak what's on his mind) Rei, umm…
 
Rei: (Very interested in what Kensuke is about to say) Go on…
 
Kensuke: (Nervously) Umm… maybe we could… kiss… you know… to keep warm.
 
Rei: (Nods her head) Sounds like a good idea, Ken-kun… but my arms are stuck. I do not wish to strain my neck…

Kensuke: Okay… (Rapidly tries to think of a solution to this problem, he wants to kiss Rei really badly) Let me try and dig out some of the snow from in front of me… I think my hands are pretty close to you…
 
Kensuke rapidly moves his hands in an effort to create some kind of space in front of him; Rei is just out of reach for a kiss. He first digs out his other hand, which had been trapped during the springing of the trap and then proceeds to dig down and then slowly starts to tunnel forward.
 
Rei: I believe that you are almost there, Ken-kun. The snow in front of me is starting to move.
 
Kensuke: Okay, good. I'm almost there… (Continues to dig and reaches the fabric of Rei's blue jacket) Now all I need to do is dig around you, Rei, and we'll be set…
 
Kensuke pushes forward and some of the snow begins to move. His body is now directly in front of Rei, about 5 inches away. All he needs to do is get his arms around her and pull her closer. As he attempts to dig around her, he notices that Rei's face has suddenly turned red as a tomato.
 
Kensuke: Rei, what's wrong?
 
Rei: (Still reeling from that unfamiliar yet wonderful feeling she just experienced) N-nothing…
 
Kensuke is puzzled by her comment and her sudden blushing but decides to continue his work.
 
Kensuke: (Trying to reassure his girlfriend) Don't worry... I'll get you out of there and warmed up soon...
 
Rei: (Closing her eyes and softly moaning) Mmmmm ah... oh...
 
Kensuke: (Getting worried) Just hold on... I've almost got you...
 
Rei: (Softly) Yes... just... mmm... ah...
 
Kensuke can only worry about his girlfriend as her face is flushed and her eyes are held tightly shut. He frantically moves his arm, trying to get closer to her and to lift her out of the snow... back and forth he moves his hand in an attempt to dig her out...
 
Over at the other snow mound, Shinji and Asuka are winding down their make out session when they hear noises coming from the other snow mound…
 
Asuka: (Shocked) Is that… Rei?
 
Shinji: (Showing brotherly concern) What the hell are they doing over there?
 
Asuka: (Messing with Shinji) Hmm… sounds like they're keeping warm to me…
 
Shinji: (Loudly) What?! Kensuke is gonna…
 
Asuka: (Calmly) Hush, Shin-chan… let her enjoy being with her boyfriend. Why don't you use all of the energy you seem to have and help get us out of here? (Winks)
 
Shinji: (Slightly annoyed) Fine, fine… (Starts to dig in an attempt to free himself and Asuka)
 
Back over at the other snow mound, Kensuke has finally managed to dig around Rei- it won't be too much of a problem to get closer to her now. Rei is now shivering and desperately trying to get her arms free… she needs to have his body next to her own, especially after what just happened.

Kensuke: Rei, are you all right?
 
Rei: (Starts to feel the effects of the cold now that Kensuke has stopped his “digging”) K-ken-kun… my arms…
 
Kensuke rapidly digs around Rei some more and soon frees her arms. He wants to get out of the mound as soon as possible and free Rei. Rei, however, is still reeling from what just happened…
 
Rei: I believe we should kiss now… (Starts to passionately kiss Kensuke)
 
Kensuke wraps his arms around Rei and pulls her next to him as the kissing continues. `She's being very passionate and she's got so much energy… I don't think we'll get cold…'
 
Rei is also thinking to herself as the kissing continues- `What happened earlier was… wonderful. I've never had a feeling like that before… and he still hasn't realized what happened. I would like to feel that one more time before we leave this snow mound…'
 
Both teens have not noticed that some of the snow has begun to melt around them, making it possible for a not too difficult exit. Kensuke gently finishes up a kiss and pulls away to stare at his love…
 
Kensuke: (Trying to put his feelings into words about what just happened) Rei… that was… wonderful…
 
Rei: (Slightly blushing) Yes… yes it was. (Nervously) Ken-kun, I have a favor to ask before we pull ourselves out…
 
Kensuke is unsure of what she may ask for but decides to respond in an affirmative fashion by nodding his head and saying “Anything, Rei…”
 
Rei: (Takes Kensuke's left hand into hers) Please… (Tries to tell him what to do but can't)
 
Rei takes his hand and places it right above her heart. She holds it against her body and prepares to ask Kensuke a question.
 
Rei: Can you feel my heart beating?
 
Kensuke: (Focusing on his hand and the rhythm and pulsing he can feel below it) Yes… it feels like it's beating so fast… (Closes his eyes)
 
Rei: (Very softly) Yes… and it wasn't just the kiss… (Moves Kensuke's left hand slightly) This is where you were… (Pauses)… touching me while you were digging.
 
Kensuke opens his eyes and then they bug out- Rei has put his left hand on her right breast.
 
Kensuke: (Very nervous and afraid) Rei, I'm sorry! I didn't know I was… (Chokes on his words and is unable to finish the sentence)
 
Kensuke wants to pull his hand away but can't- Rei continues to hold it there. She intently looks at Kensuke…
 
Rei: (In a calming tone of voice) Do not worry about it, Ken-kun. I am not mad. I… (Blushes)… enjoyed the feeling you gave me.
 
Kensuke: Oh… and you want me to um… (Looks down at his hand and gulps)
 
Rei: (Nods her head) Just for a moment. I realize that this is something that is… very advanced. I was not expecting this to happen until later in our relationship…
 
Kensuke: (Nods his head in agreement) Yeah…
 
Kensuke realizes that Rei is not trying to rush things… she wasn't expecting this to happen. Since it did, however, she wants to enjoy it just a little more before they go back to their normal relationship. He was never expecting to get this far with Rei this fast… this was an accident. Kensuke could feel his mind screaming at him… `Go for it! She wants YOU… you can obviously please her and she needs you!'
 
Kensuke closes his eyes and then slowly moves his left hand and imitates what he was doing before. Rei closes her eyes and removes her hand from his. A moment later, Rei can feel the pleasurable sensations start to course through her body once again. Soft moans fill the air as Kensuke continues. After what feels like an eternity to Rei, he stops with trembling hands and opens his eyes to look at her.
 
Kensuke: R-Rei…
 
Rei: (Slowly opens her eyes and smiles) Ken-kun… that was… wonderful…
 
Before Kensuke can say anything in reply Shinji's voice is suddenly heard…
 
Shinji: (Trying not to explode) Kensuke… could you take your hand off of my sister?
 
Kensuke pulls his hand back in an instant and begins to quake with fear, he doesn't want to face Shinji's wrath.
 
Asuka walks up next to Shinji and places a hand on his shoulder.
 
Asuka: Hey, calm down… I think you may be taking this big brother thing too far. If Rei didn't want him touching her, don't you think she would've smacked him or something?
 
Kensuke: (Coming up with a quick excuse) Well, umm… Rei's arms were um… trapped and I was umm… trying to free them by digging her out…
 
Shinji: (Not buying the story) I find that hard to believe…
 
Rei: Brother, I believe that you are no position to talk. Kensuke and I heard many “interesting” sounds coming from you and Asuka…
 
Shinji: (Caught by Rei) Well, umm… I can explain that… umm… (Looks at Asuka) Come on, Asuka, help me out here!
 
Asuka: Face it, Shinji… your sister is growing up and she knows what she wants from her man… just like me…
 
Shinji: (Softly under his breath) That's all we need… for Rei to be taking after Asuka…
 
Asuka: (Catching a few words of what Shinji said) What was that?

Shinji: (Whistles) Oh, nothing, nothing at all…
 
Asuka: (Eyes narrowing) I'll bet…
 
Before Asuka can begin to strangle Shinji, more voices are heard behind them. Kaji and Misato walk up to the two couples and look at the situation…
 
Kaji: (Observing the snow covered Kensuke and Rei and the other snow mound off to the side) I see the traps worked…
 
Shinji: A little too well…
 
Asuka: Well, how are we gonna decide who won today?
 
Misato: I think we should call it a draw… besides, there's not much left of our fort, anyways…
 
Rei: What happened to it?
 
Misato: (Sighs) Kaji recruited Pen-Pen… who trashed it while all of us were stuck in the snow.
 
Shinji: (Smirks at Asuka) Well, if that's the case, then I think the guys won…
 
Asuka: (Defiantly) Oh, really?
 
Asuka quickly tackles Shinji, slamming both of them into the wall of the fort. A moment later, snow begins to slide down onto the fighting couple and causes an interruption of the fight…
 
Shinji: Aaaah! Damn that's cold! (Tries to get the snow off of his collar)
 
Asuka: (Brushes off the snow that has fallen on her clothes) Hmph! Serves you right, Third Child!
 
Kaji and Misato help Rei and Kensuke out of the snow mound while Shinji and Asuka argue amongst themselves.
 
Kaji: (To Misato) Some things never change…
 
Misato: (Nods her head) Yeah…

Asuka: (Turns to look at Misato and Kaji with a penetrating gaze) What did you guys say about me?
 
Kaji: Oh, nothing… (Whistles softly to himself)
 
Misato: We were commenting about you, Asuka… as much as Shinji has trained you, you still have certain personality traits that will never go away…
 
Asuka: (Looks at Misato with a puzzled look) Shinji training me? What do you mean by that?
 
Misato: (Flippantly) Oh nothing Asuka... why don't you ask Shinji... (Misato then saunters off to help her daughter and Kensuke)
 
Just after Asuka's Third Child comment, Shinji is suddenly overtaken by bad memories. He looks around… and sees white everywhere. `This is just like when those… EVA's… were attacking… she called me “Third Child” again… why? Why do I have to remember these things!'
 
Asuka watched Misato walk away and gave the older woman a glare before turning around and noticing that Shinji is totally zoned out and is now curled up in the fetal position on the ground. She rushes over to him and asks what's wrong…
 
Shinji (Mumbling): I'm so weak.. I'm pathetic... I can't go... I can't....
 
Asuka: (Extremely concerned and having no idea what's running through his mind) Shinji! Talk to me, please!
 
Shinji: (Lost in memories- mutters in a low voice) Please Asuka... don't die... please... don't... die...
 
Asuka: (Almost in tears) Shinji, I'm right here!
 
Asuka is taken back by this and can't help but wonder why would she die in a snowball fight? Then it hit her, the only times she came close to dying was when fighting the angels... and when SEELE attacked NERV...
Asuka calms herself and begins to whisper into his ear.
 
Asuka: I didn't die... you saved us. You saved me. Shinji, I love you.
 
Shinji: (Softly) I love you Asuka…
 
Asuka watches as Shinji steps back and wipes his eyes… Rei and Misato move forward and ask if he's all right, both of them give him a hug… causing him to be crushed in between them…
 
Shinji: (Trying to free himself) Thanks… I'm all right now…
 
Misato and Rei back off and Shinji looks at Asuka and is about to speak when suddenly voices are heard from the far end of the field…
 
Toji and Hikari have walked into the other fort and are very surprised to see Pen-Pen in there, digging into the walls and causing destruction…
 
Hikari: (Stoops down and picks up Pen-Pen) Pen-Pen, what are you doing?
 
Pen-Pen squawks and then cuddles up to Hikari. Toji watches with awe as she begins to softly talk to the penguin like a little baby…
 
Toji: (To himself) Wow… the way she does that is really nice… I bet she'd make a nice mother…
 
Over on the other side of the field, Kensuke has managed to form a consensus with one thing in mind- a blitzkrieg. Toji sees a volley of white coming his way out of the corner of his eye and pushes Hikari and Pen-Pen into a nearby hole and covers it with his body…
 
Hikari: (Agitated) Toji! What was that for?
 
Toji: I was just…
 
The volley of snowballs lands inside the fort and a good number of them hit Toji on the back, causing him to curse aloud. A few seconds later, another volley lands and hits Toji. Hikari begins to get concerned, the snowballs seem to keep coming… the frequency seems to be increasing as time goes by.
 
Kaji is stealthily sneaking up to the fort and he can hear Hikari frantically asking Toji what's going on as well as Toji's muttering about killing someone for the snowball barrage. Kaji is chuckling to himself and is about to make his move when a snowball hit him in the back of the head.
 
Kaji turns around and glares but his glare softens when he sees Misato waving at him. She gives him a quick wink and then he then moves into position. The right moment soon comes along…
 
Toji can hear footsteps approaching but is distracted by the snowballs landing all around him. He suddenly hears the word “Surprise!” and is pushed into the large hole by Kensuke. Kaji collapses the wall of snow a moment later, sealing Toji, Hikari, and Pen-Pen in the hole. A small stream of light comes in from a tunnel that Pen-Pen had dug earlier… it provides much needed air and a way out if expanded…
 
Toji: Where are you, Hikari? (Gropes around in the dark)
 
Hikari: (Her back to the tunnel, she is unable to see anything) I'm right in front of you, Toji…
 
Toji: (Continues to feel around in the dark) I think there was… (Stops for a moment and then starts to move his fingers) This feels soft… I wonder what it is?
 
Hikari: (Very angry) Su-za-ha-ra!
 
Toji: (Oblivious to the danger that he's in, continues to move his hand) What's wrong now?
 
Toji knows she angry for some reason, she doesn't spell out his last name like that unless he's in big trouble. He gets his answer a moment later…
 
Hikari: (Loudly) Do you know WHERE you're touching me?
 
Toji: (Shrugs his shoulders) I dunno…
 
Outside of the “cave”, Misato and the others are all listening in on what's going on in there, they exchange glances after Hikari's “Where you're touching me” comment…
 
Hikari: (Yelling) Stop touching my breasts!
 
Toji: Huh? (Stops, then takes a cautionary squeeze… the reality of what he has been doing soon hits him) Umm… (Begins to shake and be very afraid) Umm… Hikari I'm umm…
 
Hikari: (Finishing the sentence) You're dead, Toji!
 
Hikari starts to smack Toji as Pen-Pen moves off to the side and starts to dig towards the light, slowly opening a way out. Outside of the “cave”, Misato and the others chuckle about the situation that is going on inside of the “cave”…
 
Toji: (Tries to defend himself against Hikari's rage by putting his arms up) OWW! That hurts!
 
Hikari: (Pushing Toji) That's what you get for feeling me up!
 
Hikari blushes after saying that last line… she knows that he didn't do that on purpose… and it actually felt enjoyable. However, it's too early in her mind for this kind of thing to be happening… she wants to slowly develop the relationship and not rush things…
 
In the meantime, Pen-Pen has finally managed to dig a big enough hole to crawl out of and heads out of the “cave” into safety, where Misato picks him up and holds him. Kensuke and Shinji just shake their heads as the scuffling sounds continue…
 
Kensuke: I guess Toji couldn't keep his hands to himself…
 
Misato: (In a teasing fashion) Well, you know how men are… (Winks)
 
Kaji, Shinji, and Kensuke turn and look at Misato and smile…
 
Kaji: Now!
 
Asuka and Rei watch as snowballs from Kaji, Shinji, and Kensuke pummel Misato… Pen-Pen drops out of her grasp a few seconds before the snowballs hit and runs behind Asuka and watches Misato get pummeled.
 
Asuka: Serves her right…
 
Rei: Mom picked the wrong time to make that comment… (Asuka nods)
 
See what happens next and what the surveillance video reveals in the next chapter, Chapter 28: Evening Talks
 
I have already begun work on the next chapter, so it won't take too long to get posted. I know only the hard core would notice this… but this is my longest chapter. Thirty-eight pages and approx. 12475 words… hope you had as much fun reading this as I did writing it…
 
*I lived in Alaska for 1