Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 29: Aftermath ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 29: Aftermath
 
The song “Anticipation” by the Bar-Kays is copyright 1982 by Universal International. (The album this appeared on, Nightcruising, was released on 11-01-1982) I recommend finding a copy of this song to get the true feeling of the emotions conveyed later in this chapter… I'm sure it can be found on various download services. Thanks to Tex, Blasterlion, and RanmaSaotome103 for their help with this chapter.
 
Sunday January 17th, 2016
 
After about 15 minutes of waiting, Kaji is very worried that Misato hasn't called. The sudden deployment of the Section 2 personnel and the series of explosions are definitely not ordinary occurrences...
 
Asuka, who has been silent ever since she snuggled her head against Shinji, turns her head and catches a glimpse of a worried Kaji pacing around the apartment...
 
Asuka: Kaji... Misato hasn't called, has she?
 
Kaji: (Frustrated) No... and I'm getting worried. Something major is going on...
 
Asuka: Yeah...
 
There is a moment of silence and then the phone rings. Kaji's hand shoots towards the phone and in a moment it's against his ear...
 
Misato: (Calling from NERV HQ) (In a whisper) Kaji... sorry for not calling sooner.
 
Kaji: (Surprised) How did you know it was me?
 
Misato: Because I knew you'd be worried about me and would be waiting near the phone...
 
Kaji: (Softly) Of course, my love...
 
Misato: Listen... I don't have much time to talk. Basically, there was an incident... we think it was a SEELE operative. Some of our troops caught him trying to recon some of our outer defenses and then he blew himself up...
 
Kaji: One person was carrying that many explosives? That looked like a good size blast...
 
Misato: Apparently, there was a group of people working together... the rest of the group assaulted the building and then BOOM... it's really a mess down here...
 
Kaji: I bet...
 
Misato: Look, I gotta get back to work before I get in trouble. Tell the kids that I'm fine and not to worry too much... I'll be home as soon as I can...
 
Kaji: Sure, no problem... I'll be waiting for you- come back soon, okay?
 
Misato: I'll try... (Hangs up the phone) (Sighs aloud) Damn... this is gonna be a long night...
 
As Misato returns to work, Kaji puts down the phone. Three faces are staring at him intently from the couch...
 
Asuka: Well, what did she say?
 
Rei: (Concerned) Is mom okay?
 
Shinji: Yeah, is Misato okay?
 
Kaji smiles and sits down on the couch next to the three and then tells them about what Misato had just relayed to him. All three nod their heads knowingly and realize that the situation was getting more serious in regards to SEELE- they were starting to use physical means to threaten NERV and were not sitting by idly while NERV searched them out. Kaji stands up and heads over to a nearby closet. Returning a moment later, he drops several blankets on the floor...
 
Kaji: It's getting late... and I know you two don't want to leave Shinji's side... so why don't you spend the night out here?
 
Asuka: Good idea!
 
Kaji: Rei, Asuka, Shinji... I'll see you in the morning. (Yawns) I know Misato said she'd be home as soon as possible... but I know it'll be morning by the time she gets in and I need some rest...
 
Rei: Good night.
 
Asuka: See yah in the morning...
 
Shinji: `Night Kaji...
 
Kaji heads off for bed and spends over five minutes looking at a picture of Misato and thinking about her before falling asleep. Back in the front room, Shinji is organizing the blankets while Rei gets some pillows for them. All three get ready for bed and Shinji is the first one back. He lies down in the middle, since he knows that Asuka and Rei will be on either side. After pulling the covers over his body he drifts off to sleep... the day has been quite long and exhausting for everyone...
 
Asuka and Rei return a few minutes later and find the sleeping Shinji...
 
Asuka: Looks like he's already out...
 
Rei: It has been a long day...
 
Asuka: Yeah... too long...
 
Rei turns down the light and then both girls head into the front room. Asuka snuggles under the covers next to Shinji on his right side- Rei does the same on his left side. After saying “good night” to each other, both girls fall asleep right away and despite the current situation, find some comfort in being with Shinji. Shinji wakes up a short while later and finds the two women sleeping next to him. He takes a few breaths and then nervously smiles…
 
`Looks like these two really need me… and I need them. Without them, my life would be…' Shinji stops that thought and focuses on more positive thoughts as he falls asleep again.
 
Over at NERV HQ, Misato is having the headache of her life... the loud shouts and the constant beeping are hitting harder then any hangover that she can remember...
 
Commander Ikari decides to bring order to the chaos by asking for order and a review of the information that they already have. Video surveillance logs are piped onto the view screen by Hyuga and Aoba. The two technicians review computer information while the command staff watches the logs and witnesses what has happened just a short while ago…
 
Maya: That guy just... (Still shocked by what she just witnessed on the screen)... blew himself up...
 
Misato: It has to be someone from SEELE... it couldn't be someone from regular terrorist groups- no one has claimed responsibility for this and it's just too suspicious...
 
Kozo: I agree... I think SEELE is trying to recon the city. It's possible they'll try to attack us...
 
Gendo: Their course of action seems to indicate that possibility. I have already called the U.N. and other military organizations to investigate the site- we will find out who did this... (Folds his hands in front of him)
 
Maya: Why haven't they tried hacking into our computer systems again?
 
Aoba: Judging by these logs, they tried to do that on a local level- it seems like they couldn't get in from wherever they're hiding...
 
Hyuga: Nothing happened, though...
 
Gendo: Correct. The Type 666 firewall has remained in place and has somehow adapted to any outside threats. Credit must be given to Dr. Akagi for designing such a... formidable defense...
 
At the mention of Dr. Akagi's name, Maya once again is overcome with worry... she was never able to find out what happened to her sempai. Any further thoughts on that subject, however, are diverted to the situation at hand as soon as Misato speaks...
 
Misato: Okay, so they can't hack into our systems... do you think they'll try to organize a military strike of some sort?
 
Misato is quiet for a few moments after making that statement… she recalls being shot once on SEELE's last invasion… but thanks to Shinji, she's still alive. `I don't want that to happen again…'
 
As the two Commanders speak, Misato unconscious rubs her back, right where the bullet had gone through in the last invasion attempt by SEELE. `Shinji saved me… and everyone else from that massacre… thank you…'
 
Kozo: That would be futile... they'd hit the city, but the EVA's wouldn't be damaged by such an attack... unless...
 
Gendo: They are planning to attack with EVA's and a military force...
 
Aoba: (Scratches his chin) We've managed to narrow down the list of possible places where their base must be located... somewhere in Russia or North America...
 
Hyuga: Since the U.N. couldn't find them, they must be hiding somewhere remote but in plain sight...
 
Misato: I suggest they try to trace where the explosives came from, or the money flow behind it. It could give us a clue about where these bastards are hiding...
 
Misato begins to think about the pilots… they could be vulnerable. She begins to think up a plan while the two Commanders reply to her last comment.
 
Kozo: Excellent idea, Major...
 
Gendo: Agreed.
 
Maya: (Suddenly remembering another thing that she had been meaning to ask about) What about the kids? Are they in any danger?
 
Misato nods her head at Maya, she was about to bring up that idea herself.
 
Kozo: Section 2 was mobilized as soon as the explosions began... our troops are currently guarding the three apartments the pilots are in...
 
Gendo: For the time being, I think it would be prudent to have all of them together in a secure location. Have the others moved over to Major Katsuragi's apartment at 0700 tomorrow- with the use of decoys, we can mask the true movement of the others and get them together safely. I have already made the necessary arraignments to set up decoy apartments as well…
 
Kozo: (Nods his head) I agree with Ikari's plan... (Looks at Misato) Do you think you could handle a few extra guests for a couple of days?
 
Misato: Sure... especially if it's for their safety, I don't mind at all. Anything to keep them safe… (Yawns) Maya, could you pass me some more coffee?
 
Maya: Sure... (Pours some coffee into a cup and passes it over to the grateful Misato)
 
Misato: Thanks... (Sips at the coffee) So, it seems like SEELE wants to scout us out... but we're the ones at a disadvantage... they know where we are, but we have no definite base of operations for them... (Sighs aloud)
 
Aoba: (Trying to cheer Misato up a little) Yeah... there's still a lot of area to search, but at least we're getting closer all the time...
 
Hyuga: (Following Aoba's lead) Yeah, don't worry Major, we'll find `em...
 
Commander Ikari gets a phone call a few moments later and then relays the new information to his staff- there is now no doubt about it... this attack was organized by SEELE. Commanders Ikari and Fuyutski take this opportunity to discuss preliminary attack strategies against SEELE and also the more critical need for tighter defenses around Tokyo-3. A alternate escape plan is discussed in private between Commanders Ikari, Fuyutski, and Major Katsuragi… details will be finalized during the next meeting at NERV, which is 7 AM the next day.
 
About two in the morning, the staff is finally released to head on home... guards escort them back to their respective residences. A very tired Misato opens up her front door and slowly walks down the hallway. Her stomach begins to rumble, reminding her that she's hungry and not to fall asleep without eating. Misato quietly heads into the kitchen and starts sifting through the various things in the refrigerator in an attempt to find something quick and easy to make. After finding some suitable leftovers, she pops them in the microwave and waits...
 
To pass some time, Misato heads over into the front room to watch some TV... and nearly stumbles over the sleeping children...
 
Misato: (Softly to herself) I didn't know they were here... it looks like Asuka and Rei are really comfortable next to Shinji... (Chuckles) It's nice to see him be there for these two... that explosion scared me, too...
 
A “Ping” is heard a moment later, indicating that the food is ready. Misato quietly heads back into the kitchen, turns on the light to a very low level, and quickly eats up her food. Normally she would have a beer or some other drink... but the need for sleep had once again manifested itself in her mind. She takes off her red jacket, hangs it up in the closet, and then trudges into her room. Kaji is fast asleep in bed and mumbling something...
 
Misato: I hope he's dreaming of me...
 
Kaji mumbles Misato's name several times a moment later and she looks down at the sleeping spy. With a smile forming on her face, she begins to undress and is soon under the covers with her husband to be. She snuggles next to him and makes herself comfortable.
 
Misato: Kaji... I know you're sleeping, but I just wanted to say “Thanks” for taking care of the kids tonight...
 
Kaji: (Opening his eyes) You're welcome.
 
Misato: Hey! I thought you were asleep!
 
Kaji: I was... until I felt your naked breasts rubbing against me...
 
Misato: (Playfully sticks out her tongue) I didn't feel like wearing anything but my panties... I didn't realize that you were so sensitive to my touch...
 
Kaji: But I am... (Caresses Misato's hair) I know you're tired, so I'm not gonna start anything...
 
Misato: Tomorrow, okay? (Winks)
 
Kaji: (Kisses Misato) Sounds like a plan to me. Tell me about what happened in the morning... we both need some rest...
 
Misato: Sure thing... (Grabs her alarm clock and sets it for 7 AM)
 
Kaji: (Curious) What's with the alarm clock?
 
Misato: Oh... I haven't told you yet. For the next three days at least, the other pilots will be living here with us. Section 2 will be moving them over here covertly later this morning. Someone has to be up...
 
Kaji: (Sleepily) Keep everybody together... good idea...
 
Misato: Yeah... (Yawns) Good night Kaji...
 
Kaji: Good night...
 
Kaji and Misato lie down and once again Misato snuggles her body against Kaji. Kaji wraps an arm around her and Misato is soon fast asleep. Kaji is glad that he can be a source of comfort for her in this very troublesome time... he is soon asleep as well.
 
The droning of her alarm clock awakens Misato. She groggily gets out of bed, dons her silk nightgown, and yawns aloud. Before leaving her room, she notices a familiar odor wafting through the air... `I wonder who's cooking?'
 
To satisfy her curiosity and her own hunger, which is starting to be triggered by the wonderful smells in the air, Misato heads into the kitchen and is surprised to find both Asuka and Rei working on breakfast. She was expecting Shinji to be the one who was cooking... and it shows on her face, which is sporting a slightly confused expression. Rei notices Misato first and cheerfully gives her a “Good morning Mom”...
 
Misato: (Yawns) Good morning, Rei, Asuka...
 
Asuka: (Stopping her cooking for a moment to acknowledge Misato) Morning...
 
Misato: (Peering over the girls' shoulders) Sooo... what're you guys making this morning?
 
Asuka: A basic American style breakfast with a few extras... Rei and I wanted to make something for Shinji and Kaji, since they watched over us last night...
 
Misato is very impressed by the reason that Asuka gives her. She heads into the fridge and grabs a beer. Both teens sigh when they hear the familiar popping of the beer tab and Misato's trademark reaction to having her first beer of the day. Misato notices the look on the girls' faces and immediately presents a defense...
 
Misato: Hey, I had a long night... and I've been really stressed out lately...
 
Asuka: (Presenting a witty response) You keep telling yourself that... but it could be the alcohol talking...
 
Rei looks over at Asuka and Misato narrows her eyes. `That girl- sometimes she's too smart for her own good... but I know she wasn't being mean...' Misato thought as she took a sip of beer.
 
Before Misato can say anything back to Asuka, a groggy Shinji walks into the room. Asuka turns off the heat on the stove and rushes up to him...
 
Asuka: (Very sweetly) `Morning, Shin-chan...
 
Shinji: `Morning, Asuka... (Yawns)
 
Asuka: Let's put that mouth of yours to better use... (Winks)
 
Shinji: (Confused) Huh?
 
Asuka swiftly moves in and plants a deep, passionate kiss on her boyfriend's lips. After the kiss, Shinji's face turns red and he looks around the room. Rei is staring at him and Misato is giving him a “thumbs up”...
 
Asuka: You see, Rei, that's how you say good morning to your boyfriend...
 
Rei: I see... I will have to remember that for the next time I see Ken-kun...
 
Misato: (To herself) That could be sooner then you think, Rei... Asuka seems to have as much of an influence on Rei as I do... that could be good and bad...
 
Shinji starts to help the girls out with breakfast and as the meal nears its completion, Misato wakes up Kaji and the two head into the kitchen. Asuka, Shinji, and Rei are already sitting at the table, patiently waiting for them to arrive...
 
Asuka: Breakfast is served! Come on, sit down...
 
Kaji and Misato sit down and then start to dig into the wonderful breakfast that the kids have made... toast, bacon, sausage, orange juice, pancakes, real maple syrup... along with all the condiments that accompany these...
 
Kaji: (Taking a bite of the pancakes) Mmm... nice and fluffy... and is this real maple syrup?
 
Asuka: Of course... working for NERV has some perks... and Misato never looks at the grocery bill, anyways...
 
Misato: Hey!
 
Rei: Mom, do you like the pancakes?
 
Misato: (Cuts some of the pancakes up and takes a bite) Mmm... very nice. Who made the pancakes?
 
Rei blushes slightly before responding. “Shinji and I worked on them together...”
 
Kaji: Very good, Shinji. Teaching Rei how to cook is something that a loving brother would do...
 
Shinji: (Blushes slightly) Umm, yeah...
 
Asuka: Shinji, you're the best! (Winks at Shinji, causing him to become more embarrassed)
 
Misato giggles and then reaches for a piece of toast. `There's never a dull moment around here... and it's about to get even more exciting...'
 
Misato: By the way... we're gonna have some visitors soon...
 
The three teens turn and look at Misato and wait for her to continue. Visitors are the last thing the three teens are expecting, especially this early in the morning...
 
Asuka: Soo... who's coming by?
 
Misato: Toji, Kensuke... (Asuka sighs aloud, Rei gets excited at the mere mention of Kensuke's name)... and Hikari...
 
Asuka: Yeah! That's more like it!
 
Shinji: Umm, Misato, why are they coming over this morning?
 
Misato: Well, your father wanted all of the pilots together in one place, so he's using decoys to mask the movement of the others over here... they should be here any minute...
 
Rei: How long will they be staying at the apartment?
 
Misato: Hmm... at least for a couple days... I'm not sure...
 
Shinji: Umm... where's everyone gonna sleep?
 
Misato: Well, since you sleep with Asuka every night anyways...
 
Asuka: (Proudly) Very true, I love being with my Shin-chan...
 
Shinji goes red with embarrassment again and Kaji chuckles at the situation.
 
Misato: As I was saying, we need places for the others to sleep. I was going to put Toji and Kensuke in Shinji's room and Hikari will stay with Rei.
 
Shinji: Sure, that's fine...
 
Rei nods her head and then returns to eating. `Today will be fun... I enjoyed working with Asuka and Shinji on breakfast, and now Ken-kun is coming over for an extended period...'
 
Conversation goes back and forth on various topics as breakfast goes on. After it's finished, Asuka and Shinji work on the dishes while Misato, Kaji, and Rei get the rooms set up. The front doorbell rings a short while later and Misato answers it. She's greeted by three Section 2 personnel and three nervous teens.
 
Misato: Come on in, kids. (Salutes the personnel) Thank you for bringing them over safely.
 
Section 2 Officer: No problem, Major. Just doing our job. (Salutes her back) Have a good day...
 
The officer turns around and then leaves, his two fellow officers follow close behind. Rei walks up the hallway and right towards a nervous Kensuke.
 
Kensuke: H-hi Rei...
 
Rei says nothing and wraps him in her arms. After a moment of staring into his eyes, she plants a very passionate kiss on his lips. Toji and Hikari's eyebrows go up as they witness this... Misato knows that Rei was just following Asuka's lead.
 
Kensuke: (After the kiss ends) Wow... that's one way to greet me...
 
Rei: It is a new greeting I learned about today... I am happy to see you, Ken-kun... (Smiles)
 
At the sight of his girlfriend smiling, Kensuke feels very warm inside.
 
Toji: Awww!
 
Hikari: Looks like Rei's becoming more comfortable with you, Kensuke... (Gently elbows Kensuke) Make sure you don't take advantage of that, okay?
 
Kensuke: Yeah...
 
Misato: I hate to break up this tender moment, but why don't you guys drop off your stuff. Hikari, you'll be staying with Rei in her room. Toji and Kensuke, you get Shinji's room.
 
Hikari: Sounds good to me...
 
Toji: Where's Shinji sleeping?
 
Misato: (Matter-of-factly) With Asuka, of course...
 
Asuka: (Yelling down the hallway) Who else was he gonna sleep with… Misato? (Shinji turns very red at the thought)
 
Misato: I heard that!
 
Hikari: Rei, why don't you show me where you want me to put my belongings...
 
Rei: Sure, right this way...
 
Rei and Hikari head over to Rei's room while Misato leads the two boys down the hallway to Shinji's room. Both drop off their stuff and return to the living room to find that Rei and Hikari have also returned. Misato decides to hold a quick briefing for everyone...
 
Misato: Okay, listen up everyone! Since that bombing, security has been doubled around here and around the whole city in general. You guys will be staying with me indefinitely... I heard three days, but that could change. I think Commander Ikari wants to make sure that new defensive programs and other safeguards are in place for you guys before letting you go back to school or anywhere else...
 
Asuka: (Sarcastically) Sooo, that means we can't leave the apartment, right?
 
Misato: You got it! It's a good thing you're already friends... it may be a while...
 
Shinji: What about school?
 
Misato: Already taken care of. (Winks) I'm sure you guys won't mind missing some classes...
 
Toji: Hell no!
 
Kensuke: I agree with Toji here...
 
Hikari thinks that it's a bad thing to miss school but decides not to speak that thought aloud… she knows that the others aren't as committed to school as she is.
 
Kaji: That also means no funny business... (Looks at Shinji and Asuka)
 
Asuka: (Angry) Hey! Why are you looking at me like that?
 
Kaji: (Whistles softly to himself) Oh, no particular reason...
 
Misato: Kaji will be here, so he'll make sure nobody gets too friendly... I'll be the only one who can leave unless it's an emergency...
 
Shinji: What about food? We don't have much left in the fridge or in the cabinets...
 
Misato: Well, you guys make up a shopping list and I'll do a run for you later this morning. Any other questions?
 
Hikari: Did they find the people who caused those bombings?
 
Misato: Yeah... the people responsible committed suicide by blowing themselves up...
 
Hikari: (Very softly, she is shocked by what Misato just said) Oh...
 
Kensuke: Damn! Suicide bombers... sounds like terrorists to me.
 
Toji: They should find those people and get `em back for doing that!
 
Misato: That's exactly what we're gonna do... all the evidence points to SEELE as the ones who did this... the very people who destroyed the city with those MP- Eva's last year- and the ones we're supposed to stop before they do something drastic.
 
Shinji: (Confidently) I'm sure we'll find them...
 
Misato: (Yawns) Anyways, I'm going back to bed. I didn't get home until 2:30 this morning and I'm still tired. After I get up, I'll make that shopping trip that I promised...
 
Misato groggily heads over to her room, leaning on Kaji the whole way to avoid falling to the ground. The two disappear into Misato's room and the teens talk amongst themselves...
 
Asuka: It's nice to be off from school… but to be stuck in this apartment for who knows how long… this sucks!
 
Hikari: (Trying to calm her friend down) Oh, come on Asuka… at least you'll be with your friends…
 
Asuka: I suppose…
 
Rei: I am looking forward to this time together…
 
Asuka: (Nudges Rei) You mean time with Kensuke, don't you?
 
Rei and Kensuke both blush and Hikari looks sternly at her friend.
 
Hikari: Stop that, Asuka… you're embarrassing them. Besides, I bet you wanna spend more time with Shinji, don't you?
 
Asuka: (Matter of factly) Of course. And Toji here is dying for more time with you…
 
Toji: (Nods his head) Yep…
 
Hikari: (Blushes slightly) I'm sure he is…
 
Shinji: Well, umm… what do you guys want to do now?
 
Asuka: I know! I can dig out some of the old board games that Misato has… how about some Monopoly?
 
Kensuke: I haven't played that in ages…
 
Rei: I am unfamiliar with that game… (Looks intently at Kensuke) Would you show me how to play, Ken-kun?
 
Kensuke: Umm… sure Rei…
 
Asuka: I'll be right back!
 
Asuka leaves for a moment and returns with the game. She sets it up and begins to pass out the money. As one would expect, the couples sit next to each other. When it comes time to pick out the pieces, Rei studies them for a moment before picking out the thimble.
 
Kensuke: Interesting choice, Rei.
 
Rei: For some reason, it appealed to me…
 
Asuka: I think I'll be the dog…
 
Toji: Good choice, Asuka… (Chuckles)
 
Shinji: (Sarcastically) Way to go for the obvious one, Toji.
 
Both Asuka and Hikari are shocked… Shinji just slammed Toji without giving it a second thought or waiting for Asuka to say something. Kensuke laughs at Toji's predicament… which earns him a punch in the shoulder.
 
Asuka: Thank you, Shin-chan…
 
The others pick their game pieces and the game begins. It lasts several hours, mostly due to the fact that some of them haven't played it before coupled with the friendly exchange of comments between the boys. Near the end of the game, it's Kensuke versus Rei. All of the others had gone bankrupt on Kensuke or Rei … it comes down to the roll of the dice to decide who wins.
 
On Rei's turn, she rolls an 8 and moves from Boardwalk (Which she owns) over to Chance. After getting her $200 for passing GO, she picks up a chance card.
 
Shinji: What does it say?
 
Rei: (Sighs aloud) Advance to Illinois Avenue… (Rei moves her piece over to the property in question)
 
Kensuke: (Happily as Rei gives him the rent due) Yes! That gives me some money to hang in there…
 
Asuka: (Shakes her head) It's still not enough… the red properties over there are the only ones with any buildings or hotels on it… if you land on Boardwalk or Park Place, your out. Face it, Rei won this game…
 
Kensuke: I'm not giving up… the game's not over…
 
Asuka: It can be on this roll…
 
Shinji: (Places a hand on her shoulder) Asuka, there's no need to get angry… I know you love the red properties…
 
Asuka: Yeah, and I had to give them up when I went bankrupt on his properties…
 
Hikari: Who knew Kensuke was so good?
 
Toji: Or that Rei was such a quick learner…
 
Rei: I am waiting for your roll… I believe this roll may end the game if you land on my property…
 
Kensuke: All right, here goes nothing! Let's see if I get one more chance…
 
All eyes in the room are on Kensuke as he rolls the dice. They tumble across the board and everyone holds their breath. Kensuke is currently on Marvin Gardens, which he owns. Kensuke's eyes bug out as he stares at the final results of the roll.
 
Kensuke: (Loudly) I don't believe it! What the…
 
Rei: I believe that is a 10… (Counts out the spaces on the board and points at Kensuke's final destination) Boardwalk. You owe me $2,000…
 
Toji and Asuka laugh at Kensuke's predicament… even Shinji and Hikari cannot help but chuckle at the results. Kensuke got the worst possible roll… and that just caused him the game.
 
Kensuke: (Sighs) You win Rei…
 
Rei gently takes Kensuke's hand and holds it.
 
Rei: (Trying to reassure her boyfriend) That was a wonderful game, Ken-kun… I had fun…
 
Kensuke: (Calms down) Oh yeah… m-me too. Next time, I'll try to get the dark blue properties first…

Rei: You can try, Ken-kun…
 
Toji: (Catching everyone's attention) Okay… now what do we do?
 
Kensuke: Well, I brought some anime DVD's… you guys wanna watch something?
 
Shinji: (Rubbing his stomach) Let's get something to eat first…
 
Asuka: Yeah, I'm starving!
 
All six teens start looking through the cabinets and the fridge and decide to make some cucumber sandwiches. As the group makes a late lunch, Asuka notices something out of place in the kitchen.
 
Asuka: (To herself) Hmm… that could be fun…
 
A few minutes later, lunch is ready and the six sit down at the table and begin to eat. Shinji notices a grin on Asuka's face and knows that she's up to something. Taking a deep breath, he slowly moves his left hand and then puts it in on her leg in an effort to let her know that she's being too obvious with that grin…
 
Asuka feels Shinji's hand on her leg and blushes slightly. `He is getting a little bolder… but I think I know what he's trying to say…'
 
Asuka turns and whispers in Shinji's ear. “I know… but just wait and see… it'll be funny…”
 
The other four teens at the table watch what's going on and know that one or both of them are up to something…
 
Toji finishes first and takes his plate over to the sink. Hikari is the next one to finish, she does the same thing and then both sit back down at the table.
 
Hikari: (Shyly) Maybe we could do some dancing or something…
 
Asuka's grin gets even bigger… she now has the perfect set up for her plan…
 
Asuka: You know what, I was thinking the same thing. Hikari… (Asuka stands up) I was thinking of playing something off of this CD… (Grabs the CD she had noticed earlier)
 
Toji: (Curious) And what CD is that?
 
Rei: (Catching a glimpse of the back of the CD) That's one of mom's CD's…
 
Shinji: (Instantly knowing what CD that must be) Asuka!
 
Asuka: Well, since Misato is sleeping… and these two want to dance… let's play something from it! (Looks at Shinji) You don't wanna dance with me?
 
Shinji: (Blushing) Umm… that's not it… it's just that those songs are…
 
Toji grabs the CD from Asuka's hands and begins to look at the track listing on the back. His eyebrows begin to go up… and then Hikari takes a look. Her face becomes redder with each passing moment…
 
Hikari: (Very softly) This is definitely one of Misato's CD's…
 
Asuka: Sooo… who wants to dance?
 
Kensuke: (Boldy raises his hand) I do… but it depends on the song… Rei told me about that song collection before. Some of those songs are for… (Turns red and stops speaking)
 
Asuka: Fine, fine… I'll pick something that sounds like a slow dance song… geez… (Shrugs her shoulders)
 
Asuka scans the titles of the songs on the “Pure Sin Volume I and II” CD and picks a song called “Anticipation” to play…
 
Asuka: Found one… so let's get started…
 
As Asuka walks over to get the music started, Rei and Kensuke nervously get up and then get into a slow dance position. With a knowing look, both acknowledge to the other that they want to do more…
 
Shinji walks over to Asuka and looks at her intently. Despite her choice in music at the moment, he doesn't want to miss a chance to hold her warm body close to his. Asuka turns around and kisses Shinji on the cheek and then looks over at the kitchen table… Hikari and Toji are still sitting there, red as tomatoes…
 
Asuka: Oh, come on… don't chicken out. (Points at Rei and Kensuke) Even those two are ready to dance…
 
Toji: All right… go ahead. (Sighs)
 
Asuka hits play and then waits for the music to start. As soon as it does, the couples begin to dance and think about what the song is saying.
 
Anticipation by the Bar Kays
 
 
Tonight the need for love is here between us
And the desire for each other we cannot hide
`Cause anxiously we wait to feel the passion
That the hunger in our eyes can't disguise
So girl let's not waste another moment
Trying to decide right or wrong
Just come and hold me close to your body
And let's release the love we've been holding back so long
I'm trying so hard to be patient
But when you're near me I lose control
There is no time for hesitation
And if you don't give your love to me I'm gonna explode from…
 
Anticipation… anticipating your every move
Anticipation… anticipating what we're gonna do
 
(Musical interlude)
 
During the interlude, Asuka whispers to Shinji…
 
Asuka: I'm always anticipating being with you, Shin-chan…
 
Shinji blushes.
 
(Don't make me wait)
 
(Musical interlude)
 
So girl let's put an end to all this waiting
And let the power of our desires tonight unfold
No matter how hard we try to fight it
When the need arises, baby, it's time to let go
I'm trying so hard to be patient
But when you're near me I lose control
And there is no time for hesitation
And if you don't give your love to me I'm gonna explode from…
 
Anticipation… anticipating your every move
Anticipation… anticipating what we're gonna do
 
(Musical interlude)
 
Kensuke decides to try and speak to Rei as the interlude plays.
 
Kensuke: (Nervously) Rei, umm… I like…
 
Rei: (Softly) Yes… I anticipate being with you as well…

Rei feels Kensuke's hands move down onto her hips as the music continues.
 
(Anyway, yeah…)
 
(Jazzy musical interlude with trombone)
 
(Every breath you take…)
 
Asuka continues to hold onto Shinji even as the song ends. She turns her head and sees a nervous Kensuke out of the corner of her eye. `Looks like Rei isn't letting go…'
 
Toji: (Softly) Hey… Hikari…
 
Hikari: Huh? Oh, yeah, the songs done… (Blushes)
 
Over in Misato's room, Kaji steps back from the door and looks at his sleeping wife to be…
 
Kaji: She'll probably sleep all day… I'd better go and see what's going on in there- it sounds like someone played a song from our “special” CD…
 
Asuka hears a door open in the distance and turns her head in that direction…
 
Kaji walks into the front room and takes a quick look at the six teens…
 
Kaji: Slow dancing, eh?
 
Asuka: Yeah… we gotta do something if we're gonna be cooped up here for who knows how long…
 
Kaji: Good idea… but that sounded like a song from a certain CD…
 
Everyone in the room turns and looks at Asuka… which annoys her greatly.
 
Asuka: (Annoyed) It's not my fault you left that CD out… hmmph. Besides, I didn't play anything too bad… that song was actually kinda nice… (Changes mood to happy) Right, Shin-chan?
 
Shinji: (Blushes slightly) Yeah… umm… it was nice…
 
Kaji: Asuka, I'm not angry… I just want to make sure you guys don't go overboard. Anyways, did you guys make a grocery list? I'm sure Misato will make a run as soon as she gets up…
 
Kensuke: No, we didn't do that yet…
 
Kaji: Well, why don't we all take a few minutes and get that done…
 
The six teens walk over to the kitchen table while Kaji gets a piece of paper and a pen. He starts to jot down some food items that he thinks will be needed and then asks each one of the kids what they would like to have… about five minutes later, Kaji looks over the finished list.
 
Kaji: Well, I hope that Misato can fit all of that into the car… (Chuckles)
 
Toji: Well, there's eight of us and da penguin, so we need a lotta food…
 
Misato walks into the kitchen a moment later, full dressed and ready for action…
 
Misato: All right, where's my grocery list?
 
Kaji: Here you go, my love… (Hands Misato the list) Have fun…
 
Misato takes a look at the list and then blankly looks around at the others. `They want all of this? I swear I'll be buying out half of the damn grocery store…'
 
Misato puts on a smile and then speaks again.
 
Misato: I'll be back guys… (To herself) Someday…
 
With that, Misato walks out of the room and heads out of the apartment. Kaji wipes his brow… he was afraid that Misato would have blown her top about that large grocery list…
 
Rei: It appears that mom will not be back for a while…
 
Kensuke: You can say that again, poor woman has to pick up enough food for an army…
 
Shinji: All right, what do you guys want to do now?
 
Kaji: (Stretches his arms towards the ceiling) Why don't we all play some Bomberman together on the NSS system? We can switch off between rounds… and I haven't played in a while…
 
Toji: Now there's a plan…
 
Shinji and Asuka hook up the system and the seven people in the apartment take turns playing various games for a few hours. Dinnertime soon approaches and right before comments are made about the time, Misato returns from her shopping trip. A large pile of groceries stand by the apartment door… `a little “convincing” went a long way with Section 2…' Misato thinks to herself.
 
With some assistance, all of the food is quickly brought inside the apartment and put away… Asuka cannot help but make a few comments as this is going on…
 
Asuka: So, how much all of this run yah?
 
Misato: To be honest, I stopped looking at the prices about halfway through… thank goodness for the NERV account that we have.
 
Asuka: Yeah, no kidding…
 
After everything is put away, both the fridge and freezer are full to capacity, as are all of the cupboards. Since Misato did all of the shopping, Hikari suggests that she relax and let everybody else make dinner.
 
Misato: Thanks, I really appreciate it… (Goes into the fridge and grabs a beer) I certainly earned this one… (Opens the beer and does her trademark `yell' of satisfaction) Good stuff!
 
Kaji: You look a little tense… (Places his hands on Misato's shoulders)… do you mind if I rub your shoulders?
 
Misato: No… go right ahead… (Misato starts to moan as Kaji puts his hands to work) Mmm… that feels good…
 
The six teens try to focus on dinner and not the sounds that Misato is making. Hikari and Shinji take charge of dinner and delegate tasks out to the others. Each couple enjoy working with the other partner on a specific dish. When dinner is ready, Misato and Kaji set up the table and bring out some extra chairs…
 
Misato: (Looking at the spread of food on the dinner table) I'm impressed… that looks good and smells good, too. I don't know if I can handle eating this good for a week or however long you guys are here…
 
As the group start to dig into their dinner, Hikari asks a question.
 
Hikari: (Curious about what Misato meant) Why do you say that, Misato?
 
Misato: (Giggles) I'd probably gain some weight… and I don't wanna do that…
 
Kaji turns and whispers in Misato's ear…
 
Kaji: I'll help you burn off some calories later, okay?
Misato elbows Kaji and the six teens stop eating and stare at the couple.
 
Misato: (Narrows her eyes) What?
 
Several responses of “nothing” are heard a moment later, dinner resumes as normal. Shinji tries to break the “ice” by starting a conversation… and it works. Dinner passes by pleasantly and then Misato turns on the news… some of what is heard on the TV grabs everyone's attention…
 
Kensuke: More suicide bombings? It could be SEELE…
 
Misato: Could be… maybe they're trying to set something up and try a takeover of some governments… but from where?
 
Toji: We need to find dem bastards before they do anymore damage… I wouldn't mind doing some more of those battle sims if we could get at `em quicker…

Hikari: (Very impressed) Toji… (Takes his hand)
 
Misato: We're still working on that part… though the areas left to search are getting smaller and smaller each day…
 
Kensuke: When we find them, we're gonna smash `em, right Rei? (Looks hopefully at Rei)
 
Rei: Yes… and I will be by your side… (Gently squeezes Kensuke's hand)
 
Shinji: (To Asuka) Looks like they're ready to fight…
 
Asuka: (Softly to Shinji) I know I am… they almost… killed me… (Her voice trails off and she almost begins to cry)
 
Shinji takes Asuka's hand and she stands up and rushes into his arms. The others watch as Shinji leads her out of the room and into his bedroom…
 
Kensuke: I wonder what happened?
 
Misato has a nagging suspicion, but Rei knows in her heart what probably triggered Asuka's departure. She decides to ask Misato a very important question…
 
Rei: Mom… do you think it would be… okay… to tell Ken-kun and the others about what happened…
 
Misato looks over at her daughter and then at Kaji… and then makes her decision.
 
Misato: I think they should know… especially since they're involved in fighting SEELE.
 
Kensuke: (Confused) Rei, what are you talking about?
 
Toji: Yeah, what do you mean by that?
 
Hikari: Does it have anything to do with that attack last November?
 
Misato nods her head. “Yes, it does… maybe you guys should grab something to drink before I start…”
 
Toji, Hikari, and Kensuke get a soda from the fridge and then sit back down at the table, not knowing what to expect to hear next. Kaji decides to speak up first and says something shocking…
 
Kaji: Before they tell you about what happened, I would just like to point out that I was killed right before that failed SEELE invasion…
 
Hikari: (Not believing what she just heard) You were… dead?
 
Kensuke: But you're right here in front of us… I know you weren't around for a while… but I thought you were on some mission or something…
 
Toji: So you're saying you came back to life… like some kinda resurrection or something…
 
Kaji: Yes… and I`m not the only one that was killed last year… (Looks at Misato)
 
Kensuke: Wait a second… Misato was killed? When did that happen?
 
Misato pauses to recall some of the horrible memories from that day… Kaji holds her hand to let her know that it's okay…
 
Misato: (Speaking very emotionally) I was… shot… trying to protect Shinji and get him to his EVA… most of those memories of that day, I don't wanna remember. That attack wasn't an infiltration and seizure... it was a massacre... all the pilots as well as everyone that worked at NERV... men, women… everyone was to be killed. 
 
The room is silent as Misato starts to break down and cry… Kaji explains that all of the files about what happened on that day were sealed and stored away… the general public had no idea about what was going on down in the Geofront. Rei begins to explain what happened after that point… Third Impact… the world that resulted… and how she and Shinji brought back the current world.
 
While Rei is telling her story to the others, Shinji is comforting Asuka in his room. Shinji is holding her tight as she cries into his chest…
 
Asuka: Whenever I think about that day… I'm always grateful that we got a second chance… being with you on that messed up world would have been…
 
Shinji: (Looking into Asuka's tear-filled eyes) Asuka… I'm always here for you… no matter what happens, I'll stay with you. I love you…
 
Asuka places a kiss on Shinji's cheek. “Thank you Shin-chan… I love you too…”
 
Shinji feels Asuka press her body against him even more… but instead of getting nervous, he realizes that she needs comfort right now- and he's the only one that can provide that. Lips soon meet and the couple is rolling around on the bed, fully focused on expressing their affections for each other… until a sudden slamming noise is heard. Both teens stop and listen… the string of words that they hear isn't pretty…
 
Toji: (Still shocked and horrified about what he just heard) Damn bastards! They did all that? And for what, this Third Impact…?
 
Hikari: I still can't believe that some group would go to such lengths to do this…
 
Kensuke: No wonder Shinji and Asuka were different after that happened… I feel bad about what I did to Asuka…
 
Rei: (Takes Kensuke's hand) It was a difficult time for all of us… and my brother and Asuka still had not gotten use to their new gifts… though your actions did not have all negative results…
 
Kensuke: Huh? What do you mean?
 
Toji: Duh! You ended up with Rei because she felt sorry for you… geez, are you stupid?
 
Kensuke: Hey!
 
Misato: (Trying to keep the peace) Now, now… let's not fight…
 
Shinji and Asuka return to the kitchen a few moments later… and are met with words of praise…
 
Hikari: I just want to thank you two… for saving us all…
 
Toji: Yeah, without you two none of us would be around right now…
 
Kensuke: You two are the best EVA pilots out there…
 
Asuka and Shinji blush as a result of all of the sudden attention that seems to be placed on them. Misato decides to save them from more embarrassment by starting up the conversation again. One hour goes by before the conversation ends and Misato goes and takes a shower. The others get themselves set up for bed, digging out extra pillows and blankets. About an hour later, the last of the six teens finishes with their shower and they meet in the front room…
 
Asuka: Well, I'm going to bed… good night everybody… (Yawns) Shinji and I will see you guys in the morning…
 
Shinji: (Blushes) Asuka! Well, umm… see you guys in the morning…
 
Asuka drags Shinji into her room… she's tired and wants to worry about one thing… well actually two things- Sleep and Shinji. Shinji soon finds out why she was so eager to go to bed… her pent up emotions need a release and she feels like loving the man in her life. Shinji feels the same way… he knows that he wouldn't have had a real life without this wonderful woman…
 
Back in the front room, the other two couples talk for a few minutes and then get ready to split up for bed. Toji pulls Hikari into a close hug and then starts to whisper to her… while Kensuke and Rei walk away to give them some privacy…
 
Toji: I'm gonna miss you… I wish we could, umm…
 
Hikari: Toji… (Blushes) You'll see me tomorrow…
 
Toji: I know… but it's not the same. I liked it that one time we slept in this room together…
 
Hikari blushes and places a small kiss on his cheek. “I did too… but maybe… umm… another time…”
 
Toji smiles and then lets Hikari out of the hug. While the conversation was going on in the front room, Kensuke and Rei were also talking to each other down the hallway…
 
Kensuke: (Taking a good look at Rei's pajamas) You look great in those…
 
Rei: (Blushes) Thank you… this my favorite night outfit… someone special bought me this, remember? (Rests her head on his chest)
 
Kensuke: (Nervously) Oh, yeah… someone special… (Gently rubs his hands back and forth across the soft fabric of the pajamas on her back)
 
A few moments later, Hikari walks down the hallway and notices what Kensuke and Rei are doing. `Those two make such a cute couple… and I can see how much Rei has changed since 3rd Impact…'
 
Hikari: (Jokingly) Getting your good night hug in Rei?
 
Kensuke breaks the hug and Rei turns around. “Yes, I was… but I believe that there is another thing that I must do before going to bed…”
 
Before Kensuke or Hikari can ask what that is, Rei plants a passionate kiss on Kensuke's lips…
 
Rei: Good night, Ken-kun…
 
Hikari says good night and the two girls head to Rei's room. Kensuke slowly walks down the hallway and heads into Shinji's room… where Toji is already passed out. Kensuke climbs into the bed and falls asleep thinking about Rei…
 
Over in Rei's room, Hikari and Rei engage in some “girl” talk…
 
Hikari: Well, it looks like you and Kensuke are getting pretty close there…

Rei: Yes… and I know he cares for me just as much.
 
Hikari: That's sweet of you to say… he really is a nice guy. I think being with you has changed him for the better.
 
Rei nods her head. “Yes… and I think that is the case for Toji as well…”
 
Hikari: (Chuckles) Well, I'm still working on him… but he has this caring, compassionate side that I totally adore. Whenever he's romantic, I just want to… (Blushes and stops speaking)
 
Rei: Engage in intimate activities with him?
 
Hikari blushes from ear to ear… Rei's bluntness has caught her off guard. All she can do is slowly nod her head…
 
Rei: Do not be embarrassed… I have strong feelings about my boyfriend as well… but they are still new to me…
 
Hikari: Umm… yeah… if you want to talk about anything, just ask me…

Rei: I will keep that in mind… and I extend the same offer to you.
 
Hikari: Thanks, Rei. Now that I think about it… Toji said his artificial arm and leg felt different after that day last year… could he be back to normal?
 
Rei: I do not know… but before this bombing occurred, all of the pilots were going to have an examination on Friday.
 
Hikari: Well, I'm sure they'll still need to do that… but I could swear that he doesn't have artificial limbs anymore. The way he holds me, touches me… it just feels so real…
 
Rei: (Smiles) If that is the case… then you may be right…
 
Hikari: (Sighs) I hope so… he's been through a lot… and so have you, Shinji, and Asuka…
 
Rei: Yes… (Yawns)
 
Hikari: Looks like you're getting tired… maybe we should go to bed now…
 
Rei: Okay… and thank you for talking with me, Hikari…
 
Hikari: Anytime Rei, anytime…
 
Rei turns off the lamp that had been providing the only light in the room and then says goodnight. Hikari says the same and then both girls fall asleep…
 
A new day soon dawns…
 
 
 
The original chapter would have been more then twice as long, but I decided to cut it here. The next chapter has so much in it, it may have to be split as well. Look for a new chapter up soon, hopefully near Labor Day. Peace out until then!