Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ A Second Chance ❯ Starting My New Life ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

As I opened my eyes, I let out a little yip on instinct. Wait, I don't yip when I wake up.
“Ah! It wasn't a dream!” I yelled. I couldn't see, everything was black and white. So this was what it was like to be a dog.
“What's wrong with her?” I heard a female voice ask.
“I don't know, maybe its just shock for her that she isn't with her mother, poor thing.” Answered another female. Who were these people? What were they going to do to me? And who was my mother? I looked around, and I flipped over. I searched for my mother, and finally saw her. She was in a cage, whining at the vets that were handling me. I felt a sharp pain in my back, and howled in fright. I turned on the spot with the swiftness and agility of a cat. I bit as hard as I could with my tiny teeth into the first female's hand. I could hear my mother howling in delight as I fought with all my might against the two women. Now it was them howling, not me. I continued to bite and kick and scratch, until I was finally free to save my mother. All those cheer-leading practices really were coming in handy, too bad I could never cheer-lead again. I ran to my mother and bit the lock. I continued to chew and bite until finally the lock was off. My mother picked me up by my scruff and carried me away.
 
When we finally got to a dirty little ally with a cardboard box and a bowl full of scraps in it, my mother put me down. She was a very beautiful dog, now that I looked at her better. She had a perfect tail, and her paws moved gracefully as she walked. She turned in her cardboard box a couple times then lay down. I ran over to her and wondered if I would ever see my old parents again. I copied my new mother and lied down next to her. I was hungry, but too tired to eat. I closed my eyes for a good nights sleep. I would stay here with my mother until I was older, then I would try to find my real parents to see if they would take me in. I f they did, then id get my old life back and id be happy again! I went to sleep, ready to dream about my new glorious future as a dog (well, sort of glorious.).
 
“Wake up little sleepy.” I heard someone say, then a loud bark brought me to my senses.
“Ah!” I yelled in a little kid's voice. “What-huh-what happened? What'd I miss?” I asked, only half awake.
“Nothing, its time for breakfast.” My new mother was very gentle, but I hadn't quite gotten used to being a dog yet. I was hungry though. I wondered what was on the menu:
Pancakes? Bacon and eggs? Sausages? I was so excited, I couldn't wait to try the restaurants food. Then I saw what was in the dish my mother was eating out of, and what was in mine. I whined at my mother, begging for some of her delicious looking bagel. I didn't want just milk!
“You wont be able to chew this, your teeth are too tiny, but here.” She ripped off a piece of soft pancake and threw it in my bowl. I ate it as if it was the first thing I had ever eaten… Oh wait! It was!
“Mmmmmmm, yummy.” I looked up at my mother and smiled a cute little dog smile. I normally really didn't like dogs, but my beautiful mother and I were the only exceptions I could have room to make. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to be a dog, I mean, it doesn't matter if I got turned into a dog or a slug! I'm still beautiful! I'm sure ill be able to get a dog boyfriend and dog friends and maybe even owners! I was sure at that time that my life would go from, good, to better.