Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ A Second Chance ❯ Selfishness ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Lets go sweaty. We need to find somewhere to go.” My mother used her usual gentle voice. But what did she mean by `go'? We couldn't possibly be leaving… She said that she trusted the head chef. That he was kind to us and that he would never hurt us. I suddenly felt a strong need to pee. I whimpered.
“Come on, you can go in the park.” She barked to make me hurry. I followed her command and ran in a lopsided way because of my bladder. I hurried along with her to the park, and recognized some people there. I looked closer to see some of my old friends. My parents. And the most perfect guy (his name is Ryan.). Ryan came to my funeral! He did care about me! I began running towards my friends and family and future boyfriend, when something caught me by the scruff. I squirmed and wiggled, trying to see them. My mother ran towards a tree and hid behind it. She dropped me in front of her with a very serious face (the closest thing to it since she's a dog.).
“You never go near unfamiliar humans! It's not safe!” my mother barked at me, and I whined.
“But I do know them!” I said without thinking. I then hiccoughed to cover up what I said and make it seem like she was hearing things… However, it didn't work.
“What? Where did you meet them? What did they do to you?” she looked at me sternly.
“Er…” I said looking around the tree, pretending to try and get a closer look at the people who had been so kind to me in the past. “Never mind. I thought I saw, the er, other chefs.”
“Hmmmm.” She looked at me as if she was looking through a microscope, trying to get a better look. “Alright, do what you need to, then we'll go back and we can chase some cats along the way.” I smiled, but on the inside I was crying. I loved cats! I couldn't possibly just go and chase those beautiful animals! No! I wouldn't! I just wouldn't! I went to the bathroom behind the tree, then checked to see if my mother was looking. She wasn't. I new that Ryan liked dogs, and he was still there with my parents. I'd go with him, and I'm sure he would take my mother too! I was across a street that seemed to go on forever. My target would probably leave soon, so I had no choice but to go straight across the road. Just one problem… The cars. How would I possibly get across such a huge street while I was so small? Well, it wouldn't hurt to die again! At least I wouldn't be a dog anymore! I took my chances and ran. I ran as fast as my little legs would carry me. A car trimmed my tail, and I heard a scream. I couldn't look back, and didn't need to. I new that it was my mother who had screamed. I heard the screech of a car and was ready to die once again, but death never came. I opened one eye, I was on the other side and Ryan was staring at me. But he wasn't smiling. He wasn't looking at me at all, but past me instead. I turned on the spot. Everything seemed to be in slow motion as I looked into the cars flying by. A car was stopped, and in front of it a human who was shaking the most horrifying sight I had ever seen.
“MOTHER!” I screamed at her. Hoping she would wake up. I didn't care about the cars, my first priority was getting to my mother. As I started running, a hand gripped around me. I looked up to see Ryan holding me. I couldn't bring myself to bite him, because he was trying to save me. He meant me no harm. I howled and squirmed. Then I felt him start running. He was running across the street, towards my mother. When he got to her, he gently placed me down beside her. I bit her ear, pulled her tail, snapped at her, I did everything she didn't want me to do. I cried, hoping to bring her back. I howled, whined, and whimpered. I just wouldn't except that she was dead. Was this what my real mother felt like? Or was this worse? I had nowhere to go now, and I had to face reality. My mother was dead, and without her, I would surely die. Was this what god had meant for me? To become a stray dog, have her mother die because of her own selfishness, and then die because she can't care for herself as a dog? No! It couldn't be! My mother wasn't really dead, just unconscious. In the middle of my thoughts, I heard a voice speak.
 
“I'll take them.”