Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ A Second Chance ❯ Third Chances Only Come Once ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“I'll take them.” It was Ryan who had spoke. If the circumstances weren't what they were, then I would have been the happiest little dog in the world. But my mother was dead, and I was hopeless. Ryan scooped me up and checked my size. He checked to see if I would fit in his pocket or not, and I did. He gently placed me in his pocket, then lifted my mother and began to walk back to my grave. The digger… person (that person who digs the holes for funerals… I forget what they're called) was still there.
“Excuse me?” Ryan called to the person. He looked up.
“What is it?” he looked tired, so I hid myself in Ryan's pocket.
“Well, I was wondering if you could dig a small hole for this dog… Right beside my friend's.” He said the word friend and looked at my grave at the same time.
“Alright, but it will cost you. I don't care how old you are, pay or no deal.”
“How's 70 dollars? That's all I have.” Ryan looked hopeful, and so did I. The hole digger looked at my mother, then noticed me. His face went from mean and mangled, to sad and sympathetic.
“Alright, is that puppy an orphan now?” You just noticed? I thought to myself. It wasn't like anyone could hear me anyway. Ryan nodded.
“I'm taking her. It will be nice to have someone else with me who's lost a loved-one.” Ryan said this sadly, but what he didn't know was that the one he lost was also the one he was taking in. “ So when will the hole be ready?”
“About an hour, since this dog is pretty small.”
“Okay, I'll just go and sit on that bench over there… I need to think of a name for the puppy.” Ryan seemed to not want to wait that long. I guess he was almost as un-hopeful as I was. I didn't even care if I got a stupid name like Princess or Skippy or something.
“How about Krissy?” a voice from above asked. God? I thought to myself. No, it couldn't be. And it wasn't. It was Ryan. “Yeah, I know that you probably aren't even listening. I'm just babbling `cause, I don't know, just `cause. I bet you're really depressed, too.” When I finally looked up to show that I was listening, he had tears in his eyes. I licked his hand and he chuckled (guys don't giggle). I could tell that if one more person died, so would he. Two funerals in one day for him, that had to be tough. He choked back a sob, and I gave his finger an affectionate little nibble. He looked down.
“You are the funniest little dog I have ever met. Yeah, I think I'll name you after her. I was going to ask her to the dance, but I obviously never got a chance since, well…” he obviously didn't want to say that I obviously died and that he obviously didn't get that oh, so obvious chance that was obviously out there that whole obvious week because that would be too obvious! I wanted to continue my `obvious' sentence when I heard something in my head.
 
`Do you know what I think is really obvious?'
“Huh? What? Who said that?” I wondered desperately who could mind read… or mind talk in this case, and only one person came to my mind.
`I think you already know.'
“Why did you take away my only chance at survival god?” I whined.
`I didn't.'
“Yeah, you did! You killed my mother!”
`And who rescued you?'
“That's completely off the point!”
`Is it really? I don't think so. So let's get down to true business.'
“Which is?”
`Whether or not I should give you this chance to be with the person you wanted to be with so badly you made me kill your mother. He is nice, and doesn't seem like the type to spoil you, but that may make you even more arrogant. You killed your mother, not me. You killed yourself, not me. You are at true blame here, not me. It is my job to take their living-ness, but it was your choice to do the things you did. You allowed your parents to spoil you to a crisp. You didn't learn your lesson the first time around, and ended up killing your mother, who only ever tried to protect you. You just went off and tried to get what you wanted. You even planned to use your mother to get back your old life as a spoiled brat. I didn't want you to go to hell, so I tried teaching you by taking things you desire away. First your life, and now I was forced to take away some one else's for you. I will give you one last chance, after that, I am sad to say that my power is useless to you. If you force me to take one more innocent in exchange for you to live, if that choice comes up as the only option left one more time, the Satin's power overwhelms mine and you then belong to him. This is your last chance Krissy. I'll let you go with him, but be warned and remember what I said.
 
Gods words rang in my head. I hated to admit to it, but he was right. He hadn't caused anything at all… I had. It was all my fault that I was a dog right now. It was all my fault that my mother was dead, too. I wouldn't allow anyone else to be harmed in any way because of my doing. I couldn't let myself get arrogant again. A third chance at life, and I wouldn't waste it this time. I wouldn't go to hell, and I wouldn't let Ryan take me, either. I would visit him, but I will never be able to stay with him. No matter how much I wanted it before; it was a possibility that seemed impossible now.
 
I had to leave either now or never, and never was slowly creeping its way into my brain, but I quickly shook it away. I had to leave, I wouldn't allow Ryan to be alone forever, so I would visit him, but I had to go and live the responsible life I was meant for, not the spoiled one I was used to. I bit Ryan's hand only hard enough to make him let me go. I heard him yell for me to come back, but I couldn't. I didn't look back, the temptation would have been too much and I would have stayed with him. I left, to be a stray forever more.