Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ A Second Chance ❯ Rescuer ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Becky and I woke up early the next morning. We had our double date today, but I was starting to doubt myself and my horrible misjudgment of Justin. Becky seemed more miserable than ever, and I couldn't help but to notice it.
“I'm sorry for getting you so upset like this.” She looked up at me when I said this. We normally chatted about things we find funny at breakfast, but now it seemed like this was the start of a `friend to friend' discussion.
“It's not your fault. I just get nervous around guys that I like. It's always been like that for me.” She stated sadly.
“You don't need to be nervous. You always have a way to make yourself look cute, and he noticed it.”
“Well, he didn't seem to happy that I was going on a double date with him.”
“That's because you were making him nervous because he likes you!”
As we stared into each other's eyes, we started to laugh. This was great. She was scared to go on a double date with Justin, and he was scared to go on a double date with her!
 
“Where are we going? Can't we just go and get them early?” Becky whined as we made our way along the sidewalk.
“No! We're going to see my mom's grave. She's buried beside… her uh, old owner…”
I dragged on a little at the end of what I said, and I knew it would backfire on me.
“Sup with the dragged out thought?” Becky loved that word. Sup. She said that when she said it, her tongue tingled.
“Just thinking.” I told her plainly.
“Hm…” And we were there. The deadly highway. I looked across it and swallowed. I could see my mother's grave, right beside my own. Becky began crossing when I stopped her.
“Wait! That's how my mom died. Through my carelessness! We have to wait until all the cars are gone and the way is clear!” I told her this sternly, just as my mother had told me not to go near humans we don't know. Becky knew how scared I would be to take a risk, so she just nodded her agreement. No cars were coming from either direction, so we ran for it! I shut my eyes tight. I knew Becky was enjoying the running, her eyes as wide as she could make them. I felt the curb hit my foot and I felt the air rushing by me as I fell. I prepared myself for the harsh impact, hearing Becky scream for me to watch out. Anything could have happened from there. Possibility #1: I could land kersplat right on my jaw and have permanent damage. I would be put to sleep from there. Possibility #2: I could tumble over, do a couple cartwheels over to my mother's grave, whack my head off it and die of shock. Possibility #3: I could catch myself seconds before hitting the landing or be caught by a mystery rescuer.
 
To my great thanks, Possibility #3, option two happened. I looked down to see the hard, cruel concrete centimeters from my nose. My paws were off the ground and my stomach was sucked in tight. I was lowered to the ground, when I remembered Becky. I turned my head to see her beaming. She ran over to me. By the time I turned my head to thank my rescuer, he/she was gone, a blood red rose left in their place.
“Well that gets rid of the `she' option.” Becky and I laughed at my joke. “I don't feel so much for a double date anymore. Should we cancel it?”
“Sure, we can't really risk that dude showing up and trying to rescue you from your `kidnapper'!” We laughed at her joke, and made our way to Ryan's house, where we told Andrew that Becky had caught something and we couldn't make it to the date.