Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part II: End of Innocence: Chapter Twelve: The Dam Breaks ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twelve: The Dam Breaks:

It only takes one time. Days later, Aoi called Atticus to the park where they used to hang out. She sounded so upset over the phone.

“What's wrong?” Atticus asked.

“I need to see you,” Aoi whimpered. “It's really important.”

“Okay,” he said. He found her pacing around in the thumb, biting her thumb. Atticus had a bad feeling about this.

“Aoi-chan,” he said. His girlfriend whipped around, pulling out her thumb. She looked ready to cry.

“I'm pregnant,” she said. Atticus looked like a deflated balloon.

“What?” he asked. Tears streamed down her cheeks as Aoi showed him the test. One pink plus sign. She broke down sobbing.

“Oh crap,” Atticus said.

“What am I going to do?” Aoi asked. Her boyfriend pulled her into his arms.

“It's okay,” he whispered. “It's okay.” She cried against his chest.

“I'm scared,” Aoi whispered. Atticus couldn't show how scared he was.

“Do you want to keep it?” he asked.

“I don't know,” she said. “I don't know what to do.” Atticus just let her cry against his chest.

--------

Babies complicate things. One minute, you are on your way in life. And then, boom! Here comes the baby. It's worse when you are still in high school. Lucky for Atticus and Aoi, this was senior year in the last month. They had to first tell their families.

“Atticus,” his grandma said. The boy bowed his head.

“I am so sorry,” he said. The old woman smacked him on the back of the head.

“Don't apologize to me,” she said. “How will you take responsibility?” Atticus gave her a blank stare.

“What?” he asked.

“You both made this baby,” she said. “You have to take care of it.” The couple looked so worried. Atticus' grandmother gave them a calm smile.

“It will be okay,” she said. “I will help you both.” She rested her hand on theirs. Her smile felt reassuring. Maybe this could work out. Reality can be so fickle at times. Plus, so close to graduation too. Aoi's grandmother didn't even know yet.

“Are you okay?” Atticus whispered. His girlfriend nodded. He held her hand and she squeezed his back.

“We will be okay,” Atticus whispered. He kissed her on the cheek. The boy only hoped to stay true to his promise.