Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Flame of Love ❯ Volume Eleven, Chapter Seventy-Four: Realization Trip ( Chapter 74 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Realization Trip

Michiko buried her head in her hands.

“Engaged?” she asked. “Engaged?! I mean… We knew they were in love. But still…” Hideki put his hand on her shoulder.

“I know,” he said in a low voice. “I know.” His fiancée sighed.

“How did this happen?” she asked. Hideki started to speak, but she stopped him.

“Never mind, don't answer that,” Michiko said. Hideki closed his mouth. Everything used to be okay. They knew their kids were dating and had no objections to it. But marriage?

“We can't let it happen!” Michiko said. Hideki gave her a sympathetic look.

“How we do that?” he asked. She stared at him.

“Heh?” she asked. Hideki sighed.

“How do I put this?” he asked. “Before I say this, just know I don't like it either. But we have to be real here. They won't listen to us. They're in love.”

“I know,” she said. “That's the problem.” Hideki took her hands.

“Is it really?” he asked. Michiko stared at him wide-eyed. He drew in a breath.

“It's just like me with his mother,” Hideki admitted.

“What?” she asked. He chuckled for a bit.

“I met her in junior high,” he said. “We dated for years. When we turned nineteen, I wanted to marry her. I proposed and she said yes. My mom was okay with it. So was her mom. But her dad…”

“He didn't like you?” Michiko asked. Hideki shook his head.

“He never liked me,” he said. “He didn't approve of getting married. He tried to break us up many times.”

“Oh no,” she said.

“Yes,” he said.

“So what happened?”

“We got married anyway. He wasn't invited to the wedding. Her mother spoke with him, but it didn't work. My wife cut him off in the end. He didn't even come to her funeral.”

“Oh.”

Hideki lowered his eyes. “I don't want to lose Ryo-kun or Kagome-chan.”

“Neither do I.” Michiko looked down at her hands.

“So… what should we do?” she asked.

“Well, we could be supportive,” Hideki said. “We don't have to like it. We have to be there for them.” His fiancée didn't speak at first.

“Take your time if you need to,” he said. Michiko nodded. Hideki kissed him on the cheek.

“I love you,” he said. She looked him in the eye.

“You never told me about your father-in-law,” she said. Hideki shrugged.

“You never asked,” he said. Michiko moved her head to his chest. Hideki patted her on the head.

“Help with this?” she asked.

“I will,” Hideki said.

“I love you,” she said. Hideki gave himself a little smile.

“I love you too,” he said. She closed her eyes and felt his heart beating against her cheek.

Understanding and Acceptance