Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gray Sky ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Good morning, New Hampshire! It is seven o'clock in the morning and it is a clear, crisp day!”
 
Carrie slammed her hand down onto her alarm clock. The DJ sounded too preppy for this time of morning. Who was actually awake at seven in the morning? Carrie concluded that the DJ was crazy.
 
She rolled over on her other side and stared out her window. Her eyes were still adjusting to the light. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and stretched out her muscles with elegant grace.
 
Carrie got out of her bed and went to do her hygiene ritual. She went back to her bedroom, went to closet and took out a pale yellow shirt that went to the elbows and raggedy overalls. Then she put on white socks and beat up Adidas.
 
She went to the kitchen and grabbed a bagel and her keys before heading out. Carrie locked the door behind her and when she turned around, she felt like someone was looking at her. Why was she getting those feelings? It wasn't normal…
 
The girl shrugged it off and went to her car. Carrie smiled. She was still happy that she had a car. Carrie got inside, started the engine and took off.
 
The drive down to the firehouse was nice. She didn't have to worry about getting blisters or getting abducted by a strange creep. She shivered. That was a disturbing image.
 
Carrie arrived at the firehouse at ten-thirty. She turned the engine off, got out and went inside. Carrie entered the office and saw Trace sitting at the desk with his feet on the table. He seemed to be reading a sports magazine. She cleared her throat and he stumbled and almost fell off his chair. Carrie giggled. That was so cute.
 
“Oh, hi Carrie. Welcome to the Moonfull Firehouse as a new firefighter,” said Trace.
 
“Hi. Isn't there anybody else working here?” asked Carrie.
 
“Yeah, there's one other person that works here. Other people usually volunteer. We don't get many fires, but sometimes there are forest fires and sometimes we go to the next town over when they need more help,” explained Trace.
 
Carrie nodded her head. Then she asked, “How old are you?”
 
Trace raised a brow. “Asking a personal question, are we not?”
 
Carrie blushed. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm just curious.”
 
Trace laughed. “I'm twenty-six.”
 
Carrie's eyes almost bulged out of its sockets. He didn't look that old. “I'm twenty,” she told him.
 
Trace nodded and asked, “Do you want to look around so that you'll know where everything is?”
 
Carrie nodded her head so Trace showed her around the firehouse. It was a small house, so it wasn't hard to remember where everything was. Then she saw a pole and started to giggle.
 
“What's so funny?” asked Trace.
 
“Oh, I just remembered something. The reason that I became a firefighter was because I wanted to help people. I didn't want to be stuck in a cubicle and shove papers into boxes. I wanted to do something that wouldn't bore me. When I told my male friends this at school one day, they said, `Hey! Carrie is going down the pole…kinky,' or something like that. I told them that if they were ever in a fire, I would let their asses burn before I saved them,” replied Carrie.
 
Trace started to laugh. Carrie smiled.
 
“Okay, your shift will end at seven-thirty,” he told her. “You can play video games. I will be at the market. I have to pick up the other worker. He has no transportation.”
 
Carrie looked at him in confusion. “Then why didn't you give him the car you gave me?”
 
Trace snorted. “Are you kidding? He crashed three times and then got his license revoked.”
 
Then he went out, leaving Carrie all alone. She went up the stairs and into a room that was filled with video games. She settled with playing an anime-based game.
 
She so focused on the game that she didn't hear two people walk in.
 
“Hey Carrie!” called Trace. Carrie jumped about two feet in the air. She saw a male that was almost as tall as Trace, standing next to him. He had dirty blond hair and pale blue eyes.
 
“This is Tyler. Tyler, this is our newest member of the team, Carrie,” Trace introduced.
 
“Hi Carrie.”
 
“Hi Tyler, nice to meet you. How long have I been playing?”
 
“It's been thirty minutes since I left,” answered Trace.
 
Throughout the day, the three sat around the television, playing video games and getting to know each other. Carrie told Tyler the story about her guy friends and the pole. He laughed.
 
It was seven-thirty and she said goodbye to her new friends. She got inside her car and began to drive home.
 
Half a mile to her house, she saw smoke coming from the woods.
 
“What the hell?”
 
She pulled over and hurriedly got a fire extinguisher from the trunk. She also got a cloth to cover her nose and mouth.
 
She leaped over the guardrail and started running into the woods. She let the smoke guide her to where the fire was. With the fire extinguisher under one arm, she let her free hand brush away the tree branches and bushes.
 
Then she found it, a small fire. She used the extinguisher to get rid of it.
 
“What idiot would not supervise a small bonfire?” she snapped, “This person is so irresponsible! It could have spread!”
 
Carrie heard a crunch. Her heart skipped a beat. She realized that she was lost. How could she get out? She hadn't been paying attention to where she was running. She had been so focused on getting to that fire and putting it out.
 
The crunching sound was getting closer. The only weapon she had was the fire extinguisher and whatever was close…like a tree branch…a lot of help that would be…
 
“Thank you for getting the fire out,” said a velvety voice. It sounded like sweet wine dripping off a silk petal.
 
She turned around. She saw a pale face with the moonlight shining on it. The man had jet-black hair that went just above his shoulders and his bangs just barely went over his eyes. He had brown eyes that had a yellow tint and his eyebrows were perfectly sculpted. His face was angular…like an angel's. It's like he redefined tall, dark, and handsome.
 
He had on a black wife beater, black leather pants and black army boots. His muscles looked mighty fine…it was kind of noticeable. They weren't too big; it looked just right with his frame. He seemed to be about six feet tall.
 
“Um, uh, sure…wait! Are you responsible for this? Do you know what you could have done?” shouted Carrie.
 
The man chuckled. Wow, that laugh sounds so hot, she thought.
 
“Sorry about that. I was trying to scare off a bear that was coming near the camp,” he said.
 
He sounds British, she noted.
 
“Where are you from?” she asked.
 
“I am from Britain. I moved here about three years ago,” he said.
 
“Oh.” She started looking around.
 
The man cocked his head. “Are you lost?”
 
Carrie looked down and shuffled her feet. “Yeah.”
 
He smiled. “I'll help you.”
 
He took her hand. She gasped. His hand was so cold! He started walking through the woods and before she knew it, they were at her car.
 
“How did you know?”
 
“Know what?”
 
“Where my car was.”
 
The man shrugged. “Natural extinct, I suppose.”
 
Carrie raised her left eyebrow.
 
“You don't believe me?” asked the man, all flabbergasted.
 
Carrie shook her head. The man laughed. Aw man, that laugh again, she thought.
 
“Well, you don't have to believe me. My name is Damian,” he said.
 
“I'm Carrie. My real name is Camilla, but everyone calls me Carrie,” she said before she realized that she was rambling on her name.
 
“Well Carrie, I hope we'll get to see each other again, but not under these kind of circumstances,” he joked. Carrie just nodded.
 
Damian kissed her forehead before stepping back while Carrie started her car. She pulled away and when she looked in her rearview mirror, he was gone. She sighed. She was…disappointed?
 
Carrie arrived home. She felt the same creepy feeling but this time it didn't feel scary. She went inside her house, locked the door and went to bed. Before her eyes closed, she thought, I hope that I'll see Damian again…