Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gray Sky ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Carrie was at work. She sat at the round table and enjoyed coffee with Trace and Tyler.
 
“So, what are doing after work Carrie?” asked Tyler, as he took a sip from the mug.
 
Carrie gave him a small smile. “I have a date.”
 
Trace almost spat out the coffee. “A date? With whom?”
 
Tyler raised an eyebrow at the man sitting next to him.
 
“A man I met a couple of days ago. He's really nice and very handsome,” she said, thinking of Damian.
 
Tyler could have sworn that Trace was going green with jealousy, but Carrie was oblivious to it all.
 
Trace had told Tyler that he had feelings for Carrie from the moment he laid eyes on her, dancing in front of the firehouse. Trace had old him that Carrie was carefree and beautiful in every single way.
 
“I would like to marry her someday,” Trace had said.
 
Trace's arms were crossed and his eyes looked a little distant. “You don't even know him!” said Trace huffily.
 
Carrie pouted. “I do so know him! His name is Damian and he's from Britain.”
 
“How old is he? Does he have a job? Do you know where he lives? For Christ's sake Carrie, he could be a rapist or a murderer for all we know!” Trace shouted. His face was starting to turn red and a vein was faintly popping out of his neck.
 
Everything was quiet. Carrie's eyes were bright with unshed tears and she was starting to get scared.
 
“Excuse me, I think I'll go home now,” she muttered, as she left the table.
 
As the door closed quietly, Tyler gave his friend a look. “Nice going, genius.”
 
“Shut up, I was just worried about her,” Trace mumbled.
 
“True, but you went a bit too far. You really hurt her feelings when you yelled at her like that,” Tyler responded, sipping the coffee.
 
Trace winced a little. “Do you think she'll come back tomorrow?”
 
“Definitely; she enjoys this job. You can see it in her eyes, especially yesterday when we were working. She looked so determined to help save that old lady's house,” said Tyler.
 
“Yeah, she looked wonderful.”
 
“You should give her something nice to make it up to her. It looks like you have competition,” said Tyler as he stood up and walked out of the room, leaving Trace alone.

~*~

Carrie was driving home with tears leaking out of her eyes. How could Trace say something so mean to her? It was true that Carrie didn't know a lot about Damian, but she felt safe with him. The way he smiled at her made her feel so extraordinary. She didn't give a damn what Trace said, she was going on the date that would be in…seven hours.
 
Carrie sighed. How was she going to kill time? She did have a garden, but no seeds or tools. She made a U-turn and went to Moonfull Feed Store.
 
Carrie went inside of the store and browsed the seeds collection. She picked: tomatoes, corn, lettuce, sunflowers, daffodils, honey suckle, and a few others. Then she went to the tools collection and grabbed: a hoe, a scoop, gloves.
 
She paid the cashier and headed home.
 
At home, Carrie didn't bother to change since she was in her working clothes: a faded green shirt and her two-holed brown pants.
 
She went around to the back of the house to the weed garden that would soon be a vegetable and flower garden. She looked at the mass of overgrown weeds as she pulled her gloves on.
 
“Okay garden, now it's just you and me,” she said as she started to stretch.
 
Carrie kneeled down and started pulling. The hot sun was giving her light, yet it was making her awfully hot. She wiped her forehead with her forearm.
 
Then something caught her eye. Carrie stood up and dusted the dirt off her legs. She started to follow the thing that had caught her eye. When she found it, she just stared. It appeared to be a tool shed.
 
Of all the luck, she thought as she shook her head and went to turn the knob.
 
It didn't budge.
 
Carrie took a deep breath and shoved her weight against the door. It flew open and dust and cobwebs greeted her. Sneezing and coughing, Carrie walked inside, using her hands to get the cobwebs that were in the way.
 
I wonder…she pondered as she started looking for a specific object in the dusty building.
 
Bingo! She found it…a wheelbarrow. Carrie lugged it out of the shed and went back to the garden to resume the weeding.
 
Carrie didn't pay attention to the time until it began to get dark.
 
“Oh my God! What time is it?” she screeched. She stood up and ran into the house. It was seven-thirty. She had a half hour to get ready. The first thing that came to mind was to take a shower.
 
She stayed in for fifteen minutes, getting all of the dirt and sweat off herself. Then she shut the water off and started blow-drying her hair. That took her ten minutes. She ran to her room and took out a pale jean skirt that went to her ankles and a dark green tank top. She put on some green flip-flops. Than she ran back to the bathroom and started to straighten her hair since it was all frizzy.
 
Please be late, please! She begged. Alas, her wish was not granted…the doorbell rang when she was halfway finished. She hurriedly completed her hair and ran to the front door. When she opened it, she almost floored.
 
There he was. Damian. He was dressed in black slacks, a black t-shirt and a black sports-jacket that wasn't buttoned. His hair was tied at the nape of his neck and he was wearing black flip-flops. He looked so damn handsome. How did she look?
 
“Um…hi, come in. You can sit over there, I'm not finished getting ready,” said Carrie as she stepped aside to let Damian in.
 
“Really? You look perfect to me, you seem ready,” said Damian with a smile.
 
Carrie blushed. That was too sweet.
 
“Are you sure?” she asked him.
 
“Of course,” he replied as he sat on the couch with his arms resting on top of the sofa. Carrie bit the inside of her cheek.
 
“Okay. So, where are we going?” she asked.
 
“That's for me to know and you to find out,” he replied with a grin.
 
Carrie made a face and Damian chuckled. He stood back up and held her hand as they exited the house.
 
He led her to his car. It was a purple jag that had purple flames on the sides of the car. The interior was white-beige interior with some purple in the middle of the seat. It was as gorgeous as its owner.
 
Damian opened her side of the door and then went to his. He started the car and the engine sounded like a lion roaring.
 
Damian started driving and the ride was quiet. Carrie looked out of the window, watching the scenery pass by.
 
The man driving looked at her out of the corner of his eye. She looked so pretty, sitting there and gazing outside. He just wanted to hold her against him and smell her scent. She smelt like apple blossoms. That was why he had always watched her from a distance in the dark.
 
They arrived at a meadow. Before he got out, Damian told her to stay put. He walked around the car and opened the door for her. Carrie walked out of the car with a smile.
 
“What are we doing here?” she asked him.
 
“We are going to have a picnic under the stars,” he said.
 
Oh my God…he is so romantic! She squealed inside of her head.
 
He walked to the trunk and took out a couple of blankets and a picnic basket. Then they walked to a tree and Carrie helped him set everything up. Damian sat against a tree and Carrie sat next to him. She took out a turkey sandwich and drank some water. Damian knew that she was still underage, so he didn't bother to bring any alcoholic beverages.
 
“Damian?”
 
“Yes, Carrie?”
 
“Can I ask you something?”
 
“Of course, you can ask me anything.”
 
“How old are you.”
 
There was some hesitancy before he said, “I'm twenty-two.”
 
“Why did you hesitate? Are you ashamed of your age? You're only twenty-two!” she said.
 
I'm much more older than that, Damian thought. He saw a shooting star fly across the sky. “Oh look! Shooting stars…make a wish.”
 
He's changing the subject, thought Carrie, but she went along with it. She closed her eyes as she made a wish. I wish to get to know Damian better.