Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gray Sky ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Damian, I'm getting tired. Can we please stop?” Carrie panted.
 
Damian could hear her breaths were getting ragged. As much he didn't want to stop running, he had to for her sake. So they stopped and sat down.
 
After Carrie regained her normal breathing pattern, she looked at her beloved. His eyes seemed far away and his right leg was jittering. She laid a hand on it comfortingly and Damian laid his cool hand on top of hers. Carrie looked up and met his gaze. There was something in his look that did not sit well with her.
 
“I have to tell you something,” he said softly.
 
“What is it?”
 
“I have a feeling that the outlook of this will not be good,” he replied.
 
“What do you mean?” Carrie asked.
 
The vampire let out a deep sigh. “I don't want you to be miserable when I tell you, but it will happen sooner or later. I might die.”
 
Carrie's heart let out a hard thump against her chest and stopped. Her world seemed to shut down in a flash. “Wh-wh-wh-what? What do you mean you might die? You can't! You're immortal.”
 
Damian looked away. “That vampire hunter and I used to be friends. One night, I seduced a woman in the alleys of London. I bit her, not realizing that it was Bryan's fiancée. He saw me; I fled, and refused to do it anymore. The only way for him to die is for me to die first. I cannot continue this wild goose chase and let someone important to me die. Ashling died and I don't want you to.”
 
He felt arms snaking around his waist and a head lay on his shoulder. “I don't want you to leave me all alone! My sky will turn from blue to gray.”
 
Damian turned his head and lifted her chin with his thumb and index finger. He saw tears slowly descending from her face. He leaned downward and kissed them away.
 
He then dragged his lips to hers and kissed them. It was the most passionate kiss that they had ever shared. She felt more love, more soul and more everything. It was like the kiss was assuring her that everything would be all right.
 
Carrie felt his body jolt into hers. She leaned back and saw his face calm. “I'm sorry…I love you always my darling Camilla.”
 
Damian turned into ash. It fell on top of her like snow. Then she saw Bryan lowering his crossbow.
 
He knew! Damian knew that Bryan was behind him. Dammit! Carrie cried. Her whole body shook while angry tears rolled down her face.
 
“How could you? How could you kill him in front of me?” she yelled at Bryan as she stood up unsteadily.
 
“Vampires are the undead. They're abominations. They're not supposed to walk among the living. Move on,” he plainly said as he walked away.
 
Carrie clenched her fists. “Just because he killed your fiancée doesn't mean that you can turn around and kill him in front of someone that he loves! Two wrongs don't make a right!”
 
Bryan stopped and started to laugh. He turned around and Carrie gasped. He seemed older than she last saw him.
 
“Really? He's a vampire. All vampires have to die before they overtake the human race,” he said. Then he inhaled deeply. “I can finally die. I have waited so long to die and meet my Isabella again.” He took a dagger and plunged it deep into his heart. Blood gurgled out of his mouth as he dropped onto the ground.
 
Carrie stood there, stunned at what just happened. Her mind was trying to process of everything that just happened.
 
She looked over at Damian's remains and she saw something lying on the ground with ash covering parts of it. She walked towards it, bent down, and picked it up. Carrie gasped. It was Damian's ring! Her hand enclosed around it and Carrie slipped it onto her finger.
 
The girl looked up into the twilight sky and started off to Damian and Ashling's house.