Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mafia ❯ Volume One, Chapter Four: Promise ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-Mikhael-

This can't be happening. I'm expected to marry that devil woman? No! No way! I won't do it! Why me? All because my father owed a debt? That can't be. That can't be! She already hates me. I didn't do anything. Why does she hate me? I can't do this.

“I'm home,” I said when I made it back to my house.

“Welcome home,” mom said in a shaky voice. My stomach dropped. He wasn't kidding, was he? The mobsters were really here. This has to be a really long nightmare. Yeah, that's it. This is just a bad dream I'll wake up from, right? Right?

No…

They stood around in the kitchen. Mom sat at the table.

“So… H-H-How was the meeting?” she asked. It was the worst.

“Fine,” I said, nodding. “It was fine.” I forced myself to smile. One of the thugs stared at me. My mom nodded.

“Good,” she said. “That's good.” She looked ready to cry. What should I do? I'll be fine, but my mom…

“Are you okay?” I mouthed. She nodded once.

“Are you hungry?” mom asked.

“No,” I said. “Uh… I'm going to take a bed and go to bed.” Mom nodded.

“Okay,” she said. “Good night.” I slowly backed up to the hall. The thugs kept their eyes on me. I can't stay here. They made that clear. I would have to stay with that devil woman and her dying dad.

I shook my head in my room. I can't do this. I won't do this! I flopped back onto the bed and sighed. I don't have a choice in the matter. I was going to have to try and get us out of this nightmare.

--------

I stayed at the big house. The devil woman avoided me. Her dad was nicer to me. Didn't change the fact I was a prisoner. The whole time prayed this was a nightmare. Just let me wake up.

By morning, I knew this was real. When I made it to school, things got worse.

Everyone wouldn't stop starting at me. Uh… Did I have something on my face?

“Is… something wrong?” I asked.

“Is it true?” Ryuji asked. I blinked.

“Huh?” I asked. He looked around quickly.

“Are you really engaged to Valentina Popova?” he whispered. I froze. Oh shit.

“How did you know?!” I yelped. I covered my mouth. Ryuji-san stared at me. No… Don't look at me like that. I put up my hands.

“It's not by choice!” I said. “I was forced into it! She doesn't even like me!” Ryuji-san frowned. Oh great. He doesn't believe me.

He wasn't the only one either. Jim whistled at me.

“Aw, man,” he said.

“Yeah,” I said. “It's not what you think. I got forced into it! They're holding my mom hostage!” Jim patted me on the shoulder.

“I believe you,” he said. “I'm not the one you need to convince.” The color drained from my face.

“Oh no…” I murmured.

“Yeah,” he said. “I wish you luck.” I shoved his hand off. I almost forgot about her.

And sure enough, my girlfriend was angry.

“It's not what you think!” I said. I got tired of saying this. Why won't they believe me? Akiko glared at me.

“What am I supposed to think?” she asked. He calm tone scared me. I gulped.

“Look, I didn't agree to this,” I said. “They have my mom hostage in our home. Valentina clearly doesn't like me. Please! You have to believe me! I would never marry another girl. I had no say in this!” Nothing. Akiko's eyes looked so cold. Oh no… Not her too.

“Do you like her?” she asked. I stumbled backwards.

“What?! No!” I shouted. “I don't even know her. We only met last night. I was kidnapped and taken to her house. Both mom and I.” Akiko walked over and hugged me.

“Huh? Oh,” I said. “What's all this?” She looked up at me.

“I believe you,” my girl said.

“You do?” I asked. I breathed out a sigh of relief and put my arms around her.

“Just don't leave me,” she pleaded against my chest.

“I won't,” I said as I held her tighter. “I won't.” I had to get out of my current situation. For both mom and Akiko's sakes.

Promise