Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 7, Chapter Fifty-One: Quick End? ( Chapter 51 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Quick End?

-Yuki-

My jaw about dropped.

“What?!” I asked. “When did this happen?!” Toyota looked at me with all emotion drained from his face.

“I was just as shocked as you were,” he said. “My mom had been rather hesitant to tell me on Saturday. I guess she didn't want me to be in a bad mood with my date.”

“You're moving away?!” I asked.

“Yes,” he said. I moved my mouth up and down, but no sound came out.

“W-W-When did this happen?” I asked again.

“Quite some time,” Toyota said. “Mom just told me last night.”

“But… Why?” I asked. My first real friend outside of Annette was leaving me. My heart pounded against my chest. We've only known each other for close to a year and it still hurts.

“Don't be upset,” Toyota said. “We'll still get to talk to each other daily.” His words could barely reach me.

“I need a moment,” I said. I stood up and wandered off to the bathroom.

“Fujita?” I heard Toyota ask. His voice sounded so faint by the time the door closed behind me.

--------

I can't remember the last time I cried that hard. I saw on the floor of the stall weeping like mad. It felt so strange. I pictured myself sobbing like a baby when Annette or Shizuma left me. Every time I tried to pull myself together, I would end up crying more.

“Fujita?” I heard Toyota asked as he knocked on the stall. “Are you really that upset I'm leaving?” I lifted my head as he tried to open the door.

“Don't!” I yelled. The door handle went still.

“Why?” Toyota asked. I gulped as I wiped away my snot and tears.

“I don't want you to see me crying like this,” I whimpered. “It's just embarrassing.” I sniffled.

“Fujita…” he said.

“I don't know why I am sobbing like a baby,” I said. “We haven't been that close so long.”

“Fujita, we'll still get to talk to each other,” he said. “Mom said that we won't move until graduation. I haven't told anyone else yet. I wanted to tell you first because you are a good friend.” I froze with my knees to my chest.

“When are you going to tell the others?” I asked.

“I was going to tell them this weekend at my house,” Toyota said. “I was going to announce it at a small party and I need your help to plan it.

“Plan it?” I asked, sniffling.

“Yes,” he said. “Would you like to help?” I wiped away more tears.

“I'm not good at planning parties,” I said. “I don't know if I could be much help.”

“Please?” Toyota asked. “You're the only one I can count on for this.” I opened the bathroom door. Toyota reached into his pocket and pulled out a packet of tissues.

“Look at you,” he said. “Your face is a mess.” He pulled out a fresh tissue wiped me clean.

“Thank you,” I said in a soft voice. Toyota put his arm around my shoulders.

“Anytime, man,” he said back. “Go wash your face and we'll go back to class.” I nodded and slid out from under him. The cold water made me feel a little bit better. It still hadn't sunk in that Toyota was leaving us. Up until now, everything had been going great for me. For the first time in my life, I was happy. I had more friends, my grades got better, and I had a loving and supportive boyfriend. I stared at myself in the mirror. High school's going to end for us soon and I didn't even know what I wanted to do for my future. Once we graduate, we will all go our separate ways and grow into adulthood.

I looked up at the bathroom ceiling. Will I be able to cope on my own again?

We Will All Leave