Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 9, Chapter Seventy: Favor ( Chapter 70 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Favor

-Yuki-

Let's talk about awkward. I learned what that was again when Dave's mom asked me for a small request. I stared at her confused at first.

“I'm sorry… what?” I asked. She stared at me with doe eyes.

“Please?” she asked. I had a strange look on my face.

“So… you want me to get Dave a girlfriend?” I asked.

“Yes,” his mother said. My eyes shifted back and forth. Why was she asking me to do this? Shouldn't she be going to a matchmaker or something?

“I don't understand,” I said.

“Understand what?” she asked. I rubbed the back of my head as I nervously laughed.

“Wouldn't it be better if you talked to a matchmaker instead?” I asked. His mother nervously laughed too. I raised an eyebrow.

“Ma'am?” I asked.

“I've tried that,” I said. “It's just… there might have been a breakdown in communication.” I could picture what that looked like. I'm almost tempted to ask what happened, but gut instinct told me to zip it. Instead, I smiled and nodded.

“Right…” I said. Ms. Walker had a desperate look in his eyes.

“Please? Can't you help me?” she asked. What could I say? I knew this wasn't going to work, but she wasn't going to let it go. I groaned and rubbed my forehead.

“I'll see what I can do,” I said. Why did that even come out of my mom? Ms. Walker bowed her head.

“Thank you so much!” she said. I tried not to make eye contact as I rubbed the back of my head, nervously laughing. Oh boy…

---------

“She wants you to do what?” Shizuma asked. I shrugged and shook my head.

“Apparently, I'm playing cupid,” I said.

“Why?” he asked.

“Tell me and we'll both know,” I said.

“And what did you say?”

I sighed. “I said that I would see what I could do.” Shizuma gave me a strange look.

“Why did you say that?” he asked.

“I don't know,” I said. I looked over at the window.

“And why are you telling me this?” Shizuma asked.

“I don't know. Maybe I need some help?” I said. I looked out of the corner of my eye to see him put up his hands at me.

“Sorry,” he said. “I've got nothing.” Somehow, I wasn't surprised by that. Looked like I was on my own for this. Shit.

----------

I called up Dave the next morning. I didn't have much of a plan. But I still had to get this over with.

“Hello?” Dave asked.

“Hey buddy,” I said. “How have you been?”

“Good? How are you?” he asked.

“Good! I'm good!” I was quick to say. “Um… uh… Are you busy today?”

“No…” Dave said. I should tell him. He needs to know what his mom asked me to do. Dave should know. He should really know.

“Yuki, what's going on?” I heard him ask.

“Huh?” I asked. “Oh! Nothing! I just wanted to check up with a friend!” There was a pause on the other line.

“Okay…” Dave said at last.

“You don't have to if you don't want to!” I said.

“It's fine,” he said. “Where do you want to meet up?” I was struggling to come up with a place. Dave usually wasn't the type to get out that much. Something must be wrong. I pressed my lips together.

“Meet me at Starbucks,” I said.

“Sure,” Dave said without blinking. Whoa, he doesn't even like coffee. How boring is his day?

“Alright, I will meet you there in an hour,” I said. I hung up before he could say anything else. Now, I don't how I feel about this. Boy, I had no idea how this was going to get worse.

Confused Cupid