Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 10, Chapter Seventy-Nine: One More Try ( Chapter 79 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One More Try

-Toyota-

I have one more shot at this. If she doesn't say this this time, I am going to give up. I've tried my times in the past, but something always got in the way. Not this time. This time is going to be different. Katsuya and the others aren't so convinced.

“I wish you luck,” was all Katsuya said. His tone told me what he really thought.

“What?” I asked. He shrugged and shook his head.

“Nothing,” I said. “I wish you luck.” I puffed up my cheeks and frowned.

“I'm going to win her over!” I shouted. “I'm going to win her over!”

“I heard you the first time,” Katsuya said. I turned and marched out of the classroom.

The problem was timing. I used to be shy and awkward. (Okay, I still am. That's beside the point.) Yuki helped me get better. He gave me plenty of tips. Yuki was about bit awkward when it came to talk about girls. Looking back now, I understand why.

But that is beside the point.

When I got home, I decided to go for it. I picked up my phone and stared at it. Months ago, I got Ayeka-chan's phone number. We were assigned to a school assignment together. She gave him her number.

“This is so that you can call me for school,” she said. I was overjoyed but fought to keep myself calm.

“Of course,” he said. We only talked about the school assignment. I tried to engage her in small talk, but I would give up in the middle. I tried to ask her out on a date once.

“What?” Ayeka asked.

“Uh… nothing! It's nothing!” I said. I tried to laugh it off and move on. She probably thought I was an idiot. I did ask her out at the graduation party and Ayeka accepted. The date was good, but I don't know how she feels about me.

I clenched my fists. I'm going to do it. I am just going to confess my feelings to her. I made the call.

“Hello?” Ayeka asked on the other line. I sat up straight on my bed.

“Ayeka-san,” I said. “Are you free right now?” There was a pause over the line.

“Is something wrong?” she asked. I quickly shook my head.

“Oh! No, no. It's nothing like that,” I said. “Um… uh… I just want to ask you something. Can we meet up?”

“Okay,” she said.

“Your place or mine?” I asked.

“You can come over, I guess,” Ayeka said. My heart jumped in my chest.

“Thank you so much!” I said. I looked like an idea bowing to nothing in my room, but I didn't care.

“I will be right over,” I said. I hung up before she could say a word. I looked over at the mirror across the room. I started to frown. I can't go over looking like this. I leapt to my feet. Right. Time to get cleaned up. I walked across the hall to my bathroom.

----------

It took about an hour and a half to get to her apartment. Gave me plenty of time to think about what I wanted to say. I probably should be romantic but be cool. I frowned to myself. I am romantic, but I am not cool. I don't have much to give her. Still, I couldn't give up. This was going to be it. I clenched my fists.

“I can do this,” I said to myself.

I made it to her front door. There it was. It was going to be now or never. I wasn't going to turn back now. I took in a breath and rang the bell. I started pacing around. No matter what she says, I will accept it and see where it goes from there. Still, I prayed that she would say yes.

I froze when the door opened. I could've sworn that I saw an angel standing before me at the door. Ayeka had her hair up in a ponytail today. Boy, she looked cute in her sundress.

“Toyota-kun, it's you,” she said. I leapt up into attention.

“I love you!” I yelped. “I have always loved you! Please be my girlfriend!” My face looked so red. That was not how I wanted that to come out. I cursed myself in my head. Well it was too late to take back now. I thought I was going to die when she started giggling. Oh no. She probably thinks that I am a loser and reject me. I wanted to sink down into the ground and disappear forever.

“I like you too,” Ayeka said. My eyes widened.

“What?” I asked. Ayeka moved in closer to me. She put her finger to my lips as I tried to think of something to say.

“I like you too,” she whispered. She leaned in and kissed me on the lips. My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. This had to be a dream, right? Did I just get the girl? I slowly took her into my arms and kissed her back. She didn't push me away. Well, okay. So we are dating now. Where do we go from here now?

New Love at Last