Other Fan Fiction / Original Song Lyrics Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Five Minutes and She's Where I Wanna Be ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
 
“Joe!” Nick said, trying to wake his brother up. “Joe! Get up! Kevin and I are going to the mall. Wanna come?” Joe sat up, squinting at his brother in the bright room. He glanced at the clock- 9:54.
“Fine, I'll come. When are we leaving?” He looked up to see Nick with a shocked expression on his face.
“Wait.. so.. you're coming?” he asked.
“That's what I just said, isn't it?”
Nick sighed and took out his phone. He dialed a number and waited for the person to answer.
“Nick, what are you-“
Nick held his hand up and spoke into the phone. “Hey Kev… no, we can't leave yet, come back inside… yeah, he said he'd come-”
“Kevin's waiting in the car right now?!” Joe asked.
“Well, yeah.. you normally stay home, so we figured today wouldn't be any different…” Nick trailed off. Apparently Kevin said something funny, because Nick was suddenly laughing and clutching his side, trying to catch his breath.
“Gee thanks, guys. I'll be ready in a bit.” Joe said, getting up. Just then, Kevin walked into the room.
“Don't wash your hair.” he said. Joe shot him a glare.
“Why not?”
“Because I don't feel like straightening it.”
“Fine.” Joe walked out of the room, holding a bundle of clean clothes, and went into the bathroom to get ready. An hour later, the three brothers were walking into the mall, each wearing a hat and sunglasses to hide his face. They walked around the stores, and Kevin and Nick spazzed when they found a guitar shop. They dragged Joe inside, and proceeded to play all the guitars they could see.
Krystal woke up at 1:15 to her mom's voice telling her that her cousin, Taylor, needed someone to take her to her friend's birthday party. Krystal needed to pick Taylor up from Aunt Linda's at 11:30 so she could get to the party at 12. It was a thirty minute drive to Aunt Linda's, so she had 45 minutes to get ready. She showered, got dressed, and ate breakfast. Soon she was in her car, driving over to Aunt Linda's.
Taylor bounced out of her house, holding a present wrapped in a cute pink wrapping paper with blue, purple, and green polka dots.
“Krissy!” squealed the 8-year-old as she climbed into the back seat.
“Hey Taylor! So where is your friend's party?”
“Julie's party is at the Build-A-Bear in the mall. Here, mommy told me to give you this.” Taylor leaned forward in her seat and handed Krystal directions to the mall. Krystal drove, all the while listening to Taylor's stories of accidentally killing her fish, Squirt, when she put it in warm water instead of cold, and how her hamster, Boo (short for Peekaboo) got out of his cage and didn't go back until a week later. They walked into the mall, and Taylor ran right into Build-A-Bear. Krystal just watched as all the girls gave Julie her gifts and started making their bears. She couldn't help but laugh when Taylor did everything needed to start her bear's heart.
When Nick and Kevin were finally done at the guitar shop, they and Joe continued to walk around the mall. They stopped in front of a Build-A-Bear, laughing at a cute little girl jumping, twirling, and shaking a little red heart clutched in her hand simultaneously. What caught Joe's eye, though, was the teenage girl standing a few feet away from the little girl, laughing. She had long wavy brown hair that cascaded perfectly over her shoulders, curving around her face. Her blue eyes sparkled as she laughed at the little girl.
“Whoa, she's hot.” he said aloud. His brothers looked at him, disgusted. “No, no, no! Not the little girl! Chill, I'm not a perv… I'm talking about her..” he clarified, nodding his head over to the teenager.
“Oh..” Kevin said, nodding. Relief came over his face. Then he smirked. “I bet you can't get her number!” he challenged.
“You're on!” Joe said, walking into the store.
Krystal was helping Taylor pick out an outfit for her bear when a guy wearing a hat and sunglasses came up to her. “Hi.” he said. Krystal looked around to see if he could be talking to someone else. It was hard to tell who he was looking at, considering his glasses covered half his face.
“Um… hi?”
He laughed. “I'm Jared.” He said hesitantly.
“Katie.” she replied. She didn't want to give the stranger her real name. True, she'd talked to Joe twice, but she'd never actually met him. That was different. She couldn't get raped over the phone, not that she thought he would even do that. Joe is okay. This Jared guy, not so much.
“Is that your sister?” he asked, nodding towards Taylor.
“No, cousin.”
“Cool. And you were willing to bring your cousin here?”
“It appears so.” she faked a smile. She wasn't gonna let herself get caught off guard.
Jared kept talking to her as Taylor made a birth certificate and got a box for her bear. She would nod and fake a smile every now and then, and she answered his questions cautiously. Finally, she was following the 8 girls and Julie's parents over to the McDonald's for lunch. Jared stopped her.
“Well, I see you need to go. Thanks for the chat. Can I get your number by any chance?” He smiled.
“Sure.” She chose 10 numbers at random and gave him the fake phone number.
“Cool. Cya.” He smiled once again and walked away. Krystal felt relieved to be rid of him. `What a creeper….' she thought.
“Aahhhaaa! I win!” Joe chanted, walking back over to his brothers and waving his phone in the air. “Katie….” he said, scrolling through his contact list. “Here we are! Nine four eight, seven one two, oh six five three!” He smirked at his brothers.
“How….?” Kevin wondered aloud.
“Told her I was Jared, we talked, she's totally into me, she wouldn't stop smiling, and I got her number.” he smiled at his brothers' looks of shock.
“Okay, let's go home. I'm don here. You?” Nick asked, turning to Kevin.
“Let's roll.” he replied.
“Hey! But I wanna see if I can get more hot girls' numbers!” he grinned, wiggling his eyebrows. Nick and Kevin just rolled their eyes and walked toward the exit.
Krissy didn't get home until 8 that night, because she babysat Taylor and stayed for dinner. She watched a CSI rerun, and at 9:15, her phone rang. Smiling, she hurried up to her room and picked up.
“What homework are you failing at today, Joseph?”
“Uh… french. I don't-ay know-ay what-ay I'm doing-ay.” They both laughed.
“Way to go.” Krystal said.
“Hey! It's not my fault they don't make a french Dora the Explorer type thing… what about…. Pierre the Investigator? I would watch that show.”
Krystal laughed. “I could picture you watching something like that.”
“Yup.” he replied, smacking his lips on the `p'. “So, what did you do today?”
“Took my cousin to her friend's Build-A-Bear party. It was cute. She got a white bear and named it Brownie, haha. What about you?”
Joe froze. “Uh… went to the mall with Nick and Kev, got bored when they found a guitar shop…. did you say Build-A-Bear?”
“Yeah.. let me tell you.. 8 girls at a Build-A-Bear is not the greatest idea. It was incredibly chaotic… and there was this creepy guy who started talking to me. He asked me for my number.”
“What… what was his name?”
“Jared.. why?”
`Oh my god!' Joe thought. `I met Krissy!!!!'
“Nothing, just wondering.”
“Okay… it's alright though. He thinks my name is Katie, and has a nonexistent number. It's not like I'm ever gonna see him again, let alone talk to him on the phone.” She laughed, and Joe tried to force one.
“Haha, yeah… like you would ever pick up if he called… ha… ha..”
“Mhmm… so what else did you do today?”
“Nothing much, just chilled at home… uh, sorry, but I gotta go. Kevin and Nick are calling for me…”
“Oh. Okay, I'll talk to you tomorrow?” she asked.
“Um, yeah. Definitely.” he didn't want to stop talking to her, he just needed to tell his brothers.
“Okay. Bye, Joe.”
“Bye.” He hung up the phone and hurried downstairs. “Nick! Kevin!” he called. They came up from the basement.
“What's up, Joe?” Kevin asked. Joe didn't answer.
Nick laughed. “What? Did that girl give you the rejection hotline number or something?” Joe shook his head.
“That number…” he started.
“Yeah….?” Kevin asked.
“was fake.” Joe finished. Nick and Kevin started laughing. “That girl wasn't named Katie, either.”
Joe's brothers looked at him, confusion evident on their faces. “How do you-” Joe cut Nick off.
“That girl was Krystal.”