Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Vitani's Decision ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5: Vitani's Decision
Vitani came running when she heard Simba's second distraught roar. Nala had ordered her to watch the cubs before she went out with all the other lionesses, but she figured Mairu could watch them all the same. Someone had to go see what was going on and if Nala and Simba were okay. As she ran toward the sounds of distress, she saw a large male lion with deep wounds on his neck bolting from the scene. Vitani stopped running for a moment to watch him. He had a yellow-orange body with a black mane. He had thick limbs undoubtedly filled with muscles. Overall, he was a very attractive lion. Vitani wondered if he was the one causing all the trouble.
"Wait!" she called to him.
The lion looked back at Vitani but didn't stop running. He turned his head forward, and ran off at full speed. He was so fast that Vitani knew she could not catch him. She then remembered Simba, and ran in the direction of the roars. When Vitani arrived, she gasped.
"What happened?" she asked, concerned as she saw the unconscious king covered in blood.
"Vitani!" Nala shouted, standing over Simba. "You were supposed to be watching the cubs!"
"Yes, Your Highness, but I was worried, and thought you needed help. Mairu is watching the cubs now."
Nala's eyes softened.
"Your actions were honorable. I am glad you are here. You are strong and can help me carry Simba home."
Vitani nodded as she walked over to Simba and looked at him. In his arms were Timon and Pumbaa...or what was left of them, anyway. Vitani could put two and two together to guess what happened. Simba was embracing them in his sleep. After a bit of struggling, Nala and Vitani got under Simba's arms and carried him side by side.
Simba awoke to a familiar scent. The one who carried it was licking his leg. It stung.
"Ow!" he said.
"Simba!" Nala said. "You're awake! You've been sleeping for hours."
She nuzzled him.
"Am I going to live?" He muttered.
Nala chuckled.
"Of course. You only have a bump on the head and a few puncture wounds on your leg."
Simba tried to get up but found he could not.
"You should remain lying down. After a few days, you can get up."
"Grrrr I don't want to stay in bed." Simba looked around the den. No one else was there.
"Where are they?" Simba asked.
"Where are who?" Nala said already knowing who.
"Timon and Pumbaa! Where are they?"
"They...were buried. Once you can stand and move, you can go see their grave."
Just then, Rafiki stepped in. Simba didn't notice.
"No, I want to see them now." Simba said childishly, trying to stand up again.
"No, Simba! Rafiki is here to put medicine on your wounds. Lay down."
Simba continued struggling and actually stood.
"Simba! You'll worsen your wounds! Sit down." She ordered.
"Take me to their grave."
"Simba..." Nala murmered, exasperated.
He tried walking. It was painful, but Simba was stubborn. He kept on. Nala rushed to his side.
"The will to see his friends is strong." Rafiki said. "Let him see dem."
"They are buried by the cave entrance." Nala told Simba, sighing.
She and Simba came out of the cave.
"Here." She whispered, and gestured with her paw to a spot on the ground next to the mouth of the cave.
Simba looked. "In the rock?" He asked.
"No. We removed a large stone and there was earth underneath, just enough to bury them. Rafiki taught us how to plant flowers here."
The flowers were beautiful. Some were light red and some were yellow. Two white flowers were taller than the others. They stood for the two bodies buried there.
"Timon...Pumbaa...My best friends."
Simba's eyes reflected sadness. Then they changed to anger and hate. Simba quickly bounded on to pride rock, wounds forgotten, and called for a meeting. Many of the lionesses where already there, and the rest of the lionesses arrived quickly. There were the eight from the outlands, Mairu, Vitani, Jika, Tima, Omaru, Tikana, Sanu and Toni. Then there were the six Pride Landers, Sarabi, Sarafina, Sanai, Jamey, Tamani, and Kanai. Kovu and Kiara hopped up on pride rock by Nala who was waiting by the mouth of the cave with a pained expression on her face.
"I am sure you are all wondering about what happened a few hours ago, so I will tell you." Simba said firmly. "I was out walking and saw a lion eating Timon and Pumbaa. I attacked him but the battle was not going well. He was a very strong rogue. I am very fortunate that Nala and you all showed up. He ran away with his tail between his legs. But now I wish we had not let him go. In two days, when I regain my strength, we will follow his blood trail, hunt him down and kill him for what he did."
Simba dismissed everybody and limped back into the cave and collapsed on his bed of soft grasses. A few lionesses whispered amongst each other, noting Simba's rash decision. A few lionesses went to see Timon and Pumbaa's grave. Some went to see Simba to offer their help and sympathies.
Vitani felt a little sad about Simba's verdict. It would be such a waste of a handsome lion to have him killed. When everyone had dispersed to their desired location, whether it be to visit Simba or visit friends, Vitani wandered off away from Pride Rock. Her head was held low and she felt a little lonely. She became lost in thought.
I wonder how that male lion is. she thought. I wonder if I could get to him before Simba does… maybe he will help me with my cub dilemma…There aren't many traveling males about. He's been the first I've seen in a while. I could go find him and finally have the cubs I've always wanted!
She considered leaving and warning the rogue lion about the pride coming to kill him. If she helped him get away, maybe he would reward her by giving her cubs. Right now the lion was probably just sitting around, trying to lick his neck wounds, he would have no idea about the ferocious hunt coming for him in a few day's time. Vitani had made up her mind. She would leave Pride Rock and make a family with the Rogue lion.