Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Thresh's Ceremony ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 37: Thresh's Ceremony
Kiara realized that this must have been a horrible experience for her pride. When she looked around at the lioness's eyes, she noticed very spaced looks, as if they were still thinking of the horrible incidents that they witnessed and the pain they felt.
"And I'm so glad it's all over." Nala finished. All were silent for a moment, then Kiara broke it.
"That was a long story."
"Maybe I should have let Kovu tell some of it," Nala said looking at Kovu. He chuckled, and Kiara giggled.
After that little joke, everyone started to lighten up. They moved around and talked like normal. A moment later, big bellied Toni and Kiara started talking to Mairu. She checked Kiara's cub by gently pressing on her belly. She announced that her cub felt normal and undamaged.
"But, Toni," Mairu said when she moved on to Toni's side, "There is something different about your cub."
"Oh no," she whispered, then nearly shouted, "Is she okay? Is my Ciara okay?"
"Yes, Toni she is okay, but there is something very different." Mairu then removed her paw. "But noting life threatening. I just don't know what it could be."
"But she's not hurt?"
"No."
"And I only have about three weeks left, right?"
"Yep." she smiled.
"Then I am very happy."
Kiara and Mairu laughed.
"And you, Kiara, have about four weeks left."
"That's right, about a week after Toni's." Kiara nodded. "I can feel little Kivu kicking around in there." She looked at her big belly. Kiara felt an overwhelming sense of happiness. She flicked her tail in anticipation. Kovu, from the other side of the cave saw Mairu talking to Toni and Kiara so he walked over to them.
"How's my baby, Doc?" he said.
Mairu chuckled, "He's fine. Not too long now!"
Kiara smiled and looked up at her husband. He looked at her and smiled too. He looked and felt like the happiest being in the world. Kovu nuzzled her and purred.
"Also, while becoming parents, you become King and Queen."
As Toni said this, Kiara's heart jumped. She had almost forgotten that part. She felt a little sick inside. It wasn't like she didn't want to be Queen, like when she was little, but it was just…
What if I destroy the pride…?
Kovu saw the distraught look on Kiara's face and read her mind, "Kiara, I know we will do great," he said as Kiara looked up at him. Mairu and Toni nodded. "Because it seems to run in your family." he added, gesturing with his tail at Simba who was smiling and laughing with some lionesses.
Kovu always knew how to make Kiara cheer up, though he still had doubts of his own. Mairu then decided she needed to go check on the wounded. Some were still very injured. Toni then left the cave to go lie in a patch of sun outside.
Kovu and Kiara also went out, but they stayed at the mouth of the cave. Kiara gave Timon and Pumbaa's grave a wink. The grave had been replaced with new flowers; the other ones were wilting for some while, but now, two new strong white flowers stood beautifully tall, along with other flowers of many colors around them.
Kiara laid down and looked out over the peak. It is where Rafiki will hold Kivu up to the Kings, and where they will shine their approval with rays of light. Kiara remembered when she was little, her father told her that no one remembers their own ceremony because they were too young when it happened. But Kiara liked to pretend she could remember hers. She thought she remembered a big lion, who she assumed to be Mufasa's, smiling face. She remembered swiping at the curious wind and leaves that were carried in the wind. Kiara wondered if Kivu would remember his ceremony.
Kovu stood next to the laying Kiara, and purposely put his paw on her tail. She looked at him, breaking her thoughts, and yanked her tail from underneath his large paw.
"Hey!" she protested. Kovu just laughed and then Kiara did too.
"We're going to be up there soon," Kovu said thoughtfully after their laugh.
"Yeah, with our little Kivu," Kiara said, "What do you think he'll look like?"
"Well," Kovu said with a smirk, "He'll be unbelievably handsome, like me."
Kiara giggled as he raised her eyebrows at her.
"And, he'd be fast, and strong," he continued.
"Like you," she finished for him.
"Why yes, Darling, just like me."
Kiara giggled again and stood up. She pressed up against Kovu's side. She wished nothing more than for Kivu to be just like him. They both sat, watching the sun go down over their future lands.
The next day, Thresh's ceremony was held. They had already buried the body behind the cave with the rest of the forever resting Pride Landers. The ceremony had started by everyone gathering wild flowers they found around the lands. Everyone was quiet as they gathered around his grave. There was a big square of loose dirt where Thresh's body laid. The pride circled the mound, and sat down. Simba sat, not on the mound, but beside. He faced the mound that housed Thresh's body.
"A great lion is being honored today." Simba started, "Thresh of the Mountain Pride. He died honorably, thus deserving of a royal ceremony. He was sent here by the Mountain Pride to deliver the news of the attack on his pride. While we were gone, he saved Kiara, Toni, Kanai and the cubs from Death. Thresh truly was a hero."
Simba moved away from the place he was sitting, and moved to join the circle. After a moment, Kanai stood and walked to the spot where Simba just stood. She sat down, laid her flowers on the mound and then sat up. "I thank you, Thresh. I would have died without you, leaving my cubs without both their parents. I would have missed them so much. And we will miss you too, always." She then nowed respectfully and re-joined the circle. Toni stood and placed her flowers where Kanai's were.
"Thank you," she whispered, "for protecting my Ciara." After a moment, she bowed and re-joined the circle. Kiara waited to see if anyone else wanted to go. When no one else moved, she knew it was her turn.
She stood up and placed her flowers with the others. She stood at the spot, looking at the mound. She couldn't think of the right words to say.
After several moments of silence, the words came to her. "Thresh was a great guy. He did a lot of the hunting for us while you all were gone. He helped Kanai a lot. Thresh told Tali and Mani stories to chase away the boredom. In truth, he really entertained us all. He was funny, sweet... kind. And," her eyes unfocused on the mound as tears started welling up. "Near the end of his life…he saved me. Death was almost upon me, and surely would have killed me, but Thresh, still wounded, finished him off."
Kiara paused, searching for more words.
"Though he is gone…he will never be forgotten."
She bowed as she finished, then whispered so no one but him could hear, "I'm sorry, Thresh." She rose her head and then joined the circle again. No one else had anything to say so the ceremonial song was started and continued through the hours of the night.