Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Queen Lessons ( Chapter 38 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 38: Queen Lessons
The pride mourned Thresh the rest of the day. Simba asked Zazu if he were willing to fly to the Mountain Pride to let them know what had happened to Thresh. Zazu didn't seem to mind, and when he was ready, he began the long flight. The Pride Land lions respected his memory by spending most of the day in silence. Even the cubs sat quietly that day.
The next morning, Nala decided to give her daughter more of an idea of what being a queen was like.
"So while we were gone," Nala started, "You got a taste of the responsibility of being queen." Kiara nodded as she listened carefully. They had gone far out into the grass so they could be by themselves. The careful eyes of the King and Prince watch from the peak of Pride Rock. Simba was also giving Kovu a talk about being King while keeping an eye on the girls.
"But I haven't given you much instruction on how to lead hunts. As Queen, you will become lead huntress. Unless you are unable to do it for some reason, like being pregnant for example. But you wont have that problem when you are Queen; Kivu will be born by then." She smiled. "Well unless you choose to have more cubs. In that case, you will choose another lioness to hold the position of lead huntress until you are able to return to your duties. When I step down, Kiara, I am giving you this responsibility."
"Alright!" Kiara said excitedly, "And I'll take it gladly."
"Good. Now when you make a plan, make sure you run it through your head first. Make sure its not foolish. One small mistake and you could blow your chance for a meal. You have to lead these lionesses to feed the whole pride. Remember that one hunt we did a while ago, before we left? Before you were gifted with Kivu?"
Kiara nodded. She remembered it like it was yesterday. It was her first successful hunt. It pushed away the though of her embarrassing failure of her hunting test that seemed so long ago.
"Well, that plan was quite simple. I have done that plan many times with our pride, before we got more members. You can always repeat or borrow old ones. You can borrow that one if you'd like. It's been used for generations."
"Alright I will," she smiled.
Kiara's lesson went on. She didn't get to do any actual hunting because of the dangers it might create for her large belly. Nala went over the different kind of animals in their kingdom and the easiest way to take them down. She also taught her how to avoid injury and what to do if she found herself having to hunt on her own. Kiara learned to go for a small or sick animal in that case, and to grab for the neck and not let go until the prey suffocates.
Somewhere far away from the Pride Lands, a light yellow-ish lioness was laying on her side in a patch of grass. She looked at her swollen belly and smiled. Then a large lion with a black mane, and yellow-orange pelt walked over to her, dragging a gazelle in his mouth. He dropped it near the lioness and it landed with a soft thud. He let out a tired breath.
"I've had to do all the hunting for us," he said. The lioness chuckled.
"Shut up, you know you enjoy it."
He smiled, leaned down and nuzzled her. They both purred into the night.
The next morning at the Pride Lands was bright and breezy. The usual hunting party was sent out and food was brought hastily. After a long day of "Queen Training" the day before, Kiara was full of knowledge and excitement. She told Kovu all she learned and he chuckled at her enthusiasm.
"That's my girl," he said as he rubbed his paw over her head. She swatted him casually. After a moment, Kiara said,
"What kind of King do you think he'll be?" Kovu knew how she was talking about even though she didn't say.
"A great one." He purred.