Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Beautiful ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 39: Beautiful
Two weeks passed. Ciara and Kivu's birth dates were very close. Toni was due any day now. Toni and Kiara were spending their last days as pregnant lionesses relaxing in the tall Savannah grass, soaking up the sunshine. Happiness overwhelmed Kiara as she laid with her eyes closed. She wondered what her cub would be like for long amounts of time. She knew he would be a lot of trouble, and there would be times when he could sneak away and get into danger. She had to promise herself to watch him always. Now she knew why her own father was so protective. Another thought about Kivu came into her mind: Would Kivu even like Ciara?
What if he doesn't like her? Could we actually force them to marry if they dislike each other? What if one of them somehow dies? She shuddered inside. Better not think of that.
Kiara opened her eyes and looked around the area. The grass was tall, blowing softly in the bright sun. She felt so calm as bugs made soft noises. She soon drifted off to sleep as Toni had done some time before.
Kiara awoke later to a loud grunt. Kiara's eyes fluttered open. She heard the grunt again, and pulled up her ears to listen. It sounded like it was coming from behind her. Kiara knew Toni was behind her, but in her sleepy state, she thought nothing of it. When the soft grunting continued, she lazily got to her paws and shook her head to clear her sleepiness. She then put her paws out in front if her in a long stretch.
It was then that the grunt got louder. No longer sleepy, Kiara's head snapped over in Toni's direction. She was laying on her side, appeared to be sleeping. There was a slight strain on her face. Her back legs were twitching a lot. She pulled them close to her body and pushed them out in her sleep. The motions were slow and methodical. Kiara realized what was happening.
She was having contractions!
Kiara flew to all four paws and was about to call Toni's name to wake her, but with sudden speed, Toni also flew to her paws, nearly scaring Kiara to death.
"Ohhhhh!"she wailed, "OHH! Kiara!"
"Toni! Toni lie down, it's time!"
"Ohhh Kiara it's happening! OHHH!" she moaned.
"Lie down!" Kiara ordered, and Toni obeyed. "I have to get help!" Kiara said.
"No! Don't you leave me!" Toni said with a snarl. She was desperate to not be alone.
"Okay, Toni, it's alright, I'm here." Kiara said soothingly and went close to her. "But Toni, I need to go get help."
"Maybe they'll hear me freaking scream!" she said loudly and uncomfortably. "It hurts," she groaned, and moved her head through the grass. Kiara was near panic. She thought fast, and roared in the direction of Pride Rock for help. She hoped someone would hear and come. She then went to comfort Toni. She was breathing hard with eyes pressed shut.
Kiara had no idea what to do. She really needed some experienced lionesses to help. They would know what to do. Kiara franticly looked in the direction of Pride Rock. It wasn't far off, and Kiara wondered why no one had come yet. She took a quick step toward Pride Rock to go fetch someone.
"Kiara!" Toni squeaked
Kiara hesitated. Could she leave her friend for just a few moments? No. Kiara quickly decided to stay with Toni no matter what.
"Okay, I'm here." she said as she went back to her side.
"Kiara!" Toni squealed again. Her eyes her glossy with pain and desperation. "It hurts."
"Oh, Toni." Kiara nuzzled her shortly. "They should be here soon!"
"Okay," Toni said, squeezing her eyes shut again. "Okay."
Kiara watched her as she laid her head down on the ground, sweat and tears rolling down her cheek. She took deeps breaths. Kiara watched as her breathing slowed. After a few moments, Toni said,
"It doesn't hurt so much anymore. Is…is that normal?"
"I don't know…" Kiara said helplessly. "Just try to relax."
Kiara suddenly heard a voice calling her name, coming for the direction of her home. She knew who it was at once. Simba jumped into the clearing.
"Daddy! Oh thank God you're here. But…uh…we kinda need females right now. Toni was having contractions!"
Simba's eyes grew huge. "Oh." Was all he could say.
"Is Mom coming?"
"I'll go get your mom and Sarafina."
"Hurry!" Kiara ordered.
Simba didn't spend another moment standing there. He turned and ran. Only after a few minutes, Nala, Sarafina and Mairu came running in with Simba in the lead. Kiara stepped back so the lionesses could see Toni. They ran to her side. Kiara moved to where Simba sat, some feet away, looking dazed.
Kiara scoffed. "I'd have hated to see how you acted when I was born."
"Just think of how I'll act when Kivu is born." he said without a note of playfulness. This made Kiara laugh. She knew that Simba would just have to deal with it, because Kivu would be born soon after Ciara has. Kiara looked in Toni's direction when she heard more grunts. She soon got to holding back screams. Kiara heard her mom's strong voice telling Toni to calm down and breathe.
"I hope she will be okay…" Kiara thought aloud. All her attention was toward Toni, even though she couldn't see her through the experienced lionesses. Toni grunted and moaned for a few more moments, then…
"Oh! She's coming!" Toni yelled.
Kiara jumped up and went to Toni's rear end, where her grandmother, Sarafina, was standing.
"That's it! Push again!" Sarafina encouraged. With one final moan and squeak, Toni pushed and lifted her leg. A small peach cub, along with after-birth, slipped from her mother. It was Ciara, and she was beautiful.