Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Jai ( Chapter 40 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Caution, there are spoilers for the next story.
In reply to a good question: To anyone else reading this, she asked why am I making Kiara make Ciara and Kivu betrothed because for all we know, Kiara herself wasn't betrothed to anyone. Well, we do know that the royal lions of the Pride lands have some sort of arranged marriage. We know that from the 1st movie. You were right, though, that in the 2nd movie, Simba never betrothed Kiara to anyone, but that is simply because there was no male cub in the pride lands for all we know at the time. I think if they did have a male cub in the lands, then she would have been betrothed to him. And If there was no cub when she was young, I bet they would have relied on some new member coming in. But, I mean, I'm not Disney, and I don't have to do stuff just like Disney, so I am having the betrothed rule as such: the parents can choose who the royalty can be betrothed to, if there is none, the royalty will grow up until one comes along, (probably no matter what age if they are desperate enough for an heir.)
This is one of my favorite chapters.
Chapter 40: Jai
"It's my Ciara! Oh, is my baby girl alright?"
"Mairu had gathered the tiny cub in her paws and cleaned her with her gentle tongue. After a moment, Mairu suddenly stopped grooming.
"Toni," she said quietly. "This is a boy!"
"A boy?" Toni said breathlessly.
Gasps were heard from the other lionesses. Kiara felt a sinking feeling. A boy? Who would Kivu's betrothed be now?
"Let me see my son." Toni said with a tired smile.
Without another second, Mairu brought the cub over to Toni's front, and placed him gently into her arms. The tiny cub's eyes were closed. He squirmed quietly. Toni's expression softened even more as she stared at her son.
"Hello there. You are quite a surprise." she cooed. "But you are so special, you are my beautiful little boy." she gently licked him as the cub wiggled. The surrounding lionesses were awed at the sight of the new baby. Kiara broke the momentary silence.
"So," her voice quavered as she started. She cleared her throat and started again, "So what are you going to name him?"
Toni looked up at Kiara, who had moved to Toni's side. Toni gave Kiara a sympathetic look, as if to apologize for not having a Ciara as planned.
"I think I will name him…" She looked back at the small peach cub in her arms. "Jai. After his father."
Kiara had never thought about Toni's mate. Toni never talked about it. Before Kiara blurted anything, she decided to ask about him later. Toni then started grooming her baby while he squeeked quietly.
"Look at his little paws!" Nala gushed. "They're so small! Just like you were when you were just born." she said nudging Kiara's side. Kiara gave an embarrassed smile. She hated how her parents talked about her when she was a cub.
Suddenly Toni grunted.
"Ohhh! Oh no, more pain?" she cried. Kiara watched from the side as more after birth came out. She felt a little nauseated.
"That's normal, Toni, it's afterbirth." Mairu informed.
"It really hurts!" she cried, "It feels like… like-" she was interrupted by extreme pain and clenched her teeth. She squealed loudly. With extreme effort, Toni lifted her leg again, and out came an orange cub.
"Another cub!" Sarafina gasped.
"A…another?" Toni said tiredly. She had put her head down by Jai after that last push. A small amount of after birth came out after the small orange cub. This time, Sarafina gently cleaned it up and carried it to Toni's arms. She placed it by Jai.
"It's a girl." Sarafina announced quietly.
"There's my girl. My Ciara," she said. Ciara snuggled close to her brother. Everyone gathered around Toni again. Simba even came over to take a look this time, though he was still a little shocked over the birth of the cubs. "My little babies," she whispered and looked at her cubs with soft eyes.
Kiara was excited that Kivu would have Ciara for a future mate after all.
The sun rose high the next morning, though the excitement of new life brought little sleep to Toni and the rest of the pride. Jai was definitely a surprise. Over the night and morning, the cub's traits became more prominent. Their colors changed from dull shades to bright colors. Ciara was a yellow orange, much like Simba's color when he was a cub. She had peach toes, belly, and muzzle. There was an odd trait about Ciara; she had a small, but prominent bright red tuft of fur on her head. It was a lot smaller and thinner than a regular cub's tuft.
Jai was very light peach in color. Even lighter than Nala. This toes and muzzle were nearly white. There was a small tuft of blond fur on Jai's head.
"It must be exciting to have two cubs!" Kiara said as she looked down at the two bundles of joy that were suckling at Toni's side. Their paws stroked her stomach.
"Just like me!" Kanai said. Her cubs, too, were looking at Jai and Ciara with wonder.
"Is that how small we were when we were born?" Tali asked as she looked up at her mom.
Kanai smiled, "That's right." Tali smiled and returned her gaze to the newborns.
"So, Toni, you've never talked about your mate before. Forgive me for asking, but I am curious." Kanai said. It was slightly rude to ask this question because a lioness, with the exception of royalty, can mate with any male they want, for any reason. No lioness has to tell who or why if they do not want to. But Toni was okay with the question, and answered happily.
"Well, I first met Jai a long time ago. I suppose I must have been an older cub at the time, nearing adolescence, much like you, Tali and Mani," Toni turned her gaze to the older cubs for a moment. Then she continued, "I remember playing with him one day when his mother came to our pride, asking to join. Apparently she desperately wanted to join Zira's Pride for reasons unknown to me.
"Oh yeah, I remember when that happened," Kovu said as he joined the conversation, and laid by Kiara. "I was being trained at the time but I heard about some tired old lioness begging to join."
"Yes," Toni said. "And she brought her cub with her. Jai. When his mother and Zira spoke to each other, I got to play with him. I learned who he was and where he'd been. He was about the same age as me. He was creamy pale orange in color and had bright green eyes. I thought he was very cute.
"I formed a little crush on him while we played. I was sad to see him leave when Zira decided to turn them down. Only to be happy again when he and his mom came back the next day. Jai's mother wanted to try to get into the pride again even though Zira denied her the first time. I did get to play with Jai again. I got this picture in my mind about us playing together everyday after he and his mother were let in the pride.
"But Jai and his mom again were denied from the pride, and were chased out by Zira herself. She really didn't want them to be in the pride for some reason. I'm guessing it was because she was old and wouldn't be helpful to her plans for taking over the Pride Lands... This time, they didn't come back. I was so torn knowing I might not see Jai ever again," Then she said to Kovu, "Did you ever find out why your mom wanted them gone so bad?"
"Uh, no, I never got to talk to my mom about anything but fighting. She was all about training me every moment of the day. I really didn't get to talk to anyone, for that matter."
"Well," Toni continued, "Time went on and I wondered if I would ever see Jai again. I often planned I would go find him, but they were all childish dreams of a foolish lioness. When I grew older, Zira made us all train hard. She often told us how our day of reckoning was coming and that our lives were about to change forever. We were all so busy training, and fighting. Sometime later, I think it was just before the battle with your pride, Kiara, that I saw Jai again. He was so handsome. He had a great red mane. It was so thin and silky. I recognized him immediately. I was so happy to see him again. I asked him if he remembered me and he replied with a simple, "Of course." Our love sprung once again. I wanted to run away with him, but he wouldn't let me. He told me there were things he needed to do alone. Before I could say anymore, Zira caught us and had everyone chase him out. He left without a fight, taking one last glance at me. And that was the last time I saw him."
"Aw," Kanai said, "You must miss him." Toni smiled.
"Yes, I do. But I know I'll see him again someday. Fate keeps bringing us together, and I believe it will happen again. And I'll have two special cubs to show him!"