Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Looking for the Perfect Nanny ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Ouran. I only own the plot of this story.
 
Looking for the Perfect Nanny
 
--One-
 
For the first time in her life, Haruhi Fujioka skipped her class. It was something she never did before; no matter intentionally or not.
 
However, that day was completely different.
 
It was something unexpected for her to see Kyouya Ootori again especially after she had given up her hope to search for him. Still, what surprised her most was the other person he brought with him.
 
When Kyouya explained to her who the person was; Haruhi found that it was more than an unexpected surprise for her. And that fact alone was beyond any good reasons for her to stay at home with her guests.
 
Just for once in her life, she could not even care less about all her classes.
 
--
 
Haruhi had been staring with both of her amber eyes wide open at the guy with a flawless face who sat composedly in front of her for almost five minutes before she could think properly about his question.
 
He must be simply throwing a bad joke at her. A very bad one if she might add.
 
Sadly, no matter how many times she replied Kyouya's words inside her head; she still failed to find the amusing part of the question she just heard from him. Or at least what she thought she had heard.
 
Furthermore, Haruhi knew it only too well that Kyouya Ootori was not exactly the type of person who would joke over such matters that lightly. She did not even recall that he had a good sense of humor to begin with. She even once ever thought that Kyouya and humor were just not fated to exist in the same realm. The closest thing to a joke that he was able to throw at her all along in the past was his ability to say things utterly sarcastic that people around her might mistakenly think that he was just simply pulling her legs.
 
At least that was Kyouya she thought she knew before he walked out on everyone in the host club's life including her own.
 
Haruhi took a deep breath before managed to say, “I'm sorry I don't quite get your last sentence, Kyouya-Sempai. You want me to be what?”
 
“Be my son's nanny,” repeated Kyouya simply. His expression was veiled behind his bangs.
 
“Why should I?” asked Haruhi with a hint of exasperation in her voice.
 
The words that came out so bluntly from her mouth made Kyouya fixed his onyx eyes at the girl before him as though he found it difficult to discern her statement. He could not help but noticing that she titled her head slightly in the same way he remembered she always did whenever she tried to apprehend strenuous questions.
 
A small sigh escaped from his mouth.
 
`Always so blunt are we?'
 
“You should; because I have nobody else to turn to.” Kyouya pushed his glasses lightly to the bridge of his nose.
 
`Not that I ever tried to find any.'
 
Haruhi did not know whether she should feel happy or sad to know that she was Kyouya's last resort for the current matter.
 
Finally she only managed to ask, “On what ground do you base your judgment with; which obviously has made you think I will accept your request anyway, Sempai?”
 
“I guess the fact that you don't have any other options than to agree with me in this matter is suffice enough to be my ground, Haruhi. At least for the time being...”
 
Kyouya shot Haruhi with a calculating look and pushed his glasses once again.
 
Haruhi frowned slightly upon hearing Kyouya's explanation. There was more than exasperation in her voice as she asked, “How can it be possible for me not to have any options on this matter? It's a ridiculous kind of answer especially since it comes from you, Sempai.”
 
Something inside Haruhi squirmed with uneasiness when she saw Kyouya smirking for the second time that morning upon hearing her words. She knew exactly what Kyouya Ootori was capable of before they lost all contacts. And judging from the smirk on his face at that exact moment; she could only guess at least for that devilish part of his, he still had not changed.
 
“I understand that your contract for this place will end by the end of this month, Haruhi?” stated Kyouya in an oddly light tone.
 
Haruhi noticed that the guy was not exactly answering her previous question. Yet knowing him, Haruhi did not feel the need to ask on how he could possibly know such trivial matters like her apartment contract, for instance, even when that day was supposed to be their first encounter after almost one and a half year they hadn't seen each other. He always had his contacts and means to get whatever information he wanted anyway. She just inwardly hoped that it was only a mere casual remark from a close friend who had not seen her for quite a long time.
 
She decided not to ask further on why it was important for him to know the due date of her contract. It was obviously the least of her worries on hand at the moment.
 
“So? What's that got to do with me having no options to reject you on the matter, Sempai?”
 
“Nothing. It's just out of curiosity, I guess.” Kyouya stared intently at the beautiful face in front of him.
 
Somehow Haruhi had a very bad premonition about this.
 
--
In one quick glance, Kyouya knew that everything had remained unchanged in Haruhi's apartment. He knew it very well that she was not the type of person who liked drastic changes to ever happen in her life; in some ways it was just like him. However, he also knew that both of them also happened to be those kinds of people who would live through the changes; no matter how hard or how extreme those changes might be.
 
Still, he could not help but feeling inexplicably warm inside his heart when his gaze stopped at a wooden bookshelf just around the corner of the small living room. Unlike the rest of the furniture inside that small apartment, the bookshelf looked extremely extravagant and out of place, almost like it was not designed for such apartment to begin with.
 
Kyouya stared at the bookshelf for a couple of seconds longer before he averted his sight to anywhere else but the bookshelf and never took a second glance at it anymore.
 
He ended his gaze on his surrounding to his now sleeping son on his lap and caressed the boy's raven hair delicately. For a fleeting second, without Haruhi even aware; something very much like sadness and a tinge of regret appearing on his handsome feature replacing his usual calculating look and detached aura.
 
Suddenly his voice broke in the sudden silent that hung in the air when Haruhi decided to make some coffee for both of them.
 
“About your previous question, Haruhi; I think I will give you my answer now,” said Kyouya almost casually although his expression lucidly showed otherwise. He knew it perfectly well that it was almost impossible for Haruhi to hear his words clearly when she was still in the kitchen like that.
And just like what Kyouya had predicted before; Haruhi could not listen to what he said properly. His voice was somehow muffled with the voice of water boiling from the kettle.
 
“Sorry I can't hear you, Sempai. Could you wait a sec? Coffee will be ready soon,” shouted Haruhi from the kitchen.
 
Kyouya only smiled and continued his words as if there was no interruption from Haruhi; very much like he was pretending that he did not hear her words previously at all.
 
“You will accept my request in the end. Because I know; you will never let my son to have no mother. Like you or me. Like us. I guess this reason alone is acceptable enough to be the ground of my request, Haruhi.”
 
By the time Kyouya spoke the sentence, his expression was unfathomable.
 
Still it was too late for him to cast out a secret thought that had already lingered inside his mind for almost two years now.
 
`Along with the fact that I want to give myself a second chance, Haruhi.'
 
--
 
“Where do you want to go, Sempai? You haven't even drunk your coffee yet,” asked Haruhi slightly surprised when she saw Kyouya was already standing. He had rested his still fast asleep son on his chest and prepared to leave.
 
“Thanks for your offer but I think I have to go now. I'm already late in giving Hajime his morning milk,” refused Kyouya politely.
 
“Oh… I see,” Haruhi stuttered a bit.
 
She still was not sure how to give a proper response to Kyouya every time he talked about his son. At the moment, the realization that Kyouya had a son was too new and too sudden for her to give any thoughts about it. And it did not help her at all when the guy himself did not even care to explain any kinds of details about the kid except that he named him Hajime Ootori.
 
By the time they reached the doorway, Haruhi opened the door for him and asked Kyouya casually, “Eh, what did you want to say when I was in the kitchen, Sempai? I'm sorry; I did not quite catch your words back then.”
 
Kyouya only chuckled a little and merely said, “I just noticed that you still keep that bookshelf, Haruhi.”
 
“Eh?” replied Haruhi in astonishment. She never thought that Kyouya would bother himself to ask such unimportant question, especially after they had not seen each other for quite awhile.
 
She merely titled her head just like what she did earlier and added, “Shouldn't I keep it, Sempai?”
 
When Kyouya heard Haruhi's blunt answer he could not resist from laughing quietly. His chuckles broke into silent laughter and finally between his laughs he answered, “I guess you should, Haruhi.”
 
------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
 
2 years 4 months 23 days before…..
 
3rd Music Room
 
Haruhi, where do you think you're going? Our meeting has not even started yet,” asked Kyouya. He pushed his glasses cautiously and gave the girl his usual calculating look. He had to halt his typing once he saw from the corner of his eyes that the girl in question was standing up all of a sudden after they had spent the last half an hour in such dreadful silence.
 
I'm sorry, Kyouya-Sempai. I just remembered that I have to go to the stationery shop first before heading home today and I will be very late if I have to wait for the meeting,” replied the girl in a matter-of-factly tone. She stared back at the guy whom gave her the utmost menacing glare from behind his expensive laptop without showing any slightest signs of fear.
 
As far as Haruhi concerned, she had given him the most reasonable reason for not being able to attend that particular afternoon's meeting, especially when there was no signs that it would begin any moment soon. Therefore, it never crossed on her mind that Kyouya would sound his dissaproval over such simple matter like a mere one day absent for the meeting. It was not like she missed the actual hosting activity earlier that day anyway.
 
Care to explain the exact reason on why do you have to go to a stationery shop when you obviously always get generous supply of any kinds of stationeries you ever need from the host club in the first place?” Kyouya's tone sounded dangerously impatient although his handsome was was still as impassive as usual.
 
Well, I need to buy a new bookshelf since the old one I have was broken when I tried to put more books on it yesterday,” explained Haruhi still with the same tone as before.
 
I never heard anyone bought a bookshelf in a stationery shop before. Do they sell those kinds of things in there anyway? Don't you think a furniture shop would be more appropriatefor you to… ah… buy a bookshelf, Haruhi?” asked Kyouya as he let his curiousity took the best of him. Honestly, he never got used to Haruhi and her commoner antics.
 
Haruhi smiled and her big amber eyes seemed like twinkling brighter than before as she explained, No, I just want a simple basic bookshelf. It's always so expensive and very impractical for me to buy that kind of thing in a furniture shop. Besides, they also charge a large amount of delivery fee which will only make me waste more money if I ever buy it in there.”
 
I see…” said Kyouya as he returned his attention back to his laptop once again.
 
So, can I go now, Sempai? Please help me to tell the others that I will see them tomorrow. Where are they anyway? Why are you the only one around in here today?” Haruhi glanced around the empty 3rd music room, as though she just realized at that moment that they were the only people around in the 3rd Music Room.
 
Yet without she ever notice it; Kyouya smirk a little as he replied, I guess they're late and I only suspect that they have picked up your habits rather well for this particular matter.”
 
Haruhi merely raised one of her eyebrows questioningly.
 
Yes, it was true that sometimes she came late whenever host club activities took place.
 
Okay, probably it's not only sometimes but at least it was definitely not that frequent to make the rest of the host club members being infected by her tardiness all of a sudden. However she knew it better than to reply to the sarcastic remarks from Kyouya. From her experiences so far, if she ever dared to reply him with even only a mere harmless retort over such trivial matters; she could expect an amazing raise in her debt level by no longer than the next day after she first committed the offense.
 
She merely shrugged off a little and began to walk away from Kyouya in light steps.
 
Well, see you tomorrow then, Sempai…”
 
Kyouya stopped typing almost instantly as soon as he heard Haruhi's words.
 
I recall it perfectly well that I have never agreed about you leaving early for today, Haruhi,” snickered Kyouya and his onyx eyes looked darker by a notch by the time he stared at the aghast-looking Haruhi.
 
But…” muttered Haruhi hesitantly. She pouted her lips slightly and clearly showed a reluctance on having the possibility to experience another pointless row of arguments with the shadow king.
 
There was a strange gleam flickered for a moment in Kyouya's onyx eyes before he spoke once again, “By the way, what do you think if I give you an interestingoffer, Haruhi? You only need to answer me with a 'yes'or 'no'.”
 
Haruhi inhaled deeply before she grumbled, Do I have an option not to listen to your offer, Sempai?”
 
“No.”
 
Haruhi sighed and shook her head in an apparent disbelief. It was true that Kyouya Ootori was not known as the Shadow King for nothing after all.
 
Well, I'm listening,” said Haruhi at last.
 
You see, I happen to have some old bookshelves that I never use before at home. You can pick the one that you like and I will get someone to deliver it to your house without any costs like those ungratefulfurniture shops. It saves your time, effort and ah… of course… money,” Kyouya smirked as though he considered his own sentences to be particularly amusing.
 
Why do you have to offer me with something like that of a sudden, Sempai? What's your real plan? Oh, don't tell me that you actuallywant to raise my debt again?” Haruhi looked very flabbergasted upon the thoughts of Kyouya raising her debt again for the umpteenth time. As far as she could remember, she did not even retort him with anything blunt or sarcastic for the whole day.
 
Ah, it hurts me greatly to know that you have such a deep misperception about me. I'm not that lowto take advantage on you for such a small issue, Haruhi.” Kyouya chuckled softly when he finished speaking.
 
Well, I'm really sorry for asking such things, Sempai. I guess I just can't shake off the impression that you're always scheming somethingto increase my debt whatsoever,” stated Haruhi a little bit guilty with her subjectivejudgment about the devil king. Yet something in the way he chuckled made her unable to erase the thought that the offer from Kyouya would not be as simple as it might seem. Still, in the end she decided that probably she was merely thinking too much over nothing.
 
Kyouya chuckled again and said a little too friendly than usual, “That's an interesting point of view I must say, Haruhi. I assure you that this time I come clean, okay?”
 
A warm smile appeared on Haruhi's beautiful face as she gave Kyouya's words a second thought before she replied, Well, I suppose so. When can I go to see them then, Sempai?”
 
Tomorrow will be perfect since it is Saturday anyway. You can come to my house say around 5? We can have dinner and watch some of my DVDs togetheras well if you like. Furthermore, I will ask my maids to prepare some ootoro for you.” Kyouya pushed his glasses slightly and continued typing on his laptop as though he was merely glad to end the dullest conversation ever.
 
Upon hearing the word Ootoro, Haruhi sighed a little and replied almost dreamily, “That's a perfect idea, Kyouya-Sempai. I hope I'm not giving you any troubles because of this.”
 
Without leaving his sight from the laptop in front of him, Kyouya only answered disinterestedly, No need to get too work up over this simple thing, Haruhi. Now, can you help me calling the others? We need to start the meeting if we want to go home before sunset.”
 
Okay.”
 
--
 
Several minutes later...
 
There was a faint smile etched on his handsome face as he recalled the previous conversation he had with the most clueless girl he ever met. Soon after he had reassured himself that nobody especially the very same girl he just thought of was in the proximity, he pressed one of his speed-dials on his cell phone.
 
And without waiting for the person on the other line to greet him first; he spoke in a firm tone, “Buy all kinds of bookshelves that you can find in both stationery and furniture shops now, Tachibana. Make sure that you get all of them before I reach home this afternoon.”
 
Kyouya stopped his sentence and listened to the reply from the person on the other line.
 
Shortly, he spoke once again with more impatience and aggravation hinted on every word he said, “Yes, I just said stationery shops and yes, you did not mishear me. Buy them from both stationery and furniture shops. Don't make me repeat the sentence again. Ah, and also don't forget to tell the maids to prepare ootoro for dinner tomorrow.”
 
-- to be continued -
 
A/N: Finally I was able to finish the first chapter. I hope you will like this. Please give me your comments, reviews, and feedbacks. I will always appreciate them.