Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ The Bet ❯ Promblems Arise ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Bet
 
Chapter 4: Problems Arise
 
The twins were out of sync today for some reason. But Kaoru just couldn't figure it out… Why was his brother constantly looking at Tamaki? A few times Tamaki even looked back, but in such a way that it suggested flirtation. He had to find out.
 
Hikaru was suddenly pulled away by his arm, into the small kitchen at the back of the large room. He was practically thrown inside and his brother closed the door. “What's up with you and Tamaki today?” Kaoru asked suddenly.
 
“It's all about the bet… Nothing serious.” Hikaru said in a calm voice, but making the mistake of glancing back at the kitchen door.
 
“Nothing Serious?” Kaoru said with an uncertain tone to his voice.
 
“Are you mad at me?”
 
“No…I-”
 
“Then why all the questions?” Hikaru asked, looking a bit more frustrated.
 
“I can tell when something is going through your mind. We're out of sync today… It's obvious.” Kaoru caught his brother looking back at the door. He was eager to leave… but why? “What did you two do yesterday?”
 
“Nothing!” Kaoru stepped back a little. His brother had never snapped at him like that before. Hikaru realized what he had just done. “Sorry…” He said softly.
 
“I'm calling off the bet.” Kaoru interrupted suddenly.
 
“You're calling it off… just because I'm different today? Maybe I'm just having a bad day…” “Or had a really good one.” Hikaru smiled at the thought.
 
“See? Right there. That smile… It's different.” Kaoru said, his voice wavering towards the end.
 
“Kaoru…?” Hikaru said, his ears picking up the change in tone. “Are you all right?” Hikaru stepped forward.
 
Kaoru stepped back. “Whatever you two did… It's not our world anymore… is it?”
 
Hikaru's eyes widened slightly. “Kaoru… I just-” But his brother pointed to the door.
 
“Leave.”
 
“Kaoru…”
 
“Go. I… I need to be alone.” Hikaru's body drooped. His heart hurt. They had never fought before. He nodded meekly and opened the door. A few girls noticed him coming out of the kitchen and quickly crowded around.
 
“Hikaru? Where's Kaoru?” “Is he okay…?” “Oh no! He could be sick!” Hikaru just kept walking towards the front door. The rest of the Host Club members looked up at him from their chairs, their eyes following him as he walked. He opened the doors and turned his head a little to look at the girls who shushed themselves.
 
“Leave me alone…” He said meekly. A huge gasp came from the girls around him at his words and they immediately began to whisper.
 
“Excuse me.” Tamaki said quickly as he stood and walked quickly over to the door after seeing the twin disappear behind it. He swung open the doors and went out into the hallway. It was completely empty, except for Hikaru who was sitting on the ground, his back against the wall and his knees up against his chest. He walked over to the twin and sat down next to him. “What's wrong?”
 
Hikaru put his head on Tamaki's shoulder. “He's upset. We've never fought before. I don't know if I can do this.” The twin said softly before burying his face into the blonde's shoulder.
 
“All siblings fight once in a while.” Tamaki reassured.
 
“We haven't.” Hikaru said sadly. “I can't fight with him… I just can't do it.”
 
“Come on… You can make it through this.” Tamaki said as he rested his head on top of Hikaru's. “You're one of the strongest people I know…”
 
“Not against Kaoru.”
 
Tamaki smiled. “You really love him don't you?”
 
“Of course I do… He's my brother. I always have.” Hikaru said as he looked up into Tamaki's eyes.
 
“Then you'll make it.”
 
“How?” Hikaru asked, taking his head off of Tamaki's shoulder
 
“You'll make it because you love each other.” The blonde said as he stood, offering his hand to Hikaru. “Ready?”
 
Hikaru smiled slightly and took his hand and they walked back to the door together. “Hey, when am I going to get my belt back…? My pants keep drooping at random moments.” With a laugh, the two walked back into the room… but they stopped when they noticed the absolute silence that had draped over the room.
 
“K-Kaoru…?” - - - “Kaoru!”
- - -
 
Hikaru held his twins hand firmly within his own, the heart-monitor steadily beeping in the background. Tears stained the white sheets below Hikaru's resting head as he stared blankly at the wall ahead of him… thinking of what had happened.
 
They opened the doors and realized something was wrong immediately… it was too quiet. The two looked around and their eyes rested upon the limp Kaoru on the floor in front of the kitchen door. A small pool of blood collecting around his upper arm and a trail of crimson stains led from the kitchen's door to where he lay.
 
Hikaru's eyes widened as it finally soaked into his mind. “K-Kaoru…?” He said with a wavering voice as he looked at his brother's figure. “Kaoru!” He screamed into the air, his feet finally willing to move.
 
“What happened?” Tamaki demanded as Hikaru rushed forward, falling to his knees by his brother's side.
 
“I'm going to call an ambulance.” Haruhi said as she ran towards the phone.
 
“What happened.” Tamaki said loudly with a stern face. He looked about the room. Hunny was crying in the corner within Takashi's arms. Kyouya's pad and pencil had fallen to the floor as he stared down at Kaoru's body, stunned and silent. Haruhi seemed to be the only one doing anything. All their guests were stunned and a few were simply crying masses on the floor.
 
“Kaoru… why…?” Hikaru wept by his brother's side. “I'm sorry… just come back to me… I'm sorry. Please, come back… Kaoru…”
 
Hikaru squeezed his brother's hand firmly at the memory and moved his head so he was facing his sleeping brother. “I'm sorry… just… just come back. Please.” Hikaru whispered as he moved to hug his brother gently. “I need you here… Kaoru.”
 
After a few more long moments of waiting… waiting for anything to happen… Kaoru's hand moved against his brother's. Hikaru sat up, keeping his hand and eyes on Kaoru's.
 
“Hi-Hikaru?”
 
Hikaru smiled and could feel a hope rise up in his chest. “Kaoru… I'm here its all right.” His brother opened his eyes but quickly closed them again.
 
“Nh… Why is it so bright?”
 
“You're in a hospital room… Do you want me to turn off the lights?”
 
Kaoru nodded slightly then squirmed in pain, placing his unhurt arm's hand over his wound. “It hurts…” He said as Hikaru flicked off the lights.
 
“That's why you're here.” Kaoru opened his eyes, the soft light that glowed from the closed blinds illuminating the room. “What happened?” Hikaru asked as he sat upon his brother's bed.
 
“What do you mean…?” Kaoru asked as he sat up in the bed, wincing a little. “Oh. That. Well…” Kaoru began. “I was really upset so I was sitting in the kitchen and thinking. But then I started to feel kind of stupid… you know, telling you that everything had gotten out of hand.” Hikaru winced at the truth, but it went unnoticed. “So I stood up, ready to go back out and apologize, but when I reached up to grab the kitchen counter… I missed.”
 
Hikaru looked back at his brother. “And?”
 
“My hand hit the holding piece of a knife. Before I knew it… it was in my arm.” Kaoru laughed a little at his own stupidity but stopped when he noticed the look on his brother's face. “Hikaru…? What is it?”
 
His bangs covered his eyes as he spoke. “It's not something to laugh about…” He said softly. “You were hurt really bad… You could've… could've…”
 
“Hikaru…” Kaoru said as he saw a few tears fall from his brother's eyes and roll down his cheeks.
 
“What would I have done if you had died…? It would only be me… No one else would understand how I feel. How I think. Any of it…” Hikaru looked back up to his brother with tear stained cheeks and mournful eyes. “I'm sorry… Kaoru. It should've been me… not you. You don't disserve this. I do. I should've-” But he was cut off by something strange… and wonderfully unexpected.
 
Hikaru's eyes widened as he realized what had happened. Kaoru's hand coming in contact with his chin, forcing him forward. His brother's eyes closing as their lips grew nearer. The touch of soft skin against skin.
 
His lips parted slightly in surprise and a hot puff of breath touched Kaoru's lips, enticing him forward. As his brother deepened the kiss Hikaru found his eyes closing and he was leaning forward into it slightly. Kaoru leaned back until he was up against the wall behind his bed. He moved his hand to the back of Hikaru's neck and guided him forward, keeping their lips' contact.
 
Hikaru's hands settled down beside his brother's hips and his knees moved to either side of his brother's. They separated for a moment, looking into each other's eyes, almost checking that they wanted this, then moved forward again, completely indulging themselves in the other's mouth.
 
Their lips opened slightly and cautious tongues entered to explore the other's mouth. The twin's eyes drifted closed again and their hands began to wander across the other's body. Kaoru's ventured over his brother's chest and around to his back, tracing his spine with his fingers. Hikaru moved away from Kaoru's lips and trailed delicate kisses down the side of his neck, to his shoulder, and just above the rim of his collar.
 
The heart-rate monitor steadily grew faster in the background as he moved. Hikaru smiled at the quickening sound. “So… I affect you that much?” Hikaru said, looking back up into his brother's eyes. Kaoru blushed and looked away. Hikaru gripped his chin gently and turned his head back to face him. “Don't look away… I want to see your eyes.” Kaoru smiled softly and moved some hair away from his brother's face.
 
“Then I will never look away…” Suddenly there was a knock at the door and the two turned to look at the annoying piece of wood.
 
“I guess you'll have to…” Hikaru said before giving his brother a quick kiss and climbing off of the bed. “Come in!” He said loudly after readjusting himself in chair. It opened to reveal Hunny and Takashi.
 
“Where are the other two?” Kaoru asked.
 
“They're sorting things out with the doctors and I think the principle's coming soon.” Hunny reported proudly. “How are you feeling Kaoru?”
 
“Not my best, but better.” Kaoru said, readjusting in the bed and wincing slightly.
 
Hunny sat up on the bed making it bounce a little. “So when are you getting out of the hospital?”
 
“He's getting out of here tomorrow if all goes well.” Hikaru answered.
 
“That's good.” Hunny chimed.
 
“Well…” Kaoru said, looking at his brother. “It'll be nice getting back into my own bed.” The twins smiled at each other and their eyes seemed to sparkle with the idea. Takashi cleared his throat and the three of them turned to look at the taller man.
 
“It's time for your nap.” He said bluntly.
 
Hunny's face looked slightly saddened by the fact that it was indeed time to go, but he still climbed up onto Takashi's arm. “Bye bye Kaoru! Hope you feel better soon.” The tiny blonde said as he exited the room.
 
Once the door was closed the twins looked back at each other and Hikaru had a mischievous smile across his lips. “You really want to get back home that bad…?”
 
“Well…” Kaoru said blushing slightly. “Who said I just missed home?”
 
Hikaru looked at his brother's face and his smile softened into one of love. “I missed you too…”