Petite Princess Yucie Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses: Arc and Yucie ❯ A Future Unseen ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: “A Future Unseen”
Author: Wish Wielder
Pairing: Arc/Yucie
Fandom: Puchi Puri Yucie
Theme: #26 (if only I could make you mine)
Disclaimer: “Puchi Puri Yucie” and all respective properties are © Gainax/Yucie Committee. Meg “tN!!” D. (Wish Wielder) does not, has never, nor will ever own “Puchi Puri Yucie.”

“A Future Unseen”

Arc hadn’t realized he had fallen asleep until he awoke and saw the sun was nearing its evening point in the sky. He just didn’t remember dozing off. He also didn’t remember a time when he had been so unbelievably comfortable, and at first he regretted waking up. Waking up meant he would have to move, and it also meant he would have to figure out how he could be so comfortable when he was leaning against an old tree. Normally he wouldn’t be bothered by the fact, but the comfort was coming from a warm, soft mass that was lying on top of him. Seeing as how he also didn’t remember that mass being there before he lost consciousness, he felt it somewhat important to figure out just what it was.
Any worry he had felt towards the object vanished immediately when he opened his eyes and saw just what it was. He recognized it immediately as Yucie, and he was surprised to find it was her on top of him. What was she doing there? Why was she lying on him? Did she even realize she where she was?
He immediately chastised himself for thinking that; of course she didn’t know where she was. She couldn’t. Simply put, she wouldn’t be there if she did. Whenever there was a moment that could be considered ‘intimate’ between them, she spazzed. She would blush and get as far away from him as possible, and she’d get really nervous. He didn’t know if it was because she was extremely shy or because she had no interest in him, but he hoped it was the first option. There was something disheartening in the thought that she might not like him at all.
And yet, he knew that was likely the case. He sighed as he gently pulled her closer. His hand lazily ran through her long hair, and he gave her a thoughtful, depressed look. It had to be the case.
He wasn’t really much older than her - maybe only two or three years, despite how it looked. While that didn’t matter to him, he knew it was very important to her. She had told him as much the day she had discovered he was really the prince, when she had asked him to wait for her until she was an adult. He already saw her as an adult, but she didn’t. She couldn’t get past the curse that had trapped her in a ten-year-old’s body, and he knew she never would. Maybe that was why she never gave them a chance.
She had asked him once to treat her like an adult; he always thought he had. Still, he had kissed her that day. It hadn’t been his usual forehead-kiss, but it had been a real, mouth-kiss. She had never mentioned it again after that, and he felt it had done more to harm their relationship than it did to help them. She had been more jumpy around him after that, and it just seemed like she was putting more distance between them. He wished she would stop.
He saw her in his future. A slight smile came to his face as the thought brought back memories from the time they had first met, when they had been much younger. He hadn’t fully realized it at the time, but even though he had only been eight, a part of him had known she would be the one back then. His smile grew as he allowed himself to be lost in the memory.
He just had to get down from this wall and across the courtyard, then he’d be home free. He placed his foot in a notch between some of the bricks and steadily began to climb down. When he was close enough to the ground, he released the wall and fell. At least, he would have, if Frederik hadn’t grabbed him out of mid-air.
“Hey, let me go!” he said angrily as he began twisting in the air, trying to free himself from his guard.
“I don’t think so, young prince,” Frederik said with a chuckle. “Your mother wants to see you.”
“I can walk!” he cried. He continued wriggling the entire way to his mother. Frederik simply laughed at him, amused at the boy’s antics.
“Frederik, put him down,” Erlsel said when they entered the throne room. Frederik nodded and dropped the prince, who fell in a heap on the floor. Arc proceeded to stick his tongue out at the older man. “Aero, don’t be so disrespectful!”
“Sorry, mother,” Arc said sheepishly as he looked down.
“Now, where have you been? Are you hurt?” Erlsel asked as she walked over to him. She knelt down next to him and put a hand on his shoulder, studying him for any injuries.
“I’m fine, mother!” he whined. She nodded, satisfied, and smiled.
“Now, Aero,” she said, “where have you been? I’ve been worried.”
“I was helping a girl,” he said proudly. Her brows shot up in surprise and slight humor at this statement, and her smile turned to a grin.
“You were, were you? And just what were you helping her with?” she asked.
“A wolf attacked her,” he said, “and I saved her. And then she had to find these flowers, so I helped her find ‘em.”
“You could have been killed!” Erlsel said, her eyes wide. She looked him over once more, and he groaned.
“Mother, I’m fine!” he whined again. “I fought him off!”
He looked down as Erlsel frowned at him, but his mind was far away from the palace at that moment. He had followed the girl home after she had gotten her flowers, just to make sure she was ok, and he hadn’t been able to stop thinking about her since. He didn’t know why, but something inside made him worry about her. He wanted to see her again. Was this what his father had meant when he had told him he’d know his queen because he’d never want to leave her? He had thought his father was crazy back then, but now… He smiled as he looked up at his mother.
“I’m gonna marry her, mother,” he said. Her eyebrows shot up once more at his startling statement.
“You are now?” she asked, clearly amused by it all. He nodded fervently.
“Yep!” he said cheerfully. “I’m gonna marry her!”
Erlsel laughed and ruffled his hair.
“Ok, Aero,” she said. “You’ll marry her. Now go get cleaned up for dinner.”
“Yes, ma’am!” he said as he ran out of the room. He stopped when he saw Frederik smiling at him in the hall. “What?”
“Do you really think you’ll marry this girl, highness?” he asked. Arc rolled his eyes at him.
“You’re so weird, Frederik,” he said. “’Course I am!”
Frederik laughed as he began walking alongside his prince. He nodded and said, “We’ll see, young one. We’ll see.”
He knew his mother and Frederik hadn’t believed him back then, and, admittedly, he doubted he really believed himself. Still, a part of him had always remembered her. When he had run into her at the church, years later, he had recognized her. He didn’t realize exactly who she was until she had told him of the time he had rescued her, and he had been shocked to discover it really was her. Still, despite how young she still looked, something had drawn him to her. He had once again found himself longing to see her again, if only just for a moment. He didn’t know exactly when it happened, whether it was all those years ago or sometime in these past few months, and he didn’t know exactly how it happened, but she had unknowingly placed herself in his future.
He couldn’t say he’d marry her, not like he could back then, but he knew he wanted to. He wanted it so much…he wanted to spend his life with her. He wanted to wake up every morning just as he had done today, with her in his arms. He wanted to have kids with her, to take care of her when she was to old to do so herself. He wanted her.
And it hurt more than anything knowing that there was a very good chance she didn’t feel the same. Some things she did made him question this thought, but everything else screamed in its favor. What else could it be if not that? If she cared for him as much as he did her, she wouldn’t jump away from him like he had burned her whenever he held her. She wouldn’t shy away from him; she would actually give him - them - a chance.
She stirred slightly, and his eyes widened in panic. His grip unconsciously tightened on her as he prayed for her to stay asleep, even if it was just for a little longer. He didn’t want her to get up yet. He didn’t want her to leave him yet.
“Arc?” she asked groggily as she awoke. His eyes shot open as he realized she had known exactly where she was, and for a moment he didn’t know how to take it. He continued to toy with her hair as if she had said nothing, yet he nodded.
“Go back to sleep, Yucie,” he said quietly, pleadingly. ‘Please…just for a little longer. Go back to sleep.’
“M’k…” she whispered sleepily as she curled closer to him. A soft, almost heartbroken smile placed itself on his lips as he realized she probably didn’t have any idea what was going on, even if she did recognize him. When he was sure she was asleep, he leaned forward and kissed her forehead.
“I love you, Yucie,” he whispered. He saw a small smile curve her lips as she shifted slightly.
“Love you too, Arc,” she mumbled back. His brows furrowed together as that heartbroken smile returned.
‘If only you did, Forehead,’ he thought dismally. ‘If only you did.’

owari

a.n.:
Eh…kinda fluffy, kinda sad. I’ve been working on this one for a few days…it just didn’t want to write. I knew everything I’d put in it, but for some reason whenever I sat down to type it out the words just wouldn’t come. -gonk-
Also: this is a sole product of listening to K’s Choice’s “20.000 Seconds” non-stop for over 24 hours. XD I’d highly suggest listening to the song - it’s bloody gorgeous.

Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Please, don’t flame. If you can’t say your CC without flaming, don’t bother. Flames will be used to fuel Az’s bonfire for the yummy s’mores.