Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Heroes ❯ Brock vs. Kammy ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Author's Note: I'm hoping to start writing longer chapters. That is all.

"So where is this Gym, Jesse?" Kammy asked her friend. They were at a local Pokemon Center, preparing for Kammy's first Gym battle. "I don't know. All I know, is that we still haven't come across a lake or some place I can go fishing. I'll find out where the Gym is, you should probably call your mom". Kammy nodded, and made her way over to the phone, leaving Jesse to search for directions. On the video screen of the phone once again appeared Misty, former Cearulean gym leader. "Hello Kammy, I trust everything has gone well so far".
"Yeah, but I'm a bit nervous" Kammy replied with a small sigh. "Why is that?"
"I'm going to battle my first gym leader".
"Wow. I can understand why you would be nervous" Misty told her "What city are you in?"
"Pewter. The Viridian Gym leader wasn't there".
"Thats odd, he was missing when we first went by too". Misty said, thinking "What Pokemon have you caught?"
"There's Flare, as always, Mickey, a female Nidoran, and Bugs, a Weedle?"
"So you caught a bug Pokemon?" Misty said, trying not to sound nervous. "Yeah, but it was entirley accidental".
"Well, I know Brock likes to use Rock type Pokemon, and I know that you may have trouble beating him" Misty explained "But do your best. And good luck. By the way, how is my Staryu doing?"
"Its doing fine, Miss". Jesse said with a smile, returning from his search for directions "Its even managed to beat the Jr. Team Rocket twice now".
"Jr. Team Rocket?"
"Yeah mom" Kammy said "They say there the children of Jessie and James, the greatest Team Rocket operatives ever". Misty faught back a chuckle "No they weren't! Me and your father beat them numerous amounts of times". Kammy chuckled, and decided it was time to finally go face this Gym Leader. She hung up the phone, and followed Jesse to the Pewter Gym.

"Woah, this place his huge..." Jesse said, having to lean his head back to see the entire building. "I'm ready to take down this guy!" Kammy said, with a determined look in her eyes. They both stepped through the door, into a huge, dark arena. "I knew you'd come here some day" A mysterious voice said. "Are you the Gym Leader here?" Kammy yelled into the air. On the opposite side of the arena, appeared a tall man, with spiky brown hair, and lighter skin, and perpetually closed eyes. "Why are your eyes closed?" Jesse questioned. Brock paused momentarily, then stated "That is not important! What is, is that we battle! This battle will be a 3 on 3".
"Good. Lets battle!".
"Go, Zubat!" Brock yelled. He threw a Pokeball on one side of the arena, and out came a small, blue bat Pokemon with small wings, and no eyes. "A Zubat. That was unexpected. Go, Bugs!" Kammy yelled nervously. Out of her Pokeball appeared a small, yellow worm with a sharp horn on its head. "Round one, begin!" The referee said. "Zubat, use Wing Attack!" The bat flew at Bugs at an angle, aiming to hit it with a high speed wing. "Bugs, dodge and attack with Poison Sting". The Weedle jumped out the way, and then lunged at Zubat. It collided with the Zubat with its stinger, knocking it out of the air. It flapped its wings again, bringing it into the air. "Zubat, use Wing Attack again!" The Zubat charged at the Weedle again, this time scoring a direct hit. It was knocked back, and collasped, unconcious. "Bugs, return. Nice job" She said to her Weedle. In a flash of red light, the Weedle returned to its usual place in the Pokeball. "This isn't good. Kammy's already lost one Pokemon and the battle just go started".
"Now, go Mickey!" Kammy threw another Pokeball, releasing a female Nidoran. "Now Mickey, Tackle!" The small rabbit-like Pokemon charged at the Zubat, jumping into the air, and slamming into it. The bat Pokemon crashed into the floor, but quickly flew back into the air. "Zubat, use Supersonic!" Brock said. The bat Pokemon screeched, and Mickey became dizzy. "Mickey, are you okay?"
"Zubat, use bite!"
"Mickey, dodge and counter with a bite of your own". Mickey shook of her confusion, and jumped out of the way. Then, she bit the wing of the Zubat. It fell to the ground, unable to get up. "Zubat is unable to battle! Round 2 goes to challenger Kammy!"
"Zubat return" The bat returned to its Pokeball in a flash of red light. "Go, Geodude!" Out of this Pokeball, came a rock Pokemon with arms. "Geodude, Rock Throw!" Geodude picked up a few nearby rocks, and hurled them at Mickey. "Mickey, dodge!" Mickey dodged a few, but one collided with the side of it. "Mickey, are you okay?" The Nidoran struggled to its feet, but stood as strong as it could. "Okay! Mickey, Tackle!" Mickey charged at the Geodude, but to no avail. It crashed into Geodude, but it didn't affect him in any way. "Geodude, use tackle". Geodude flew at Mickey, and knocked it to the floor. It attempted to get up, but failed to do so. "Mickey is unable to battle! Round 3 goes to Brock".
"Mickey, return!" The Nidoran returned to its Pokeball. "Good job Mickey". She retrieved another Pokeball from her backpack. "Okay, its up to you. Go, Flare!" Kammy threw the Pokeball, and out came a red-orange lizard, with a flame on its tail. "Flare, use Scratch!" The Charmander clawed at the Rock Pokemon, but nothing happened. "Using a Fire Pokemon against my Rock types? How amatuer. Geodude, attack with Rock Throw!" Geodude lifted more rocks, and tossed them at Flare. "Flare quick, dodge!" The Charmander dodged through the many rocks that were thrown at him "Now, counter with Ember!" Flare blasted bunches of small balls of fire at the Geodude. "Geodude, shake it off and use Rock Throw again"
"Flare, quick, use ember again!" Geodude was in the process of lifting a rock when the Charmander shot its small blaze of fire at the rock with arms. It was encased in the blaze. When the flame cleared, it collasped, not moving. "Geodude is unable to battle! Round 4 goes to Kammy!"
"Interesting. You managed to make it passed a rock-type with a fire-type. Your Charmander is powerful. But there's no way it'll make it passed my next Pokemon. Go, Onix!"

Brock threw another Pokeball, and out came a large snake, composed entirely of rock. "Now, Onix, use your tackle attack!". The towering Onix quickly charged at the Charmander. "Flare, dodge!" Kammy said, but her command was issued too late. Onix slammed into the fire lizard, knocking it halfway across the arena. Flare was slow to his feet. "Okay Flare, lets try an ember attack!". Flare tried firing its small flame again, but nothing happened to the Giant Rock Snake. "Onix, use bind on Flare" Brock said calmly. Onix wrapped itself around the small lizard, and squeezed its body. It didn't take long until Flare passed out. "Flare is unable to battle. Round five and this battle goes to Brock!" The referee said. "Flare, return" Kammy said, obviously disappointed. Kammy had tears in her eyes. "Kammy, are you okay?" Jesse said, after watching everything that just happened. Kammy didn't answer. Instead, she instantly ran from the gym building. Jesse followed slowly behind her, with Brock glaring at them the entire time.

Jesse slowly followed Kammy, all the way to the Pokemon Center, where she sulked. 'I just don't get it' She thought in sorrow 'How can I beat this guy? None of my Pokemon have an advantage against him'.
"Kammy" Jesse said behind her. Kammy quickly wiped the tears from her eyes "Oh, hi Jesse. I'm sorry for running out earlier".
"Its okay, I understand" Jesse said with a smile "But I'm going to help you"
"How?"
"Easy. With a batttle.". Kammy jumped out of the couch she sat in "How is a battle against your Staryu going to help me?"
"Simple" James explained "This will give your Flare a chance to battle against a Pokemon he doesn't have much of an advantage against".

Outside of the Pokemon center, Jesse and Kammy both prepared for a battle. They stared each other down. "Okay, go Staryu!" Jesse yelled, throwing a pokeball. A brown star-like Pokemon appeared, with a round pink jewel in the middle of if appeared. "Alright. I choose you, Flare!" Kammy threw her Pokeball, and out appeared the flame lizard. With this, the battle began. "Okay Staryu, use water gun!" Staryu fired a stream of water directly at Flare. "Okay Flare, dodge, then use Scratch!" Flare jumped, and dashed at Staryu, clawing at it furiously. One claw managed to strike Staryu. "Okay Staryu, get up and use Harden!". Flare tried to scratch Staryu again, but Staryu wasn't affected. "Good! Now use Water Gun!" Staryu fired another stream of water at Flare, who was slammed full force. "Flare, are you okay?" Flare jumped right back to its feet. "Right on, Flare!" Kammy said in glee "Now, try Ember!" Flare shot a small stream of fire at Staryu. "Okay Staryu, use another water gun!". Staryu shot a stream of water through the small flame stream. "Yes! Now Flare, jump into the air, and use ember again!". The flame lizard flew into the air, and fired another stream of fire at the star shaped Pokemon. It collided, and instantly knocked Staryu out. "YAY! I WON! WOOHOOO!" Kammy yelled, jumping up and down. Jesse walked up to Staryu and whispered "Thanks for letting her win". He then returned Staryu to its Pokeball. "Well" Jesse said, turning his attention to Kammy "Do you want to challenge Brock again, with your recent training?"
"You bet" Kammy said with fire in her eyes. "Lets go!". They both walked back toward the Pewter gym, with Jesse thinking 'I hope this helps'.