Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma no Go? ❯ A Journey into the Future Part B ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Ranma no Go?

Summary : Uh oh! I never thought that I'll write another chapter after I finished writing the prologue. Anyway on the last chapter Ranma and his father began their training journey. They went to an antique shop to sell something that Genma stole and Ranma met Sai for the first time. After that, Ranma and Sai continues to influence each other and finally Ranma resolved to learn Go. Now let's go on with the show!

Disclaimer : I do not own nor do I take any profit from this and also I am NOT the owner of the following series 'Ranma 1/2' and 'Hikaru no Go'. If I do I won't be writing this fic am I

"..." Dialogues

'...' Thoughts

'...' Special emphasis


Chapter 02: A Journey into the Future Part B


Ranma, 10 Year old

Another year has passed, ever since he had decided to learn all he could about Go from Sai, Ranma was surprised to see his friend gained energy reserves that he had never seen before. Along the journey, it's difficult for Ranma learn since they do not know how to learn go without Go-ban. However it didn't stop them for long as Sai came with a brilliant idea of using the ground as their Go-ban and small stones as their Go-ke. At night, when Genma often went to go on a drinking binge somewhere, Ranma quickly drew 19 horizontal lines and 19 vertical lines crossing each other and after Ranma put rounded stones that he used as black in each star point, Sai eagerly start their late night Shidou-go.

Sai never thought that someone like Ranma would ever play go with him. Although he had learned from experience that Ranma often defied expectations, he is still surprised that the next day after their late night talk under the stars Ranma asks to learn go from him. His heart was filled with joy and happiness when he realize that he would be able to share the 'Gift of God' that is 'Go' with his 'little brother'. Ever since that night, Ranma continues to surprise him with his ability to absorb knowledge like a sponge when also applied to learning Go, Ranma's ability to play grows with each game he played. Sai could see that Ranma's ability in go starts to shine like a rough diamond being polished in each their game. Even if he was ruthless in their game, Sai could not wait for the day that Ranma will be able to grasp the finer point in Go and able to play more beautiful game with him.

Ranma is frustrated, he knew that it was unavoidable but that does not make it easier to swallow nevertheless. In Go, Ranma felt that he was reaching a wall that is slick and no matter what he does, he still could not understand the true depth within the Go-ban. No matter though, He IS Ranma Saotome and Ranma Saotome will never Lose! though it seems that his catch phrase needs to be revised to 'Ranma Saotome will never Give Up!' as he continues to be knocked down into place no matter in Martial Arts or Go by his two ruthless mentor. He often doubts his ability in Go as he starts to see the tip of Sai's skill in his Art though he would never said it in front of his face. He will confront Sai head-on and try to make Sai enjoy the time they spent as they played go.

Ranma, 11 Years old

They finally reached a temple after a week long walk through the forest. How come there is a temple deep in a forest Sai will never know but he will not complain as he see Ranma was delighted to finally be able to rest with a roof on their head without fearing wild animals that persists to interrupt their sleep. Genma insists to go to this temple after hearing the monks are formidable martial artists and hoping they would be willing to teach Ranma their Art. Sai do not doubt that they will teach Ranma though it depends on whether Genma's ability to restrain himself from stealing something of value as he often did to their kind hosts in the past.

Entering the temple, Ranma felt atmosphere of serenity that he rarely felt and hoping that his father will be able to restrain himself better. He still could not out-fight his father though now he could at least fight on a somewhat equal ground with his father. After the monk within the temple allows them to stay within the temple as long as they want with a condition that they will work with the monks. He saw his father agrees although he knew that he will be doing all the work including his father's work-load. At the very least he will be able to learn new martial art though and all the enjoyment of learning a new art is worth all the price of what he will pay in the end.

Sai often wondered how Ranma is able to withstand all the training that Genma has given but once he sees Ranma's face complexion, he knew that to Ranma, Art is a way of life and learning new kata is like gaining a worthy opponent in Go for him. Sai was truly glad that at least Ranma is able to find joy in life such as the one he find in Go.

One day, Ranma finished his early morning training and his dad is away to the nearest town to go on his drinking binge and perhaps making more marriage contract that Sai had told him. He could not do anything but he swore he will not let it go any further once he had gained enough strength to stop his father. On the alternate way back into the mess hall he saw what he never thought he would see here though, two old monks sitting down and playing Go on a side porch of the building. He grinned and together with his ghost friend ran to see the game.

Surprised and amazed, Sai never saw this section of the temple before so he never knew that there are monks playing go here and what truly struck his mind is the level of the go player playing the game in front of him. He could not wait for Ranma to let him play against them.

Ranma let Sai played go with the monks everyday and he defeated each one of those monks. Though one of the monk was giving Sai as good as he got to gain those win, Ranma could see that Sai's brilliance in his go that shines through all those games and he could also see Sai's go evolved in those games. He saw a side that he had never seen in before in Sai. His resolve strengthened to be better in go so that one day he could let Sai play those kind of beautiful games against him.


End of Chapter 02

OMG, I am on a roll today! I finished 3 chapters with a total of around 5k words in one sitting. Anyway I hope you guys enjoy my work. I wanted to portray Ranma's and Sai's growth as they nurtured each other in their own way. So... tell me where I need more work and I'll try to do better in the following chaps.

Hey! Thx for the idea Dumbledork! I can't wait for that too! I think I'm gonna use your idea if I could put it into writing as I've seen a Singaporean Manga titled 'Celestial Zone' that has two formidable character with similar fighting style that you mentioned.

Till next Chapter dear readers!