Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two Swords: The Tangled Web ❯ Heartbreaking Discovery ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay now we're going. Sorry it took so long to get this up. I was halfway finished when Florida Power and Light thought it would be fun to do a little power surge. Just enough to reboot my computer. Hahaha! Those crazy utility people!

Theoretically Metaphorical, Kinky Usagi, and lil_angel_miko: Thank you for teaching me how to spell. Hooray for Bakuryuuha. P.S. What in the hell does that mean in English?

Inuyasha lover: I forgive you. Smooches.

Disclaimer: Still not mine!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

It had been over an hour since Sango had watched Inuyasha and Kenshin disappear into the forest, and she was beginning to get worried. They had been following Inuyasha's distinct trail, and it seemed to just keep going. Kirara was fixed on his scent and was continuing above the treetops. Sango watched the ground for flecks of white or orange that could be their missing comrades. She was holding lightly on to the bloodied, bandaged hands around her waist. She was so amazed at Sanosuke. She had never seen a human kill even one demon with their bare hands before, yet he had killed many. She hadn't noticed his fighting skills at first. She was too busy fighting off her own demons. But when his sword flew by her after being knocked from his hands, she had been prepared to swoop down and rescue him. He didn't need rescuing though. He had held his own without a weapon against the demons. She had nearly been knocked off of Kirara while watching him. She had been so distracted. She was similarly distracted now. Sanosuke was leaning gently against her, still trying to regain some of the strength he had used. She could feel the contrast between the warmth of his breath and the chill of the air. She was tenderly stroking with her thumb the hands that had battled alongside her. She couldn't help but imagine what those rough hands would feel like against the softness of her skin. How sweet those lips must taste that were breathing against her neck. As annoying as Miroku's actions were, she found herself silently wishing that Sanosuke would act like him just once and touch her in the way she so desperately wanted. She had never felt so physically attracted to any one else before. She became so involved with her daydreaming that she almost missed what was below her.

"Oh my God!"

Miroku watched from Hatchi's back as Kirara took a sharp turn and headed toward the ground.

"Hatchi, follow them!"

"I can't! I can't turn that fast." Hatchi began to make what was to Miroku an agonizingly slow turn. He drifted downward, and close to the ground, he reverted to his true form. Miroku sprinted through the woods to catch up with Sango and Sanosuke. Had they found Inuyasha and Kenshin? When he came upon a little creek, he saw what he had wanted to see least. Sango was kneeling on the ground, and Sanosuke had his arms wrapped comfortingly around her. She was shaking with tears, and he was gently smoothing her hair in an effort to calm her. Miroku felt a twinge of jealousy tug at his heart. He wondered why he hadn't just pulled Sanosuke into his kazanna along with the demons instead of rescuing him. Then it would be him holding the sweet demon slayer. She would be sobbing in his chest, begging for reassurance. Then he caught a glimpse as to why this scene was even taking place at all. All the angry thoughts he held against Sanosuke got pushed to the back of his mind as he looked at what lay beside Sango. It was a young boy with jet-black hair. He looked fine except for the fact that he wasn't breathing, and there was a small hole in his back where something had obviously been removed. He was soaked from head to toe. Judging by the similar state of Sango, it was her that had pulled him from the tiny river. Miroku stared at the boy in the short purple kimono and placed a cloth-covered hand over his mouth. Sango continued weeping as she pulled Sanosuke impossibly closer.

"Oh God! Why? Kohaku!"

Kagome's heart beat wildly as she felt the familiar ooze of the green liquid that surrounded her. She knew what this liquid was supposed to do, and she fought hard to keep her soul within her. She wasn't going through this again. She'd already lost her soul twice. It wasn't a pleasant experience. But it was so difficult to keep the horrible concoction from doing its job. She could barely hear the voices above her.

"She's holding on quite well."

"Of course she is you old witch. She's been there before. Surprisingly the other one is too. That's okay they won't be able to hold out much longer. Especially not when I tell them what's going on." Naraku walked carefully over to the tub that Kagome was lying in. He looked at her over the edge and watched as she shuddered when she saw his face.

"Kagome, how hard it must be to stay there like that. You know it would be so much easier for everyone if you'd just do what you're supposed to. Then I can give your soul back to who it belongs. Inuyasha's true love, Kikyo." Kagome's heart skipped a beat at the mention of the hated name. It was just long enough for her soul to escape the confines of her body. It hovered above her, unsure of what to do. Naraku smiled and walked over to Kaoru's tub.

"And you Miss… Kaoru I believe it was? I heard that name when I was watching a red headed human who is tagging along with Inuyasha. He spoke it right after killing some of my best demons. I never knew a human could kill so many, but he did. He is heartless indeed. Truly a killing machine." Naraku watched as Kaoru's soul burst forth from her. Kenshin killing was too much for her. He had known it would be. His insects that showed the world in Kanna's mirror had given him that information. He stepped back and looked at his handiwork. He was thoroughly pleased with himself. Now he could give Kikyo real life again. A part of him begged for that. It wanted noting more but for Kikyo to be happy and alive. And with him. He was surprised when Urasue gasped. He looked at the wrinkled old woman.

"What is it?" She pointed to the souls that had begun to move. They circled around each other in their brilliant white light. Their spinning became faster and faster, and they moved closer and closer, until they merged solidly into one soul.

"I told you they were the same." Naraku glared at her.

"How could this have happened?"

"There can't be two souls on one plane of existence. Time and space won't allow it. When they were trapped inside the girls' bodies, they could not get out to merge together, but we released them. So they became one again."

"Oh well, it doesn't matter. Kikyo only needs one soul. All she has to do is be near the released soul, and it will rush into her right?"

"Yes. That's the final step." Naraku glared at the old woman.

"Good." With swift hands, he ripped the shard in her back out. Her face contorted and she fell fading again to dust and ashes. Naraku placed the shard in with the jewel he had. Only three pieces left. Only three more shards to make the power complete. Suddenly, a disturbance brought his attention away from the small pink ball.

"Kanna! Gather some demons. The barrier has just been broken!"

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Moving forward is a very good thing. Sorry about killing Kohaku. I had to for the future of the story. Please review!