Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two Swords: The Tangled Web ❯ Power of the Jewel ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Read my new songfic, "Dear Me." I think it's pretty good.

Disclaimer: They are not mine!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Inuyasha clung desperately to Kagome's lifeless body. He watched her soul dart around above them. His Bakuryuuha had destroyed Naraku, and the first thing he had done was run to her side. He pressed her small form close to him. He felt tears begin to well up in his eyes. All the worry that he had caught up with him. For the past few days, he hadn't had time to worry. He had been too busy fighting off demons and trying to reach her side to have time to be upset. But now all he had were his worries. He clutched her like she was a lifeline. There were so many things he wanted to say to her. That he cared about her more than anything. That he needed her. That he loved her. But that's not what came out of his mouth. All he could do was beg.

"Please come back to me, Kagome." His soft plea fell on deaf ears. Her eyes were open but unseeing. They were glazed over and lacked her usual spark. They lacked any spark whatsoever. He was beseeching an empty shell. There was nothing there to respond to him at all. Sango and Miroku watched sadly, but Shippo couldn't. He couldn't witness the scene. It broke his small heart. It hurt too much to see. He wandered over to where the battle had been barely moments before. In the middle of the smoking pile of remains that was Naraku, something lay forgotten. Shippo reached out a tentative hand. He could feel the shards around his neck reacting. The jewel wanted to be whole again. The small kitsune placed the shards on the jewel and watched in amazement as they melded together. The jewel was complete. The power coming from it was incredible. He ran to Inuyasha's side holding out the little glass ball.

"Inuyasha, look!" Inuyasha gave a reluctant glance at Shippo. He didn't want to take his eyes off of Kagome. He turned back toward the girl without acknowledging Shippo's find.

"Please, Kagome. Please come back." He buried his face in her hair. Shippo tugged at him. What was he doing? This was what he had been searching for so long.

"Inuyasha, the jewel is whole." Inuyasha lifted his head angrily. He glared at Shippo like he had threatened his life. He let go of Kagome with one hand for just a moment to knock the jewel away. It tinkled down the floor and rolled to a stop. Inuyasha looked at it distastefully.

"I don't care about the stupid jewel anymore! I just want Kagome back! What's the point in using the jewel if I can't be happy? I need Kagome to be happy!" Suddenly, the body in his arms arched. The soul flew straight into it, and her tiny mouth took a deep breath.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha held her. She looked back up at him. The spark had returned.

"Inuyasha, you said you needed me to be happy."

"I do." She returned his embrace and pressed her forehead against his. She playfully kissed the end of his nose. He couldn't help himself after that. She was so close, so willing. He gathered her lips to his in a soul-searing kiss. She could feel the warmth of it all the way down to her toes. He released her after a moment and looked into her eyes.

"How do you feel? Are you okay?" She looked up at him happily. He had kissed her. He had done it all on his own.

"I'm fine. I feel so, so complete." She struggled to find the last word. Complete was the only one that fit. She felt full and happy. She felt warm and safe. She felt loved. Shippo hurried over to her, once again carrying the jewel they had worked so hard to reassemble. She delicately took it from his hand. The ball was instantly purified. She smiled and placed it in Inuyasha's palm. She closed his fingers around it.

"This is yours. I'm sorry I broke it." He squeezed her again and stood up. He was ready to use the power of the jewel. Kagome stared up at him. She was harboring a little fear. She was worried that he would use it to become a full demon, just like he always wanted to. Since the first day she met him, that's what he had dreamed of. But Inuyasha had no such plans for the jewel. He had realized over time that there was something more important in his life. Something beautiful that smelled of wildflowers. Something he needed more than full demonhood. He clutched the ball. He smelled the air hard, savoring the scents. After all, these were the last moment he was going to be able to smell them. He looked down at his claws and his white hair. He twitched the ears on his head. He was going to give it all up. He was ready to be vulnerable every day. He was going to become human. He would do that for Kagome. So she could live out her days by his side. Human husband and human wife. He didn't care where or in what time period. He just wanted to be with her. He exhaled slowly and prepared to make his wish. Then Kagome's soft voice stopped him.

"Oh my God." He looked over to her. Her attention was fixed on something a few feet away from her. Something small with bright orange hair. It was Kenshin. His head was hanging low over Kaoru's still motionless body. He couldn't understand why Kagome was okay, but Kaoru still lay limp in his arms. He trembled as he pushed back the stray hairs from her face. No one had ever seen him so upset. Not even the consciousless girl. Kagome placed her small hand over her mouth. She knew why Kaoru was still soulless. Kaoru's soul had merged with hers. She could feel it inside her. Especially when she looked at Kenshin. She could feel the love for him pounding through her veins. Kenshin looked up. His gaze rested squarely on Inuyasha. No one else even got a glance. The hanyou nearly flinched as their eyes met. Kenshin's were violet again, and they held an enormous amount of pain that Inuyasha could barely comprehend. After all, his love had woken up. Her lips kissed back when he pressed against them. Had it not been for his demon hearing, he probably would have missed the samurai's hushed words.

"I don't believe she is coming back like Miss Kagome, Inuyasha. That I don't." Then his head dropped again, and everyone watched the tears drip off of his chin. Sanosuke grabbed on to Sango and held her tightly. He couldn't even begin to imagine Kenshin's pain. Inuyasha looked on dumbly. He turned his glance from the grief stricken manslayer to Kagome, then back again. His face locked. He had made a decision. He gripped the jewel in his hands and mumbled words no one could hear. Suddenly, a small wisp of white came out of Kagome's mouth. She watched, stunned as it floated toward the couple. Kenshin looked down at Kaoru's features, now wet with his tears. Her body arched up, catching him off guard. Slowly, her lids fluttered open. She looked deeply into his eyes.

"Kenshin?" Kenshin grabbed her close and pressed into her lips. He had been so scared. Kagome smiled at them then looked at Inuyasha who was still standing next to her. A single tear was making its way down his cheek. His clawed hands hung loosely at his sides. They were empty. The jewel was gone.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Okay, at least three more chapters left! Maybe four. Please review!

P.S. See why I killed Kohaku now? I need the jewel to be complete. I needed his piece.