Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Aurora ❯ Mission ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or the story of Mulan.
A/N: Here is another chapter for you. Read and review. Thanks. Note: the Prologue was in third person POV, but the story is mainly from Kaoru's POV unless otherwise noted.
Where we last left off:
Kaoru looked up as she heard a horse in the distance. Walking to the gate, she noticed a soldier stopping in front of her.
"I have a letter for you," he announced. He handed her the white envelope.
"Thank you," she replied. He rode away.
She turned the envelope and froze, realizing who it was from.
NOTE:
iiiii are thoughts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
I tore open the letter once I saw the government insignia on it. Walking back to the dojo, I sat on the steps and read the letter.
Miss Aurora,
Once again, our country is in dire need of your services.
A new band of terrorists are causing havoc along the coastline.
It seems that they are trying to prevent the Meiji Era from achieving peace.
We have also sent a letter to Mr. Himura, requesting his assistance as well.
Together, both of you can achieve great things.
Please reply as soon as possible to this letter.
We know that Mr. Himura does not know of your "other" life.

In the name of your father, please do this for us.
I quickly scanned the letter before crumbling it up and stuffing it into my shirt.
"How dare they use my father's name to get me to do their dirty work!"
It wasn't long ago that the government found out I was Aurora. Once they did, Mr. Yamagata (I do not remember his name. If anyone does, please tell me.) called on me to try to work for them like they did to Kenshin.
Of course, I told them no. I am still not ready for the world to know who I really am. Kenshin doesn't remember, why should anyone else.
I heard a sound behind me andstood up quicklyquickly.
Kenshin stood there, staring at me as if I was crazy.
"Why are you still up Miss Kaoru?" he asked.
"I couldn't sleep, Kenshin," I replied. His eyes darted around looking for something.
"Was there someone here?" he asked.
"No," I replied, hiding my emotions. He couldn't possibly know...could he?
"Shouldn't you be asleep as well?" I changed the subject.
"I thought I heard something," he replied.
"I would've screamed by now if anyone was here," I said. Yeah, right.
"You should go back to bed," I continued.
He nodded and walked off, but not without giving me one last glance.
I sat back down.
I hate keeping secrets from you, Kenshin. I really, really do.
I went inside and grabbed my jacket. I started down the walkway to the police station. I didn't notice a shadow lurkingbehind me.
………
………..
*A/N: Should I leave it here?...Nah!*
………
……..
I must do this! I must protect the people. It's what father would have done.
I made it to the police station. I went inside and asked to speak with Mr. Yamagata. Once that was done, I was lead to another room.
"Hello, there Miss Kaoru," he greeted me.
"No time for formalities," I responded, "why me?"
"You have never been corrupted by war," he explained, "Mr. Himura is just learning to be at peace again. You seem like the one who can help him with this mission."
"Is that all I am?" I asked, "A helper? To help Kenshin fight?"
"Not fight," he replied, "to make peace."
"What am I supposed to do?" I asked.
"You will head to Kyoto and make your way up and down the coast, stopping any terrorists along the way," he explained, "you must do so discreetly. I do not want word out to the other government officials."
"About what?" I taunted, "That you have a girl doing this mission? No one will ever know that I am a girl."
"Except me," Yamagata replied.
"And me," a voice spoke.
I turned and froze.
I was staring into the violet eyes of Kenshin Himura.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Read and review!